As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] Jack and the Ghost of Alenko's Past

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Just got all of the new DLC, and so far all I've done is the Kasumi quest. (didn't realize she voiced the girl monster on AHHH! Real Monsters until I looked it up, because her voice was familiar)

I love the Arc Projector. That thing has made clearing hordes so much easier.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    kalkal Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The water and lava was nice as well. Also did anyone else shoot the wildlife?

kal on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    wait

ive been using the Arc projector to annihilate the shields of the big "boss" type enemies (gunships & YMIRs)

am i doing it wrong?

Joolander on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Overlord's writing is top-notch, not so much for the dialogue, of which there isn't a whole lot, but for all of the clever little "Heh" moments, and Shepard's immaculately timed reactions to them. The entire mission, of course, leads up to Shepard Pressing A Button, and before he presses it he says to his teammates, "Get ready, I wouldn't be surprised if pushing this thing summons a Reaper."

Shepard was pretty annoyed throughout, like he couldn't believe Cerberus called him for this shit again.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    "Don't tell me, let me guess, the Illusive Man was about to shut this project down so you threw all caution to the winds and went with the craziest, most risky plan while disabling all safeguards, right ?"

"Um, yes, pretty much."

"Slap him for me, Grunt."

Fairchild on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    SkannerJAT wrote: »
    So I started an Insanity run with a Vanguard. Dear God is it slow going. The fights take forever it seems. Am I missing something with my strategy. I am still low level so my Charge is like level 2. Which does not seem to matter as I cannot charge until the end of a fight as I end up surrounding and out of luck. Any suggestions? I played Soldier last time so this is all new to me.

This is my first run with Zaeed and Kasumi though. She is pretty awesome with her Shadowstrike. Zaeed is one scary looking mutha'.

honestly i would import a level 60 save just so you can max charge at the beginning
    Joolander wrote: »
    wait

ive been using the Arc projector to annihilate the shields of the big "boss" type enemies (gunships & YMIRs)

am i doing it wrong?

nope

it's probably the most versatile heavy weapon :^:

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    i kinda thought that was its only use though

does the arc jump through crowds and stuff?

Joolander on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Joolander wrote: »
    i kinda thought that was its only use though

does the arc jump through crowds and stuff?

sure does

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    -Tal wrote: »
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Overlord's writing is top-notch, not so much for the dialogue, of which there isn't a whole lot, but for all of the clever little "Heh" moments, and Shepard's immaculately timed reactions to them. The entire mission, of course, leads up to Shepard Pressing A Button, and before he presses it he says to his teammates, "Get ready, I wouldn't be surprised if pushing this thing summons a Reaper."

Shepard was pretty annoyed throughout, like he couldn't believe Cerberus called him for this shit again.

"You've got to be kidding me."

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    Jedi_BoiJedi_Boi Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So here's a new one... all my xbox disk's are working fine except my ME2 disk 1.

I discovered this when I was asked to put in disk 1 and it wouldn't work. It's lurching while trying to spin the disk, and then it won't work. On my dashboard it says my tray is open.

My ME2 disk 1 looks in perfect condition on the bottom compared to my disk 2 which has some scratches but works fine.

HALP!

Jedi_Boi on
    i.imgur.com/DG7Jj7H.jpg
    Godspeed, Ironsides.
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Forar wrote: »
    Finally finished ME2 on the weekend, and holy shit was that a crazy ride. They ramped the Epic up past what I expected, and having been a bit of a completionist before I went on the final run, it was very, very satisfying to see my work pay off without even knowing how it would do so.
    Without any help I managed to get 9/10 back on the the suicide run (for some reason when Miranda was my Biotic shield, Jack got eaten by the swarm. Had Samara as the shield on my second playthrough of that section, and everyone made it back easily).

As an FYI on your squad member death there...
    Miranda's actually not a strong enough biotic for the shield. Jack and Samara are the only ones who can pull it off properly. Despite being a perfectly good choice as a SQUAD LEADER, she manages to give some questionable advice on that choice. "In theory" indeed.

Bobble on
  • Options
    BansheeBanshee Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Finished ME1 on the weekend, and immediatly started ME2... I'm glad I played ME1, since I got to know the story, and especially the characters and get to care about them, but goddamn, ME2 is so much better.

Banshee on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Banshee wrote: »
    Finished ME1 on the weekend, and immediatly started ME2... I'm glad I played ME1, since I got to know the story, and especially the characters and get to care about them, but goddamn, ME2 is so much better.
    Isn't it, tho ? It seems like ME1 was created just to demonstrate further what a brilliant freakin' game ME2 really is.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Bobble wrote: »
    Finally finished ME2 on the weekend, and holy shit was that a crazy ride. They ramped the Epic up past what I expected, and having been a bit of a completionist before I went on the final run, it was very, very satisfying to see my work pay off without even knowing how it would do so.
    Without any help I managed to get 9/10 back on the the suicide run (for some reason when Miranda was my Biotic shield, Jack got eaten by the swarm. Had Samara as the shield on my second playthrough of that section, and everyone made it back easily).

Miranda's actually not a strong enough biotic for the shield. Jack and Samara are the only ones who can pull it off properly. Despite being a perfectly good choice as a SQUAD LEADER, she manages to give some questionable advice on that choice. "In theory" indeed.

Good to know.
    I based my choice off the cutscene where you see Jack and Miranda sparring, and figured they were about equal in strength, so hopefully either would've been a fine choice. Apparently not.

However, one thing I did feel was a bit off was the fact the swarm was able to get Jack at all? If any biotic could produce the protective shield (though some better than others), couldn't Jack have at least protected herself? I actually stacked my party for that section with (I believe) Jack and Samara, hoping that the extra biotic strength would cover any gaps. The way the cutscene plays out, it's not like the swarm gets the drop on her either, so she totally should've been able to throw up some kind of personal shield or augmented what Miranda had in place?

But that's probably a little too much anal retentive attention to detail. I just seemed conspicuous that it'd be specifically pointed out that any Biotic could've put up the shield, and then... a Biotic gets eaten?

Stranger yet that apparently Jack is one of the two people who can do it properly? Bitch, if you can support the whole group for five minutes, surely you could've protected yourself for 10 seconds?

Bah! It would've made more sense if I'd had a non-Biotic in the group, and they'd gotten eaten instead, but somehow one of the most badass Biotics in the universe goes down like a little bitch (well, I suppose one could argue that she'd been throwing powers and paying attention to getting the group there, showing that the faith in "the cheerleader" was misplaced, but that's another issue).

But seriously, it was awesome.

Oh, and I'm a pansy and ignored all of the romance options, in the hopes that it leads to something good in ME3.

But I did youtube the results. >.>

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Why cant I Bring Down the Sky

I had it installed before, then I uninstalled ME to make room for something else.

now i reinstall ME, and Bring DOwn the Sky keeps canceling after the CDkey entry.

I tried uninstalling ME, deleting everything that the uninstall didnt take care of, rebooting, then reinstalling and Bring Down the Sky still wont install

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Forar wrote:
    But I did youtube the results. >.>

Youtube Mordin's comments on them as well.

Bobble on
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Seriously, after having played through ME2 again, I can safely say that even beating Sovereign and blowing Saren's brains out wasn't as satisfying as
    Telling the Illusive Man to stick it up his ass. Why didn't I do that the first time?

Goddamn, that felt good. It's MY ship now, bitch, don't call me again.

I love these games so much.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Isn't the biotic the only job that doesn't have 3 valid choices?

Squad Leader: Garrus, Miranda, Jacob
    Vents: Tali, Legion, Kasumi
    Biotic: Jack, Samara
    Hold the Line: Grunt, Zaeed, Garrus

That leaves Thane and Mordin. Most people use Mordin to send the crew back (and he technically already completed the job that he was recruited for anyways), but what about Thane? I actually wouldn't mind Thane being allowed to be a valid biotic choice though it would seem a little strange since most people think of him as an assassin instead of a biotic and allowing him to do that implies he's a better biotic than Miranda.

Lars on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Thane's job was to sell the game. His role was 2-part:
    1) Be on the cover (surprise! New alien race that you didn't have in the first game!)
    2) Star in an absolutely mind-blowing teaser video that gets everyone frothing over the Assassin they'll be recruiting.

Bobble on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Heard the same thing myself. Used Jack to project the bubble.

I'm a little embarrassed to admit how much I enjoyed that one section though. I mean, it's not an incredible concept--basically, you're trapped in a small area and you tell your biotic when to move up, but something about the execution made it fun as hell.

I really enjoyed the last "mission" in ME2.

Also, gotta go get my hands on Overlord.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    SkannerJAT wrote: »
    So I started an Insanity run with a Vanguard. Dear God is it slow going. The fights take forever it seems. Am I missing something with my strategy. I am still low level so my Charge is like level 2. Which does not seem to matter as I cannot charge until the end of a fight as I end up surrounding and out of luck. Any suggestions? I played Soldier last time so this is all new to me.

This is my first run with Zaeed and Kasumi though. She is pretty awesome with her Shadowstrike. Zaeed is one scary looking mutha'.

Get Heavy Charge as soon as possible. If you have points in anything else, take them out and get heavy charge. Equip the Eviscerator. Flank with charge and shoot with charge and recharge shields with charge.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So, ME1 isn't a bad game by any stretch of the imagination, but it is pretty astoundingly bland.
    Hopefully the second game is good enough to be worth slogging through the first.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    ME2 is one of the most solid games I've played hands down. I even got my wife to play through it and she hates games with FPS style combat.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    edited June 2010
    I want to play mass effect but I wont play it without bring down the sky why wont you let me install bring down the sky mass effect i've shown you nothing but gracious love and admiration

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »

Heard the same thing myself. Used Jack to project the bubble.

I'm a little embarrassed to admit how much I enjoyed that one section though. I mean, it's not an incredible concept--basically, you're trapped in a small area and you tell your biotic when to move up, but something about the execution made it fun as hell.

I really enjoyed the last "mission" in ME2.

Also, gotta go get my hands on Overlord.

I don't really love that section and I'm generally not a fan of Jack, but the way that section ends if you're using Jack is pretty awesome.

Edit: About 5 minutes in on this video

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    as for the biotic section in ME2
    Does the biotic bubble fail if you take to long? I always feel rushed doing it

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    About the Miranda thing in the end mission:
    I didn't do a whole lot of actually playing the game, so when things quieted down in the last month and I actually got to play, I ran into the exact same problem in the endgame section where I chose Miranda to maintain the bubble. Don't worry, you guys aren't alone.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Replaying ME1 is hard work. Guys please stop shooting me in the back and standing in the open taking rockets to the face and running in front of me when I'm aiming at dudes. Is a lobotomy a standard Alliance entry requirement or something?

Also can't decide whether to romance Ashley, which I always find really annoying, or Liara, which I find really awkward. Tempted to go with Ashley specifically so I can cheat on her in ME2.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Funny bit of trivia.

I've never played a game of ME where Ashley didnt die in the glory of nuclear fire.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ashley is one of the best female characters in either ME1 or ME2. I don't understand the ridiculous amount of flak she gets from people.

Edit: Also, I'm two pages late, but no matter! Team Sovereign represent!

Ad astra on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    smof wrote: »
    Replaying ME1 is hard work. Guys please stop shooting me in the back and standing in the open taking rockets to the face and running in front of me when I'm aiming at dudes. Is a lobotomy a standard Alliance entry requirement or something?

Also can't decide whether to romance Ashley, which I always find really annoying, or Liara, which I find really awkward. Tempted to go with Ashley specifically so I can cheat on her in ME2.

Why yes, yes it is. Otherwise, your companions wouldn't insist on square dancing around cover (instead of using it as cover) and shooting at walls endlessly.

Also, I'm with you on Ashley. I fully planned to romance her, but she seems way too eager to jump down my throat. I don't think she's particularly racist or anything like that--I do think she needs to chill the fuck down from time to time in casual conversation.

Granted, you are on a dangerous mission. Everyone else seems to be handling it better though.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I just find every topic of conversation she brings up annoying. I don't care about your family, Ashley, or your hyper-sensitivity about your military record, or your religion, or your views on aliens, and shut up with your poetry.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I just find every topic of conversation she brings up annoying. I don't care about your family, Ashley, or your hyper-sensitivity about your military record, or your religion, or your views on aliens, and shut up and die in nuclear fire

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I found Kaiden to be annoying, the extant of his conversations were "Waaa! I killed a Turian, but he was a jerk, and you see, there are aliens that are jerks and then there are nice aliens, they are just like us! And if we all hold hands things we'll be wonderful!"

Kaiden is always one with the atom in my playthroughs.

Ad astra on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Funny bit of trivia.

I've never played a game of ME where Ashley didnt die in the glory of nuclear fire.

same here. she wants to redeem her family name, and i ain't gonna stand in her way.

i always have kaiden guarding the nuke, so when decision time comes up, it's the mission first and ashley second. even the one time i WANTED to actually save her, (i was aiming for both kaiden's and ashley's companion achievements) kaiden's hadn't triggered yet. sooo yet again she bites the nuclear dust. i think it's fate.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    See a lot of people reckon Kaiden or Jacob are the boring characters but I can't help thinking their stories are more interesting than Ashley's. I mean ME1 people alone-

Kaiden: I have magical powers and murdered my teacher
    Wrex: My race is going extinct because of biological warfare and I vent my annoyance by killing everyone
    Liara: I also have magical powers, and I've been studying a super-advanced extinct alien race for a century
    Tali: My people attempted to genocide a slave race we created, oops
    Garrus: I was a space cop and this one time I hunted down a crazy doctor who was harvesting organs from inside living people
    Ashley: This one time my sister totally punched a guy who was coming on to her

But hey, opinions/assholes

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    you know what i wanted

i wanted to take jacob along on horizon

i figure reasonable guy B should be able to convince reasonable guy A to come to an equitable meeting of the minds

but if jacob and kaiden ever met it'd probably end the universe or something

TOO MUCH BLAND AMIRITE

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I wonder who would win in a feat of biotic prowess

Jacob or Kaiden

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Jacob because he uses his teeth as a shield

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Jacob because he uses his teeth as a shield

but can they withstand

a full-on biotic kick

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png