As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dead hard drive? (mp3 player)

victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
edited January 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I recently bought a Zen Micro from a friend and after a month of use the player now hangs while booting up (Hangs at the creative screen).

As I put my ears close to the player, this is what I hear: mp3 file of erratic buzzing noises emitting from the player

It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
victor_c26 on

• Options
    robaalrobaal Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I can't imagine anything else than the HDD making the noise...

Here's a guide to taking it apart, but finding a micro drive that will work might be a bit hard, as it seems you'd need one that uses the CF interface but behaves like a computer HDD instead of like flash memory and it seems that that kind of micro drives come mainly in mp3 players and possibly in 1" portable hard drives - but with the latter usage there's also a good chance that the drive will be using a "flex" interface (basically IDE in the form of a ribbon).

Here's a thread on some forum that discusses those drives and their CF differences.

robaal on
    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra when suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath.
    At night, the ice weasels come."

• Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm looking at ST1 prices and they're not looking all that reasonable ($100-$240) considering I bough it for $100. Hmm.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.