As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This is a now Crusader Kings Thread [OP Updated re: CK2]

• jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The Game has its bugs, even after few years of patching and deus vult expansion.

Does anyone know if the patches have raised the costs of sea transportation?
    I have a infidels to smite in Spain and to transport a decent sized army from Balkans costs about 3000 $ !

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There's just something unfair about having Alexandria in an incredibly prosperous state. 16000 men marching across Northern Africa is unstoppable (plus they occasionally decide to send some of them fancy Moslem technologies up to our redneck Siciilian lands). They've marched through Cyrencia, Tripoli and Tunis in the succession war. Not only did I keep my empire intact, I added some new lands to it.

I have Byzantion from the last crusade and it's similar. The income is currently around 25. I can't wait to start a war in the area.

Sir Carcass on
  • EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Alexandria seems to be great for that yeah, but don't discount both Venice and I think Genoa (maybe it's Nice).

Those two provinces, Byzantion and Alexandria (according to some color coded map I saw) out produce every other province in the game once upgraded/fully loyal by a few orders of magnitude if the map is to be believed.

Money wise anyway. Not sure about troops. Probably.

Endomatic on
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    One thing that I hate about the DVIP is the alleged "solution" to prevent breeding superhumans. Apparently characters in late game might end up with ridiculous scores without it. It's just that the reductions this "fix" makes mean that my children more often than not end up gibbering idiots no matter how accomplished the parents are or how well the education goes. My dynasty tends to end up outmatched by most AI characters due to this in every respect.

"What's that? You have a gifted child with stats of 9, 4, 12, 8? Well, fuck you, your kid's stats are now 2, 2, 0, 1."

This wouldn't be so bad, if the three neighboring muslim ubermensch didn't have a minimum martial skill of 15, and average of 6-8 in the other skills. I'm all for realism, but this fix needs to go. It's not realistic for every child in the family to become a retard at the age of 10, regardless of genetics.

Rhan9 on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I agree. It's pretty easy to just edit your save file to fix it, though.

Sir Carcass on
  • RebootReboot Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just curious - what speeds do you guys play on, usually. I stick with normal but the years crawl sometimes.

Reboot on
    edited July 2010
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    One thing that I hate about the DVIP is the alleged "solution" to prevent breeding superhumans. Apparently characters in late game might end up with ridiculous scores without it. It's just that the reductions this "fix" makes mean that my children more often than not end up gibbering idiots no matter how accomplished the parents are or how well the education goes. My dynasty tends to end up outmatched by most AI characters due to this in every respect.

"What's that? You have a gifted child with stats of 9, 4, 12, 8? Well, fuck you, your kid's stats are now 2, 2, 0, 1."

This wouldn't be so bad, if the three neighboring muslim ubermensch didn't have a minimum martial skill of 15, and average of 6-8 in the other skills. I'm all for realism, but this fix needs to go. It's not realistic for every child in the family to become a retard at the age of 10, regardless of genetics.

What happens? Does it just take stats away?

I had this happen to my rulers' kids constantly. Losing between 0 and 3 stat points for no reason.
    I think that might be some stupid bullshit in DVIP though because it gives absolutely NO reason for the loss.

It's just a random event that seems to come up once a year for a random kid in my family.

Endomatic on
    edited July 2010
    Reboot wrote: »
    Just curious - what speeds do you guys play on, usually. I stick with normal but the years crawl sometimes.

I usually play on Fast but I pause very frequently. Pretty much any time I'm looking at sometime or an event pops up, I hit pause.
    Endomatic wrote: »
    Rhan9 wrote: »

What happens? Does it just take stats away?

I had this happen to my rulers' kids constantly. Losing between 0 and 3 stat points for no reason.
    I think that might be some stupid bullshit in DVIP though because it gives absolutely NO reason for the loss.

It's just a random event that seems to come up once a year for a random kid in my family.

It is something DVIP adds. His reasoning is that in vanilla stats for children are too high and eventually the world is populated with superhumans. This is a way to tone them done. I assume it happens to all children, not just yours. It could probably be turned off by editing the script if it bothers you that much.

Sir Carcass on
    edited July 2010
    It makes sense, but I'm receiving complete retards for my 2nd generation.

I should find it and turn it off.

Endomatic on
    edited July 2010
    Reboot wrote: »

Maximum speed, with liberal use of pause button, when doing stuff.

Man this game gets sometimes annoying. My king got depressed, which meant infertility. And no male bloodline members anywhere!
    Played some more, saved, quitted, installed the dvip & loaded neighbouring hungarian kingdom.

First thing first. Got some crusading to do in sicily. 10000 men on boats. +1000 money before shipping, +400 after. -2000(!) before they arrive to sicily on boats. WTF bug!

Or is it just that dvip jacks up the army upkeep to skyhigh?

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
    edited July 2010
    It makes sense, but I'm receiving complete retards for my 2nd generation.

I should find it and turn it off.

You could also just edit your savefile to raise them back.
    jammu wrote: »
    Played some more, saved, quitted, installed the dvip & loaded neighbouring hungarian kingdom.

First thing first. Got some crusading to do in sicily. 10000 men on boats. +1000 money before shipping, +400 after. -2000(!) before they arrive to sicily on boats. WTF bug!

Or is it just that dvip jacks up the army upkeep to skyhigh?

You may need to start a new game after using the mod.

Sir Carcass on
    edited July 2010
    That could be it. I was mostly done with that campaign thanks to Infertility anyway.

One more question: Do golden horde (or other pagans) get event based extra troops?
    I got badly ravaged by them, few generations back, when they had 2 armies of 15000 mens (with same name)ravaging my hungary/croatia.

In any case it was fun war. Lost my most eastern provinces near black sea to horde, the King lost his life. His 4 year old grandson inherits the dual throne and loses most of his lands and Hungarian title in ensuing civil war.

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There's a thread on the official forums for that (think it's fairly recent, too).

Once they show up they get quite a few troops constantly; then the event chance drops over time until it's like once every 1000 years. The Mongols get all sorts of fancy bonuses - among them free troops and (essentially) infinite demesne size.

Also, I do maximum speed at peace and bring it down to normal or above normal for war (with occasional pausing).

President Rex on
  • MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Where is the best place to buy this game for Americans? It doesn't seem to be on Steam, somy preferred method is out. I don't see it on Impulse. :(

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    www.gamersgate.com sells it digitally, drm-free. 20 euros including the deus vult add-on.

Gamersgate was originally set up by the game makers (paradox interactive), although they sell other producers games as well. So they're trustworthy company.

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    www.gamersgate.com sells it digitally, drm-free. 20 euros including the deus vult add-on.

Gamersgate was originally set up by the game makers (paradox interactive), although they sell other producers games as well. So they're trustworthy company.

Ya, last time I tried to buy from them it was rejected by my credit card company because it looked suspicious. I suppose I could just call them to fix it, but it is too much trouble. I suppose I could get my paypal account synced with my new bank and use that.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • nindustrialnindustrial Word Typer Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Machismo wrote: »

Ya, last time I tried to buy from them it was rejected by my credit card company because it looked suspicious. I suppose I could just call them to fix it, but it is too much trouble. I suppose I could get my paypal account synced with my new bank and use that.

Yup, not sure where else you might be able to get it, but I got it from Gamersgate.

nindustrial on
    chstreamsig.jpg
    edited July 2010
    I got it off Amazon a couple of years ago in a bundle with Hearts of Iron II. I think it was like $15 or $20.

Sir Carcass on
    edited July 2010
    GamersGate is the only place you can get it that I know of. I looked for awhile and could not find it elsewhere.

Anyway, I figured out what DVIP does to your children.

If they have any personal skill over 8 (martial is 10), they get a random 0-5 points lost! For no reason!
    You only have a 10% chance of losing nothing!
    It starts at age 12 so the script has enough time to cycle through every skill to check it.

It's in db/events/DVIP_wiz.txt at the very bottom.

I removed every line of that shit. I WANT super children. Even if it's the enemy. I WILL have them if they do.

If it gets bad, then I'll roll it back a bit and edit it, but losing up to 5 points from your skills when your kid looks like a promising leader only to become a gibbering idiot really wrecks the flow of the game.

Endomatic on
    edited July 2010
    If they have any personal skill over 8 (martial is 10), they get a random 0-5 points lost!

That's kinda lame. I'd probably start it at around 12-15.

Sir Carcass on
    edited July 2010
    So now that I've removed that stuff I am seeing a lot of 18 and 19 point talents in 16 year olds. It's great cause they make good advisors, but they are pretty plentiful.

I decided to start a game as the count of Samos. After the Empire starts to fragment right around 1670 or so, I went with a peaceful independence and started to capitalize on other states around me that did the same thing. If I had chosen places the Emperor was at war with, he would simply get the province, but this way I could actually gain ground and not have to worry about the emperor.

Long story short after many many years, "Minus a Quarter" dies, his heir lives to the ripe old age of 79(!) and I get the Empire. After switching to Semisalic Primogeniture and Feudal Contracts, a few revolts and rebellions, I manage to get everything under control. I see that the King of Egypt is fighting the crusade and protecting Jerusalem quite well so I swoop in behind and snag Alexandria, Al Alamayn, and the other states in the area, sue for peace and start to build up.

It's after this point that my Gold and Prestige income becomes completely ridiculous.

A few more decades later a few of my many many sons get angry that they have no land of their own and decided to leave the country. For some reason, almost all of them go the Rus, and start to agitate for support there. I begin fighting the King of Egypt again so that I can end the crusade. Just after I manage to grab Jerusalem, an obscure Prince from Rus decides to attack me with a few of my sons at the head of some of his armies. He had granted all 3 of them lands and thus, armies. Being the Emperor of Byzantine in a more or less peaceful state, I had managed to use most of my own armies to conclude the crusade, but it left me terribly in debt, but this was okay. I simply raised my vassals armies, disbanded my own, and marched toward this minor princes land a scant boat ride away.

I swept away my sons armies and scattered what the prince had sent at me and decided to grab a few titles from him. Count titles were about 400 prestige, but the Prince ones were 12000. So I grabbed a few count titles and tucked in.

A swift victory was had and I sued for peace. Since he was still Prince I figured I might as well just make him a vassal and take the titles I had claimed.

When he became my vassal, I happened to notice that he was actually the Prince in line for the King of Rus and was simply missing the 66% needed to complete the title. Needless to say I took just about all of Rus in a single stroke.

Pretty glad I fought that land war in Asia.

Endomatic on
  • NineNine Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You fought the Rus in your game? Whenever I play a Byzantine game I usually get spammed with vassalization requests. As soon as I have enough territory I give the King title to some Russian prince with good stats and hope I get left alone for a few years before the kingdom breaks up and I get spammed with requests again.

Nine on
    edited July 2010
    I'm thinking that the sons of my leader who left to join Rus probably filled that need.

The prince gave 3 of my sons like 7 or 8 territories (between them) out of the 18 or so he had.

I never got asked to let them be a vassal, but my sons did draw the Russian Prince into war.

Endomatic on
    edited July 2010
    A DVIP event has forced me to change to Gavelkind and break up my kingdom. Is sad day.

Endomatic on
  • RebootReboot Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hmm I guess maximum speed it is then.

Going -2000g isn't that bad... but I do admit that's kind of a huge drain so early into your campaign. I just landed 10,000 Irish on Galicia (NW Spain) and conquered the 3 counties (it was very fast as I basically steamrolled over the defenders, transferred the counties to my demense, and sued for peace while their Emir is still distracted). Started with about 400g, ended -2000g. Pre-war income was about 24g/month.

Golden Horde - I think they do get "reinforcement" events. The Horde also get some bad events that fragment their empire somewhat, from what I observe.

Pagans in general - Not that I know of. As the Moslem kindgoms start out with richer territories than most of Europe, they will have larger army sizes in the early parts of the game. The advantage gap closes somewhat as the game progresses.

Reboot on
    edited July 2010
    So, if someone was still thinking about purchasing crusader kings, there's a sale at the Gamersgate.

All paradox games are -50% off including crusader kings complete for 10 euros.

http://www.gamersgate.com/all?q=paradoxsale

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Samm1chSamm1ch Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Bump'd

Official Crusader Kings Facebook status as of 20 minutes ago: "I think we are making a sequel..."

Paradox press conference started about an hour ago, at 9 am local time. I don't see any other official word yet, but it appears that a sequel is on the way.

Samm1ch on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    There's also now a Crusader Kings II subforum over at Paradoxplaza.

Hmmmm.....

Sir Carcass on
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Welp. That's an immediate buy for me if it happens(signs point to yes).

Rhan9 on
  • LachrymiteLachrymite Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Has anyone played with making their own events, graphics mods, and map mods? I made a few dozen different events to learn the way the scripting works, and was vaguely considering trying to do some more extreme modifications like different maps, cultures, religions, graphics, etc..

I hope that CK2 will have as much ability to customize as CK does.

Lachrymite on
  • President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I can do HOI2/AOD (and Victoria, since it's essentially the same) and EU3 events. CK has a slightly stranger system. Cultures, leaders, and 'nations' aren't necessarily that difficult (it's just easy to screw something up and have it not work).

Making a map tends to be the hardest alteration (EU3 made it a bit easier, but map modifications are still pretty rare). Changing country flags or background images isn't too difficult (although I don't think CK uses that, really).

It's when you want to start adding things like new religions or entirely new systems of interaction between nations that things start to fall apart in the modding department.

President Rex on
  • Samm1chSamm1ch Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    And now it's official:

Q1 2012

Samm1ch on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    Samm1ch wrote: »
    And now it's official:

Q1 2012

Yesssss
    “Crusader Kings character system is what made it stand apart from any other game released on the market. With this sequel, we are committed to offering even more depth to the characters, making them feel truly alive with agendas and plots of their own” said Johan Andersson, Head of Development at Paradox Interactive.

Sir Carcass on
  • LachrymiteLachrymite Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm glad that they're going that route. The Romance of the Three Kingdoms series has this annoying habit of going back and forth depending on release between more character based gameplay and more political entity based gameplay. The main reason I enjoy CK more than a lot of the other Paradox games (which I do like, just not as much) is because of the character based gameplay. That Rome game they put out awhile back was a major disappointment to me because it had individual characters in it, but it was a lot more shallow than CK in the trait system and everything.

Lachrymite on
    edited August 2010
    CK2 will be day 1 for me, or before (pre-purchase, not piracy)!

Endomatic on
    edited August 2010
    Lachrymite wrote: »
    I'm glad that they're going that route. The Romance of the Three Kingdoms series has this annoying habit of going back and forth depending on release between more character based gameplay and more political entity based gameplay. The main reason I enjoy CK more than a lot of the other Paradox games (which I do like, just not as much) is because of the character based gameplay. That Rome game they put out awhile back was a major disappointment to me because it had individual characters in it, but it was a lot more shallow than CK in the trait system and everything.

Yeah, I'm the same. It's much more fun playing politics when you can see the characters behind it, and get to know them.

Sir Carcass on
  • HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i meant to pick this up 6 years ago, but never got around to it. Picked it up last night and time just slipped away.

Started as the Duke (?) of Dublin. Had 2 sons, 1 died right away and a bastard was born not long after. Killed off my aging wife after a number of years with no new kids. Married a hot young thing. No new kids. The son grew up and inherited everything at 17. He had a bastard right away. Married him to some 16 yo wench from a neighbor when he was 20. Hes in his 30s now and they still have no kids. wtf.
    I did something right, in a wrong kind of accidental way. I married off my bastard brother to a neighbor girl. they have a few kids and the eldest grandkid is the next heir for 2 different Dukes. When the current rulers die, he will have over half of Ireland.

My ally declared war on a vassal. I chose to side with my vassal and promptly got my ass kicked. his 4000 men slaughtered my 4000 men easily. How does combat work in this game?

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
    edited August 2010
    My ally declared war on a vassal. I chose to side with my vassal and promptly got my ass kicked. his 4000 men slaughtered my 4000 men easily. How does combat work in this game?

There's a lot. One is your martial skill versuses the enemy's. Not sure if it takes the commander's martial skill into account. Also the technology of the province the army is from plays a part. If they have plate mail while you're rocking leather, you're in trouble. I'm not really sure beyond that.

Sir Carcass on
  • DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Man I hope this game will finally allow some decent map modding, I'd love to try my hand at a total conversion and make it a Fading Suns RPG.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    so is there anything you can do to actively have children? i havent had a singe one born between 2 rulers...

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png