As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stubborn Windows 7 won't let me update display driver

Sci-Fi WasabiSci-Fi Wasabi Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I have a Radeon HD 4770 and Windows 7 64-bit. My current drivers are version 9.11 (8.671.0.0). After having some minor issues in some games I checked my manufacturers website (XFX) for more recent drivers and the support center recommended 10.5 (8.732.0.0).

I downloaded the drivers, uninstalled my current drivers, rebooted, and before I can install the more current drivers, Win7 takes over and installs 9.11 again. Installing via the "update drivers" option has Win7 telling me the older drivers are more recent than the ones I'm trying to install.

I used a method that supposedly stops Windows 7 from automatically downloading and installing drivers but still, without fail, every time I uninstall display drivers, Windows 7 installs 9.11 right back to where it was.

How the hell are you supposed to update graphics drivers on this damn thing?

sci+fi+wasabi.png
Sci-Fi Wasabi on

• Options
    yurnamehereyurnamehere Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You might try just installing the new ones over top of the existing ones. The latest driver releases seem to handle that better than past ones.

yurnamehere on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Did you download the drivers from the XFX website or from AMD's? If the former, get the most recent Radeon drivers from AMD's website and just install over the old ones.

Sir Carcass on