Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Mowing the Lawn in a dress....sounds like a good idea...or not?

ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
I put this in Debate and Discourse even though I think there is no debate.


1. Should one mow their lawn while attired in a short dress?

2. Should one mow their lawn while attired in shorts?

3. Should one mow their lawn while attired in clothing that covers your legs?

I don't know how to do a poll? But with your answer, can you please explain why or why not any of the above options is a good/bad choice?

edit: for a 3rd choice...

Chanus wrote: »

Your wang is a better man than you.
Shawnasee on
«1

Posts

  • ChanusChanus capreseRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Exposed legs mean the possibility of being hit by flying debris and it cutting you.

    Other than that, it's really just a matter of which you'd rather wear. I suppose the flying debris could do some sort of wacky trick shot and fly up your skirt... but other than that, it's pure aesthetics.

    Chanus on
    D&D [chat] names list for games
    XCOM Name File with [chat] First Names - All Countries, M&F | Or Shivahn's with gendered names
    Blueberrywerewlf on the Sony Anime Games Box | BluberryWerewlf on the BroBone
    **PUUUUUUNCH**
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I mow in shorts, but I don't edge in shorts. I mean, really, if you're leg gets anywhere near a spinning lawn mower blade, do you think jeans are going to protect you? I assume that's the primary reason people think you should wear pants.

    Now when I edge, I wear pants, because edging tends to throw dirt and rocks and sticks and shit all over the place.

    GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • ArchArch doctor of beetle bugs Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I don't know about you guys, but when I mow the lawn I usually do it naked

    Arch on
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I wear jeans because I look funny in shorts.
    I don't really think it matters. Sure, I've had things thrown from the lawn mower hit me in the leg that might have cut me up if I was wearing shorts, but it isn't a common occurrence. Also, might be a good idea regardless of clothing to clean up any debris you may find before mowing the lawn to avoid injury or damage to your lawn mower.

    Boy, I tell you what.

    Bolthorn on
    bolthorn_zps8e770883.png
    SteamID : http://steamcommunity.com/id/Bolthorn/
    PSN : Bolthorn
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    usually I only wear shorts because I have a push mower and it gets hot after 2 hours of mowing in the sun. string trimming is pants though, it's only once every few weeks for 10 minutes.

    Jars on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    So are you Ned or Homer?

    JustinSane07 on
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Why would a man be wearing a short dress?

    Cameron_Talley on
    3DS code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    I don't know about you guys, but when I mow the lawn I usually do it naked

    When I watch you mow the lawn I also do it naked.

    I suspect jeans are the safest, but if you're mowing properly the chances of injury are remarkably low so wear whatever works.

    PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    is this about safety, or is this just about which one looks sexier?

    Pi-r8 on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Pi-r8 wrote: »
    is this about safety, or is this just about which one looks sexier?

    This is a pivotal question.

    DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    One should have a small child who has been lured by the prospect of a shiny nickel mow ones lawn while one sips iced tea in air conditioned comfort while attired in ones pajamas.

    Galahad on
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Galahad wrote: »
    One should have a small child who has been lured by the prospect of a shiny nickel mow ones lawn while one sips iced tea in air conditioned comfort while attired in ones pajamas.

    That's why I had a kid. I just have to wait about 8 more years.

    Bolthorn on
    bolthorn_zps8e770883.png
    SteamID : http://steamcommunity.com/id/Bolthorn/
    PSN : Bolthorn
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    Galahad wrote: »
    One should have a small child who has been lured by the prospect of a shiny nickel mow ones lawn while one sips iced tea in air conditioned comfort while attired in ones pajamas.

    That's why I had a kid. I just have to wait about 8 more years.

    I was that kid until I moved out.

    Sometime later I found out how much my pops used to pay our old landscaping people...

    Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've known girls who mow the lawn in as little as possible because it's hot out and then get mad when pervy dudes check them out. I'm not saying it's their right to check you out but you are out in public in skimpy clothings; cover up, no problem.

    Peen on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User
    edited June 2010
    This is the only way to mow a lawn
    gay_lawncare.gif

    But seriously the only real worry would be something coming out and hitting your leg and even that isn't much of a thing to worry about. I'd mow our huge lawn on the farm in shorts all the time.

    I guess getting sweaty or dirty could be a worry as well, so it'd make sense to dress appropriately for that.

    kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I mow in shorts, but then I go through my yard picking up sticks and the occasional rock so I don't get smacked by debris.

    Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • deowolfdeowolf Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So are you Ned or Homer?

    deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Geek MagnetGeek Magnet Registered User
    edited June 2010
    Would any of you cause a HUGE fight with your lover because they wanted to mow in shorts, or knee length skirt because of "safety concerns"..... or does that sound odd?

    Geek Magnet on
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Deal me in.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Peen wrote: »
    I've known girls who mow the lawn in as little as possible because it's hot out and then get mad when pervy dudes check them out. I'm not saying it's their right to check you out but you are out in public in skimpy clothings; cover up, no problem.

    Only took 15 posts! Nice.

    What is the point of this thread anyway?

    So It Goes on
    zpgywef.png
  • EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Peen wrote: »
    I've known girls who mow the lawn in as little as possible because it's hot out and then get mad when pervy dudes check them out. I'm not saying it's their right to check you out but you are out in public in skimpy clothings; cover up, no problem.

    On behalf of pervy dudes everywhere, I'd just like to thank the scantily-dressed lawn-mower ladies of the world.

    I don't mow my lawn. I pay some guy who mows the lawns of all the seniors in the neighbourhood (I'm not old, just lazy.) I've never checked to see if he wears a dress or not.

    Ego on
    Erik
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Would any of you cause a HUGE fight with your lover because they wanted to mow in shorts, or knee length skirt because of "safety concerns"..... or does that sound odd?

    I'd just be happy that she wanted to mow the lawn. I think if I died my wife would have NO idea how to even start the damn thing.

    Bolthorn on
    bolthorn_zps8e770883.png
    SteamID : http://steamcommunity.com/id/Bolthorn/
    PSN : Bolthorn
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    Would any of you cause a HUGE fight with your lover because they wanted to mow in shorts, or knee length skirt because of "safety concerns"..... or does that sound odd?

    I'd just be happy that she wanted to mow the lawn. I think if I died my wife would have NO idea how to even start the damn thing.

    My wife actually knows how to use lawn equipment, which is a fucking blessing. She even did it this weekend, as a Father's Day gift to me.

    GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Geek MagnetGeek Magnet Registered User
    edited June 2010
    So It Goes wrote: »

    What is the point of this thread anyway?

    To answer your question So It Goes - the OP was trying to justify being mean to his wife by showing her the overwhelming number of you out there who agree with him. But I'd say it was a fail. No one thought the safety issue of mowing with bare legs was anything to get excited about.

    Shawnasee - sit back with your beer in hand and just enjoy those pretty little legs pushing your mower for you.

    Geek Magnet on
  • Cedar BrownCedar Brown Registered User
    edited June 2010
    You should be wearing jeans or trousers of some kind. Shoes too. Things can get shot out at you. Dangerous things. Things that you don't want to get shot out at you. The blade spins really fast.

    My nieghbour was mowing his lawn while wearing sandals. Something went flying and hit him in the foot. It hit a large blood vessel, my father had to drive him to the hospital. There was lots of blood and the guy couldn't work for two weeks. It's best not to have exposed legs. Blood shed could occur.
    Peen wrote: »
    I've known girls who mow the lawn in as little as possible because it's hot out and then get mad when pervy dudes check them out. I'm not saying it's their right to check you out but you are out in public in skimpy clothings; cover up, no problem.

    Bitch tells me where I can and can't look I bite her lady parts. Very little provocation, I bite your lady parts.

    Cedar Brown on
  • JudasJudas Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Picture this.

    You're pushing a very loud metal contraption with spinning sharp blade up and down the lawn. The same lawn where any number of nasty, multi-legged, insectoid and/or arachnid creatures live.

    And you are pissing them off to an incredibly high degree.

    And there are your bare legs. Looking all pink ( brown, or whatever other shade you favor ), fleshy and imminently biteable.


    No sir; I'll stick to wearing jeans to do my lawn-work, thank you very much.

    Judas on
    Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver.
    Situation excellent. I am attacking.

    - General Ferdinand Foch
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Judas wrote: »
    Picture this.

    You're pushing a very loud metal contraption with spinning sharp blade up and down the lawn. The same lawn where any number of nasty, multi-legged, insectoid and/or arachnid creatures live.

    And you are pissing them off to an incredibly high degree.

    And there are your bare legs. Looking all pink ( brown, or whatever other shade you favor ), fleshy and imminently biteable.


    No sir; I'll stick to wearing jeans to do my lawn-work, thank you very much.

    You must live in an area with some pretty serious fucking insects. Worst thing you would run in to where I live is a bee or a hornet, and they don't tend to nest in the grass.

    Oh, or fire ants I guess...but jeans won't save you from those. They'll be inside your shoes before you know it.

    GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • JudasJudas Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Judas wrote: »
    Picture this.

    You're pushing a very loud metal contraption with spinning sharp blade up and down the lawn. The same lawn where any number of nasty, multi-legged, insectoid and/or arachnid creatures live.

    And you are pissing them off to an incredibly high degree.

    And there are your bare legs. Looking all pink ( brown, or whatever other shade you favor ), fleshy and imminently biteable.


    No sir; I'll stick to wearing jeans to do my lawn-work, thank you very much.

    You must live in an area with some pretty serious fucking insects. Worst thing you would run in to where I live is a bee or a hornet, and they don't tend to nest in the grass.

    Oh, or fire ants I guess...but jeans won't save you from those. They'll be inside your shoes before you know it.

    Or I just really get skeeved out by insects. Also, I don't wear shoes for lawn-work; combat boots with kerosene soaked rags wrapped around the ankles. I'm not going to make it easy for the little fuckers to get at me.

    Judas on
    Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver.
    Situation excellent. I am attacking.

    - General Ferdinand Foch
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Judas wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Judas wrote: »
    Picture this.

    You're pushing a very loud metal contraption with spinning sharp blade up and down the lawn. The same lawn where any number of nasty, multi-legged, insectoid and/or arachnid creatures live.

    And you are pissing them off to an incredibly high degree.

    And there are your bare legs. Looking all pink ( brown, or whatever other shade you favor ), fleshy and imminently biteable.


    No sir; I'll stick to wearing jeans to do my lawn-work, thank you very much.

    You must live in an area with some pretty serious fucking insects. Worst thing you would run in to where I live is a bee or a hornet, and they don't tend to nest in the grass.

    Oh, or fire ants I guess...but jeans won't save you from those. They'll be inside your shoes before you know it.

    Or I just really get skeeved out by insects. Also, I don't wear shoes for lawn-work; combat boots with kerosene soaked rags wrapped around the ankles. I'm not going to make it easy for the little fuckers to get at me.

    Haha. I thought I smelled bad after lawn work, you must smell an absolute treat.

    GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • DragDrag Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I always wear jeans to keep from being completely devoured by mosquitoes.

    Drag on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Long pants are best so dirt and debris and shit doesn't get all up in your shoes/socks

    Adrenaline on
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • DrakeDrake Space Villain Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My wife has been known to dress scandalously while mowing the grass.

    There was even a time or three drivers would honk their horn as they passed by.

    It doesn't really get her angry though.

    Drake on
  • Cedar BrownCedar Brown Registered User
    edited June 2010
    Really though, it's better to wear jeans and shoes. If you advise someone to do so and they ignore you, just let them do it there way. If they get injured, laugh in their face and watch them exsanguinate. Sure, the newspapers will make it sound really bad that you just watched your wife bleed out while laughing at her but haters gonna hate.

    Cedar Brown on
  • DrakeDrake Space Villain Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Where I live I don't think I see anyone wearing jeans when they cut the grass.

    It gets hot here. Real fucking hot.

    Drake on
  • AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Drake wrote: »
    Where I live I don't think I see anyone wearing jeans when they cut the grass.

    It gets hot here. Real fucking hot.

    I've mowed the grass in army BDU pants in the Florida summer. I didn't really notice much of a difference.

    Adrenaline on
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Really though, it's better to wear jeans and shoes. If you advise someone to do so and they ignore you, just let them do it there way. If they get injured, laugh in their face and watch them exsanguinate. Sure, the newspapers will make it sound really bad that you just watched your wife bleed out while laughing at her but haters gonna hate.

    The funny part here is that neither shoes, nor pants, are really going to protect you from the sort of lacerations that a piece of lawn equipment would cause if it actually struck you enough to bleed you out.

    GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • DrakeDrake Space Villain Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Adrenaline wrote: »
    Drake wrote: »
    Where I live I don't think I see anyone wearing jeans when they cut the grass.

    It gets hot here. Real fucking hot.

    I've mowed the grass in army BDU pants in the Florida summer. I didn't really notice much of a difference.

    I can see those being comfortable. Damn functional, even. [edit] I mean, you can probably carry at least four beers in your pockets.

    Funny thing is, the only pair I've got, I cut off. I don't mow the grass anyway. I'm horribly allergic to the stuff. If it were up to me, I'd go out there with a bag of rock salt and take care of the fucker once and for all. My wife though, is not big on that idea, so she takes care of the lawn.

    Drake on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Really though, it's better to wear jeans and shoes. If you advise someone to do so and they ignore you, just let them do it there way. If they get injured, laugh in their face and watch them exsanguinate. Sure, the newspapers will make it sound really bad that you just watched your wife bleed out while laughing at her but haters gonna hate.

    The funny part here is that neither shoes, nor pants, are really going to protect you from the sort of lacerations that a piece of lawn equipment would cause if it actually struck you enough to bleed you out.

    Actually, a well-placed impact doesn't need much depth. Really, though, you learn why you shouldn't wear shorts pretty quickly simply because there's more than enough shit on the lawn that would hurt like fuck if sent at your legs even if you pick up all the sticks beforehand that you won't be wearing shorts while mowing again any time soon. Every time I have mowed in shorts (I'm lazy, okay?), I was hit in the legs by at least one little piece of god know's what. The skin's never been broken, but it stings.

    Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    From an equipment safety standpoint none of these should matter. If you're using an old-fashioned push mower (the old Simpons mower that's a cylinder of blades) nothing will be going at high speed. Unless you've removed blocking or collection hardware from your push mower, nothing should ever be shot out the back (i.e. at your legs). If you're on a riding lawn mower, the only way things are going to hit you are if they richochet off something, in which case it's not going to hurt anyway.

    Also in regards to safety: you should never leave your mower running when you go out/get off to move debris (not only will you likely be circumventing a safety feature, you're endangering the surroundings). Clear out toys/balls/sticks/stones/etc. before you start running around with motorised equipment.


    From a comfort standpoint. That's fairly subjective; pants would probably heat you up the most. If it's particularly muggy the lawnmower's exhaust is going to heat up your legs. Generally dresses and skirts are fancier than regular jeans and shorts, so I'd avoid yardwork in them since you'll just end up getting them all sweaty, covered in grass and probably smelling of gasoline fumes. I prefer shorts.



    If you're weedwhacking, that's when you'll want to not wear shorts. It's unlikely that something will get launched at you fast enough to draw blood, but you'll constantly get hit with small debris that will sting (and dirty up your legs). That's the same reason you'll want to wear shoes. If you're using a plastic wire trimmer it'll really hurt when you hit your foot or leg (shoes help here, but pants don't make much of a difference). If you hit yourself with a metal bladed trimmer...well, don't do that; it won't matter what you're wearing.

    (I wear shorts for both)

    President Rex on
    Join the Crew: Sink to the level of sinking those trying to sink us.
    PR-SH3-sig2.gif
  • FeralFeral That's what I do. I drink, and I know things. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    mumble mumble lawns suck mumble waste of water mumble nonindigenous grass species mumble mumble mumble local-flora landscaping is better

    Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Cedar BrownCedar Brown Registered User
    edited June 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Really though, it's better to wear jeans and shoes. If you advise someone to do so and they ignore you, just let them do it there way. If they get injured, laugh in their face and watch them exsanguinate. Sure, the newspapers will make it sound really bad that you just watched your wife bleed out while laughing at her but haters gonna hate.

    The funny part here is that neither shoes, nor pants, are really going to protect you from the sort of lacerations that a piece of lawn equipment would cause if it actually struck you enough to bleed you out.

    I don't actually mean that you could exsanguinate on the lawn. I used the phrase "haters gonna hate" to describe someone laughing at their wife bleeding to death. Of course of I'm not entriely serious.

    Simply, bare legs make you much more vulnerable to injury in the case, rare but possible, that a piece of metal debris is fired at you by the spinning lawn mower blades. It's happened before and the experience would be much less inconvient if you are properly dressed.

    Cedar Brown on
«1
This discussion has been closed.