As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Drives Permissions...

ForkesForkes Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I just formatted my computer, cause as you may or may not know I was recently the target of some account hacking in WoW.

I moved my music and such onto an old drive that I had from an older computer. The drive in question had XP installed on it and my main drive (C:) has Vista, 32 bit, which I was assured would not be a problem.

So now, after the format, whenever I try to grab some stuff from the older drive, or even open music in a media player, it says that I don't have the permissions. I have tried checking through the security tab, and opened up access to everyone on my main drive (Admin, Users).

I've got a huge amount of stuff on that drive, that I obviously want to keep, anyone have any ideas?

siggy-1.jpg
Forkes on

• Options
    SojornSojorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hmmm...I saw an issue like this is Windows 7 after I first installed.

I think what I ended up doing was going into the security tab, clicking on advanced options, and transferring ownership of the drive to my account. I also told it to do the same for all child objects via selecting the check box near the bottom of the ownership window.

Since the drive was giant, it took a good 20 minutes to actually transfer ownership on everything.

Yay new(annoying) security features.

Sojorn on
    XBox Live: NBKHavoc | Facebook | Sorry for the sig, it's just temporary. =)
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Oh, and there's probably an easier way to accomplish this, but the above is just what I did mucking around. lol

Sojorn on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sojorn wrote: »

NTFS ACLs have been around since Windows NT, FYI (over 15 years and counting).

Zxerol on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Zxerol wrote: »

Thanks for this.

I was just commenting on the fact that not since before Vista and Win7 have I had to actually change ownership of one of my drives just to be able to access files on that I, as the administrator of the PC, should be able to access anyways. It's just a personal gripe that this is something on by default in these OS', though the feature may have been around for some time already.

Sojorn on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I tried what you said, and it said that I had taken ownership, but I am still getting this
    stupid.jpg

when I try and add a song to Winamp.

ARRRRRGH!!!

Forkes on
    siggy-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Gah, sorry. I'm at work right now and Websense blocks most pics. Anyways you can type the error out for me?

Sojorn on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    "You don't have permission to open this file.

Contact the file owner or an administrator to obtain permission."

Forkes on
    siggy-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Well I should I have guessed that. lol

Ok, try this, and let me know what happens. Keep in mind I'm using WinXP at work right now and am basing my descriptions of that...some things may be slightly different in Vista.

Step 1: Find the file that you were just trying to add to winamp. You'll want to find this using windows explorer (or just browsing My Computer for the file).
    Step 2: Right click on the file and select properties.
    Step 3: Click on the Security Tab.
    Step 4: You should see a listing of usernames just below 'Group or user names'. Click once on your username, and list what permissions you have to the file in your reply.

Step 5: Click the 'Advanced' button in the lower right corner of the properties window.
    Step 6: Click on the 'Owner' tab. Under the listing 'Current owner of this item', is your name listed?

Let me know what's up and I'll formulate something for you. =)

Sojorn on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ahhh. OK, so I did that, and it was not set up as my Profile, but one of letters and numbers. After changing that I am able to add it into Winamp. The owner says my profile.

The only thing I am hoping is that I don't have to do this for every file, that I can do it as a batch somehow.

Thanks for your help so far though!

Forkes on
    siggy-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    No problem =)

Here's how you change it for all files:

Step 1: Open 'My Computer'
    Step 2: Right click on the drive you need to change permissions for, and select 'Properties'
    Step 3: Click on the 'Security' tab.
    Step 4: Click on the 'Advanced' button in the bottom right.
    Step 5: The 'Advanced Security Settings' window will open. Click on the 'Owner' tab.
    Step 6: Select your user account as the owner, and check the option box that says 'Replace owner on subcontainers and objects'.
    Step 7: Click 'OK' and watch paint dry as it changes the owner for all files on the drive.

Let me know if you see any more issues crop up, sometimes Windows can be kind of hinky when applying the new settings, and the permissions don't pick up on some files.

Sojorn on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I tried that, and it looks like it didn't really change anything. It only took about 1 minute, and it is still coming back with the same thing.

I tried this last night, a couple of times, while restarting and the like, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

I may just give up and format the thing.

Thanks though!

Forkes on
    siggy-1.jpg
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Zxerol wrote: »

Thanks for this.

I was just commenting on the fact that not since before Vista and Win7 have I had to actually change ownership of one of my drives just to be able to access files on that I, as the administrator of the PC, should be able to access anyways. It's just a personal gripe that this is something on by default in these OS', though the feature may have been around for some time already.

I've had to do it on XP when loading a drive that was the boot volume of different XP install.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Forkes wrote: »
    I tried that, and it looks like it didn't really change anything. It only took about 1 minute, and it is still coming back with the same thing.

I tried this last night, a couple of times, while restarting and the like, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Thanks though!

Alternative, any files that aren't cooperating that you still want to use can probably be pulled over from an Ubuntu Live disc before you nuke it. It'll read NTFS, but usually it doesn't really bother with the permissions and file locks and stuff.

I've had similar weirdness with a few files on a drive that was part of my old XP install. Even after transferring ownership there were two or 3 files that I could not move or delete.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Forkes wrote: »

Thanks though!

Ok, well, if you haven't formatted yet, there is a slightly longer way of changing ownership of the files.

Step 1: Move all the files you want to change permissions for into one folder. This is just to save time.
    Step 2: Select all the files in the folder (ctrl + a) and right click on one.
    Step 3: Click on the 'Security' tab.
    Step 4: Click on the 'Advanced' button in the bottom right.
    Step 5: The 'Advanced Security Settings' window will open. Click on the 'Owner' tab.
    Step 6: Select your user account as the owner, and check the option box that says 'Replace owner on subcontainers and objects'.
    Step 7: Wait for it to finish, and then check to make sure ownership of the files has changed.

That *should* work. If it doesn't, let me know.

Sojorn on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    When I do that, it will not let me into the security tab, it only comes up with General and Details...

I don't know how I did this the first time. Or rather what I have done differently this time.

Maybe I'll just put it into another computer and see if I can borrow an external drive? I have no idea if that will work, but I have far too much stuff on their to format right away.

Forkes on
    siggy-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Gah, lame.

Ok, if you right click on the folder all the files are stored in, does *it* have the security tab available?

Sojorn on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yup. I have done all of the steps before, and it will not work at all. I hate this so much ahahha.

Forkes on
    siggy-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ok, so the folder itself has the security tab, good. You may have already tried this, but see if you can't transfer ownership of the whole folder to yourself, including subcontainers and objects.

And if that doesn't work, go with the external drive thing. There is a way to change ownership of the files, but if you're looking at a massive amount of them and it's not being agreeable with letting you set ownership for all of them at once, it might just be simpler (and less of a pain in the ass) to go with the external drive.

But you already knew that. lol

Sojorn on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    So big stupid update because I haven't been able to find anyone with an external and funds are tight right now.

I seem to be able to access everything else on the drive with no problem, but from some reason, only this specific folder is giving me any issues. It is also read-only, and even when I have clicked to make it not read-only, after going through the process that it goes through, if I close the window and re-open the properties, it still says read only. This is infuriating.

For anyone offering any new advice, I have done all of the things mentioned in the above posts with nothing to show for it. Well, I've done everything except the external.

Forkes on
    siggy-1.jpg
  • Options
    WildEEPWildEEP Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ehhh - well, you could try loading into Ubuntu, make a new partition...copy the files over to that partition, then reboot into windows and try and read them off the new "drive". That should clear the permission problem off at least.

WildEEP on