As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Resume Font

A BearA Bear Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Any typography people around?

I've way overthought my resume font choice--I'm looking for something clean, readable (both online and in print) and capable of being loaded on most any computer. I've gravitated towards some of the sans serif mainstays--Arial, Helvetica, Verdana--but everything I have read that critiques typefaces seems to hate all three of these. Is it just because they are so common? Is there even an available alternative that will meet the requirements of clean, readable, and universal? Its for a legal resume, so I probably should stick to something pretty traditional, but there must be something out there that isn't universally reviled by designers/people with taste.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
A Bear on

• Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    In print, serif fonts tend to read easier. Electronically, sans serif.

I personally really like Calibri. If you want a basic sans serif font, it's inoffensive and actually quite easy on the eyes. Much nicer than Arial.

Really though, if you're not using Comic Sans or Papyrus, and you're not applying for a typography job, I'm sure it won't matter.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Calibri is the exact font I chose when revamping my resume, after flip flopping between that and a couple other choices.

However, if you really want to make a special impression on your future employers, look no further than...

6xz0vs.png

Dangerbird on
  • Options
    KotenkKotenk Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Calibri.

Kotenk on
  • Options
    Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Way back in my Medical Office Assistant days Times New Roman was the go to font for everything. I still use it and quite like it. However I seem to be the only one who remembers this font.

Mom2Kat on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Critics of typefaces criticize popular fonts because they need something to talk about.

I don't like calibri that much but lots of people seem to; any of the sans serif regulars are okay. If you're submitting printed stuff I would put it in a serifed font. TNR is fine.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Personally, I'm a fan of DejaVu Sans for anything people need to read, not just because it's a clean typeface but also because it's available cross-platform and is (slowly) trying to cover the whole Unicode range.
    Other than that, steering clear of obvious traps* like Comic Sans and Papyrus, or "special effect" fonts is never bad advice.

*No, really; I know of at least two high-level professional organisations that automatically bin anything submitted in comic sans, unread.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    every organization should be binning anything in comic sans

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Times New Roman is a pretty neutral and standard business font for professional-looking printed documents.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    A Bear wrote: »
    Any typography people around?

I've way overthought my resume font choice--I'm looking for something clean, readable (both online and in print) and capable of being loaded on most any computer. I've gravitated towards some of the sans serif mainstays--Arial, Helvetica, Verdana--but everything I have read that critiques typefaces seems to hate all three of these. Is it just because they are so common? Is there even an available alternative that will meet the requirements of clean, readable, and universal? Its for a legal resume, so I probably should stick to something pretty traditional, but there must be something out there that isn't universally reviled by designers/people with taste.

well, general rule of thumb is sans-serif is great on a computer screen but horrible for readability on paper; vice versa for serif fonts.

i'm a fan of Century Schoolbook and Georgia as resume fonts, myself.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I do like Calibri and Cambria. I'm often inclined to title things with Cambria and put the text in Calibri. I don't know if I'm breaking some kind of textiquette code by mixing fonts, though.

Taximes on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Richy wrote: »
    Times New Roman is a pretty horrible and standard business font for professional-looking printed documents.

Fixed that for you :)

I'm surprised the amount of love for sans-serif here; sans-serif for a resume looked OK when I was 16, but serif is definitely my preferred choice nowadays.

Constantia is my current favorite print/screen serif, but Minion Pro and Palatino are also solid choices. I've never been much for Garamond, however hard I try to like it.

EDIT: Cambria is also pretty decent, but I feel the ligatures make the letters look like they are standing to attention and makes me feel a little tense, but this may be perfect depending on how you layout your CV.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Taximes wrote: »
    I do like Calibri and Cambria. I'm often inclined to title things with Cambria and put the text in Calibri. I don't know if I'm breaking some kind of textiquette code by mixing fonts, though.

Calibri is way too informal. Cambria is okay, but a tad stiff, although that's probably ideal for a resume. Personally, I tend to always go with Constantia unless I'm given a reason not to. It's beautiful, legible, and equally at ease on paper and screen. Also, text figures.

For sans, I tend to like the dignity found in Candara (microsoft's Optima competitor w/ text figures) and use it as a title font frequently. Corbel manages to go without Candara's historical feel while still retaining most of its formality, and, like Gill Sans, Frutiger, and Clearview, has enough humanism to function as a text font.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Comic Sans is guaranteed to land you a job.
    And that job is staving off humiliation

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wingdings. Make 'em work for it, you're worth it.
    Cambria for printed, Colibri for screen.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Cedar BrownCedar Brown Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Times New Roman is the most professional looking in my opinion.

Cedar Brown on
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Courier New. Kick it old school yo.
    I still use serif fonts for body and sans-serif fonts for titles.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Times New Roman is the most professional looking in my opinion.

I'll heartily disagree. It's not a bad font, you won't run into problems if you use it, but there are at least a half dozen equally professional serif fonts to use that look (in my opinion) a lot nicer.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Times New Roman.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Decius wrote: »
    Courier New. Kick it old school yo.
    I still use serif fonts for body and sans-serif fonts for titles.

you are the worst typographer

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    PitselehPitseleh Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    TRAJAN. FOREVER.

If you want a lovely sans serif may I suggest myriad pro? So lovely.

For the serif in you, I'm partial to the exquisite Bodoni.

Pitseleh on
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Comic sans reveals the playful side of your personality that a resume may not express fully!

But really, sans-serif for headers (Franklin Gothic) serif for paragraph text (times new roman)

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Pitseleh wrote: »
    TRAJAN. FOREVER.

If you want a lovely sans serif may I suggest myriad pro? So lovely.

For the serif in you, I'm partial to the exquisite Bodoni.
    Those are some nice fonts, pity I can't find a legit free version.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    A BearA Bear Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wow, a lot of good feedback here, now I've got more copies of my resume than ever before. I guess what really trips me up is how I always deal with my resume on-screen, but I'm not entirely sure how the recipient of my resume reads it. Generally, its scanned into a .pdf or .doc form, and emailed to them through a 3rd party webpage. This leads me to believe that, at least initially, my resume is read on a computer, and that it might be at this crucial time a decision is made whether to interview me or not. But I also know that when I am interviewed, my resume is there, printed.

So yea, I'm torn between serif and sans--I personally think I enjoy sans serif more, and feel it projects a more clean and contemporary look--but if they look like crap on paper, I could change pretty quick. I do figure as I'm breaking into a pretty traditional field, maybe taking the conservative route is a good thing.

Times New Roman is not going to happen--I see that one way, way, too much.

Calibri and Cambria are the default system fonts on my copy of Microsoft Office for Mac, is it risky to use those them because they are defaults? Should that make them preferable? I'm not wild about either. I write most of my class notes in Cambria already, so I see it a ton.

Comic Sans is a clear frontrunner, of course.

Constantia is particularly nice looking--we had a professor in school who used it for all his documents--but I don't know if I'm wild about how the text figures play into my overall resume.

Palatino seems to be another quite nice serif font, not as tall as Constantia, and with a consistent lining. Maybe I need to explore serifs more...

I instantly recognized Myriad Pro as Macintosh's font, is that a good or a bad thing?

Also--shorter height is a good thing on my resume. It needs to stay under 1 page, and I have a lot of lines that I'm trying to keep in without totally messing up the flow.

I found a page here that has a pretty interesting hierarchy of fonts. Any validity to it?

A Bear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I found a page here that has a pretty interesting hierarchy of fonts. Any validity to it?

That's a highly subjective list. Putting Calibri and Times New Roman above Constantia, to me, actually goes against most of the reasoning he has at the top. Gill Sans is also touch and go, it can look great or awful, depending on the document you are creating. I can't imagine a legal document typeset in Gill Sans.

I think what you need to do now is use the recommendations you've had, print out copies and see which you like best printed, then see which ones work best on-screen. My experience is that a good screen font can look atrocious printed, whereas a font that prints nicely is more likely to look OK on-screen.

I personally thinking typesetting any lengthy document in Myriad Pro will now always look like an Apple document and should thus be avoided, but it can be nice for headers.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Wow, a lot of good feedback here, now I've got more copies of my resume than ever before. I guess what really trips me up is how I always deal with my resume on-screen, but I'm not entirely sure how the recipient of my resume reads it. Generally, its scanned into a .pdf or .doc form, and emailed to them through a 3rd party webpage. This leads me to believe that, at least initially, my resume is read on a computer, and that it might be at this crucial time a decision is made whether to interview me or not. But I also know that when I am interviewed, my resume is there, printed.

So yea, I'm torn between serif and sans--I personally think I enjoy sans serif more, and feel it projects a more clean and contemporary look--but if they look like crap on paper, I could change pretty quick. I do figure as I'm breaking into a pretty traditional field, maybe taking the conservative route is a good thing.

Times New Roman is not going to happen--I see that one way, way, too much.

Calibri and Cambria are the default system fonts on my copy of Microsoft Office for Mac, is it risky to use those them because they are defaults? Should that make them preferable? I'm not wild about either. I write most of my class notes in Cambria already, so I see it a ton.

Comic Sans is a clear frontrunner, of course.

Constantia is particularly nice looking--we had a professor in school who used it for all his documents--but I don't know if I'm wild about how the text figures play into my overall resume.

Palatino seems to be another quite nice serif font, not as tall as Constantia, and with a consistent lining. Maybe I need to explore serifs more...

I instantly recognized Myriad Pro as Macintosh's font, is that a good or a bad thing?

Also--shorter height is a good thing on my resume. It needs to stay under 1 page, and I have a lot of lines that I'm trying to keep in without totally messing up the flow.

Try to remember that the C fonts are sized so that they are the same size in eleven as Times New Roman is in twelve. It's close enough for me to suspect that it's intentional (if you look at the presets, all the C fonts are set to eleven while the older ones are set to twelve).

Georgia is quite pretty, but it's way too heavy. There's probably some way to get Georgia Light, but I don't know it.

If you're using a mac, I recommend titling with Optima and using Perpetua for text. They're both quite pretty and there's a certain bit of subversive fun in using the fonts of both sides of the 2008 race.

For numbers, a good rule of thumb is that text figures are best inside text, while numbers on their own should be set in Cambria Math.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I tend to use whatever is the default in MS Word. Why? Because most hiring managers are expecting a resume in MS Word anyhow, and then yours looks normal to them. Depending on your version that means Calibri, Tahoma, or Times New Roman. Personally, I'd go with Calibri as its the newest Office default.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm curious why some of the fonts on that list are in the "oh god no" section, when they seem perfectly normal to me. I love Centaur. :\

riz on