As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[World Cup] Psychic Octopus remains undefeated - Uruguay has a lot of keepers

• Options
    SanguinarySanguinary Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    oldmanken wrote: »
    Sparvy wrote: »
    Germany is going to have to play without Müller now though, which all kinds of bullshit. That is the only thing that can stop Germany winning it all, in my opinion.

I would agree, if Klose wasn't on such good form. The guy is one goal from equalling Ronaldo's World Cup goal scoring tally, and with two games left and Mueller out, I'm pretty sure he can bang in a few more to beat it.

Wait, I thought Müller would play the final if they make it, no?

e:

or rather for sure has the final or 3rd place game where he can play?

Sanguinary on
    "Und... under control? You're grabbing a fucking bazooka, you dumbass"

"I don't even bother to use my brain any more! There's nothing left in it"
  • Options
    Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I forgot to do the Quarter final picks.

But I can honestly say, I would have only got one right, and didn't get the score right. So one point? That's nothing.

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Mueller will only be out for the semi... he'll play the final/3rd place match. I was more pointing out that with Mueller out for the next match, Klose becomes more of the focus up top, and you'de have to be pretty confident that he'll match or beat Ronaldo's record.

oldmanken on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    What a freak. 23/78 for club, 50/100 for country.

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    He was remarkably good when he was at Werder Bremen, but has been less than impressive at Bayern.

EDIT: This is interesting from wiki:
    The German national team has never lost a game in which Klose has scored.

oldmanken on
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Elldren wrote: »
    Raakam wrote: »
    My uncle called and whinged until I had to take the bet of Spain winning the whole thing while he gloated and took Germany to win. So... I'm out $20. Bah.

Watch the Netherlands win

Watch them DIVE DIVE DIVE.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think watching FC Dallas could be classified as torture.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My uncle called and whinged until I had to take the bet of Spain winning the whole thing while he gloated and took Germany to win. So... I'm out $20. Bah.

I think there's a u-boat joke to be made here somewhere.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Corvus wrote: »

I think there's a u-boat joke to be made here somewhere.

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

HIT YOUR BURNERS, PILOT!!!
    Freespace 2 <3

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    WHAT ARE YOU SINKING ABOUT?

McAllen on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What a freak. 23/78 for club, 50/100 for country.

According to Wiki, he's 52/100 for country. I woulda sword yesterday they said he was 51/100 though.

Tav on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This octopus is an EU red herring! Since 1996 I have been publicizing my theory that the EU fixes certain sporting events to boost morale for key EU States. In 1998 I predicted a French World Cup win to bounce France into the Euro. In 2006 Italy was close to leaving the Euro. I predicted (in the Letters Pages of the Southampton Daily Echo 8th July) that Italy would win on penalties (I’ve posted this letter separately). This year German morale has collapsed. Germans are tired of supporting the failing Euro and Germany is close to leaving. The whole future of the Euro and the EU hinges on a German victory. The stakes are enormous! To stop Germany leaving the Euro, the EU must boost German morale URGENTLY. Germany MUST win. There is no other outcome. But the real tragedy is that when Germany is holding the World Cup aloft for the whole German nation to see, you won’t believe a word of this. File it for future contemplation!

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Æthelred wrote: »
    This octopus is an EU red herring! Since 1996 I have been publicizing my theory that the EU fixes certain sporting events to boost morale for key EU States. In 1998 I predicted a French World Cup win to bounce France into the Euro. In 2006 Italy was close to leaving the Euro. I predicted (in the Letters Pages of the Southampton Daily Echo 8th July) that Italy would win on penalties (I’ve posted this letter separately). This year German morale has collapsed. Germans are tired of supporting the failing Euro and Germany is close to leaving. The whole future of the Euro and the EU hinges on a German victory. The stakes are enormous! To stop Germany leaving the Euro, the EU must boost German morale URGENTLY. Germany MUST win. There is no other outcome. But the real tragedy is that when Germany is holding the World Cup aloft for the whole German nation to see, you won’t believe a word of this. File it for future contemplation!

Cue tinfoil hatted it's a conspiracy guy.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Can we somehow, I don't know... kill? Kill this heretic.

815165 on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    With four games to go, Spain/Paraguay is without question the game of the tournament. That was an epic.

The possible finals, in my order of preference:

1. Netherlands over Spain
    2. Netherlands over Germany
    3. Spain over Netherlands
    4. Spain over Uruguay
    5. Uruguay over Spain
    6. Germany over Netherlands
    7. Uruguay over Germany
    8. Germany over Uruguay

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If that guy is so confident, why is he not making bets?

Tav on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Tav wrote: »
    If that guy is so confident, why is he not making bets?

Yeah, if I knew with total absolute certainty Germany were going to win the world cup before it began for example I'd be down to a betting shop making the largest legal bet I could.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    martymarty Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    betting my mortgage on germany

marty on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    yotesyotes Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Alex Jones?

No, not enough adverts for hybrid seeds or gold futures.

Now I'm going to have to listen to Alex Jones all week, thanks a lot.

yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    Gosling wrote: »
    With four games to go, Spain/Paraguay is without question the game of the tournament. That was an epic.

4. Spain over Uruguay
    5. Uruguay over Spain
    7. Uruguay over Germany
    8. Germany over Uruguay

o_O You'd actually put the Spain/Paraguay game above the Netherlands/Brazil game? Seriously? Stop writing your book about football clubs because you are an embarrassment to this sport and have no place in writing a book about such a hallowed sport.

Also, there's really only one possible final: Germany vs Someone Else with Germany winning.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    CristoCristo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I called this when Germany beat Australia and Uruguay beat France but I hope you guys realise it's going to be a Germnay vs Uruguay final.

Uruguay are surprisingly going to eek out a well played 2-1 victory and Germany will beat Spain 3-1 orr 3-2.

Then Germany win the final.

Edit: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=15498991&postcount=33

Cristo on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    o_O You'd actually put the Spain/Paraguay game above the Netherlands/Brazil game? Seriously? Stop writing your book about football clubs because you are an embarrassment to this sport and have no place in writing a book about such a hallowed sport.

Hey now. Netherlands-Brazil was an awful game. Both are defensive teams full of writhers and moaners. If it wasn't a game of two big names, that would be more obvious.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    Buddy LeeBuddy Lee Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Cristo wrote: »
    I called this when Germany beat Australia and Uruguay beat France but I hope you guys realise it's going to be a Germnay vs Uruguay final.

Uruguay are surprisingly going to eek out a well played 2-1 victory and Germany will beat Spain 3-1 orr 3-2.

Then Germany win the final.

Edit: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=15498991&postcount=33

You could very well be right, sir.

Buddy Lee on
    Join Penny-Arcaders in EPL Fantasy Futbol! Click to see details.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/my-leagues/

The join code for the CLASSIC league: 214755-65927

The join code for the HEAD-TO-HEAD league: 5294-3346
  • Options
    Buddy LeeBuddy Lee Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

4. Spain over Uruguay
    5. Uruguay over Spain
    7. Uruguay over Germany
    8. Germany over Uruguay

Also, there's really only one possible final: Germany vs Someone Else with Germany winning.

While I think both games were very exciting, I can understand why someone would say that the Spain/Paraguay game was better to watch. There is no reason to berate someone for having an opinion.

Buddy Lee on
    Join Penny-Arcaders in EPL Fantasy Futbol! Click to see details.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/my-leagues/

The join code for the CLASSIC league: 214755-65927

The join code for the HEAD-TO-HEAD league: 5294-3346
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Watching the Uruguay v Ghana replay and man, even knowing the ending I was getting knots toward the end. Sad Ghana went out, but what an ending. Suarez literally taking one for the team, the gutwrenching penalties...

Jesus, that chip in for the last penalty. That hurts.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Things definitely got better as they went along this WC. I was pretty pissed off in the group stages except for LD's late winner against Algeria.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I was gone this weekend, so I missed the Germany and Spain games. Looks like I missed a bunch too. Germany has definitely found its mojo, they look like they can just demolish any team. But Spain can still score at any moment as long as Torres isnt playing. That semi should be fantastic. Here's hoping for Spain over Germany, COME ON PSYCHIC OCTOPUS!!!

And in what language does Klose translate into "Always scores for Germany, always"??? Cause seriously, the guy is just money in the World Cup for ze Germans.

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    AvicusAvicus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It feels so much better to be an Australian supporter now than it did when we first lost. I mean we did better than Argentina and the same as England with only 10 men. Sounds alright to me.

Avicus on
    stephen_coop.gifkim_coop.gifscott_guitar.gif
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hope: Dutch win their first title.

Expectation: 1974.

The Judge on
    Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Avicus wrote: »
    It feels so much better to be an Australian supporter now than it did when we first lost. I mean we did better than Argentina and the same as England with only 10 men. Sounds alright to me.

It still hurts that had one Ghanaian shot been a few inches either to the left or the right we'd have likely gone through to at least the second round.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

Hey now. Netherlands-Brazil was an awful game. Both are defensive teams full of writhers and moaners. If it wasn't a game of two big names, that would be more obvious.

It was also awful because we lost

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    evilbob wrote: »
    Avicus wrote: »

It still hurts that had one Ghanaian shot been a few inches either to the left or the right we'd have likely gone through to at least the second round.

What could have been: The story of Australian soccer.

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The reason I put Spain/Paraguay above Netherlands/Brazil was because I actually saw the entirety of it. Netherlands/Brazil, I had just woken up and was drifting in and out of sleep over the course of the second half.

Oh am I glad there are no more of those 9 AM starts.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    AvicusAvicus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The reason I put Spain/Paraguay above Netherlands/Brazil was because I actually saw the entirety of it. Netherlands/Brazil, I had just woken up and was drifting in and out of sleep over the course of the second half.

Oh am I glad there are no more of those 9 AM starts.

Lucky you. Games have been on at 9:30. 12. and 4:30 overnight. So if you wanted to watch all three you had to find time to sleep during the workday. Now we have to get up at the awkward time of 4:30 in the morning.

Avicus on
    stephen_coop.gifkim_coop.gifscott_guitar.gif
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm just sad that I'll miss the semifinals since I now work every weekday now.

Should be able to see the finals though, unless I get guilted into spending the whole weekend at the family reunion.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TallaclasseeTallaclassee you ever seen a lion limber up before it takes down a gazelleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The Judge wrote: »
    Hope: Dutch win their first title.

Expectation: 1974.

Deutschland fan here.

Germany has played totaalvoetball this whole tournament. Holland has eeked out victory after victory based on "luck" and "perseverance". Sound familiar?

Maybe 1974 in reverse this time? Hopefully not ;)

Tallaclassee on
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Germany might not waltz over Spain that easily, but will win in the end ... and will rip apart whoever comes out of the other semi. I would absolutely love to have the Dutch in the finals, just so we could stick it to them ... again.

TheBigEasy on
  • Options
    McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There's a small vibration in my air conditioning which sounds like a vuvuzela and I thought I missed a game when I woke up.

McAllen on
  • Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    McAllen wrote: »
    There's a small vibration in my air conditioning which sounds like a vuvuzela and I thought I missed a game when I woke up.

Those might be tiny football aficionados setting up shop in there.

They like cooping up in there before they start munching through the softer elements in your walls and insulation.

Nasty little buggers, even if you are deaf. Tell you what, for some money under the table I'll start putting up microscopic signs inside the unit explicitly banning the consumption of alcohol - that will repel every single one.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]