As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Is the [Chat] Black Enough?

• PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This was a few years ago, but IIRC it was a powder that you added water to.

The stains didn't come out very well, did they? Water's one of the worst things you can mix henna powder with.

Still, it's cool that you've got past experience with it. Henna's fun to play with. :D

Passerbye on
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    the "games are art" debate is really boring

I actually find it a lot more interesting than debates on religion, philosophy, music, or pretty much anything else that goes on here on any regular basis.

That being said I've also debated it a few times so yeah I'm not really all excited about it

But I don't think it's any more boring or silly than other debates, and in fact think it is a lot less boring than most

Nocturne on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My eyelid keeps twitching.

It means I have eye-AIDS, doesn't it.

desc on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I mean... the man is no Gene Shalit

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Preacher, your hard on for Ebert is sickening.

JustinSane07 on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ok where in this paragraph.

The story takes place in the future, after Man has devastated the planet and survives in the form of beings with magical powers allowing them to influence earth, water and fire. These warring factions are held in uneasy harmony by the Avatar, but the Avatar has disappeared, and Earth lives in a state of constant turmoil caused by the warlike Firebenders.

Are we to imply that this is Ebert misinterpreting the story of the show or is he relating what the movie explains as the story set up? I mean I haven't seen the movie, and I doubt you have, so passer, tell me how ebert is messing up the origin from this paragraph with your knowledge.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited June 2010

I love throat fucking him, its like a vagina but with a man.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    was anyone actually expecting the movie to be any good

I mean honestly

Elendil on
    edited June 2010

Well to be fair the fact that Preacher's penis looks like a rat gnawing on an inside-out sausage has nothing to do with Ebert

Nocturne on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Elendil wrote: »

I mean honestly

You know how nerds are with their nerdy things.

Chanus on
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

The story takes place in the future, after Man has devastated the planet and survives in the form of beings with magical powers allowing them to influence earth, water and fire. These warring factions are held in uneasy harmony by the Avatar, but the Avatar has disappeared, and Earth lives in a state of constant turmoil caused by the warlike Firebenders.

Are we to imply that this is Ebert misinterpreting the story of the show or is he relating what the movie explains as the story set up? I mean I haven't seen the movie, and I doubt you have, so passer, tell me how ebert is messing up the origin from this paragraph with your knowledge.

If he's describing the movie story set up then obviously he's correct. If he's trying to imply that this is what's happening in the original series, he's about 90% wrong. In the series there is no indication that the story takes place in the future or even on Earth (given the strange animals and plants shown), nor is there any indication that the nations fought with each other (or were even in 'uneasy harmony' with each other) until the Fire nation decided to take over the planet about 150 years before the story begins.

He's not clear on whether he's trying to describe the series or the movie in that part of his review. Given that it has mostly nothing to do with the series, I'm going to guess that he's not familiar with the series at all and is only commenting on the movie.

Passerbye on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I would say that 100% he is talking about the movie right there, I don't see a reason to believe otherwise.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I mean honestly

I think it looks cool

I have watched a little bit of the show

it seems okay except I only want to watch the episodes that advance the story and not the wacky hijinks

skippydumptruck on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    hey, you can fix that oven pretty easily with a new element and a clip.

I DON'T WANT A FIRE

it's not gonna cause a...

IM GONNA BUY A NEW STOVE

Dunadan019 on
    edited June 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    I would say that 100% he is talking about the movie right there, I don't see a reason to believe otherwise.

I tend to agree with you on this. Preacher's idea was that he's trusting Ebert partly because it would seem, to Preacher at least, that the guy has a 'passing knowledge' of the series, which is unlikely.

Passerbye on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Chanus wrote: »

I mean honestly

It'll "suck" even if it doesn't suck?

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited June 2010
    Can I be tomorrow at 4:00 PM already?

Cannot focus at work.

:l

desc on
    edited June 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »

I mean honestly

It'll "suck" even if it doesn't suck?

Yeah, and then the outrage when it turns out it does suck, as predicted... or drooling and fawning when it turns out to be mediocre.

Chanus on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Passerbye wrote: »

I tend to agree with you on this. Preacher's idea was that he's trusting Ebert partly because it would seem, to Preacher at least, that the guy has a 'passing knowledge' of the series, which is unlikely.

well he at least spoke to the animation style in the review multiple times, doesn't say much but he has some level of knowledge.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    edited June 2010
    desc wrote: »

Cannot focus at work.

Pretty sure you can't become a time period, sorry.

Passerbye on
    edited June 2010
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

I DON'T WANT A FIRE

IM GONNA BUY A NEW STOVE

Is this the part where you volunteer to help them move the old stove out and then receive a free stove which only requires a new element and clip?

desc on
    edited June 2010
    Nerds! SkyNet is deciphering 3,500-year-old languages!

http://io9.com/5576734/computer-program-deciphers-a-dead-language-that-mystified-linguists

And here I am struggling with Arabic.

Chanus on
    edited June 2010

Cannot focus at work.

Pretty sure you can't become a time period, sorry.

YOU NEVER LET ME BE ANYTHING

desc on
    edited June 2010

well he at least spoke to the animation style in the review multiple times, doesn't say much but he has some level of knowledge.

That can be accomplished by watching the opening credits, the animation style is fairly distinctive.

Passerbye on
    edited June 2010

So you glean this knowledge from nothing then? Ok well then thats good, glad to hear it. In the review itself he mentions.

Now for the movie itself. The first fatal decision was to make a live-action film out of material that was born to be anime. The animation of the Nickelodeon TV series drew on the bright colors and "clear line" style of such masters as Miyazaki, and was a pleasure to observe. It's in the very nature of animation to make absurd visual sights more plausible.

Now to be aware of the art style and how it was a "pleasure to observe" can we not imply that he watched an episode or two of the show? But what do I know I'm just reading the review itself and not just making half assed assumptions.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited June 2010
    PBF037-Bear_Boy.gif

Elendil on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

So you glean this knowledge from nothing then? Ok well then thats good, glad to hear it. In the review itself he mentions.

Now for the movie itself. The first fatal decision was to make a live-action film out of material that was born to be anime. The animation of the Nickelodeon TV series drew on the bright colors and "clear line" style of such masters as Miyazaki, and was a pleasure to observe. It's in the very nature of animation to make absurd visual sights more plausible.

Now to be aware of the art style and how it was a "pleasure to observe" can we not imply that he watched an episode or two of the show? But what do I know I'm just reading the review itself and not just making half assed assumptions.
    You know the saying, "When you use half your ass to make an assumption, you make an ass out of half your ass."

Robos A Go Go on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I DON'T WANT A FIRE

IM GONNA BUY A NEW STOVE

Is this the part where you volunteer to help them move the old stove out and then receive a free stove which only requires a new element and clip?

I don't need two stoves.

Dunadan019 on
    edited June 2010
    Speaking of Skynet and nerdery

Stolen from reddit but still awesome.

Nocturne on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    god i want like

a plate of hot pancakes with a little butter and some syrup

side of sausage links

huge glass of orange juice

fux

Organichu on
    edited June 2010
    Let me repeat - knowing the animation style is not an indication that he knows the series, just that he's watched the opening credits, perhaps a single episode. I wouldn't consider knowing what it looks like to be 'passing knowledge' of the series.

And yes, I read the review, thank you.

Now calm down Preacher, I don't know what you're getting upset about here.

Passerbye on
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

If he's describing the movie story set up then obviously he's correct. If he's trying to imply that this is what's happening in the original series, he's about 90% wrong. In the series there is no indication that the story takes place in the future or even on Earth (given the strange animals and plants shown), nor is there any indication that the nations fought with each other (or were even in 'uneasy harmony' with each other) until the Fire nation decided to take over the planet about 150 years before the story begins.

He's not clear on whether he's trying to describe the series or the movie in that part of his review. Given that it has mostly nothing to do with the series, I'm going to guess that he's not familiar with the series at all and is only commenting on the movie.

why on earth would he even talk about the series even if he had knowledge of it in the review for the movie?

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Why do bottles of beer not have Nutritional Information labels?

_J_ on
    edited June 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    god i want like

a plate of hot pancakes with a little butter and some syrup

side of sausage links

huge glass of orange juice

fux
    ask nexus to mail it down

in a manila envelope

padded, of course

Elendil on
    edited June 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Speaking of Skynet and nerdery

Stolen from reddit but still awesome.

I get the 1337 part and that the answer is 42, but I feel like I'm missing more intricate parts of the joke.

Chanus on
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Nerds! SkyNet is deciphering 3,500-year-old languages!

http://io9.com/5576734/computer-program-deciphers-a-dead-language-that-mystified-linguists

And here I am struggling with Arabic.

Daaaamn that is a misleading headline. Interesting article once you get past the bullshit that comprises the first half or so though.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    edited June 2010
    I don't need two stoves.

Gotcha. Okay then, resume being annoyed at them.

desc on
    edited June 2010
    _J_ wrote: »
    Why do bottles of beer not have Nutritional Information labels?

Because if people knew beer was great for growing children, it would upset the natural order.

Chanus on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I DON'T WANT A FIRE

IM GONNA BUY A NEW STOVE

When did you talk to my mother on the phone? How did you get her number?!

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    ELENDIL

TONIGHT

WE GET OUR BORDERLANDS ON

Nerdgasmic on
This discussion has been closed.