As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me identify a game -- Fantasy RPG Town Simulator

LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Games and Technology
A while back, like probably a year or more, I remember reading a preview article in a magazine. I think it was in PC Gamer, in which they were talking about an upcoming PC title that was a fantasy RPG town simulator.

The concept was that in pretty much every RPG, the hero always stops in towns and restocks on supplies, upgrades their weapons and armor, and picks up new companions and side-quests. Rather than playing the part of the adventurer, you play the part of the guy that runs the town. You manage your blacksmith shops, your taverns and inns, your NPCs and all that other stuff.

Basically, it was like a Sim City style town building game with fantasy RPG elements. You build your town so that when wandering adventurers come through, they can be successful in their journeys.

My problem: I cannot for the life of me recall what the name of this game was, or find any information on it. Is it even still in production? Did it come out and I missed it? I honestly have no idea. All I know is that when I initially read about it, I thought it was a pretty cool idea.

Lucascraft on

• Options
    MargaretMargaret Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Is it Hinterland?

Margaret on
    XBL: MagWheels
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Or perhaps Majesty? If it was Majesty I think there are sequels out.

Edit: Majesty 2 was released September of last year.

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This definitely sounds like it could be Majesty 2.

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Probably was not Majesty 2. That wiki page specifically states that it has no sandbox mode and I'm pretty sure the game I'm thinking of was entirely a sandbox. (But again, I might be wrong. I'm remembering from over a year ago).

Anyone know more about Hinterland? That one might be it, but from the description on the webpage, it sounds like they actually have a fair bit of roleplaying there too. I don't remember getting the impression from the preview article I read that the player would be doing any adventuring of their own. The game sounded entirely like a town simulator.

Like basically a tycoon game or something. One of the other features that I recall is that different NPCs had different stats and specialties, and a big part of the gameplay was in recruiting better and better NPCs for your town. For example, when you start out, you might just have a really shitty blacksmith who only knows how to sharpen swords and other simple stuff. But as your town grows and becomes more prestigious (and as you get more money), you can pay better blacksmiths to come in, with talents such as magical weapon creation and other stuff.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    ValleoValleo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm looking at this list and not having much luck;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_of_city-building_video_games

Frankly, the game you describe sounds like a lot of fun. Kind of like a more in depth Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King.

On a side note, I never knew A Kingdom for Keflings existed. Is that any good?

Valleo on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I have an idea. Lets get some dudes that know how to make games and we'll just create the game I'm imagining. I'll serve as pit-boss and crack my whip and shout obscenities, and other people can handle the coding, art, modeling, and animation.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well, I'll just toss a video of Majesty 2 out, just because it is a fun game and it sounds like the game you are describing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1OfVyhG5ys

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Oh man. That Crystal Chronicles: My Life as King sounds totally awesome. And I own a Wii. I might have to check that out, although I know for a fact it isn't the one I'm thinking of.

RE: Majesty 2 -- I missed the daily Majesty 2 Steam Sale. I feel really bad now because if I had paid more attention a couple days ago, I totally would've bought it. But I had no idea what it was so I basically just ignored it.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I know this isn't what you're thinking of because it's Wii and not PC, but the Wiiware game My Life as a King is quite similar in concept. It's lacking in depth, but as a Sim City with shops and training halls for supporting the RPG adventurers, it succeeds and is pretty fun.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Majesty 2 is pretty awesome but the difficulty curve goes up really quick.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    That Majesty 2 video looks pretty cool as an RTS, but I know I'm definitely not looking for an RTS. I'm looking for a simulation.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    That Majesty 2 video looks pretty cool as an RTS, but I know I'm definitely not looking for an RTS. I'm looking for a simulation.

This really sounds like ... uh, about 80% of Hinterlands. But Hinterlands is really more like "Diablo, but you build the town."

Its Sim aspects are pretty limited, IMO.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    Sorcha RavenlockSorcha Ravenlock Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hinterland has a demo, you could always grab that to see if it is what you are looking for?

Sorcha Ravenlock on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Is the demo on Steam or on their website? I don't see it on Steam. But I think I made up my mind that I'll grab Majesty 2 and try it out the next time its on sale.

I picked up Tropico 3 which should hold me over in the interim. Not at all what I was looking for except that its a city builder. But being Fidel Castro is pretty cool too.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Sorcha RavenlockSorcha Ravenlock Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I got the demo from their own site, there doesn't seem to be a demo on Steam.

I found Hinterlands to be rather shallow though to be honest. There is only one map, the only thing that changes is your characters class and the random NPCs you seem to attract IIRC. I played it once, and could get myself to finish a second playthrough.
    the idea was nice though, I would love to see a proper AA title around the idea of combining a citybuilder and an rPG.

Sorcha Ravenlock on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The game you describe actually sounds pretty awesome. We should totally make it.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    P.Y.T.P.Y.T. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I put quite a bit of time into My Life as a King and I can confirm that it is in fact quite fun.

P.Y.T. on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Have you tried looking for the old magazine?

rayofash on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If the game you're talking about isn't Majesty 2, please let me know because I want to play it.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    sounds like something similar to the dungeon keeper series ( you ran the dungeons the heroes travelled thru) checking their game list, maybe they did it.

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    AEFAEF Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The concept was that in pretty much every RPG, the hero always stops in towns and restocks on supplies, upgrades their weapons and armor, and picks up new companions and side-quests. Rather than playing the part of the adventurer, you play the part of the guy that runs the town. You manage your blacksmith shops, your taverns and inns, your NPCs and all that other stuff.

I believe that The Guild 2 may be what you're thinking of.

From the wiki page:
    Character classes

In the medieval world of The Guild 2, there are several character classes and their respective professional groups. You have a quick overview of what you can play as any character class contains at least two or more professions, players can choose between four classes, than what the player wants to start the game, he can choose himself, the game distinguishes between four classes.

There is the patron who can construct buildings such as a bakery, then there is the craftsman with a workshop, namely to operate a foundry or a carpenter, and scholars who has the opportunity to start their own small community by building a chapel.

The player can also choose to be a villain (rogue). With this it is possible to you to build your own little den of thieves at the forest to plunder unsuspecting citizens along the way - a nasty and yet lucrative source of income. Each of these character classes is based on several occupations, so that you have the choice of different professions.

AEF on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    rayofash wrote: »
    Have you tried looking for the old magazine?

Naw, I don't keep magazines around very long. I throw them out after I read them.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It sounds amazing! Please someone, identify the game or make it. :)

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    anyone had any luck identifying this game? because it sounds like something i should play

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited July 2010
    AEF wrote: »

I believe that The Guild 2 may be what you're thinking of.

From the wiki page:
    Character classes

In the medieval world of The Guild 2, there are several character classes and their respective professional groups. You have a quick overview of what you can play as any character class contains at least two or more professions, players can choose between four classes, than what the player wants to start the game, he can choose himself, the game distinguishes between four classes.

There is the patron who can construct buildings such as a bakery, then there is the craftsman with a workshop, namely to operate a foundry or a carpenter, and scholars who has the opportunity to start their own small community by building a chapel.

The player can also choose to be a villain (rogue). With this it is possible to you to build your own little den of thieves at the forest to plunder unsuspecting citizens along the way - a nasty and yet lucrative source of income. Each of these character classes is based on several occupations, so that you have the choice of different professions.

The wiki article for this game is so bad that I can't decide whether it's hilarious or pathetic.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    macht102macht102 Registered User new member
    i know this is an old topic but i think it might of been http://www.townsgame.com/

• Options
    OGRastamonOGRastamon Registered User new member
    I found this old thread searching for what I believe to be the same game. None of those suggested so far is correct and the only one that even comes close to what you described is Majesty. In fact when I first played that I thought "Oh this is like an extended version of "BLANK". Well after hours of searching that blank can be filled with "Medieval Conquest" from Cat Daddy Games. It's definitely the game I was looking for and perhaps the one you sought as well.

• Options
    DrCongoDrCongo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I guess you weren't talking about mobile games, but here's a heads-up for anyone interested: there's a mobile game called Dungeon Village, it is by Kairosoft, and it fits the description quite well.

Take a look if you have an Android or iPhone. A warning: very very VERY addictive stuff. There's a free version you can play just enough to get you well and truly hooked.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Do you remember if the game was 2D or 3D?

I think RPS had mentioned an indie Diablo-like a year ago but I cannot find the article.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    LordYaboLordYabo Registered User new member
    edited January 2013
    I have an idea. Lets get some dudes that know how to make games and we'll just create the game I'm imagining. I'll serve as pit-boss and crack my whip and shout obscenities, and other people can handle the coding, art, modeling, and animation.

OK! We're m

Seriously though, we started work on this project and I was searching around the genre and found this thread. So while it obviously isn't the game you were interested in, maybe it is something you'd like.

Echo on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    @LordYabo Let us know when your game has come along a little more - I know I'd love to see the progress!

Has anyone played White Knight Chronicles? The GeoTown building was a lot of fun, and I wish there was a standalone game of just that sort of thing.

As it was more of a side-game within WKC (and the core of the multiplayer element), you would recruit from a set of citizens that you find in the towns, and they had their own stats and specializations in terms of farming and using things like textiles, metals or other resources. As you accumulated wealth in the main game, you could then spend it on upgrading your town to have more land, buildings, shops, or harvestable resources for adventurers, who were actually real players visiting your town as a hub to get together to do quests. As you invest in your town's economy and resources, your shopkeepers were able to sell more epic gear, which was really one of the only ways to obtain the best gear possible in the main game.

I could easily see a full game with the Sim-building elements to build the best town possible, but allow players to build some REALLY different towns and not just the cookie-cutter stuff of like "I need to build a stable so I can buy the jousting arena upgrade, which will allow me to sell horse armor." Let players build a town that specializes in some rare metals because you decided to set the foundation at the base of some ore-rich mountains.

Then, also include the option to let players visit each other's towns, and even include a full-fledged adventure so it's not just a Sim game. No one can complain that once they've built a town they can be proud of, that the game "ends" arbitrarily that way. Plus I think it'd be fun to adventure with the gear and resources you create in your town, and visit other towns to shop.

Let's make this happen!

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    LordYabo wrote: »
    OK! We're makin

Seriously though, we started work on this project and I was searching around the genre and found this thread. So while it obviously isn't the game you were interested in, maybe it is something you'd like.

Interested!

Echo on
This discussion has been closed.