As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[OOC] Rogue Trader: The Fools Gamble

• Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well i don't know if I am cursed or lucky, I mean the same number on 2 d100 rolls? :(

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2603185/
    89 for Xeno info on X'oth xenos (need 31)
    89 for Archeotech info on the Arthur Haarlock's last stand (need 31)

Well either way the rolls can always be altered by the difficulty of the tests, getting a +0 test is actually challenging where a routine test is +20 making it so routine tests we should fail only about half the time.

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • jimbo034jimbo034 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have a couple questions about our ship and spacefaring. How much space does the 11 points remaining represent in actual terms? How many soldiers can we cram into that space? How much would it cost to rent a convoy of ships to supply the forgeworld? And, is it possible to find a consistent safe path through the warp storms?

edit:
    also I would like to roll for insight into the population of the xeno's and their general tech level (forbidden lore: xenos) and the odds of finding a stable route through the warp storm (Scholastic lore: astromancy).

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2603240/
    1d100 → [26] = (26) vs 37 int
    1d100 → [80] = (80) vs 37 int

jimbo034 on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Inquiry Test for info on undertakings. (1d100=29) Since I'm a Seneschal, I get an extra degree of success on that, for a total of three extra degrees of success.

Forbidden Lore (Archeotech) Test for info on undertakings. (1d100=1) Uhhh... with Unnatural Intelligence, that's, like, six extra degrees of success.

Edit: Just noticed I spelled Marcus' name wrong in those rolls; proof that I'm not cheating.

Thanatos on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Does anyone know offhand if I have to spend my fate point for Seeker of Lore before I would roll, or if I'm allowed to declare it after?

I assume before.

Thanatos on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Looks like we're missing two people.

What else do we need to roll for? I don't know what kind of equipment we need to keep track of. I know ammo is mostly ignored, what about food? Survival supplies? I sorta want a backpack, those are always handy.

Not sure what else is useful to have around, I sorta lose my way without the standard 10 foot pole and 50 feet of silk rope to fall back on.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited July 2010
    I'm sorry if I missed this but do we not have an arch militant?

jimbo034 on
    edited July 2010
    One of the two that hasn't posted quite yet.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sorry guys. Was a bit busy for a couple days. I am here to be your slightly inebriated leader again.

Moridin889 on
  • Undead UnicornUndead Unicorn Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If Salt doesn't post by Friday...I'll have someone replace him.

Also will have you success and what info they bring in a short while. Honest.

Undead Unicorn on
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm not missing I just don't really have any input on which direction we want to go here

INeedNoSalt on
    edited July 2010
    Alright Inquiry rolls: All of you who posted one, I want us to roleplay you getting it. Lore rolls are knowledge you already have, so there's no need for that. Just go to the bar and took to a few off duty sailors.

For Thantos...for the sheer level of successes you had, I want you to go to the Nobilis Quarters...where the "nobility" (rich thieves, merchants, and high ranking naval deserts who don't know what a noble is) reside. You should come up to them just as their having dinner. Next time I'll make sure to 'lead' you there on a roll like this, but I want us to get to the actual Endeavors quickly.

For Xenos rolls on our insect friends...they are a primitive space faring race, that can only travel with in the first couple of star systems. No STL. No energy weapons. Most of their tech descends from them human STC technology. Meaning with a little work, if you found something you like, you could sell/use it with impunity from Adeptus Machinatos within the Imperium.

They basically just use Autoguns and other slug throwers, though their ships USED to be more advanced thanks to the Eldar giving them modern starships in defense of their planet and solar system, but its fallen thanks to the Kroot onslaught.

They stand about 5 to 5'4 feet tall, are bipedal and can fly.

Undead Unicorn on
    edited July 2010
    jimbo034 wrote: »
    I have a couple questions about our ship and spacefaring. How much space does the 11 points remaining represent in actual terms? How many soldiers can we cram into that space? How much would it cost to rent a convoy of ships to supply the forgeworld? And, is it possible to find a consistent safe path through the warp storms?

edit:
    also I would like to roll for insight into the population of the xeno's and their general tech level (forbidden lore: xenos) and the odds of finding a stable route through the warp storm (Scholastic lore: astromancy).

I believe the empty space represents just that, large empty caverns or maze warrens of cramped pipes and metal, not fit areas to live in. The areas might not even have heat, light, or pressure! They do represent areas we could add on extra parts to the ship later like cargo bays, munitions dumps, luxury suits or military barracks. I believe we can hire combat brigades without a barracks but we would not receive any bonuses and may gain penalties. Troops require more then just living space, they need weapons lockers, training areas, shooting ranges, exercise equipment, bars and recreation and mess halls to name a few. Remember this ship is a small city so a single ship point represents like a city block or more of space.

And INeedNoSalt, your advice on warfare and tactical combat would defiantly be welcome (besides what most of us posted was conjecture anyway). Maybe you could look into recruiting some troops even.

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
    edited July 2010
    If INeedNoSalt gets some troops, I could arrange a transport to carry them. From what you're saying void slayer it sounds like we would either have to modify our ship to carry a greatly reduced number of troops or we could hire a dedicated troopship to carry them. Something like this perhaps. the actual number of troops it can carry couldn't be more vague but the blurb says that it can carry "many regiments"; to make matters worse the size of a regiment can vary between a few hundred individuals to tens of thousands*. Does 100,000 per transport sound about right Undead?

edit: I looked at the acquisition modifier table we might have a hard time scaring up enough troops to fill something that large, perhaps we don't want to engage these aliens in a straight up fight.

jimbo034 on
    edited July 2010

edit:

I believe the empty space represents just that, large empty caverns or maze warrens of cramped pipes and metal, not fit areas to live in. The areas might not even have heat, light, or pressure! They do represent areas we could add on extra parts to the ship later like cargo bays, munitions dumps, luxury suits or military barracks. I believe we can hire combat brigades without a barracks but we would not receive any bonuses and may gain penalties. Troops require more then just living space, they need weapons lockers, training areas, shooting ranges, exercise equipment, bars and recreation and mess halls to name a few. Remember this ship is a small city so a single ship point represents like a city block or more of space.

And INeedNoSalt, your advice on warfare and tactical combat would defiantly be welcome (besides what most of us posted was conjecture anyway). Maybe you could look into recruiting some troops even.

Barracks make your job easier. You can still acquire troops, without penalty, without it. In fact, by default, you have a company of Guardsmen with you. The Barracks basically means they'll always be training at optimal efficacy and be organized.

On the other hand, now might be the time to start talking to the "Nobility" and Merchant houses on Footfall if that's what you want to do. For a small chunk of your future profit factor from that Endeavor they could lend you some finical backing.

Undead Unicorn on
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    UC, where would I go to ask questions about the warp storm? There's no inquisition on the station, I would assume?

Carnarvon on
    edited July 2010
    I would say....The high rises of the Docks. In my settings at least, whenever a Navigator (whoever rarely) leaves his ship he goes off to a high scale place to relax, near his ship.

To help describe the place to you, its the one place on Footfall that doesn't look like a ghetto or worn down or fucking ridiculous. Its in mostly a pseudo art deco style....and its all plated with gold and jewels.

Undead Unicorn on
    edited July 2010
    I don't really know much about the flavor of this universe, trying to pick it up as we go along. I'm not sure how to continue without answers to some of my questions from earlier.

I could work a little better with something more direct, I don't exactly know what to do since we all seem to have different ideas yet need to make a decision before moving to the actual adventure.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited July 2010
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I don't really know much about the flavor of this universe, trying to pick it up as we go along. I'm not sure how to continue without answers to some of my questions from earlier.

I could work a little better with something more direct, I don't exactly know what to do since we all seem to have different ideas yet need to make a decision before moving to the actual adventure.

Well I'll provide the ten foot poll. Either go the High Docks or the Noblis Quarters.

As a Navigator, you feel kinda restrained while on the ground. You used to "sailing" in the warp. What the traversing the warp is like is ENTIRELY UP TO YOU. You could be wandering a desert or flying in the sky or the helmsmen of a ship or wandering a dark corridor. Other than the fact that deviating from a path seems...dangerous....to say the least.

You don't need a backpack, but if you did you probably have on the ship. As for supplies. For a six month journey, I'd say you'd have to roll under a 80 to get all the food/water/ other essentials or otherwise have to ration.

As for your Inquiry, its your Int score. It can be modified according to a variety of factors one of witch is who your talking to and the flavor of your post.

Also to make things simpler do you guys want to vote on what mission to run right now? I don't want to reveal to much, but if your looking for something pacific in an Endeavor I can tell you witch one has the most of it.

Undead Unicorn on
    edited July 2010
    Have we decided on what endeavor we're undertaking?

jimbo034 on
    edited July 2010
    I am voting for the insect race, but that's just cause I love Tau so much and kroot are the next best thing.

All we need to do is outfit the ship with some barracks and raise an army. Oh and equip the army, that might be a good idea.

Void Slayer on
    edited July 2010
    We have an already equipped army. Company of Imperial Guardsmen. Don't know how much armor (vehicles) they have, but that's all up to our wise and generous GM.

Moridin889 on
    edited July 2010
    If we're going to invade a planet, perhaps we should look into getting some penal troopers from the local lockup to bulk up our forces. They make good cannon fodder and would be easier to get than regular guardsmen. With a few commissars to keep them in line they could come in handy.

jimbo034 on
    edited July 2010
    Regardless of what we do I vote we leave out the "kill everyone" options in favor of the "get rich off of everyone" options

You Xeno-haters keep it in your pants :p

INeedNoSalt on
    edited July 2010
    Personally, I'd like to not get into a land war with kroot. Besides, I want to see how the ship-to-ship combat and stuff works.

Carnarvon on
    edited July 2010
    pretty much

anyway

going to war is expensive, and we're already pretty poor

INeedNoSalt on
    edited July 2010
    Moridin889 wrote: »
    We have an already equipped army. Company of Imperial Guardsmen. Don't know how much armor (vehicles) they have, but that's all up to our wise and generous GM.

Flash Lights and cardboard amour (aka Lasguns and Flak armor) with a couple Chimera's thrown in to make it fair.

And if finds are a problem, just talk to a noble or something for financing

Undead Unicorn on
    edited July 2010
    I agree with you salt, looking at the acquisition charts invading a planet with ground troops that has potentially billions of inhabitants is looking rather difficult. Kroot warspheres aren't very good ships anyways, right?

jimbo034 on
    edited July 2010
    and after you wipe out an entire race of people what do you get

pre-modern xeno-tech? people aren't going to buy if what they can get from pre-modern non-xeno worlds is better >>

INeedNoSalt on
    edited July 2010
    I agree with you salt, looking at the acquisition charts invading a planet with ground troops that has potentially billions of inhabitants is looking rather difficult. Kroot warspheres aren't very good ships anyways, right?

No. They aren't They have Warp capacity and a couple of tricks here and there, but your ship is much, much better than theirs.

That said performing a total Extremis is going to ruin some of the mineral worth of that world and it will cost more to mine it.

Undead Unicorn on
    edited July 2010
    My character is one of those, let everyone live and have everyone profit, until someone insults me. Then their head is blown off and I continue doing whatever it was to get rich.

We can handle most threats thrown at us, unless it's an entire fleet at once. In which case, if they are all raiders, we can still probably take them.

Warp storms are uncertain by nature, and our Navigator is technically untested.

Eldar are tricksy and it might be a wild goose chase. I don't like getting shot in the back suddenly or wasting my time not getting monies.

Kroot vs bugs seems to be the 'safest' bet. Our skill and weapons against theirs. And we have the Emperor on our side, as our Missionary friend would say. Good test of the skill systems, get everyone into it, not throw anything wild and crazy out first. Good blooding of our party.

Moridin889 on
    edited July 2010
    To be fair, killing the bugs is purely optional as well. Who says you can't reach an agreement or something? :lol:

Undead Unicorn on
    edited July 2010

No. They aren't They have Warp capacity and a couple of tricks here and there, but your ship is much, much better than theirs.

That said performing a total Extremis is going to ruin some of the mineral worth of that world and it will cost more to mine it.

Yeah exterminatus might be a bit rash but the threat of it will keep the bugs in line, once we take out the kroot.

jimbo034 on
    edited July 2010
    Well my earlier roles were bad, I'll roll for knowledge on the kroot and head back, that is really the extent of my abilities. If we are going to acquire anything for the ship like a compartment or a group of mercenaries or some walker or APCs I suggest Thanatos roll for them with his commerce skill for better results. I vote for a munitorium or barracks which we have space and power for and possibly walkers or tanks, i can repair them if they break (probably). I have kroot general knowledge, but wont share it cause of my terrible rolls.

Used a fate point to re-roll for better lore but no luck.

Forbidden lore (Xeno) on Kroot:
    re-roll

Now have 2/3 fate.

Void Slayer on
    edited July 2010
    I want to try and get a red dot sight for my bolt pistol. red dot sights are scarce.
    1d100 → [47] = (47)

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2607301/

at void slayer's behest i'll use my acquisition roll for something bigger and something that he doesn't need armorer for.

jimbo034 on
    edited July 2010

Yeah exterminatus might be a bit rash but the threat of it will keep the bugs in line, once we take out the kroot.

we probably couldn't afford to wipe out all life on an entire planet even if we wanted to.

shit's not cheap.

edit: do try to keep in mind that we've got one ship and we're pretty poor as far as rogue traders go, yeah?

INeedNoSalt on
    edited July 2010
    I want to try and get a red dot sight for my bolt pistol. red dot sights are scarce.
    1d100 → [47] = (47)

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2607301/

I will leave it to Undead Unicorn but since you are only getting one you should get +30 for Negligable scale.
    EXAMPLE: (I do not want this)
    For example if we wanted 5000 good quality (dried aunt beast meat and preserved fruit!) ration packs that would be 30 +70 (Ubiquitous) -20 (significant scale) +10 (good quality) = 100 automatic success

I may be wrong in this but a single acquisition role per person is a powerful resource, Undead is probably gonna crush us under kroot so we should get some good things. And that red dot sight will be awesome but I can't install it yet till I get armory Trade I believe.

Void Slayer on
    edited July 2010

we probably couldn't afford to wipe out all life on an entire planet even if we wanted to.

shit's not cheap.

edit: do try to keep in mind that we've got one ship and we're pretty poor as far as rogue traders go, yeah?

the x'oth don't know that we're broke :P

Also void slayer thanks for the explanation. This is only the second pnp rpg game that i've played. I'll use my acquisition for something more useful.

jimbo034 on
    edited July 2010
    Hopefully that time spent will get me a bonus to Astromancy/Navigation roles whenever we decide to head out. Or let me know if there's any horrible obstacles in our way before we even try.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited July 2010
    What happened to everyone? It seems the game kinda died... I guess its the middle of summer and people are on vacation.

jimbo034 on
    edited July 2010
    Unicorn seems to have died, and there's not a whole lot for us to do without him at the moment.

Carnarvon on