As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GameTrailers videos won't work in Firefox or Chrome.

ChanceChance Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Last night it was fine and today - bing - GameTrailers vids won't work. Woe is me.

I tried Internet Explorer, and the vids work fine there - IE is pretty slow, though. I thought it may have something to do with some variety of ad blocking (what with GameTrailers running commercials before their vids), but if that's the case I can't imagine what I can do about it, since I've never touched any variety of ad-blocking software and didn't do anything with my FireFox settings since last night.

I installed Google's Chrome browser and gave it a shot - same deal. YouTube works fine in Firefox, and the GameTrailers videos I've embedded on my blog also run without an issue, but when I try to watch a video in HD at GameTrailers.com, the video part of the page just stays black, and eventually in my status bar at the bottom of the browser it simply says "Done".

What do I do? Just totally reinstall Firefox and see if that helps? How do you uninstall the thing? I can't seem to find an option for that.

Thanks so much for any help.

TL: DR: Firefox will run YouTube videos and embedded standard-def GameTrailers, but it can't run any GameTrailers videos when I'm actually visiting GameTrailers.com. What gives?

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
Chance on

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Does it work in Opera? Also, what format are you watching? I think GT lets you swap between Quicktime, Windows Media Player, and something else.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hmmm good call lemmie try that. Haven't tried Opera, 'cause I think this is like the 2nd time I've heard of it.

Edit: Hmmm if there is an option to switch to quicktime, I can't see it.

Edit edit: just found a page on the Gametrailers forums - more than a few people suddenly get a black space where a video should be. That's good, 'cause if it's not just me hopefully it's a problem that they'll consider fixing.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've had this a few times. Once I fixed it, I think, but it was a different problem, I think. Last time it happened to me was a few weeks ago and I just reinstalled firefox, which fixed everything. Not the best solution, but one that should work if nothing else does.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    theclamtheclam Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Try updating Flash?

theclam on
    rez_guy.png