As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ubisoft College Job Offer

ShrieveShrieve Game DesignerCaliforniaRegistered User regular
edited July 2010 in Games and Technology
(Mods – I PM’d Tube beforehand to see if this was ok to post… the white approves)

Hey G&T. Couple year veteran lurker here; however I’m getting better at posting lately. So what’s the deal with the thread topic? Well I am currently an Intern at Ubisoft San Francisco for the summer, and I got here by working as their College Representative at my University for about a year.

For the 99% of you who probably don’t know what an Ubisoft College Rep is, basically the reps are hourly paid college students who host launch events for new games, put out grassroots marketing, and hassle retail chains like Gamestop for not putting up ad materials. The reps are given all kinds of swag and free copies of Ubisoft games to setup fun launch parties with tournaments and free food. You guys should have been there for the launch of Imagine: Fashion Designer! But a bit more seriously; over the last school year we had events for Assassin’s Creed 2, Splinter Cell: Conviction, No More Heroes 2, and TMNT: Smashup. A pretty good line-up if you ask me.

Anyways I’ll get to the point of this OP; the program has done so well that some of the higher-ups are taking notice and wants the program to try a few new things this coming school year. Now having launch parties and promotions at campus events can add up, however Marketing really likes all the online work the College Reps have done. So to supplement the current program a new position is being created: a College Digital Representative.

What’s that mean? Basically they're looking to have college students who spend way too many hours online on gaming forums, Facebook, Twitter, blogs, etc to put out news and hold promotional contests. To give you a better idea of what I’m talking about, I'll post the job description that HR put up on a bunch of campus job sites at the end of this post. I’ve been going through the resumes we’ve currently received, and although quite a few have been pretty good; the more the merrier. So after thinking about the position…
college students who spend way too many hours online on gaming forums, Facebook, Twitter, blogs, etc
I went, ‘oh yeah PA forumers’… So take a look at the spoilered job description; if you think it fits you PM me with some details and if it looks good I’ll send you my work email for the usual resume + cover letter deal. Thanks guys and good luck!

tl;dr – College Student? Like Video Games? Spend way too much time online? Have a social networking account? Then I might have a job for you. (Just don’t be a silly goose)

Ubisoft College Digital Representative
Job Description

Ubisoft, a global leader in the video games and entertainment software industry, is currently seeking enthusiastic, tech savvy college students to work as online brand ambassadors on their college campus.

The Ubisoft Digital Representative Program is an initiative to generate brand awareness among college students by creating an online community for Ubisoft in top college markets. Digital representatives will push out Ubisoft news and announcements and engage students with Ubisoft brands through various social networking sites, campus websites, and online campus media resources. As a Ubisoft Digital Representative candidates will work as temporary employees who report remotely to a Ubisoft Promotions Manager. Ubisoft will supply representatives with all Ubisoft product information and assets for use online as well as occasional promotional giveaway items and games.

Responsibilities:
• Generate mass buzz and awareness around Ubisoft games through online promotions
• Build a database of valuable active online fans within your college market
• Drive traffic to various Ubisoft websites and social networking groups
• Continue to grow all online college networks through various promotions on a regular basis
• Create a detailed conversation calendar for key Ubisoft titles working with Ubisoft to receive exclusive content
• Facilitate and grow involvement in mini games and online contests provided by Ubisoft
• Post questions and topics that spark engagement and provide rewards for active fans to encourage valuable interaction on social networking sites
• Track success of online promotions and submit recap reports to Ubisoft
• Provide ongoing feedback to Ubisoft regarding online promotions and campaigns

Qualifications:
• Must be extremely active on all relevant social networking sites on a regular basis (Facebook and Twitter and various blog sites)
• Must have access to a large social network of students online
• Must be tech savvy
• Motivated, ambitious and creative approach to executing online promotions
• Excellent written communication skills
• Must be able to think of creative ways to engage and encourage dialog with college students online
• Large online following is a plus (Social Networking, blogs, etc.)

About Ubisoft
Ubisoft is a leading producer, publisher and distributor of interactive entertainment products worldwide and has grown considerably through its strong and diversified lineup of products and partnerships. Ubisoft has offices in 26 countries and sales in more than 55 countries around the globe. It is committed to delivering high-quality, cutting-edge video game titles to consumers. Ubisoft generated revenue of 1,058 million Euros for the 2008–2009 fiscal year. To learn more, please visit www.ubisoftgroup.com.

FkbtS.png
Shrieve on

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It angers me that this is limited to college students.

Henroid on
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It angers me that this is limited to Ubisoft games.

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    ShrieveShrieve Game Designer CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    It angers me that this is limited to college students.

Alas, the whining forum is no longer around to vent our emotions.

Shrieve on
    FkbtS.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I was going to say that as a joke but I didn't want to shit on the thread. Edit - (This part was in response to Lilnoobs)

The reality is this is a pretty sweet deal. And Shrieve, thanks for making the offer to folks here. That's pretty ace. :^:

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    I was going to say that as a joke but I didn't want to shit on the thread. Edit - (This part was in response to Lilnoobs)

The reality is this is a pretty sweet deal. And Shrieve, thanks for making the offer to folks here. That's pretty ace. :^:

Thanks! Yeah I know the majority of people here are pretty cool people and know their games; that's who I'd honestly want to be working with. Hopefully something comes out of it for someone.

Shrieve on
    FkbtS.png
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Too bad I don't have as many subscribers as Helloween, mirite? Interesting thread, Shrieve, thanks for posting it!

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Shrieve wrote: »
    tl;dr – College Student? Like Video Games? Spend way too much time online? Have a social networking account? Then I might have a job for you. (Just don’t be a silly goose)
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    It angers me that this is limited to Ubisoft games.

Denied!

Shrieve on
    FkbtS.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I might actually be interested in this. I am 28 years old and a junior at Abilene Christian University (better late than never, right?), plus I spend way too much time online.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think I'm going to send you a PM. I spend way too much time online and am involved with a club on campus that is pretty much perfectly geared towards video game marketing.

[EDIT] Thanks for posting this, by the way. I, and I'm sure many others, really appreciate this.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Will this include generating buzz with Innergy or that weird lazer tag game?

This is actually a serious question since it would be nice to know if the market you're aiming for is casual, hardcore, or all of the above.

Edit: I guess it goes without saying that this probably wouldn't start until the school year does, right? Also, are you looking to do this on any college campus or major ones (UCLA, USC, etc.)?

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    Will this include generating buzz with Innergy or that weird lazer tag game?

This is actually a serious question since it would be nice to know if the market you're aiming for is casual, hardcore, or all of the above.

For example, the sort of work the on-campus reps will be working on this year will be Scott Pilgrim, Shaun White Skateboarding, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, Just Dance 2, Ghost Recon: Future Soldier, and Driver: San Fran (maybe on that one).

The digital reps will be doing all of the above and probably a bit broader with Ubisoft news. However since we are talking college reps, I doubt there will be much of any focus on Innergy and Battle Tag (welcome to the 90s); they just aren't the intended audience for that sort of thing.

However what I can do is bring that up tomorrow; I will be having a meeting with Digital Marketing to iron out a lot of what they exactly want out of the reps. We're going to be planning out a lot of stuff over the next week because following that I'll be doing the first interviews over the phone.

Shrieve on
    FkbtS.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Maybe this is a bit overreaching, but what about cross promotional events? I do remember Microsoft and MTV usually having on-campus promotions for games from a number of publishers. They always went over well though I doubt any on-campus rep would actually get those kind of resources. I do only have one TV and one Xbox 360.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    Maybe this is a bit overreaching, but what about cross promotional events? I do remember Microsoft and MTV usually having on-campus promotions for games from a number of publishers. They always went over well though I doubt any on-campus rep would actually get those kind of resources. I do only have one TV and one Xbox 360.

We love them. For Splinter Cell one of our guys and the Microsoft rep raffled off a 360 and SC:C on stage before introducing T-Pain to 6,000 students. What you can/can't to depends on the promotion etc, but we've had reps work with Microsoft, Dell, Red Bull, Monster, school organizations, you name it.

Shrieve on
    FkbtS.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Cool stuff. I do have other questions, but most of it is minutia and would probably just clutter the thread. I hope you're able to get someone from the forums. That would be pretty sweet.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is this limited to the US? Because I'm located in Canada and I wouldn't mind having an extra job in an industry which I follow a lot.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    finnith wrote: »
    Is this limited to the US? Because I'm located in Canada and I wouldn't mind having an extra job in an industry which I follow a lot.

That's something I'm looking into. Currently all the on-campus college reps are in the states, with anything in Canada covered by one of our offices up there. However the digital reps are a bit of grey area that was brought up when this idea was first discussed.

Tomorrow I have a meeting with Digital marketing, I'll be sure to bring this up so I can come up with a definitive answer. I'll keep you in the loop.

Shrieve on
    FkbtS.png
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So is the Ubisoft College Digital Representative job a paid internship too, or is this just about the swag? I couldn't really tell from your post.

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Paid Internship. :mrgreen:

Shrieve on
    FkbtS.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010

That's something I'm looking into. Currently all the on-campus college reps are in the states, with anything in Canada covered by one of our offices up there. However the digital reps are a bit of grey area that was brought up when this idea was first discussed.

Tomorrow I have a meeting with Digital marketing, I'll be sure to bring this up so I can come up with a definitive answer. I'll keep you in the loop.

finnith on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What if I need to promote another game like Conviction, which didn't come out on any system I own?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This is limited to only American educational faculities i assume?

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    if only this came when i was going to college for programming D:

instead i was a tester for activision for 4 years, testing games is not as much fun as it sounds.

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    killa283killa283 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This sounds most excellent for a person like me. Do we send resumes to you?

killa283 on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    if only this came when i was going to college for programming D:

instead i was a tester for activision for 4 years, testing games is not as much fun as it sounds.

C'mon you know you loved Extreme Bass Fishing.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    killa283 wrote: »
    This sounds most excellent for a person like me. Do we send resumes to you?

Yes, just send me a PM with some info and then I'll toss you my work email.
    This is limited to only American educational faculities i assume?

I'll be looking into answering this question later this afternoon in a meeting.

Thank you for all the responses guys!

Shrieve on
    FkbtS.png
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sent you a PM. Woo!

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I hate Ubisoft and I would take every chance possible to shit on them.

So keep in mind the facts that they suck in general, whore out bad franchises and shit on good ones, any new PC game they publish is infested with malware, and they eat the livers of unbaptised babies.

They are asking you to suck their diseased cocks for a few coins. I'll enjoy watching who is willing to pleasure frog dicks.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I hate Ubisoft and I would take every chance possible to shit on them.

So keep in mind the facts that they suck in general, whore out bad franchises and shit on good ones, any new PC game they publish is infested with malware, and they eat the livers of unbaptised babies.

They are asking you to suck their diseased cocks for a few coins. I'll enjoy watching who is willing to pleasure frog dicks.

I was upset when they cancelled Imagine: Nail Salon too.

Also; is your signature choice intended to be ironic?

Shrieve on
    FkbtS.png
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm being unexcellent to a company that is hostile to its customers. I don't mean any of that at you personally. I'm sure your cock is disease-free. I mean, maybe. I'm willing to take your word on that.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm being unexcellent to a company that is hostile to its customers. I don't mean any of that at you personally. I'm sure your cock is disease-free. I mean, maybe. I'm willing to take your word on that.

Well I inherently lack the ability to have a cock, disease free or not I'm afraid.

But anyways; sorry Ubisoft touched you in a funny place with it's DRM. The thread's for people interested in the job, not those who take whatever issue with the company. If you want to vent about it PM me or whatever; I really don't care. Unfortunately the Whining Forum's presence has left us, otherwise I'd just say post there.

At any rate you said your piece, now leave it be. Sorry I offered a gaming job on a forum full of gamers; I guess I should have known better! o_O

Shrieve on
    FkbtS.png
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If nothing else, Ubisoft gets a lot of points from me for publishing the No More Heroes games in the US.

Anyway I'll keep this in mind as it sounds like a pretty decent gig. Thanks for the heads up!

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Stop being a faggot, PolloDiablo. How about you go bitch on the GameFAQs boards.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hey guys, lets hug and make up.

As interested in this as I am, I don't think I fit the idea of the job. I go to a community college(A pretty big one, Diablo Valley College if perhaps you've heard of it, Shrieve), and I don't have a huge social networking web(including a lot of it being people in different states).

Sounds like something I'd enjoy, though.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited July 2010
    If you have strong feelings about Ubisoft, go ahead and make a thread about it. This is not that thread.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    What were the results of the meeting.

finnith on
  • Options
    BuraisuBuraisu Psychomancer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    • Excellent written communication skills
    Ahhh poo, I don't qualify.

Though, it would be a great job. Currently going to Central Washington University; I am part of the Video Game Developers Club and the Magic the Gathering Club which hosts events all of the time. :D

Buraisu on
    47uk6agplx83.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Woo busy few days getting stuff down before the 3 day weekend.

Good news and bad news for all of you guys who messaged me from up north. The Canadian PR department is interested in possibly trying to follow the program from the States, however they want to first see how the first Digital Reps do. If it goes well they'll probably do the same.

Until then, for all the Canadians who messaged me I'm going to take down your names and emails and put them in an Excel doc; if they decide to follow through I will send them your names.

For all the US repliers, thank you for the response guys!

Shrieve on
    FkbtS.png
  • Options
    Dropping LoadsDropping Loads Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This position isn't for me, but as a forum-goer I'm curious how much of the job description is "infiltration/viral" as opposed to just having someone on campus. I mean, you're on here now, saying "I work for UbiSoft and this is what we do," and I have a lot of respect for that, but would these employees be doing that, or "Oh my goodness I love UbiSoft so much I can't stop talking about it!" ?

Dropping Loads on
    Sceptre: Penny Arcade, where you get starcraft AND marriage advice.
    3clipse: The key to any successful marriage is a good mid-game transition.
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Woo busy few days getting stuff down before the 3 day weekend.

Good news and bad news for all of you guys who messaged me from up north. The Canadian PR department is interested in possibly trying to follow the program from the States, however they want to first see how the first Digital Reps do. If it goes well they'll probably do the same.

Until then, for all the Canadians who messaged me I'm going to take down your names and emails and put them in an Excel doc; if they decide to follow through I will send them your names.

For all the US repliers, thank you for the response guys!

Thanks for checking that out for us, Shrieve. Hopefully Canada doesn't get screwed on this like we do on everything else.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This position isn't for me, but as a forum-goer I'm curious how much of the job description is "infiltration/viral" as opposed to just having someone on campus. I mean, you're on here now, saying "I work for UbiSoft and this is what we do," and I have a lot of respect for that, but would these employees be doing that, or "Oh my goodness I love UbiSoft so much I can't stop talking about it!" ?

Yeah, one of my first thoughts when I read all this was that it sounded like UbiSoft was hiring a shill or something to that effect.

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png