As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Neptune's Pride] Here there be graphs

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Imperfect wrote: »
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Imperfect wrote: »
    2) No offense, but you didn't put the kibosh on me - a bacterial infection did. My plan before I was laid out was to make you pay for your treachery, so things might have gone rather different otherwise.

By "put the kibosh on," I mean "captured the last star of, thus permanently eliminating."

Should have made that clear. :)

Oh - and that calculator is inferior to mine, because mine calcs how many ships the opponent will have when the attacking fleet arrives, rather than relying on how many he has now or a guess.

Also - I really, really didn't want to attack you. I just kind of had to - especially with the way things with the initial attack on Lime turned out. Forgive me? Can we still be friends?

Sure we ca-*PENIS STAB*

*finger snaps*

I lol'ed.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This seems appropriate.

310056819_gJeTy-L-2.jpg

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So much advice needed but...too many words to read.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Darian wrote: »
    This looks interesting to me; just joined into one of the free games starting up, if anyone else is around and wants to jump in.

Or is someone looking to host another PA game?

Having caught up with the thread, I see I just missed the second PA game. Anyone want to join me here and help me learn (and dominate a galaxy of noobs)? At 4/8 so far.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'm in, Darian. I won't be terribly active, but I promise not to betray you like I may have betrayed other Arcadians.

One thing to bear in mind about the free games is that they tend to have half the players go afk immediately, and they also often have teams of collaborators already in game.

First tip: Grab as many planets as you can, as fast as you can, and sink cash into your economy for as long as you can before you start building up warships. If you can avoid conflict and build a strong economy first, you'll basically win.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Which is why I need friends!

Darian on
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Also, don't buy economy until basically JUST BEFORE your income tick - economy only counts ON the income tick, not for the 23.9 hours before. This gives you more time to snap up planets, which will make your economy cheaper to buy - which means you get more!

Imperfect on
  • Options
    Reasonable HoboReasonable Hobo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Death in defeat is death twice over! You're kind words mean nothing to me!

Anyways.

My entire motivation from this game came from Henriod basically calling my Aliens the "galactic pushovers" when he was describing us. Otherwise I wouldn't of cared as much about this game and probably would of been one of the first to be eliminated. However, I used this to basically push myself to aim for first place just to rub it in his face! :P

When he quit it shifted the dynamics of the game and my passion for first did subdue.

Although throughout the game I felt like I was constantly in a state of war with someone without really taking a step back to build up forces. Didn't really bother me but it did leave me in weakened positions, at least in my perspective.

In my position I made generous star concessions to my neighbors in order to appease them and not have early confrontations. Notably to Red, who I didn't really want to fight but I did want some of the stars he labeled as his own. My plan was to attack Yellow not Dark Red, since I had pretty feeling that he was attacking someone or being attacked, which turned out to be true. However, this quickly changed when I received a message from Dark Red suggesting that we attack White. From early conversations I figured White was going to be a valuable ally going forward so I quickly let him know and shifted to attack Dark Red. Not sure who attacked him first but at this point I contacted Elven and turns out he was planning on attacking him as well.

It went on a bit longer that I think it should have notably because I think Henriod helped him out tech wise.

After this it seemed DW (White) had gone AFK so I planned on raiding his stars in order to consolidate power which he later went into AI Admin and the plan went into action. He came back so that ended but at this point, while betraying DW didn't cross my mind, I figured Elven would be the better ally so I turned major strategic communications to him and established an early consistent tech trade. After a while I didn't really care if he sent me the money for it or DW for that matter.

Then with the alliance movement that occurred I figured Red would be the next target, didn't really think much of Yellow as a threat at this point (sorry!), so anyways everyone basically described what happened next well enough so don't really see the point.

Didn't really see DW's betrayal obviously until it was too late. Yeah I was ahead for a time but Lux final counter really hampered it and Elven over took me. At that point I didn't mind, figured it was better to just end the game and move on since didn't anticipate it would be much fun anymore. Given Elven had been a good ally and DW hadn't been that active I figured the ending positions were fair. Then betrayal occurred and I launched a half-assed effort to protect some stars. Didn't really care at this point anymore, figured everyone had betrayed me so I sent out Tech to everyone except the perpetrators!

It was fun all in all.

Not sure if I can get that motivated to play a game of NP like I did this PA game.

Reasonable Hobo on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So the way the game goes is, if you're #1, that's pretty much on a stop until you are in last place. The top player will always cycle to the bottom, and the trick is to be the last #1.

I started out with me & Mifio taking out Brown (I think blurbl) who really didn't leave anything near us defended. He posted about being unable to react to any moves, but really, if you try to react to anything, it is too late. You just have to defend and attack pre-emptively.

So while I got fat on Blurbl's old stars, Red and Lime were the next two big problems. Red sent one 100 star fleet at me, which I got to bruise a little bit, and then it ran away to deal with other problems. So I ate his stars. I'm pretty sure this was the point that I suggested to Elvenshae that attacking Imperfect/Red from the south would be a pretty ideal time. I think it came down to ReasonableHobo & I finishing off Red. When I had my fill of Red's stars, I made sure to send him my weapons tech, just to do a tiny little bit more damage to ReasonableHobo. I knew that the next step meant doing whatever subtle thing I could to whittle down his fleet.

By the time I took red territories, Lime was pretty much a team effort. So I found myself with a lot of stars and economy, and, uh-oh, the #1 spot. That means everyone was going to turn on me, particularly the alliance of #2 and #3, Elvenshae and ReasonableHobo.

See, now I'm screwed. I cannot take on both of these superpowers, even though I had more ships and vastly more handsome. It just wouldn't work, and I knew it was only a matter of time. Yeah, I had Mifio and sorta Joemunkeh on my side, but they were trailing far, far behind. Mifio was probably inactive by this time, because all he was doing was building up huge defenses at his home stars. He must have had 500 ships just sitting around doing nothing. It was kinda annoying, and I stopped sending him tech. I also had a sneaking suspicion he would cross me, but that never happened.

So! I could either wage an ineffective war against the last two superpowers or wait until they wage war on me.

Unless...

I came up with the idea to appeal to ReasonableHobo & Elvenshae's sense of greed. I told them: We should cast off our old alliances and betray them, eat their stars, and ensure that we at least get 3rd place, because we are the best and we deserve it. ReasonableHobo wasn't having it and attacked me, and Elvenshae feigned interest to build up a proper attack force. When I saw RH attacking me, I messaged Darkewolfe and told him about the deal proposition - except I made it sound like it was RH's idea. I was hoping he would take the bait and attack RH.

See, in a situation where my ships and tech can't keep up (I totally lost the endgame because I fell behind in tech [also allies fault boo blame errything on you]) all I could do was use politics to win the game. I tried to talk LordGravewish into getting out of his Switzerland position, but he was afraid. I tried to talk Elvenshae into an unlikely betrayal, and he said he would, when OBVIOUSLY he was only massing ships on MY border. So I kept trying to convince him he was making a mistake.

When Joemunkeh attacked me, well, that was just an outlet for my frustration. I made sure to give him a light pounding. Eventually, it was obvious all was lost. I could not keep up with their tech,a nd with every lost star, it became less likely. So, to make them pay, I amassed the largest fleet the game had seen with 500+, and sent it deep into the heart of Texas. I chose to take a chunk out of Reasonable Hobo because he had only 1000 ships. If I sent it at Elvenshae, who had 1200 ships, I would only reduce him to a competitive level with ReasonableHobo. So with my 500 ships, I took out 500 of RH's ships, effectively crippling his fleet size, and logged off forever.

TL;DR: *fist shake*

Lux on
  • Options
    Reasonable HoboReasonable Hobo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Lux wrote: »
    So, to make them pay, I amassed the largest fleet the game had seen with 500+, and sent it deep into the heart of Texas. I chose to take a chunk out of Reasonable Hobo because he had only 1000 ships. If I sent it at Elvenshae, who had 1200 ships, I would only reduce him to a competitive level with ReasonableHobo. So with my 500 ships, I took out 500 of RH's ships, effectively crippling his fleet size, and logged off forever.

TL;DR: *fist shake*

Yeah this really hurt me, I had pull a lot of carriers to defend that fleet, I mentioned it to my allies that I was about to get screwed.

And yeah I wasn't having any of it, wasn't going to betray my allies at this point! Elven basically told me what he was planning in order to build up or something. Didn't want you to pull anymore ships from your home stars so I launched an attack before you could properly build up, didn't really help with that massive fleet you managed to amass.

Either way, the nature of the map didn't really allow me to trust you. I had been through a lot with DW and Elven and we had just barely met without any prior communication. Probably a fault of the alliance system, I trusted it too much!

Reasonable Hobo on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    There is no such thing as a true alliance.

Unless you ally with me. Then I will never treat you badly.

Lux on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Apparently, the fleets don't actually launch until you click "ok" at the bottom of the screen. Good to discover that early!

Darian on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Darian I might make another game depending on what people ask for in it, since there's all sorts of variable settings.

Once again, an undisclosed number of players in Sombrero Galaxy have messages waiting that need reading.

As for the current game, while I don't want to say much anything I will say oh wow I'm in first place somehow. This isn't a matter of any sort of genius I think, I think everyone just expanded out enough for things to start heating up or whatever.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Apparently, the fleets don't actually launch until you click "ok" at the bottom of the screen. Good to discover that early!

No, they launch without you pressing it - the "OK" button just refreshes the game state, including updating the positions of all your fleets. It's the same as refreshing your browser or logging off and back on, just faster.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah fleets need a half-hour prep-time before they launch. So if you theoretically researched your speed to a point where you can make a light-year jump in an hour, you'd still have to wait a mandatory 30 minutes before the move commenced.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    When I saw RH attacking me, I messaged Darkewolfe and told him about the deal proposition - except I made it sound like it was RH's idea. I was hoping he would take the bait and attack RH.

The funny thing was that I sent a message to DW "from" RH and me, and told him about your plans and how we'd rejected them - just in case you decided to do this.

Bwahah. Hah hah. Bwahahah.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    When I saw RH attacking me, I messaged Darkewolfe and told him about the deal proposition - except I made it sound like it was RH's idea. I was hoping he would take the bait and attack RH.

The funny thing was that I sent a message to DW "from" RH and me, and told him about your plans and how we'd rejected them - just in case you decided to do this.

HAHAHA fuck I should've stayed to see all this.

Henroid on
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Having caught up with the thread, I see I just missed the second PA game. Anyone want to join me here and help me learn (and dominate a galaxy of noobs)? At 4/8 so far.

I'd be up for joining you if you can get me a link to join you...or I'd be willing to join a PA game. This thread today is the first I've seen of the game, so I'm a big noob, but I'd be willing to learn with you and ally to dominate....

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

See? Words are the most powerful weapon in the game.

Lux on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'd be up for joining you if you can get me a link to join you...or I'd be willing to join a PA game. This thread today is the first I've seen of the game, so I'm a big noob, but I'd be willing to learn with you and ally to dominate....

You can be in two free games at a time; we managed to get 3 PAers into my first one, but I can join with you for a second!
    http://np.ironhelmet.com/detail?game=13701238

It's at 4/8 so far; I haven't signed up for it yet, so PM me or post or something if you join it, so I'll know to pop into it. And don't join if it is already up to 7/8.

Darian on
  • Options
    PjstelfordPjstelford Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Is there any advantage to merely possessing a star, or is the only advantage in how you've built it up?

Pjstelford on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Scan range would be extended from the star, and you can use it as a staging point for increased range.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Pjstelford wrote: »
    Is there any advantage to merely possessing a star, or is the only advantage in how you've built it up?

If you're not building on it, because maybe it has 2 resources, it is pretty much only useful as a passage, a lookout post and a point towards your overall placement ranking.

Lux on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

You can be in two free games at a time; we managed to get 3 PAers into my first one, but I can join with you for a second!

It's at 4/8 so far; I haven't signed up for it yet, so PM me or post or something if you join it, so I'll know to pop into it. And don't join if it is already up to 7/8.

Game filled up before I saw this.

No worries, I'm in a game currently, so I'll just play that one out to learn whatever I can from it.

Edit: I see a Darkewolfe in my current game. Is that someone in this thread? (I know I see the name from above descriptions of a previous game)

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I didn't know the game had maintenance downtime, did anyone see that today?

Also, whoever is yellow (don't respond / identify yourself here, that wouldn't be fun) I was only joking about Algol being mine. I just like the name so much because of the PS reference I pointed out toward the start of the game. :P

Henroid on
  • Options
    Work SafeWork Safe Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So i started some free games just to get a feel for it. Does anyone have any tips for a beginner? We have opportunities to increase in industry, economy, or science, as well as various science techs. I'm assuming in the very beginning you focus on economy, while transitioning into industrial, but i'm not sure how much emphasis should go into science (since it's expensive). Also what science techs do you find the most useful early on? I'm talking about the 8-player free games, i understand things would change if you're closer or more distant

Work Safe on
  • Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Work Safe wrote: »
    So i started some free games just to get a feel for it. Does anyone have any tips for a beginner? We have opportunities to increase in industry, economy, or science, as well as various science techs. I'm assuming in the very beginning you focus on economy, while transitioning into industrial, but i'm not sure how much emphasis should go into science (since it's expensive). Also what science techs do you find the most useful early on? I'm talking about the 8-player free games, i understand things would change if you're closer or more distant

Building up enough science to be almost/completely competitive with your immediate neighbors is safest (except in the very beginning when you should focus on economy come hell or high water), and in the beginning swap tech with your more distant opponents so you can have advantages over your more immediate foes.

TheOtherHorseman on
  • Options
    Work SafeWork Safe Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Just learned that when you send a mass mailing, everyone you send to can see who else you've sent it to

Well that's worth knowing!

Work Safe on
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Glad I got a couple points in range fairly quickly, I'd have a pretty shitty set of planets if I hadn't.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Why hello there cyan.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    You guys should periodically post an image of the minimap so we can track the progress of the big game.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    That'd be impossible for me to do because it'd give away information about fleet position and where my economic / science / industry is. Unleeeeessssssss...

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Okay I'm not worried about my scanning range being visible since you can see that by clicking on someone's star. And I figure it should be me posting screens since everyone else is under anonymous names and I wasn't able to pick my alias when making the game.

np20101107.jpg

Edit - The entire galaxy is shown from left to right, but top to bottom there's some stars unseen in the screenshot. They pretty much belong to white and cyan, respectively. White, cyan, and yellow are more or less the big powers in this game (not just from star count, but all their statistics shown in game).

Edit Edit - Christ, I'm almost literally the center of this galaxy. O_o

Henroid on
  • Options
    LordGravewishLordGravewish Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    Christ, I'm almost literally the center of this galaxy. O_o

Yeah, you got a tough starting position. Someone just has to get a couple of "friends" to attack you and you'll be gone in a couple hours *cough*Anyone interested?*cough*
    That'd be awful!
    Seems like my starting position last game :P At least you don't have blurbl attacking you...

LordGravewish on
    Without me, it's just aweso.
    Xfire: lordgravewish
    Steam: LordGravewish
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It's better than my starting position in the previous PA-private game. Where I had like 10 stars in my reach, and then to get anywhere else I'd have to research range. :?

If anything this position I'm in now means whoever my long-term ally is / allies are, I'm automatically the front line of our efforts.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Game filled up before I saw this.

No worries, I'm in a game currently, so I'll just play that one out to learn whatever I can from it.

Edit: I see a Darkewolfe in my current game. Is that someone in this thread? (I know I see the name from above descriptions of a previous game)

If that's me then you're in Darian's game.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

If that's me then you're in Darian's game.

Upsilon Rukh.

Is that the game you're in? If that's you...you're dominating the star takeover so far.

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    http://np.ironhelmet.com/gamestats?game=13782200

Yup, that's us. And he's gone on a tear to start, though he's bumping into both purple and dark blue now.

Darian on
  • Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Yup, that's us. And he's gone on a tear to start, though he's bumping into both purple and dark blue now.

WHAT

WHAT IS THIS

WHAT ARE THESE

TheOtherHorseman on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

WHAT

WHAT IS THIS

WHAT ARE THESE

If you click on a player, there is a button under their stats that says "View Last 7 Days" which leads to the graphs. It's fun to see lines go down after big fights/takeovers.

Lux on