As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm a [CHAT]man (Ski Ba Bop Ba Dop Bop)

ChromatomicChromatomic Mr.DCRegistered User regular
edited July 2010 in Artist's Corner
Now you're singing it.

Sorry.

Chromatomic on

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    how can you not post the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Geiq0FP13uQ

Tam on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    So Last Airbender is getting panned for shitting up everything with a ton of exposition?

I've only seen the first DVD of the first season of the show, but isn't the whole plot basically:
    4 nations, each one having dudes that have a magic to manipulate a certain element
    Air nation gets wiped out, but there's one dude who can do air magic left
    Also there once was a guy that could do all 4 types of magic and the one air magic guy is probably that guy
    Fire nation is evil or some shit
    Magic fights and some bullshit about friendship or something

I mean I know that's not the whole story, about that's really all the exposition you need to put together an alright movie for what I assume (before the movie came out and, presumably, bombed hard) was to be the first in a series of films. The reviews make it sound like he tried to make a 90-minute adaption of The Silmarillion.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    He didn't bring the religion back, the book was just shelved in a museum, in a world where nobody could even read except for the intelligent bookworms who knew better.

They're fine.

Did you miss the whole part about the museum guy saying "we're collecting all this shit so we can rebuild the world with it"?

So Last Airbender is getting panned for shitting up everything with a ton of exposition?

I've only seen the first DVD of the first season of the show, but isn't the whole plot basically:
    4 nations, each one having dudes that have a magic to manipulate a certain element
    Also there once was a guy that could do all 4 types of magic and the one air magic guy is probably that guy

I mean I know that's not the whole story, about that's really all the exposition you need to put together an alright movie for what I assume (before the movie came out and, presumably, bombed hard) was to be the first in a series of films. The reviews make it sound like he tried to make a 90-minute adaption of The Silmarillion.

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. I loved the Avatar cartoon because it had a really simple and robust universe. Stuff made sense without much explaining. Apparently Shammy managed to fuck up that aspect of it, which was, IMO the best aspect of it (because it certainly wasnt the "zomg, friendship conquers all".)

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    New name:

M. Night Silmarillion

Tam on
  • Options
    ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

No more talking until you watch more Avatar.

Paradise on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Paradise wrote: »

Nah, 3d blue people probably won't be as impressive on my little standard def TV.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Actually yeah, there's no reason for a whole heaping load of exposition.

edit: while Bacon's tone sounds a bit dismissive, that is factually a good preface to the series (except for the probably part- everyone and their mom knows he's the avatar, or at least that the avatar is a young airbender, and since there ain't many of those around)

Tam on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Paradise wrote: »

Nah, 3d blue people probably won't be as impressive on my little standard def TV.

Ho ho. If you have the service, Netflix has instant streaming for all three seasons.

It's a really good show.

Paradise on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I remember first watching the series. For the first episodes, I kind of just didn't get over the fact that they made a kids' show where genocide is a key plot point.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Tam wrote: »
    edit: while Bacon's tone sounds a bit dismissive, that is factually a good preface to the series (except for the probably part- everyone and their mom knows he's the avatar, or at least that the avatar is a young airbender, and since there ain't many of those around)

It's not like I intended my bullet point summary to be presented as-is as the film's Star Wars-style story crawl, I'm just saying when it comes to basic exposition you can probably get it done in less than 5 minutes, like Lord of the Rings.

Lord of the Rings was:
    Evil motherfucker Sauron wants to take over the world and makes an evil ring to help him take over the world.
    A long time ago a bunch of dudes and elves fought Sauron and Sauron lost and the ring got knocked off but the ring was still evil and some dude took it and started to go evil and then it was LOST but now it was FOUND and FUCK SAURON IS COMING BACK AND A MIDGET PERSON HAS THE RING WHAT HAPPENS NOW OH SHIT.

They got all that done right quick.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I hadn't thought of it in exactly that way haha (while totally true)... but I definitely thought it was a pretty grownup plot for a kids show.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    From what reviews are saying, the film gets crippled by focusing too hard on a young audience (ie, 10 and under), which I always figured was Avatar's one major flaw.
    I mean, it was made on Nick for kids, but it sortof missed that audience completely. Theyd rather watch yugioh or bakumon or whatver other shovelware with attached toys come around. But the series hit pretty big with older demographics. Hell, season 4 almost got canned because of poor (kid) ratings.

More blood bending and organ-rupturing air bending would have been awesome. Avatar could have been so much awesome if they essentially uncensored it (not that that could have happened, being a nick show, so i guess its good we got it at all).

Also, fire bending sucks balls (that's probably why they tried to conquer the world). Maybe someone should tell them about how fire actually works. Radiant heat and oxygen consumption and all that.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Tam wrote: »

It's not like I intended my bullet point summary to be presented as-is as the film's Star Wars-style story crawl, I'm just saying when it comes to basic exposition you can probably get it done in less than 5 minutes, like Lord of the Rings.

Lord of the Rings was:
    Evil motherfucker Sauron wants to take over the world and makes an evil ring to help him take over the world.
    A long time ago a bunch of dudes and elves fought Sauron and Sauron lost and the ring got knocked off but the ring was still evil and some dude took it and started to go evil and then it was LOST but now it was FOUND and FUCK SAURON IS COMING BACK AND A MIDGET PERSON HAS THE RING WHAT HAPPENS NOW OH SHIT.

They got all that done right quick.

Man, I didn't mean a literal preface to the movie
    I intended "while it sounds like Bacon is going 'eh', that is factually a good introduction to the series and they could have done that without a whole load of exposition"

Tam on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I dunno, i'm kind of waiting for the creators of that series to come up with something that's going to blow Avatar/airbender/whatever out of the water.

It's too simple of a concept. Feels like a warm-up that was designed to bust open the flood gates to better things, like a snack before the feast.

That and the fact that a lot of the fans can get rabid when it comes to talking about it. It's kind of scary.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well shit, they tell you all you need to know about avatar in the 30 second intro of the show.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I hadn't thought of it in exactly that way haha (while totally true)... but I definitely thought it was a pretty grownup plot for a kids show.

for a second, I was like "oh damn, this is heavy, they're killing a lot of- holy fuck they wiped them out. They slaughtered Air Nomads to functional extinction!"

Tam on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    McGibs wrote: »
    Yoshiaki Kawajiri's The Last Airbender

I'm not even that much of a fan of the show, but filling it wall to wall with gore doesn't necessarily sound like a huge improvement to me.

EDIT: Now that I think of it, if I tried pitching the superviolent version of Avatar to a network, the best I could come up with would be, "Fist of the North Star with Captain Planet powers!"

I don't think that would go very far.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just browsing through the World Press Photo winners and came across this.

551663-world-press-photo-2010.jpg

You can just tell that bird is up to no good.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well shit, they tell you all you need to know about avatar in the 30 second intro of the show.

This is more of a preference thing really. I tend to like series that build everything from the ground up rather than rely on pre-existing notions.

Avatar is one of those fantasy properties that are grounded in reality a bit; sure you can bend elements, but the rest of the world's just a mirror of our own, only set in a different time period.

For me that's a little underwhelming. Why not just go all out and make these lavishly exotic locales with some crazy ecosystem of sorts? Those are always more fun to watch unfold.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Godfather wrote: »

This is more of a preference thing really. I tend to like series that build everything from the ground up rather than rely on pre-existing notions.

Avatar is one of those fantasy properties that are grounded in reality a bit; sure you can bend elements, but the rest of the world's just a mirror of our own, only set in a different time period.

For me that's a little underwhelming. Why not just go all out and make these lavishly exotic locales with some crazy ecosystem of sorts? Those are always more fun to watch unfold.

So what you're saying is that Avatar* (the show) should be less like Avatar¤ , and more like Avatarɸ.

* the show
    ¤ the show
    ɸ the movie, but not the movie based on the show

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Not really, no.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Avatar (the movie (not the other movie) isn't a movie all about lavishly exotic locales with some crazy ecosystem of sorts? I'm pretty sure it was.

That and cripples having sex with giant blue cat people, but I wasn't suggesting that would be an appropriate addition to a Nickelodeon cartoon.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I was thinking more along the lines of One Piece, but sure, whatever works for you.

Godfather on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    Except One Piece isn't nearly as compelling an idea as Avatar is. I think the fact Avatar taps into ancient Chinese influence, but is clearly set in an alternate history/world, is what makes it so appealing.

Shame about the movie, but I didn't really expect anything else.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    Nineteen HundredNineteen Hundred Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, me neither. With M. (K?)Night Shilelagh involved, it's hard to get your hopes up.

So, hey, I finally booted up my 2-year-old copy of Oblivion, and I was actually really getting into it. Then, I figured out how to make a knife that can literally drop everything in 2-3 hits, and now it's boring again. They really didn't think that part of the game through, did they?

Nineteen Hundred on
    There was something important here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Except One Piece isn't nearly as compelling an idea as Avatar is. I think the fact Avatar taps into ancient Chinese influence, but is clearly set in an alternate history/world, is what makes it so appealing.

I would actually say the opposite is true, but i'm not really in the mood to debate this. You can't really call judgement on that until you've read Water Seven or that massive fucking war, but that's asking a lot.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah but I'm coming at this from someone who is doing nearly the same damn thing with my own project as the Avatar creators did when crafting their world.

I'm all for world building, I think it's great--one of my favorite things to do. But it really comes down to what the story calls for, not just building bigger and badder locations for the sake of it.

• Options
    edited July 2010
    My personal project is more along the opposite route, so i'm probably going to disagree with you on every account.

Just throwing that out there for the record to save us a lot of time.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    You wanna talk about the weather instead?

• Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's reasonably warm here in the UK today.

I approve of this.

Grenn on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I didn't mean you, Grenn. God.

• Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm trying to help here! People talking about films is basically the most boringest thing ever, I'm trying to pull you out of that quagmire! Jeez... :x

Grenn on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Ok, fine!

Grenn, I have a secret, but you can't tell anyone yet cos it hasn't been officially announced.
    I get to pitch my cartoon to Cartoon Network!

But keep that under your hat for now, kay?

• Options
    edited July 2010
    Your secret is safe with me, sir.
    That's awesome dude :!::!: - best of luck & knock 'em dead!

Grenn on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ok, fine!

Grenn, I have a secret, but you can't tell anyone yet cos it hasn't been officially announced.
    I get to pitch my cartoon to Cartoon Network!

But keep that under your hat for now, kay?

GASP!!! Wow! Congratulations Mars!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Goddammit, Grenn! You told MT?!
    Thanks, guys! I've been holding this in for damn near a week now! I'm pretty certain the announcement drops tomorrow, but basically Monkey & Robot won the Pitch Party grand prize this year so my partner and I get a chance to pitch to CN!

I had a really good meeting with my adviser/exec. producer today and I'm feeling pretty positive about the prospect.

• Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Godfather wrote: »

I would actually say the opposite is true, but i'm not really in the mood to debate this. You can't really call judgement on that until you've read Water Seven or that massive fucking war, but that's asking a lot.

Yes, but you get angry at people for even disliking the Sixth Sense so whatevs, pal

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Goddammit, Grenn! You told MT?!
    Thanks, guys! I've been holding this in for damn near a week now! I'm pretty certain the announcement drops tomorrow, but basically Monkey & Robot won the Pitch Party grand prize this year so my partner and I get a chance to pitch to CN!

I had a really good meeting with my adviser/exec. producer today and I'm feeling pretty positive about the prospect.

That's fantastic! Good luck, Mars; be charismatic and enthusiastic about your show during the pitch. They love to see that.

Paradise on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I heard there was a new chat thread and came as quickly as I could to stake a claim.

Then I realized it's not a mineral deposit.

Also, I got to name kittens.

MKR on
This discussion has been closed.