As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Guns: Transferring Licenses & Such

HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
My grandparents died a few weeks ago and I'm helping my mom clean out their house. I came across three guns today- a .38 police special, a .30 cal carbine, and a .22 cal Colt Woodsman. The two handguns look like they're in good shape but the carbine was covered in dust. I found rounds for all three guns as well. The Colt is a Series One, made between 1915 & 1947, and the two others were probably purchased in the 60's or 70's. Not sure about the ammunition. I'm going to take them to a gun store to make sure they all work before I fire them but I'm wondering two things:

1) Is it safe to use the ammunition given how old it may be? Not sure how old the .22 rounds are but the .38 and .30 boxes were pretty aged looking.
2) Where can I find out about gun transfer laws and what I need to do to get them licensed in my name? We haven't come across my grandfather's licenses yet but I'm sure they're here somewhere. The guns are in VA and I'd be looking to get them licensed in PA.

HeraldS on

• Options
    erraticrabbiterraticrabbit Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've used some 50 year old rounds in a .30 carbine. Most of them worked too. I didn't die. just make sure to discard any that may have rust on the casing, or are otherwise obviously damaged. It should be fine, though there are probably lots of duds in there depending on humidity on the storage.

erraticrabbit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheAngryDealerTheAngryDealer Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've shot some of my dad's 30 year old .22 rounds before. they all fired but would occasionally jam and I'd have to manually get the cartridge out, but nothing major. Not sure about registering it, in Texas we don't have to do anything like that. I'd call your local police station and ask about transporting and what you would need to have to show ownership.

TheAngryDealer on