As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[LET'S PLAY] VVVVVV! Hmm? What's this? New levels?

• Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The final challenge.

Hoooooooooooooooooooow. D:

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »
    The final challenge.

Hoooooooooooooooooooow. D:

Are you howling at the top of your lungs?

I'd try that.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I just went from starting this game yesterday for the first time to Doing Things The Hard Way--and I did it!!! YESSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tell me it doesn't get any harder than that? Please?

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I honestly didn't have too much trouble with the final challenge.

Maybe 20 tries max.

And Xeno, that's widely considered the hardest part of the game, either the main missions or the trinkets.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Then I feel quite proud that I accomplished it in maybe 300-400 deaths and an hour and half of maddening, torturous frustration. I swear this monitor has some serious lag to it, too--it's a PVA panel SyncMaster 213T from like six years ago.

EDIT: Purest Unobtainium is mine! And I just kind of found it on a lark. Something told me that I could fit through that tiny space, so I went with it. I frigging love this game.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm very happy to say I've finished the game and collected all of the trinkets. So many deaths...so much fun...and frustration.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    omg Edge Games is killing me. Fucking killing me.

Do you have to get all the shinies before you save the last crew member? Or can I run around after that and get them all?

Drake on
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You can get them after you complete the game.

Shimshai on
    Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Sweet. Thanks ShimShai.

I decided to put Edge Games off for a while. It's probably my first real stumper in this game. I think I see what I need to do, but timing it and pulling it off is really tight and apparently my fingers are made of sausage links right now. I mean, I had no where near this trouble with Do As I Say/Not as I do. So I went off to do other things, got into that warp and now I think I'm on to something else.

Wee! I <3 this game.

I hope the fabled 2.0 version comes out one day. I'd love to see what happens when a level editor is given to the nets at large.

Drake on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh man, yes. I'd love it if kayin or Team Meat returned the favor and designed a series of levels.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    just reached doing it the hard way for the first time. Interesting.

Fuck. D:

Big Classy on
  • Options
    ZedarZedar Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Has this been posted yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IrlCunGL3U

The end is so tragic, I can only imagine how strong his rage must have been.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Oh man.. That's painful.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Holy christ. Poor guy.

Arrath on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Alright, so the sincere stuff is out of the way now. C'mon, tell the truth..... How many of you laughed at first?

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I certainly laughed. Man..
    the very last square killed him! :D

When I saw the video title I didn't think it would be that close to beating the gravitron.

Shimshai on

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    atat23atat23 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Alright, so the sincere stuff is out of the way now. C'mon, tell the truth..... How many of you laughed at first?

nah, I my response was more of an aw! just because i hate the gravitron it always messes me up, I can barely survive for 10 seconds at a time
    then when I saw the super graviton, I tried it once and then said fuck it, not touching that again

atat23 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I was playing this the other night and it hit me. The most diabolical thing in VVVVVV. The backgrounds.

I was playing a level and wondering why I was having some issues with a simply timed flip. I flipped to my doom a few more times than I should have. I sat back and looked at the level. Almost all of them have these hypnotic, subtle backgrounds pulsing away. Evil pulsing rhythmatic subliminal distractions.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Drake wrote: »
    I was playing this the other night and it hit me. The most diabolical thing in VVVVVV. The backgrounds.

I was playing a level and wondering why I was having some issues with a simply timed flip. I flipped to my doom a few more times than I should have. I sat back and looked at the level. Almost all of them have these hypnotic, subtle backgrounds pulsing away. Evil pulsing rhythmatic subliminal distractions.

Haha, my partner watched me playing this for a bit and couldn't follow what was going on at all. I had to explain that the rapidly moving background wasn't actually part of the game.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »

I haven't stopped.

facetious on
    Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    MizuumiMizuumi pet dog you've been eating my video game how could you eat my video gameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    having been spoiled by the titel/this thread, i was filled with sheer dread the moment that flip-line extended across the screen

i actually cringed when it happened

so i suppose it's safe to assume no one has ever completed no deaths mode?

Mizuumi on
    ducklett.gif
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Mizuumi wrote: »
    having been spoiled by the titel/this thread, i was filled with sheer dread the moment that flip-line extended across the screen

i actually cringed when it happened

so i suppose it's safe to assume no one has ever completed no deaths mode?

someone's completed a no-deaths IWBTG run, so yeah i'd assume someone has no deathed VVVVVV

Rent on
  • Options
    MizuumiMizuumi pet dog you've been eating my video game how could you eat my video gameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    you act like IWBTG is a hard game or something

(really though, with no-deaths on games like IWBTG, SMB, VVVVVV and so forth, i figure it's usually safest to assume it hasn't been done until proven otherwise)

Mizuumi on
    ducklett.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I haven't and I don't think less of myself for it

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    i'm going for a <250 deaths run with no shinies during my free time in drafting class

8-)

Mizuumi on
    ducklett.gif
  • Options
    Lenore03Lenore03 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    "M for Murder" made me quit the game. I'm fine with spending hours trying to get "Doing things the hard way." but not this.

Lenore03 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    What room is that?

facetious on
    Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    edited December 2010
    facetious wrote: »
    What room is that?

endgame version of Kids His Age Bounce

same thing but with 5 bubbles
    not really that hard :y

Mizuumi on
    ducklett.gif
  • Options
    Lenore03Lenore03 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Doing things the Hard Way get rather easy after about a million attempts. Go figure.

Welp, 20 trinkets down.

Lenore03 on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Lenore03 wrote: »
    Doing things the Hard Way get rather easy after about a million attempts. Go figure.

Welp, 20 trinkets down.

Congrats. After practicing last night I managed to make it all the way back to Veni. That was the best I could do after 2 hours of nothing but that GD room straight.

I CAN'T STOP TRYING, WTF IS WRONG WITH ME???

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Mizuumi on
    ducklett.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Somehow, once I got back to Veni I made it all the way. Didn't die in Veni on the return trip once. Made me happy. :D

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    The very first time I made it all the to the top and back of V V V, I actually landed on that little square block that seperates man from trinket..

I was so closing to ballsing it up. :shock:

Shimshai on

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CraigopogoCraigopogo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I died on the very last spike coming down on the right on Doing Things the Hard Way the other day. I was... unhappy.

Craigopogo on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Everybody always complains about Veni Vedi Vici, but even though it's tough everyone pushes through it and prevails. It's one of the best parts of the game and you can't forget about it, for a certainty.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Oh I'm certainly not complaining about it, merely discussing it. It definitely is a major talking point though. Expecially for newbies, it's like you thought that was bad wait until you see V. V. V.!

I wonder how well I'd do at this game having just played a hell of a lot of Super Meat Boy...

Shimshai on

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Shimshai wrote: »
    The very first time I made it all the to the top and back of V V V, I actually landed on that little square block that seperates man from trinket..

I was so closing to ballsing it up. :shock:

Once I started learning the pattern enough that I was frequently getting to the top, I basically started a mantra in my head: "stay to the right, stay to the right, stay to the right" just for fear of that happening to me.

Also all this discussion is making me want to go back and do it again, just because.

facetious on
    Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    edited December 2010
    Where is Veni Vidi Vici? I haven't even actually managed to find it so far in my quest for all the shinies. I remember seeing it in the Lets Play videos, but can't be bothered hunting through to find it again.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I'm fairly sure this is where it is:

Spoiler: This shows the entire world map. Please don't press it if you haven't completed the game, for your own sake!
    worldmapma.jpg

Edit: That red dot leads to the fun!

Shimshai on

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Everybody always complains about Veni Vedi Vici, but even though it's tough everyone pushes through it and prevails. It's one of the best parts of the game and you can't forget about it, for a certainty.

That's true, hence my sig these days.

Anyway, finished the game last night with 1723 deaths. YAY BAD REFLEXES! 8-)

EDIT: Oh and I just noticed the Summary of Swears on the OP. I approve. This is what makes your LP good.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)