As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Airbending Avatar] Info on the new series, at last!

• ElitistbElitistb Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Azula would also be 80+ years old. Potentially a threat, but probably not a physical one. She's no Bumi.

Elitistb on
    steam_sig.png
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Elitistb wrote: »
    Azula would also be 80+ years old. Potentially a threat, but probably not a physical one. She's no Bumi.

Azula + steampunk power armor + life support systems = awesome?

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    HamHamJ wrote: »

Azula + steampunk power armor + life support systems = awesome?

This is why people hate steam punk as a rule

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lanz wrote: »
    Dunno dude, how anime-y is it? Avatar was about at my limit on that front. Enjoyed it immensely, but if it had more of that anime-feel I doubt that I would have liked it as much

e: oh fuck I forgot, need to watch Samurai Jack. Been meaning to do that for a really long time

Moribito:
    I'd say about as anime-y as Ghost in the Shell: SAC, I think it was adapted by the same team at Production I.G.

Serious, Asian-styled fantasy about a bodyguard protecting a child-prince marked for death for carrying a water spirit within him.

Serei no Moribito is produced by Production I.G, which specializes in serious, gorgeous-looking series with many physical beat-downs in them.

Synthesis on
  • ElitistbElitistb Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Why would people hate steam punk? It is a narrative device to do whatever you want to with. How is it any worse than any other magic/supersciencethatisindistinguishablefrommagic?

Elitistb on
    steam_sig.png
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Why would people hate steam punk? It is a narrative device to do whatever you want to with. How is it any worse than any other magic/supersciencethatisindistinguishablefrommagic?

90% of the time the staff/fan goes overboard with it. As a design choice or a way to indicate the period of time it's based on I'm fine with it.

The avatar world is just into it's industrial revolution They wouldn't have mech suits hell they don't have firearms yet.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    Toph's metalbending has already given us the first mech suits.

Also: is there a name for the planet the series takes place on?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Azula at 80 most likely looks like her aunts.

Remember how they looked so young and beautiful in the beach episode flashback?

Oh and wouldn't it be interesting if the ex firelord still without bending due to what Aang did, was the cause of the anti bending movement, he's bound to still have some supporters and if he can't be the bad ass bender of them all then why not swing the other way in secret. Could be his way of revenge if he got free eventually.

Cade on
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I.... I'm sorry. I couldn't stop them.

My friends are going to watch the movie tonight. D:

Wearingglasses on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    burn their stuff

Raneados on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I thought Azula got hotter as she got crazier. Maybe if she went totally off the deepend she'd be a super hot 80-year-old.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Zuko put her into a mental ward to help get her better and was suppose to have visited her every so often in an attempt to reach out to her, how successful that was, who can say.

Cade on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i refuse to believe azula didn't end up burning the place to the fucking ground

Raneados on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Raneados wrote: »
    i refuse to believe azula didn't end up burning the place to the fucking ground

Walked away in slow motion as the thing burned, on a quest to find her mother.

Fencingsax on
  • QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I guess it depends on how broadly we're defining "steampunk" (does it just mean Industrial Revolution-level tech?).

But if it's referring to the specific aesthetic of Victorian-era England, with lots of unnecessary brown-colored clocks and gears on everything—my problem is that this aesthetic has already been done to death and I'd rather see something new.

Qingu on
    edited July 2010
    we had this discussion in SE, I don't think the technology in avatar is really steampunk, but because of how nebulously steampunk is defined, I guess it can be thought of that way

but i think of steam punk as more clocks and tophats and yeah the victorian style, not the type of machines that avatar had

i invented a new term and everything!

feudal industrialism

Raneados on
    edited July 2010
    The Earth Kingdom was totally stonepunk.

Qingu on
  • SkannerJATSkannerJAT Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just finished Book Two. The abilities of the characters is getting pretty nuts, but in an enjoyable way. Are we still spoilering stuff? I know there are people stil on their first run through so I will be safe.
    I know Zuko teams up with Team Avatar at one point so when he actually teamed up with Azula I was genuinely surprised. It was also fun to see Iroh be somewhat of a serious badass. "Do you know why they call me the Dragon of the West?" Was a good bit.

The moment Katara was about to use the spirit water to fix Zukos scar? Was a great scene.

Oh man, Appas little walk about was pretty emotional. Especially with Momo looking for him.

Anyhow, great series. Looking forward to Book Three.

SkannerJAT on
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Qingu wrote: »
    I guess it depends on how broadly we're defining "steampunk" (does it just mean Industrial Revolution-level tech?).

But if it's referring to the specific aesthetic of Victorian-era England, with lots of unnecessary brown-colored clocks and gears on everything—my problem is that this aesthetic has already been done to death and I'd rather see something new.

Where, precisely? I know nerds won't shut up about it, but I can't think of a single major steampunk setting in mainstream society. Am I just watching the wrong things here or what?

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    That's just a really weird thing to say. I don't just universally love or hate anime: it's hard to just have one straight opinion on an entire culture's style of animation. It's possible to just have a seething hatred or manic love for it, but that seems unlikely.

Less so than you might think. There are tropes and gags that characterize anime more than any such thing characterize, say, "movies" and if said tropes and gags annoy the hell out of you...One Piece is stuffed to the brim with anime-ness. Make sense?

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010

90% of the time the staff/fan goes overboard with it. As a design choice or a way to indicate the period of time it's based on I'm fine with it.

The avatar world is just into it's industrial revolution They wouldn't have mech suits hell they don't have firearms yet.

Why would they need firearms for steam?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Are we done with throwing around weird story ideas for Legend of Korra or can I join in?

I think it'd be fun it it's alluded to that Azula was Korra's firebending teacher and everytime someone talks to her about her firebending training she gets a petrified expression on her face and refuses to talk about it.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    One Piece looks like it has...fuck...what do they call them? "Anime moments?" Avatar had them and they were fucking embarrassing to watch, but they were short and seldom. One Piece looks like I would drown in them, but it seems harsh to prejudge like that. And I'm REALLY hesitant to jump on those longass series that have 200 episodes here and one thousand more in Japan. The ones I like tend to be short.

Yeah I'm pretty much exactly like you, in that the Avatar anime moments kind of put me off a bit. I watched the first episode of One Piece and felt a physical reaction against it. Seeing as we probably have similar tastes on that front, I would just say its not for you.

One Piece isn't all that great at the beginning (it started so long ago that the lower standards are quite evident, and even then it was somewhat mediocre). One of the main reasons Naruto and Bleach are so much more popular is that they started out really strong and faded while One piece started out okay and increased in quality rapidly and consistently since then.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    All I can say is there better be a scene with Korra controlling an entire group of people via bloodbending.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited July 2010
    you guys sure do have the worst ideas ever!

Raneados on
    edited July 2010
    All I can say is there better be a scene with Korra controlling an entire group of people via bloodbending.

Katara is going to take the secret of that skill with her to the grave.
    Raneados wrote: »
    you guys sure do have the worst ideas ever!

Hey, I like my ideas.

Pureauthor on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    SkannerJAT wrote: »
    Just finished Book Two. The abilities of the characters is getting pretty nuts, but in an enjoyable way. Are we still spoilering stuff? I know there are people stil on their first run through so I will be safe.
    I know Zuko teams up with Team Avatar at one point so when he actually teamed up with Azula I was genuinely surprised. It was also fun to see Iroh be somewhat of a serious badass. "Do you know why they call me the Dragon of the West?" Was a good bit.

The moment Katara was about to use the spirit water to fix Zukos scar? Was a great scene.

Oh man, Appas little walk about was pretty emotional. Especially with Momo looking for him.

Anyhow, great series. Looking forward to Book Three.

The showdown in the end of book 2 was the best tho

so much going on

nexuscrawler on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I like the part where team Avatar storms the palace at Ba Sing Se, casually tossing huge chunks of each element and throwing around guards as if they were rag dolls.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I like the part where team Avatar storms the palace at Ba Sing Se, casually tossing huge chunks of each element and throwing around guards as if they were rag dolls.

That is one of the best action sequences in the whole series. In the commentary for that episode they said they had another huge fight planned for inside the palace but decided to give their animators a break.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, that scene really showed off how well the animators and choreographers did with concern to the character movements and the elements unleashed. When Toph is just walking up to the palace and blocking stones, her movements were perfectly subtle.

Edit: Oh, and Katara pretty much holding her own against Azula was sick.

SkannerJAT on
    edited July 2010
    wirehead26 wrote: »

That is one of the best action sequences in the whole series. In the commentary for that episode they said they had another huge fight planned for inside the palace but decided to give their animators a break.
    I didn't like it.

The main characters seemed way overpowered. The hundreds of elite guards around the most important place in the Earth Kingdom should be able to beat four kids, one of whom's a muggle.

It was especially incongruent since they just got done barely holding off the Dai Li for like four episodes.

A more believable sequence would simply have them air-dropping directly onto the palace while taking a defensive posture, since the Earthbenders wouldn't know how to deal with an air attack.

Qingu on
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

The Earth King's response when they finally get to him is priceless.

Kilroy on
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Who says they're elite guards? If I were Long Feng, I'd make sure all the truly talanted Benders were in the Dai Li, where I could control them.

RMS Oceanic on
    edited July 2010
    I didn't like it.

The main characters seemed way overpowered. The hundreds of elite guards around the most important place in the Earth Kingdom should be able to beat four kids, one of whom's a muggle.

It was especially incongruent since they just got done barely holding off the Dai Li for like four episodes.

A more believable sequence would simply have them air-dropping directly onto the palace while taking a defensive posture, since the Earthbenders wouldn't know how to deal with an air attack.

The main charactes are overpowered. Two of them are nightmare genius benders with near-vertical learning curves, and another's the single strongest bender in the world. And the muggle barely did anything anyway.

In no sequence after Book 1 do I recall any of the bender characters having trouble dealing with mooks. In Book 2 Episode 1 Aang was evading an entire fort of soldiers without ever once striking back, and he did it fine. That particular scene isn't standout at all.

Also, that the Dai Li are better fighters than the palace guards should come as absolutely no surprise - Long Feng is the real power in Ba Sing Se and he'd make sure the best soldiers were loyal only to him. (Not to mention that all the other truly great soldiers would be out there fighting the war.)

Pureauthor on
    edited July 2010
    The power levels seem to fluctuate but I attest that to more the situation and the intent of the characters then anything else.

Like when they handcuff the group in front of the Earth King Aang straight lets himself out of them to wave at the guy.

SkannerJAT on
    edited July 2010
    But the Dai Li didn't want them to get inside the palace. They wouldn't have mounted a token defense.

I guess in general I have a problem with "four guys totally take down like a hundred dudes" action scenes. Even if it's visually appealing, it always reminds me of how one ninja is a formidable foe but 100 ninjas always end up jump-kicking each other in mid-air as the main character ducks under them.

Qingu on
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    But the Dai Li didn't want them to get inside the palace. They wouldn't have mounted a token defense.

The Dai Li were still at Lake Laogai looking for the Avatar. It could be Long Feng didn't anticipate they'd go directly to the Earth King, and Appa is faster than your average Earthbender.

RMS Oceanic on
    edited July 2010
    Kilroy wrote: »

The Earth King's response when they finally get to him is priceless.

It was a very fancy door.

Pureauthor on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I guess in general I have a problem with "four guys totally take down like a hundred dudes" action scenes. Even if it's visually appealing, it always reminds me of how one ninja is a formidable foe but 100 ninjas always end up jump-kicking each other in mid-air as the main character ducks under them.

Didn't Romance of the Three Kingdoms start that notion? Asians dig that shit and Avatar is Asian-ish so we can't complain. Heh, I do remember the fight scene in the movie Hero where the two unstoppable rebels were storming the palace and leaving a tidy straight trail of dead guards in the wake of their carnage. In contrast, Stephen Chow tossed his hatchet-wielding foes in all directions in Kung-Fu Hustle.

emnmnme on
    edited July 2010
    Didn't Romance of the Three Kingdoms start that notion?

Three different RotK heroes successfully scared the piss out of their enemies after they had died.

That's haredcore.

Pureauthor on
This discussion has been closed.