As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Paradox Interactive] Divine Wind finally on Steam, NEW HoI3 expansion announced

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Your reputation probably sucks. That's probably the biggest newbie thing. Take lots and lots and lots of land. Oh no my reputation sucks and now everyone hates me.

The best way to conquer land is once you have a decent sized area of your own is to vassalize your target and give up your claims. You can expand much faster and keep an honorable reputation that way. And then you end up with 20 crowns and 70% of Europe and get the Realm Duress modifier randomly and hooooo boy do things get messy.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm playing as the Duke of Wales and HOLY SHIT BASTARDS EVERYWHERE!
    That guy was prolific!

And they even think they are people. Damn them to hell.

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ferrus wrote: »
    And they even think they are people.

Instead of what? man-sheep hybrids?

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Its weird, I never press anybody for vassalage, and generally, if somebody wants to leave peacefully I let them. I often find that they return to me after a year or so.

One thing that has worked out pretty well for me is to not get into wars that my vassals start. Often they'll take a province for you themselves, and I haven't necessarily seen them take a loyalty hit. If I have no badboy points, or if its a country I was planning on attacking in the first place, I'll side with them. It seems like they win 75% of the wars they start with only themselves and their allies, so hey free territory with no badboy hit.

Lowlander on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is Victoria 2 going to link EU 3 and Hearts of Iron 3?

I never used the feature with the previous set of games, as I only have Hearts of Iron 2, but it sounded really cool.

Yes, from one preview I read.

It is supposed to convert from EU3 to HOI3. Also, there are rumors that a CK2 is being worked on, especially since they are going nuts in Paradox's CK Facebook group for several weeks now. I bet that will link to EU3.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I have added a new province to my kingdom, but the game did not allow me to Annex Wuttermburg, so I did not get their capital. In any event, I also managed to secure an alliance with Austria.

I've got enough good provinces to be financially secure now, though my force limit is still too low to take on 3+ mini provinces at a time, as they come from every side and I don't have the manpower to reinforce for long. I actually thought about taking on Austria, as an event gave me cores on a few of their provinces, but it turns out they have double my forcelimit, and powerful allies. I could probably take them on alone, as they only border me on two sides, but AI factions have a nasty habit of allowing military access to each other.

I'm hoping that opportunities arise for further expansion with France messing with western provinces. Currently Austria is the only larger German state. My mission is to steal land from the Palatinate, my old foes, but they have a nasty set of alliances.

I think I'm getting the hang of the game, so it might be time to try my luck with the Ming Empire again.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I like the idea of these games, but I've never had the patience to actually play one to completion :P.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I sent my only Heir off to foster with the Templars. Uh, now he is the Grandmaster at the age of 12. WTF?

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have added a new province to my kingdom, but the game did not allow me to Annex Wuttermburg, so I did not get their capital. In any event, I also managed to secure an alliance with Austria.

For your future reference, you can't annex capitals unless it has no land based connection to any other province owned by them or it is the only province they own.

As for me, I just had a huge breakthrough in my Knights of St. John game, the worst starting position posible. You start with only Rhodes, which has a low population, is Orthodox (while you're Catholic), and produces cheap ass fish. I was biding my time after getting Crete and Cyprus (which probably took 50 years), when suddenly I see all of the Ottoman Empire's ports being blockaded. The Ottomans, who held all of Greece and Asia Minor, had a crusade called against them because they had taken Judea, and the big three - England, France, and Spain - all declared war against them.

It was amazing. I declared war and moved my little 4 unit army onto the mainland from Rhodes and just started taking whatever wasn't nailed down already by the Allies. Then, icing on the cake, all three of them gave me war subsities of 10+ ducats a month. My little chapter of Knights was suddenly being funded by the wealthiest nations of the world.

I take Jerusalem for the Roman Church. In the peace negotiations, I took most of the Ottoman's Asia Minor holdings and Judea, and ironically forced the Ottomans to release Byzantium as an independent nation. The greatest European powers banded together for the Great Crusade and backed the Knights Hospitaller for the epic retaking of the Holy Land.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That is hilariously awesome. Nice to see someone on the other side of war subsidies. I'm normally the one sponsoring a tiny nation in its war against a larger aggressor.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I got them from England as The Hansa once. Stupid Denmark not opening up the tolls at the Straight of I Forget. That game I didn't take any territory and just raked in cash and opened markets. It was surprisingly fun.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    How the hell do you deal with pirates in EU3? Or more specifically, how can you reduce their appearance rate? Because in my current Portugal game it is damn near constant, and it's really fucking annoying.

oldmanken on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    1) Have Heir to the Throne, as it makes them dramatically less aggravating. Just put a ship in port in every sea zone or a huge fleet in centralized sea zones.
    2) If you don't have HttT: go edit the damn save file because it's a pain in the ass. Open your save file with some text editor, search for PIR= to get to the pirate entries, change their tech group to new_world both places it's listed, and set their naval tech to 0 in both cases.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Games that store everything in text files are the best games.

Michael H on
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have HttT, and they are still getting crazy. I have my fleet split into four squadrons, with each responsible for a particular area (west S. Amer., Brazil, Europe/N. Africa, and S. Africa). I'm constantly having to move them around, which is really annoying.

oldmanken on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, split up the fleets, put one in a port in each sea zone (if you have a ton of colonies as you should, you should have a ton of ships to spare). Then you'll have your main fleets to 1) Control the Straits of Gibraltor 2) Blockade any European nation besides England that tries to attack you.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I thought as long as a ship has been in a water zone pirates shouldn't show up for about 30 days.

That's why I always set one ship to auto patrol a certain area. Like around Ireland for example.

Axen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, but they also patrol nearby sea zones automatically when they're in port now, which is amazing. And makes the damn things easier to find.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Axen wrote: »
    I thought as long as a ship has been in a water zone pirates shouldn't show up for about 30 days.

That's why I always set one ship to auto patrol a certain area. Like around Ireland for example.

Protecting your patrols when at war with a naval power is a pain in the arse too. Far easier to have one in port per sea zone.

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, that's the other issue. If you get in some asinine colonial war with England (for example), then all your patrols are dead and you have to rebuild them all. Not fun.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Just when things are getting easy, I get hit by rebels, followed by heretics, followed by war with Cologne, Palatinate, and Bohemia.

I have no idea how I managed to even get past that without losing territory. My armies were due to collapse at any point. All I lost was a load of prestige and money. I have a feeling that my war against Salzburg caused the disastrous war with Bohemia. And because a bunch of important decisions hit me while I was literally using all my money to fight, I had to tolerate a load of protestants and other heretics in my provinces because I couldn't afford to fight more uprisings.
    bavaria2.jpg

I figure given a decade or so, I'll be in a position to stamp out all the heretics and replenish my treasury.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Jephery wrote: »
    The greatest European powers banded together for the Great Crusade and backed the Knights Hospitaller for the epic retaking of the Holy Land.

That was a cool story. :D

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just when things are getting easy, I get hit by rebels, followed by heretics, followed by war with Cologne, Palatinate, and Bohemia.

I have no idea how I managed to even get past that without losing territory. My armies were due to collapse at any point. All I lost was a load of prestige and money. I have a feeling that my war against Salzburg caused the disastrous war with Bohemia. And because a bunch of important decisions hit me while I was literally using all my money to fight, I had to tolerate a load of protestants and other heretics in my provinces because I couldn't afford to fight more uprisings.
    bavaria2.jpg

I figure given a decade or so, I'll be in a position to stamp out all the heretics and replenish my treasury.

France are already so far in? What year is that and who is the emperor, because you seem kind of doomed?

zeeny on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Its like 1515 and Brandenburg is emperor. They have like...1 province.

And yeah, Austria seems to have gotten some sort of event that gave them cores on my capital.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Its like 1515 and Brandenburg is emperor. They have like...1 province.

And yeah, Austria seems to have gotten some sort of event that gave them cores on my capital.

You, sir, may be in for a world of hurt. If you manage to win a war against Austria, I recommend forcing them to release as many states as possible. Quickest way to weaken them.

Alternatively, bribe as many of the electors as you can and get yourself elected HRE.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Teriferin wrote: »

Alternatively, bribe as many of the electors as you can and get yourself elected HRE.

Yeah, you should be emperor for sure if you want to have any chance from here. Still, I'd say you can forget about imperial & colonial ideas and focus on surviving.....and it won't be trivial.

zeeny on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Damn, I'm playing as the Duke of Athens and it's only 1090 or so and my court is FILLED TO THE BRIM with crazy people. Lots of random people I don't care about but then there is also a woman who is a kinslayer and schizophrenic. Where do these people COME from and who is letting them in?? o_O

Edit: Oh shit that crazy woman is the wife of my current ruler. D:

Ferrus on
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I sent my only Heir off to foster with the Templars. Uh, now he is the Grandmaster at the age of 12. WTF?

Your heir is pretty goddamn badass? :P

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Your heir is pretty goddamn badass? :P

Hehe, it seems so. Kid had a Martial score of 16 when he was 12 years old. Intrigue was about 12 or 13 and his Stewardship was 14. The only skill he lacked was Diplomacy, which was only 6.

I guess from what I can tell the Templars had the inheritance law in which whoever is the best gets it all. I was unaware that Fosterlings could be included in that.

The kid is awesome in almost every way except that he has the Kinslayer trait and I have no idea how he got it. He only had one older sister who is still alive. Maybe he had a cousin killed or something? I dunno, but he had it since he was at least 12.

My current king, King Gruffyd the Mad has been poisoned. His son King Gronw the Awesome has taken over. He now holds the title of King of the Templars. Hehehe. Unfortunately, the Mad King's rule has destroyed our reputation amongst the Christian world. To top it off, rebellions are tearing the Holy Land apart. King Gronw the Awesome has his work cut out for him it seems.

I've been trying to roleplay this campaign. It IMHO seems to make things fun. Though I still "game" certain choices. Especially if it involves getting Excommunicated. Don't really need that headache at the moment.

Axen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Damn, I'm playing as the Duke of Athens and it's only 1090 or so and my court is FILLED TO THE BRIM with crazy people. Lots of random people I don't care about but then there is also a woman who is a kinslayer and schizophrenic. Where do these people COME from and who is letting them in?? o_O

Got high prestige? I bet you have high prestige.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    zeeny wrote: »

Yeah, you should be emperor for sure if you want to have any chance from here. Still, I'd say you can forget about imperial & colonial ideas and focus on surviving.....and it won't be trivial.

Is everyone's big concern with the Big Blue Blob and the Austria blob? Highly consolidated, it seems.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Got high prestige? I bet you have high prestige.

Actually it usually floundered around 50 - 100 most of the time. My current ruler took the throne with 10 or so. The Empire survived its initial collapse and became pretty stable, so there isn't much opportunity to gain prestige.

I'm playing with TASS though so maybe the mod changes stuff. I once played the county of Weimar and a random courtier got beatified for having 50 piety or so. :?

Ferrus on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Machismo wrote: »
    zeeny wrote: »

Is everyone's big concern with the Big Blue Blob and the Austria blob? Highly consolidated, it seems.

The correct way to solve this problem is the spy mission to lower stability.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Question; outside of Events is there anyway to raise your reputation?

Because of the blunders of my last king, my rep is so bad Courtiers and Vassals (if I was mad enough to have any) get -10% loyalty a month!

Axen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It improves over time based on your diplomacy score, I think. Stop seizing land, you greedy bastard.

Also: grant titles, recognize claims, that kind of thing.

Best way: when your vassals start rebelling, re-vassalize them and recognize their claim to the title in question. I think that lowers reputation by a net .5 each, and you score as dishonourable scum is probably in the 20ish range? It's a hidden number, but I think that's right.

EDIT: Also, high piety.

EDIT2: good list here.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    In CK reputation improves (the badboy score decreases) over time as a function of your piety. The higher your piety, the faster your reputation will improve.

You can actively reduce the badboy score by granting land to vassals, giving away land or claims as part of a peace settlement (depending on your mods/version) and via an event that lets you choose to relinquish claims on another province. You'll also lose 1/3 of the badboy score if your ruler dies and an heir ascends to the throne.

President Rex on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Awesome, thanks for the quick responses.

Though I do think it is bullshit that taking Muslim land lowers my rep. I should be hailed as a Goddamn hero by the Christian world.

Axen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Awesome, thanks for the quick responses.

Though I do think it is bullshit that taking Muslim land lowers my rep. I should be hailed as a Goddamn hero by the Christian world.

You are! You'll get super high prestige and piety if it was on crusade. But they still look down upon assholes who take too much land for themselves. Give some to your sons, dammit!

The other thing is: if you vassalize Muslims, sometimes awesome things happen. Like the sheik who you vassalized will inherit the Emirate of Granada and suddenly you rule the south third of Iberia. Which happened to me today, nearly doubling my available forces.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    What is a good tactic when it comes to marrying off your women, especially those of your rulers bloodline?

I always check the nearby dukes and counts to see if one of them needs a wife but most of the time they are already married. I then send my girls off to the kings court or something in order to gain a bit of prestige.

Ferrus on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Depends on their stats. The good ones I tend to keep around and marry to my Marshal or Bishop so they can be steward/chancellor/spy master. Otherwise people I'm trying to improve relations with, usually.

enlightenedbum on