As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] Verify Your Account NOW

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm glad I grabbed Empire at War Gold Edition during the sale. The base game is a bit simplistic, but the mod community has put out so much awesome shit. Has anyone else tried or been playing the game with z3r0x's FoC Addon?

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I too remember that exact spot in Serious Sam. It can feel like you've done everything, but you haven't. Make sure you picked up the shotgun, have the audio at a decent level (to hear Kleer that might have got stuck on a pillar), and just browse around trying to lure out all the enemies that will spawn. Eventually a platform or else button that makes a platform will appear and you can finally get up that ledge.

Of course, maybe it has bugged out on you, I don't really know. But I remember having the same doubts whenever I play that room, so it should be okay.
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    You can support four wireless controllers with the receiver, so if you have a few wireless controllers lying around, it's a no-brainer.

This is important information, thanks! I didn't know you'd only need one, in which case I might consider it at the steeper price (I remember when they were selling for like $10 - $15, but I had no reason to jump on it then because my brother was still using his controllers. Doh!)

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Zerokku wrote: »
    Anyone else having issues with Steam? Specifically profile/friends/etc.?

It seems to be going up and down.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    Fig-D wrote: »
    If you do some tweaking, Mirror's Edge can run quite well with PhysX on. You just have to update to the latest drivers and then basically delete the files that ME uses to determine what version of PhysX its using. It likes to default to an older version which is very poorly optimized.

Link?

Took me a while to find the intrusions again.

First update your drivers to the latest version, then follow these steps:

1. Delete or rename the physxcore.dll, and physxdevice.dll from the mirror's edge\binaries directory.
    2. Also delete the physxlocal directory inside binaries.

These are an older version of physx the game defaults to, and if it isn't there then it'll use whichever version you have installed on your system.

3.Do NOT delete physXextensions.dll

My game when from a total slideshow anytime I entered a room with glass to minor slowdown only when I was breaking a shit ton of glass on purpose.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dashui wrote: »
    I'm glad I grabbed Empire at War Gold Edition during the sale. The base game is a bit simplistic, but the mod community has put out so much awesome shit. Has anyone else tried or been playing the game with z3r0x's FoC Addon?

I haven't gotten mods working yet with the steam version. What trickery have you found?

Tamin on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If you do some tweaking, Mirror's Edge can run quite well with PhysX on. You just have to update to the latest drivers and then basically delete the files that ME uses to determine what version of PhysX its using. It likes to default to an older version which is very poorly optimized.

Link?

Took me a while to find the intrusions again.

First update your drivers to the latest version, then follow these steps:

1. Delete or rename the physxcore.dll, and physxdevice.dll from the mirror's edge\binaries directory.
    2. Also delete the physxlocal directory inside binaries.

These are an older version of physx the game defaults to, and if it isn't there then it'll use whichever version you have installed on your system.

3.Do NOT delete physXextensions.dll

My game when from a total slideshow anytime I entered a room with glass to minor slowdown only when I was breaking a shit ton of glass on purpose.
    That worked great, thanks. And daaaamn, I forgot how ridiculously good ME looked on the PC. The texture work is sooooo goood. And there's less aliasing with their ingame 4X AA than forcing 16xq with SSAA in any other UE3 game.

Makes me so sad that games like ME2 are considered 'good looking'

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah man I agree, I absolutely love how great Mirror's Edge looks. It's wonderful. And a lot of it has to do with the style and direction of the artwork as well.

slash000 on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Outside of the cutscenes, yeah, Mirror's Edge looked fantastic

...but that doesn't mean Mass Effect 2 looks bad

Just so we're clear

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There... I now have every single Steam Achievement for Half-Life 2, Episode 1, and Episode 2. Even this one (which was not too bad until the damn car segments) :P The "One Free Bullet" one in Episode 1 (only fire one bullet the entire game) is actually a kind of fun. The stupid Grub one in Episode 2 not so much.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    There... I now have every single Steam Achievement for Half-Life 2, Episode 1, and Episode 2. Even this one (which was not too bad until the damn car segments) :P The "One Free Bullet" one in Episode 1 (only fire one bullet the entire game) is actually a kind of fun. The stupid Grub one in Episode 2 not so much.

Grubs are much easier if you turn on all subtitles. The noise they make is shown.

I think I broke down and read a forum post about it, just to see what my count should be at any given point.

Tamin on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Tamin wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Grubs are much easier if you turn on all subtitles. The noise they make is shown.

I think I broke down and read a forum post about it, just to see what my count should be at any given point.

I used a guide. It was not hard, just really, really tedious.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I went through and got the caches in HL2, the one free bullet in Ep1 and am working on Get some Grub in Ep2. (I'm just gonna use a guide. Last time I tried it myself I was ONE short. I was so pissed.)

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Okay, I'll bite... is there a part in Ep1 that requires one bullet? It's been a while.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »

Just so we're clear

No, but it doesn't really look good on the other hand. Especially not as good as a lot of people make it out to be.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Vegan wrote: »
    Okay, I'll bite... is there a part in Ep1 that requires one bullet? It's been a while.

Yep. You have to shoot a lock out.

Tamin on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »

Just so we're clear

No, but it doesn't really look good on the other hand. Especially not as good as a lot of people make it out to be.

There's nothing wrong with Mass Effect 2's visuals from a technical standpoint. It's just a bit on a generic sci fi side. Mirrors Edge they actually did a totally different art style, and the effort put into it showed. The only other UE3 game I've seen that looked distinctive was Arkham Asylum. Which reminds me, I really should finish that.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The textures are pretty bad, and I don't know what they did with the geometry, but it's still pretty jaggy at 16xq SSAA

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    So I just picked up Dark Void Zero. All set to play some 8-bit-esque goodness, but the silly thing hangs at the Capcom logo. No error messages, nothing.

I'm on Windows 7; a google search has not been fruitful. I attempted to run it out of the directory, but that 'failed to initialize steam'. Also exited and re-opened Steam.

Anyone happen to have run across this issue?

Tamin on
  • Options
    MarundoMarundo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I would like to get the steam achievements for Orange Box. I got a lot of the xbox ones before I switched over. It would be a pretty cool goal to have. Esp considering, I have a total of 45 minutes playing TF2. I think you guys have inspired me to go for it.

Marundo on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Wow. That's a new one on me. My keyboard was interfering with the program launching.

Tamin on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wow. That's a new one on me. My keyboard was interfering with the program launching.

what? in what way / how so?

slash000 on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The one achievement I haven't nabbed in Episode Two is Neighborhood Watch. I'm always just a little too late, turn the corner, and watch a Strider blow up a house.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    slash000 wrote: »

The Logitech G15 has an LCD screen that displays quasi-useful information. HP/Mana in an RPG, a clock, recent messages; things like that. Think of it like a VMU for the DreamCast.

It seems that the game 'supports' said LCD screen. It was trying to get the screen to display something, and when it couldn't, it just hung there.

Went into the list of profiles and told it not to launch. Game started up fine.

Tamin on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

The Logitech G15 has an LCD screen that displays quasi-useful information. HP/Mana in an RPG, a clock, recent messages; things like that. Think of it like a VMU for the DreamCast.

It seems that the game 'supports' said LCD screen. It was trying to get the screen to display something, and when it couldn't, it just hung there.

Heh, I love my first gen G15. Never had a game crash because of it though.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just finished Secret of Monkey Island: SE.

Coming from someone who hadn't played MI before: The game is awesome and funny.

There were moments where I really had to use the hint system (the world has this consistent logic, but sometimes you miss a little detail in the background. For example, I hadn't even seen the dam in Monkey Island™, which meant I didn't even think about using it, etc.)

And I was in love with the whole hot swap between classic and new version. I kept mashing F10 just to see the original (and that lovely transition effect.)

There need to be more remakes like this one, not only of MI.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Bruce ForsythBruce Forsyth Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The one achievement I haven't nabbed in Episode Two is Neighborhood Watch. I'm always just a little too late, turn the corner, and watch a Strider blow up a house.

It may help a little to learn that you likely weren't "just a little too late". Many of the striders that blow up buildings will go to the building (Sometimes really, really fast, leaving their hunter guards behind) and stand there waiting for you to be in range before blowing it up. If you're good with the magnussons, it will just take a couple tries to learn where striders come from and which need to be taken care of more quickly than others.

Once or twice, you need to ignore the first strider that pops up on your map and wait for another one that is going to give you maybe 10 seconds to kill it. If I remember correctly, the second strider will destroy the lumber mill pretty quickly, but if it survives that strider, it's rarely in danger again (If ever). I guess understanding how the fight is programmed takes some fun from it, but it's how you make the achievement doable.

Bruce Forsyth on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010

I have the G11, it's a great keyboard. The LCD screen on the G15 seems a waste, who actually looks at their keyboard? My keyboard tray doesn't even have room to see that part of the keyboard.

Morkath on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Morkath wrote: »

I have the G11, it's a great keyboard. The LCD screen on the G15 seems a waste, who actually looks at their keyboard? My keyboard tray doesn't even have room to see that part of the keyboard.

Honestly, I look at it. Though not concerning games - I use it to watch my CPU and memory usage.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    cwapfobrainscwapfobrains Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Another great thing about having a 360 controller hooked up to the PC is playing same screen Co-op games. Just got finished playing a couple hours of Flotilla split screened and it was a ton of fun. Trine is also amazing for this, both are just so much more fun playing co-op. (I was using keyboard+mouse for both, my friend was playing with controller).

cwapfobrains on
    camo_sig.png
    LoL Summoner: infobrains | XBL: cwap4brains | PSN: infobrains
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Another great thing about having a 360 controller hooked up to the PC is playing same screen Co-op games. Just got finished playing a couple hours of Flotilla split screened and it was a ton of fun. Trine is also amazing for this, both are just so much more fun playing co-op. (I was using keyboard+mouse for both, my friend was playing with controller).

I did this with Cortex Command and a friend and we had a lot of fun.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Morkath wrote: »

Well, some games like the witcher are hard to judge the health and other stuff from the bar, so it's easier to glance at the screen than mouse over for the detailed information.

But yeah, it's much more useful for things like FRAPS of Vent, or heck, even checking the time without alt-tabing

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Fuck that achievement so hard.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »

Neighborhood Watch is a paradise compared to Rocketman

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Both are pretty much inevitable if you know what you're doing. Just keep at it and you'll get there eventually.

Get Some Grub is one where it's easy as hell to miss a grub and have to do the whole thing over again.. Multiple times. If you're lucky.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Drovek wrote: »
    There need to be more remakes like this one, not only of MI.

Fucking A! I'm looking at you Day of the Tentacle!!! Holy Christ I loved that game.

I have a question, over hte Steam Sale I got a lot of games where I'm going to need a controller for my PC. I'm banking on a wired 360 controller me thinks. Question. Is there a difference between a
    Wired Xbox360 Controller and Wired Xbox360 Controller for Windows? The for Windows tag seems to cost $8 more, but I was under the assumption the former worked as well.

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    They're exactly the same. You're getting ripped off if you paid more for the "Windows" branded version.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Both are pretty much inevitable if you know what you're doing. Just keep at it and you'll get there eventually.

Get Some Grub is one where it's easy as hell to miss a grub and have to do the whole thing over again.. Multiple times. If you're lucky.

I've tried the grubs 5 times, and failed, always, by missing one.

Fuck grubs

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Zxerol wrote: »
    They're exactly the same. You're getting ripped off if you paid more for the "Windows" branded version.

I believe the 'Windows' one also comes with a driver CD, the contents of which you can easily download from Microsoft's support site anyway.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I reached the
    orphanage
    in Thief this morning. God damnit I hate the spookiness. I walked into a room and heard a door creak open and footsteps, but of course there was no one there.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2010
    Wooh, I like Resident Evil 5. Never played 4.

Now to see if I can nag my buddy into getting it so we can do co-op.

Echo on