As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Good Xbox360 RPG's?

HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys,

I recently bought a 360 for the first time. I bought it for Red Dead Redemption...which I loved.

Now I'm feeling a need to scratch that rpg itch.

So I'm coming to you guys. Any suggestions on good rps for the 360? They don't have to be new games, as i've never owned this console (or any console outside of a wii).

However, I'm a pretty big pc gamer...so if it came out on both...I probably played it (but feel free to suggest it nonetheless).

Thanks!

camo_sig2.png
Heir on

• Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Fallout 3 is good. Really good.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    corcorigan wrote: »
    Fallout 3 is good. Really good.

Yep...already played the crap out of it on PC. I'm looking more for rpgs that are not on PC.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SeanronSeanron GlasgowRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Mass Effect's 1 and 2 are boss!

Seanron on
    PSN: Seanron - XBL: Seanron - Steam: Seanron
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    RPGs?

Fable 2: Action/Adventure RPG. Play as a hero who develops skills in Strength (Melee), Will (Magic) and Dexterity (Ranged Weapons). Highly customisable. Decide if you want to be a good vegan who loves everyone and looks good or a jerk who eats baby chickens and kicks puppies because he can.

FF13: Erm. Some would argue if this is good. I would say, buy it used.

Lost Odyssey: Classic gameplay in a new 3d shell...so I've heard. Pretty long though.

Eternal Sonata: It's interesting. VERY japanese though, lots of anime and japanese RPG tropes.

Oblivion: Classic american RPG. Highly customizable with a quest based system. Can get tedious. Very pretty. Plays like Morrowind for the Xbox.

Mass Effect 1 & 2: It's a bioware RPG in the future. Guns, spaceships, alien sex and mind powers.

Dragon Age: It's a bioware RPG in the past. Swords, horses, elf sex and magic.

Sipex on
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Seanron wrote: »
    Mass Effect's 1 and 2 are boss!

These two are the best RPGs I've played since KotOR. BEST.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Esh on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Breath of Death VII on Xbox Live Indie Games

It's only a dollar and it's awesome

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Oh yeah.

Made by a PA'er as well. Plays a lot like a classic NES RPG but without having to hold down the reset button while you turn the power off on your console.

Sipex on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey would be my suggestions. Blue Dragon is woefully underrated, mainly due (I think) to the terrible, terrible, terrible demo they released for it. The demo was ass. It pretty much plopped you into a barren wasteland with no story or context just to show off a bit of the battle system. Also, the demo ran a little sluggishly. It wasn't that the mechanics were actually bad, but to slice that particular part out and show the player was terrible. IN context though it's a great game.

A lot of people give Lost Odyssey shit for being overly melodramatic in parts but I think it's good. A little melodrama never hurt anyone too badly.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    If you do buy Blue Dragon you want to play it on hard, so I've heard.

Sipex on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Blue Dragon is the worst JRPG I've ever played

Not even applying any hyperbole here

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Resonance of Fate.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    FF13 > Tales of Vesperia > Lost Odyssey.

Really there's a fair amount, but a great portion of them are love it or hate it options.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Blue Dragon is the worst JRPG I've ever played

Not even applying any hyperbole here

I guess that depends on how many RPGs you've played and your tastes, but even if I rated the game based solely on the wretched demo, I could still have named dozens of RPGs worse than it.

The story can be a bit cheesy, but the leveling system is fun and the locales are actually pretty nice-looking. And while I'm not a fan of ATB, it didn't manage to piss me off as much as the Final Fantasy ATB systems did.

Drez on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Arivia wrote: »

Really there's a fair amount, but a great portion of them are love it or hate it options.

That should be backwards. Lost Odyssey is SO GOOD.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Arivia wrote: »

Including FF13. God what an over designed piece of dreck.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm supporting Mass Effect here. There aren't that many RPGs for the 360, sadly, but Mass Effect makes up for it.

Fable2 is okay, but not really a "hard" RPG.

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Oh I should note that I think Mass Effect 1 and 2 are top notch but I would recommend those for the PC. At least ME1 is better for the PC.

Drez on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ME1 and 2 are fantastic.

I've found myself enjoying FF13 too which was unexpected.

Quid on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lost Odyssey has a lot of really, really cool ideas, but it's a relatively straightforward JRPG. If you like JRPG mechanics, you will probably dig it. I haven't finished FF13, so I can't say for certain, but Lost Odyssey is my favorite JRPG for the 360. (Sorry Tales fans, I don't like action RPGs.)

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Went out and bought Fable 2! Thanks for the replies guys.

Most of the AAA titles are on the PC too and I already played the crap out of them (Oblivion, ME 1&2, Fallout 3, etc etc). Fable 2 never came out on pc though.

I may have to check out Breath of Death too...love me some classic NES rpgs.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I actually have Fable on PC, but the controls are terrible. I have to look into adapting them to the Xbox 360 controller with Xpadder or something.

Drez on
  • Options
    LoathingLoathing Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    For straight up RPG's, I'll throw another vote towards Tales of Vesperia. I didn't mind FF13 but fuck it's linear.

Loathing on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sipex wrote: »

Oh yeah.

Made by a PA'er as well. Plays a lot like a classic NES RPG but without having to hold down the reset button while you turn the power off on your console.

Actually 2 PAers (me & Slash000). I do the gameplay, story, and code and Slash000 does all the graphics & map designs.

Oh and our next RPG - Cthulhu Saves the World - will be coming out towards the end of next month so you can look forward to that as well. http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/06/25/cthulhu-saves-the-world-coming-to-xbox-live-indie-channel.aspx

As for other RPGs, Tales of Vesperia is probably the best one I've played on the 360 and I don't even like Tales games very much. Lost Odyssey & Blue Dragon are decent but very slow paced, FF13 is a mess, hated Fable 2, and I haven't tried Resonance of Fate. Then you have the PC/360 multi-platform RPGs, some of which are good, but you'd probably want to get the PC version instead if you have a good computer.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The Thousand Years of Dreams in Lost Odyessy are fantastic, and utterly heart breaking.

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Even though they will never do episodes three or four, I also really have to recommend Penny Arcade Adventures

The battle system is one of the best I've seen in an RPG, and the writing is wonderful

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Even though they will never do episodes three or four, I also really have to recommend Penny Arcade Adventures

The battle system is one of the best I've seen in an RPG, and the writing is wonderful

Get the PC versions if you can - the 2 episodes are $5/each on Steam, but $15-$20/each on the XBox marketplace.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Get the PC versions if you can - the 2 episodes are $5/each on Steam, but $15-$20/each on the XBox marketplace.

Have them already for PC. :)

Like I said, if it came out on PC also, then I probably got it.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm really liking Fable 2 so far.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'll also throw my vote in for Breath of Death, but I don't think it plays anything like a classic RPG. It LOOKS like a classic RPG, but it's design is one that modern games from big developers could learn from.

The branching level ups are totally awesome. You get to choose between two things, and you may NEVER get the other choice. It's so deliciously tortuous.

Jurg on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'll put support behind Resonance of Fate, Lost Odyssey and FFXIII as well. LO was probably the one I enjoyed the most, even though it's pretty generic (apart from the stories, which are excellent). The soundtrack is also one of my favorites.

FFXIII is flawed in many ways but I still had fun playing it. It's not a bad game by any means.

RoF is pretty hard to explain. The story is vague and confusing but the characters are likable and the setting is neat. The battle system is also pretty unique and fun.

Adus on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Throwing in another recommendation for Tales of Vesperia. It's not a completely flawless experience, but there's a lot to like.

One thing, though -- do not play the demo on XBL marketplace for ToV. They throw you into a pretty boring part of the game with no explanation of anything. It is one of those things where the demo is anti-marketing the game.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Don't get Star Ocean 4. Whatever you do, don't get Star Ocean 4.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    blaze_zero wrote: »

Too late.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    hamdingershamdingers Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Western style solo RPG: Oblivion. I liked it better than Fallout - the washed out color palette, bleak story and VATS all turned me off.

Western style party RPG: Dragon Age. Accept no substitutes.

JRPG: Lost Odyssey really is the best one, I found FF13 to be meh and for BD I couldn't take the voice acting. Infinite Undiscovery is best left undiscovered.

ME1 and ME2 are of course highly recommended. ME1 feels a bit more RPG than ME2 in it's mechanics, but ME2 is more 'fun' - if you like your games to do that sort of thing.

On XBLA, don't pass up Puzzle Quest 1 (more epic feel) and Puzzle Quest 2 (more Diablo feel). Breath of Death is old school fun.

hamdingers on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Puzzle Quest 1 came out for PC already so he probably played it.

Puzzle Quest 2 hasn't been released for PC yet though, has it?

Sipex on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Sipex wrote: »
    Puzzle Quest 1 came out for PC already so he probably played it.

Puzzle Quest 2 hasn't been released for PC yet though, has it?

Not yet no. I've actually never touched the first one either though. I keep hearing I should...maybe one of these days I'll get around to it.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    blaze_zero wrote: »

Too late.

I'm so sorry. The battle system was actually good, but the characters are, without exaggeration, the worst line up I have every seen in any work in any media. They are all one dimensional and that dimension is OBSCENELY overdone anime stereotypes. And shit. There was literally nothing redeeming about any of them. I hate them all. Hate hate hate.

Tales of Vesperia is awesome. The demo sucks because it also throws you against one of the harder early bosses. The story is a little messy, but it's a Tales game so that's expected. The battle system is fun and most of the characters are fun. The voice acting is also top notch for a video game.

Eternal Sonata is kinda WTF Japan, but it's really good. The battle system changes it up enough that combat is fun right up until the end. You finish the bonus dungeon able to do some ridiculous combos and dish out 6 figures of damage. Also it has history lessons between chapters. No, really!

I have FF13 for PS3. It's not bad, just hugely disappointing. Don't expect Final Fantasy. And yes, it is as slow to get started as everyone says. Getting the plot and setup done early is good. Taking 4 hours to do so is bad.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey is all you really need. Both are fantastic. One is very close to Dragon Quest (Blue Dragon) and the other is close to Final Fantasy (Lost Odyssey).

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I find it hard to believe that SO4 can be worse than SO3.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Oh shit I totally forgot about Enchanted Arms.

Not for nothing, but I really liked this little gem. I never DID beat it, but it was fun.

Drez on