As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Blazblue: Continuum Shift- old thread is old.

AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Games and Technology
Footage of CS2 trailer here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcOi2LEp1X0

Come chat with us at IRC! #PAFighting at irc.slashnet.org:6667

Or use this web client: http://www.slashnet.org/webclient/PAFighting

RANBATS

360 Ranbat rules. PM chaoshat for details.
ChaosHat wrote:
Okay, I have finalized RanBat rules for the new season and I figure I'd post here since I'm not sure if you guys all check the SF thread. Here is what you need to know about RanBat Season 3 and how it pertains to you (and BlazBlue).

RanBats are RANking BATtles. Basically, when the RanBats occur, you will be pitted against a certain group of enemies and then given points based on how well you do which will then be used to rank you. That's the thesis sentence of the whole thing at least.

The BlazBlue RanBat is currently scheduled for Thursday at 9PM Eastern and should be that time every week (unless I decide to change it). You should PM me as far in advance as you can so I can get an idea of who's coming. At the time (or preferably much, much earlier) you should hop into PA irc, since it's where most of the organizing occurs. If you can't be on irc, it's okay (as long as we know) but it's really helpful, so please try. At nine, I'll randomize the entrant list and post it into the forums.

When you see the list, the first thing you should do is find your name on the list. You'll be responsible for playing against the three players above you and the three players below you on that list, for a total of six matches. All matches are best of three games, which are best of three rounds. The winner is not allowed to change characters in between games, the losing player may change if desired.

As the matches get done you need to report them, preferably to me in irc. If you are reporting in irc, use a message so I won't lose it (/msg username message). If you need to, you can probably use a forum PM for this, just send me one big one at the end if you do it that way. You'll win two points per match win. When I get all of the records, I'll find the top four and put them in a single elimination bracket. These players will then get a bonus point for being in the top four, and then two more points per match win after that.

At the end, I'll take all the information and put it in a big google docs spreadsheet that anyone can look at whenever to see their standings throughout the season, which will end whenever I feel like ending it (when I'm winning preferably). When that happens, the top however many players (largely based on how many RanBat participants there are) will be seeded into a double elimination bracket for all the marbles and to be crowned season champion.

That's about as simply as I can put it. Questions?
CSlogo.jpg

The characters! Click on the character box. (courtesy of Chaoshat):
1zd17as.jpgvq6450.jpgzje35d.jpg2yun9u0.jpg
o9oej6.jpgrc7af9.jpg2q30qaq.jpg
1z3qqs9.jpg1zdmzgj.jpg2rdjj49.jpg
n6ol5s.jpgk4ieyc.jpg263u36a.jpg
29mq1c7.jpg2cqfkzo.jpg25iluld.jpgxktwjk.jpg

Also, 4 more characters for the Console version, with 3 of them being future DLC.

Included in the Console Version
Mu_Guide_Header.png
Name: Mu
The transformed and true version of Noel. Her drive move allows her to set up "steins", or crystals, around the screen, which will shoot out lasers and reflect 2 special lasers, one of them being a special and another being one of her supers. They will also detonate on command.

Upcoming DLC characters
Continuum Shift Trailer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F93nP9PNarg

Xbox live Gamertags/PSN IDs

Chaoshat made a nice list and form. Use it!

http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dHdGenh5dW9IQnRza0p4YlRacWhDRVE6MA
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=twFzxyuoHBtskJxbTZqhCEQ&output=html

What is Blazblue?

Blazblue is a fighting game from Arc System Works, the makers of the famous Guilty Gear. It was originally meant to be set in the same universe, but apparently not? Anyway, to any of you who are familiar with Guilty Gear, you should know what to expect. Which is batshit insane characters, fast-paced gameplay and the best music to ever grace a videogame.

So what's this Continuum Shift thingy?

It's the next iteration of Blazblue, which not only features 3 new characters with 3 more coming as DLC, but also wide-ranging system changes as well as changes and balance tweaks for every character, with some of them going through a significant change, playing almost nothing alike their Calamity Trigger version.

But how does it play?

The game uses an 8-directional lever, common to most fighting games, and 4 attack buttons: A, B, C and Drive, the latter of which activates unique special abilities for each character. Throws and throw cancels are performed by pressing B and C at the same time. In addition to basic dashing and jumping, there are also double-jumps and aerial dashes.

Heat Gauge: An energy gauge used for the Distortion Drive and Rapid Cancel.

Distortion Drive: Special attacks unique to each character that consume 50% of the heat gauge. Performed with some arrows motion plus the drive button.

Barrier Gauge: A gauge that regenerates over time, used for Barrier and Barrier Burst. The defense capability of a character is lowered for a set period of time when this gauge reaches zero.

Barrier: Pushes back the enemy and prevents guard damage. Performed by pressing weak attack and medium attack at the same time while guarding.

Barrier Burst: Pushes the opponent away, either when guarding or receiving damage, thus cancelling the enemy's combo in the latter case. Uses 100% of the barrier gauge and leaves it to zero for a set period of time. Performed by pressing all four buttons at the same time.

Guard Points: Each character has a set amount of guard points, and they'll deplete when they are hit with a guard crush move while blocking. When a character loses all of his guard points, they will be in a guard crush state, and they'll be unable to block or move for a certain period.

Is there going to be online?

Yep! Blazblue has one of the better online experiences available for fighting games, with one of the best netcode which enables for smooth plays online. It features ranked matches and player matches, and in player matches you can set up a lobby for up to 6 people. Continuum Shift also allows you to turn on online match requests for training mode, which is definitely an awesome addition, as it allows you to train while waiting for an opponent to fight.

SCREENS
bb1-1.jpg
bb2-1.jpg
bb4-1.jpg
bb5-1.jpg
bb3.jpg
bb6.jpg
c20100220_blazblue_22_cs1w1_640x384.jpg

Gameplay vidjas.

10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
Antihippy on

• AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ARC_LOGO.jpg

Arc system works is the developer behind Blazblue, but they are known for more games other than Blazblue.
    Guilty gear
    up_122002gif.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSshxrNC7aw

Guilty gear is the game that placed Arcsys on the fighting game map. It is known for its deep, complicated, crazy gameplay, and zany characters with a huge variety of unorthodox play styles. Blazblue system is based off it, though blazblue tones down alot of the complexity. The latest version is Guilty Gear Accent Core +, and can be found on the PS2.

There's also a DW style spinoff in Guilty gear 2 for the Xbox 360. You can talk about that I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUZb45qYEjY
    Arcana Heart 3
    ah3logo.png

Arcana heart 3 is a game developed by Examu, and Arcsys is currently making the PS3 and Xbox 360 ports, with online play. Which is great because if not the only way you could play this game is if you live in Japan. It has an all female cast, it's a fighter similar to other anime fighters (guilty gear, melty blood), though of course it still plays pretty different from them. The main difference is the use of Arcanas, which any character can choose from various different ones, and each of them has it's own skill which the character can use. Some of them give basic bonuses like a projectile or whatever, but some of them are a little bit more complicated to use, and each of them are utilised in a different way.

Also, the air movement in the game is crazy. It's pretty well known for it's big stages, though it's big as in it's really high, and you can definitely see the reason behind that.

Wiki: http://poverty.mizuumi.net/index.php/Arcana_Heart_3
    Vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/ripumira
    Hokuto no Ken
    hokuto02-1.jpg

A fighter based on the well known franchise Hokuto no Ken (duh), or more commonly known in the west as Fist of the North Star. Known to be horribly broken, it is also known to be really fun as well. Most well known for having the best fighting game match ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvD26Vbgov0
    Battle Fantasia
    logo.jpg

Battle fantasia is a 2.5D fighter by Arcsys on the 360 and PS3. It's not really popular, though the gameplay is still fun and the fantasy setting is unique. There's also a dude who keeps saying "Texas."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4hQSYlScV8
    Sengoku Basara X
    7d54f977379c4f8119497457c7d26686-Sengoku_Basara_X.jpg

A collab with capcom to produce a Sengoku basara fighting game. Broken and not very popular.
    Hooked! Real motion fishing
    Hooked_Real_Motion_Fishing.png

... okay, we don't really talk about this. :P

Antihippy on
  • eeSanGeeSanG I slice like a goddamn hammer. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh, that's a pretty cool character layout in the OP.

eeSanG on
    LFMGb.jpg
    Slice like a god damn hammer. LoL: Rafflesia / BNet: Talonflame#11979
    edited July 2010
    Chaoshat made it. Did a pretty awesome job too.

Antihippy on
  • blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm sad, I might have to wait a few weeks before I snag this.

blaze_zero on
    edited July 2010
    Heh.

I'm hoping to get mine by the end of July.

Then I'll be double dipping when the PAL version comes out. Getting the SE.

Also, :lol: at Jin's joke ending. Spoilers if you care about joke endings.

Credit to zephyr07.
    Jin: Tch... what is this place? I could have sworn I was just on an exciting and dangerous chase of my brother...
    Kokonoe: You're rather disgusting aren't you.
    Jin: What about it, and who the hell are you? Are you the one who summoned me here!? Release me from here this instant!
    Kokonoe: No can do. Or should I say, you have to voice Hakumen's lines as well.
    Jin: Hakumen? What are you talking about? Nevermind. In that case, I'll just have to kill you!
    Kokonoe: Well your true nature came out out pretty fast. However, it's too bad but you won't be able to kill me. Conversely, if you do, then you'll be stuck with wandering about the infinite possible endings of the world. That said if you don't take my advice now, you won't be able to leave here.
    Jin: Advice? Me, ask advice from you? Hah! What bullshit are you spouting...
    Konokoe: But if you don't ask, you won't leave you know?
    Jin: Shut up! Yukianesa!!
    Kokonoe: Uwah, cold! Hey it's cold so put an end to that!
    Jin: Ahahahaha! Freeze! The hidden-secret art that surpasses the Artic Dungeon... Eternal Fros....
    Kokonoe: Tch, in that case I too have a secret weapon. Anti Jin Kisaragi core unit. “Brother Ragna”!
    Ragna: Huh? Hey, this place is...
    Kokonoe: Hey, protagonist. This guy's a pain so you're gonna be this guy's opponent.
    Jin: <3~
    Ragna: Ha? ... wh,wh, what, it's Jin!? Oh man is this gonna be a pain!!
    Kokonoe: Having said that, I'll be counting on you.
    Ragna: Wait, why me?!! Hey, wait a minute, you bitch!!
    Jin; Brother! Haa, haa, brother!!
    Ragna: Woah! Jin, you! Don't just casually walk over to my back!
    Kokonoe: Yes, that's a good mood. Well, I'll be counting on you, brother Ragna!
    Ragna: Huh?! Don't joke with me!
    Jin: He~y, brother. Now that that woman's gone, let's hurry up and enjoy ourselves!!
    Ragna: Woah! What's with this room's sudden dark and doubtful change in atmosphere...?! Hey, Kokonoe! This is your doing isn't it!!
    Kokonoe: Ragna, mummy's just stepping out for a moment to do a little shopping... Don't worry, you two can take your time. Fufu.
    Ragna: Wait... just a minute! This is my first time being left in a woman's house with a kid!
    Jin: ... Brother!
    Ragna: Guah! Jin! Don't whisper in my ear like that!
    Jin: <3 Now the, the obstacle has disappeared! Ufufu.. Ahaha... Brother! <3

Ragna: Ah-!

Jin: ...Fuu.
    Ragna: Ah-, erm. Kokonoe. I'm really sorry. I'm begging you... just hurry up and give the advice.
    Kokonoe: Hm, are you really fine?
    Ragna: That's already... enough... anymore and...
    Jin: What are you saying, brother! Not yet! This isn't even the beginning!
    Ragna: .... Save me... Dr. Kokonoe...
    Kokonoe: Well, I guess that's enough. In that case, my advice is... “Don't lose any battles”... And that's it!
    Ragna: (Ah... finally... I can go back...)
    Jin: Ah! Wa, wait for me~, Bro~ther!
    Kokonoe: ... However, he will sooner or later become a hero anyway... I guess the world will end too...

Antihippy on
  • PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That;s how he normally acts anyway, isn't it? :P

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Are there new "TEACH ME, BOOBIE LADY!" episodes?

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
    edited July 2010
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    That;s how he normally acts anyway, isn't it? :P

Pretty much. :lol:
    Are there new "TEACH ME, BOOBIE LADY!" episodes?

Yes.

And a "Help me Dr kokonoe" too.

Antihippy on
  • SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    v12 looks brilliant! Can't wait!

Snare on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I sadly probably won't be getting this at release, unless someone sees an amazing deal somewhere and posts about it. Too many money sinks this month, ugh.

Houn on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'll be using my amazon credit on this.

If it weren't for that, I would have waited until balance patch 1. You people are sharks.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    God I can't wait for this.
    It unfortunately doesn't look like they have been many balance tweaks since the arcade version. I wasn't expecting much, but I guess I should give up on learning Rachel after all.

AshtonDragon on
    edited July 2010
    Cantido wrote: »
    You people are sharks.

What does that mean? o_O

Anyway, yeah, it's the fighting fan's life. Slave to the newest iteration.
    It unfortunately doesn't look like they have been many balance tweaks since the arcade version. I wasn't expecting much, but I guess I should give up on learning Rachel after all.

They're planning one 6 months after release.

Antihippy on
  • AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »

They're planning one 6 months after release.
    Yeah, I heard about that, which will be nice. I was hoping for some small buff to make her playable at launch, though.

Oh well. It's not like I don't want to use every other character anyway.

AshtonDragon on
  • IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If I keep making progress on my game at the pace I am now, I will probably feel confident enough to pick up CS at launch and keep going.

I pulled off a few upsets yesterday against some higher level players, but it was balanced out by losses to drive spamming nus and noels.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    We finally broke a new thread.

Either way, yeah I can't wait for the end of the month. I'm thinking about getting both versions of the game just because. At 40 bucks a pop(not counting the DLC of course), it doesn't seem that painful.

Dragkonias on
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »
    You people are sharks.

What does that mean? o_O

Actually, I'll just let that guy explain it

ChaosHat on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Trinity is terrifying beyond my wildest expectations.

ARCSYS! :x

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    She's a heck of a lot better than Makoto.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Since Bridget was invented I've come to expect the worst from ArcSys.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I remember once in High School where I actually had this guy who was into games but not that into games, rant for a good 2 minutes about how hot Bridget was when we were talking about GG.

I broke the news to him and he had the most incredulous look on his face for the rest of the lunch period.

Dragkonias on
  • interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is Makoto shaping up to be terrible? Awww. I was hoping she'd be playable.

interrobang on
    edited July 2010
    We're saying terrible in terms of character design.

We have no clue about how she plays.

Dragkonias on
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Barrabas wrote: »
    Since Bridget was invented I've come to expect the awesome from ArcSys.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Makoto's theme is amazing.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm going to have to wait 2 weeks from release to get this because of my job :(

Feels Good Man on
  • OklahomacityOklahomacity Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Since Bridget was invented I've come to expect the best from ArcSys.

I think you meant best, pretty sure you meant best. You meant best. I fixed it for you.

Oklahomacity on
    edited July 2010
    Since Bridget was invented I've come to expect the best from ArcSys.

I think you meant best, pretty sure you meant best. You meant best. I fixed it for you.
    Since Bridget was invented I've come to expect the awesome from ArcSys.

See, you two are both bad people. Bad cross dressing underage boy obsessed people.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • IblisIblis Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Apparently some blog is claiming to know the names of Platinum and Valkenhayn's drives, Angelica and Lycanthropy respectively. I would take this with a grain of salt at the moment however, as there's no real evidence to give them credibility.

Iblis on
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
    edited July 2010
  • Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    makotos theme owns

Feels Good Man on
  • The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have no idea why I play fighting games, I'm no good at them and I don't have the time to devote to get better at them.

Having said that... day one purchase.

The Sneak! on
    edited July 2010
    Are you crazy? You're great at SF4 and BB. :P

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Not really. Not in the area I'd like to be, anyhow. But thank you cj! Just for that, I'll pick up the PS3 version of this too so I can play you.

The Sneak! on
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm assuming the online of the PS3 version will allow fighting against all regions (NA vs PAL vs JPN) while the 360 version will be region locked, just like CT?

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    How many people will be picking this up on 360? Or am I switching to PS3 this time around (even though I don't have a good PS3 stick)?

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
    edited July 2010
    I'll be picking it up on the 360, though I can't guarantee how long I'll be playing. I quit the original rather quickly when I wasn't able to find a second I really liked. There however are a few changes to the game that make me think I might be playing this version longer, and Ive been eying Tsubaki.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'll be getting it on 360, probably not at launch though.

Blue map on
    My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • GarethMagisGarethMagis Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If i come off as a troll i honestly dont mean to, but i was at fanime con and saw some people who were really good and every match just involved stun locking like a mofo or wall juggling like a mofo i'm just curious is that what this game is really all about or is there more too it then memorizing one combo string and executing it reapeatedly

GarethMagis on
  • aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Fig-D wrote: »
    How many people will be picking this up on 360? Or am I switching to PS3 this time around (even though I don't have a good PS3 stick)?

I'm considering picking it up. I never got into the first one and TBH, I never really enjoyed Guilty Gear but a few friends of mine will be playing it and I don't want to be left out of the loop so -_-

I should probably read up on it some. Should be interesting to finally figure out what all those fucking meters and bars actually mean.

aBlank on
This discussion has been closed.