Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

WMP Mapped Drive Shenanigans

SixSix Registered User regular
Could use a little help here, as this one is a bit annoying. WMP under Windows 7 refuses to play media content that I have on my little NAS if it's through a mapped drive on my PC. But If I browse to them via UNC path, it works fine.

VLC plays the content fine off the mapped drive.

So, to recap:

PC -> mapped drive -> NAS

WMP fails, saying "Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file." and then eventually crashes. VLC plays the file fine.

PC -> UNC path -> NAS

No problems.

I can copy the files to my desktop via the mapping as well.

Any ideas? This is only happening on one machine. From a Windows 7 VM on another machine with a drive mapped the files play fine. This is happening with both MP3s and video content.

XBL, PSN, & Steam: SixkillerNYC Twitter Flickr