As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Moving data across hard-drives

ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
My computer has two 250GB hard-drives. They're locked together in a 500GB RAID array. I don't really understand RAID. From what I've read, it's impossible to split these drives up without formatting them.

My problem is that one of the drives is dying.

I want to copy the data from both of my current hard-drives onto a new drive. I only have two hard-drive slots in my computer, so at any one time, I can only have 1 old 250GB + 1 new 1TB drive plugged in. How do I go about copying data over from the old drives when it'll be spread higgledy-piggledy across the two drives..? Can the data be stitched together on the new drive?

pokes: 1505 8032 8399
Æthelred on

• Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You could buy a hard drive enclosure to put the 1TB drive in, copy the data, and then remove the dying drive and format the other.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Even though you only have two hard-drive slots, there's a good chance your motherboard has more than two SATA ports on the motherboard.

So just open the case, connect the 1TB drive to the motherboard carefully while leaving it on the table, then boot up the computer and copy stuff over.

If not, you'll indeed have to get an enclosure to connect to a USB port instead.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Æthelred wrote: »
    My computer has two 250GB hard-drives. They're locked together in a 500GB RAID array. I don't really understand RAID. From what I've read, it's impossible to split these drives up without formatting them.

My problem is that one of the drives is dying.

I want to copy the data from both of my current hard-drives onto a new drive. I only have two hard-drive slots in my computer, so at any one time, I can only have 1 old 250GB + 1 new 1TB drive plugged in. How do I go about copying data over from the old drives when it'll be spread higgledy-piggledy across the two drives..? Can the data be stitched together on the new drive?

You won't be able to do this internally if you only have SATA slots on your motherboard (though as pointed out, you probably have more), because if you separate the drives in a RAID 0 you will not be able to access the data because it's spread out across both drives.

The easiest solution would be to use an external hard drive. If you don't already have the new drive you want to use, you can just buy an external 500+GB drive (1TB external drives are pretty cheap nowadays). If you already bought the 1TB drive, you can do as thorgot suggested and just buy an external drive enclosure to put that drive in.

Do NOT take out either 250GB drive, as you won't be able to access the data without both drives in the RAID.

Daenris on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It seems I do have more SATA slots in my motherboard. My disc drives are connected up via them, so I'll pull one of those cables out and plug in the new hard drive I've ordered. Then it's just a matter of copying over all the data onto the new drive. Then I can safely remove the RAID and salvage one drive at least. I'm a bit pissed off that the other one has failed - it's not even 5 years old yet.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I am not sure if the previous posters made it clear enough:

DO NOT TOUCH THE DRIVES YOU HAVE NOW.

They are RAID'd requiring both to work, and possibly in their original location depending on how they were made a RAID.

What you want is what was mentioned above: External enclosure with a SATA drive - copy stuff to it then make it internal.

useless4 on
  • Options
    lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Go look at this thread.

lunchbox12682 on
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    useless4 wrote: »
    I am not sure if the previous posters made it clear enough:

DO NOT TOUCH THE DRIVES YOU HAVE NOW.

They are RAID'd requiring both to work, and possibly in their original location depending on how they were made a RAID.

What you want is what was mentioned above: External enclosure with a SATA drive - copy stuff to it then make it internal.

I obviously didn't make it clear enough, but seriously, if you value your data, don't mess with your current drives. RAID 0 distributes the data across the drives and so CAN NOT work without both drives.

If you have more SATA connections that are NOT being used by your current RAID drives, you can connect another hard drive to the unused connections. If you don't, you'll want to get an external drive or external enclosure for a drive that will hook up via USB (or Firewire or ESATA if you have those available, but USB are the most common).

Daenris on