As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Are you aware that [Predators] is getting decent reviews?

• Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Didn't he just walk up and stab that injured guy? They're not all that honourable, they don't seem to consider their 'game' any more than beasts.

And one complaint, that body they find early on? He still had his head attached.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Glyph wrote: »
    For what it's worth, I never got the soundstagey feeling from all of the outdoor shots that I did from movies like, say, Jurassic Park 3.

To be honest, the original Predator seemed to have a way more convincing jungle. The new one was actually less intimidating by comparison, despite being on another planet. Remember the dogs scene? Open area with a few trees in between? Yeah, that doesn't exactly scream "dense rainforest where something could be hiding anywhere." They really should've just cut that scene out.

There were several scenes that didn't take place in a dense rainforest. I think that was the point. The first act of the movie all they're doing is picking a direction and walking to see how much distance they can cover to try and escape the preserve. It makes sense that they would be seeing different terrain, and if they did just use samey intimidating jungle for all of those scenes, it would have made less sense.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    My biggest complaint? Who the hell is the guy using a mini-gun? He don't look like no Jesse Venture to me, only Jesse and crazy black guy can handle the might of the mini-gun.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    what was the deal with the roach filled things?

The silver thing they met in the woods that Morpheus killed presumably. From the end they seem to drop assortments of game and then go hunting.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm unsure why would just assume it's lazy writing when it's just as likely to be what the movie says it is. They're using "dogs" to flesh out their behavior. That makes perfect sense to me, and helps nail in the feeling that the Predators don't care about these humans past being interesting game.

But that's exactly the problem. You might disagree but for me the whole mystery flies out the fucking window when they're basically doing the exact same things a human hunter would do. The whole idea is that they're not human and their way of thinking is supposed to be unfamiliar and unpredictable to us on a lot of levels.

Otherwise why even make them aliens? And why send dogs to test their prey? Part of what made Predators interesting in the first place was that they usually worked alone and struck as this unseen force, not releasing very visible pack dogs to toy with people.

Say the dogs killed them all. Then what? Preds would've wasted a costly interstellar trip with nothing to show for it.

Glyph on
  • Options
    frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Say the dogs killed them all. Then what? They would've wasted a costly interstellar trip with nothing to show for it.
    Except they called the dogs back the exact moment one of the prey was going to kill herself.

I love when people do not pay attention and then blame the movie for imagined shortcomings. :P

frandelgearslip on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm unsure why would just assume it's lazy writing when it's just as likely to be what the movie says it is. They're using "dogs" to flesh out their behavior. That makes perfect sense to me, and helps nail in the feeling that the Predators don't care about these humans past being interesting game.

But that's exactly the problem. You might disagree but for me the whole mystery flies out the fucking window when they're basically doing the exact same things a human hunter would do. The whole idea is that they're not human and their way of thinking is supposed to be unfamiliar and unpredictable to us on a lot of levels.

The Predator has never been that, though. It's never been this ineffable intelligent force that behaved beyond the human capacity for understanding. Even in the first movie the only thing really "alien" about the creature is that it likes trees; other than that, it's just a vastly more capable commando that wants to kill lots of mans.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Otherwise why even make them aliens? And why send dogs to test their prey? Part of what made Predators interesting in the first place was that they usually worked alone and struck as this unseen force, not releasing very visible pack dogs to toy with people.

Say the dogs killed them all. Then what? Preds would've wasted a costly interstellar trip with nothing to show for it.

Morpheus does say that they go away, learn, go away, learn, go away, learn and become more efficient Predators. Perhaps using the dogs was something they learnt as a way to guage prey response without having a guy with a mini-gun go off on you.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

The silver thing they met in the woods that Morpheus killed presumably. From the end they seem to drop assortments of game and then go hunting.

I mean there was a to be a ton of them dropped into the woods and they seemed to be anything but dangerous?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Say the dogs killed them all. Then what? They would've wasted a costly interstellar trip with nothing to show for it.
    Except they called the dogs back the exact moment one of the prey was going to kill herself.

I love when people do not pay attention and then blame the movie for imagined shortcomings. :P

Oh for Christ's sake.
    That was definitely coincidence. You really think they went, "Oh shit one of them is about to die, quick call off the dogs!" And if that really is the case, these are the sorriest sack of Predators I've ever seen. I guess by your logic, if everyone started putting guns to their own heads, the Predators would've given them a free trip back to Earth too.

Glyph on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Oh for Christ's sake.
    That was definitely coincidence. You really think they went, "Oh shit one of them is about to die, quick call off the dogs!" And if that really is the case, these are the sorriest sack of Predators I've ever seen. I guess by your logic, if everyone started putting guns to their own heads, the Predators would've given them a free trip back to Earth too.

I thought of it more like "welp, I think we've seen enough. Call back whatever dogs haven't died so we can get to the real deal."

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Morpheus does say that they go away, learn, go away, learn, go away, learn and become more efficient Predators.

Yeah they're so efficient and learn so much and so quickly that three of them of a supposedly superior breed...
    ...can't rack up between them even half the body count of the original predator from the first film.

This is a minor quip of course and in the end I did enjoy the movie thoroughly, but that doesn't mean I'm going to overlook its rather glaring flaws.

Glyph on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2010

Oh for Christ's sake.

I'd say that the timing there was likely coincidence, but it was also pretty clear that the predators called off the dogs before the dogs had time to kill all of the earthlings. I doubt the predators would've much cared if a couple of the dozens of things they air-dropped onto their hunting range got killed by dogs.

It made decent sense to me, anyway.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I thought of it more like "welp, I think we've seen enough. Call back whatever dogs haven't died so we can get to the real deal."

I suppose it is possible that they were monitoring from one of their flying robotic cameras (ugh), but I really doubt how close their prey was to certain death played any role whatsoever in the recall.
    Or else they wouldn't have let Danny Trejo die.

Glyph on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Oh the movie totally has glaring flaws. I just don't think they're the same flaws you think they are. The third act completely loses all sense of pacing and feels almost like it was made by different people. They were able to convince me with Topher Grace but Adrien Brody's casting in the movie still feels weird in a few places. The design of the
    new Predator's face

was retarded and loses what made the original look so awesome. They did a lot wrong with the movie. But I think the first two-thirds or so did a lot right as well.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Morpheus does say that they go away, learn, go away, learn, go away, learn and become more efficient Predators.

Yeah they're so efficient and learn so much and so quickly that three of them of a supposedly superior breed...
    ...can't rack up between them even half the body count of the original predator from the first film.

This is a minor quip of course and in the end I did enjoy the movie thoroughly, but that doesn't mean I'm going to overlook its rather glaring flaws.

Well they also spent a lot of time posing and decloaking and cloaking again, they seem more like the Redneck Predators, out hunting Humies while the one that came to Earth was Ex-Green Ops Commando Predator

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The falconer Predator never really got a chance to use his robo-falcon. Which was a shame given the setup it got.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    They just wanted to show us something we'd never seen before, hence throwing in Predadogs and Super Black Predators when classic predators would've sufficed. Hence setting this in an alien jungle, even though an Earth one would've served about the same purpose. Hence giving us three predators even though that didn't seem to have made them any more lethal or mysterious, and if anything detracted from this theme.

And why is showing us a new side of the predators a bad thing? If the whole movie had been one predator versus a bunch of armed guys in an Earth jungle, it would've just been Predator. It would've been a remake, not a sequel. Predadogs were cool and made enough sense to justify their presence.

The alien planet was cool and contributed to the plot and atmosphere. it's not enough that the humans have to survive; they have to survive and figure out how to get off an alien planet. They can't just walk in one direction until they find a village, or something.

Three predators upped the threat level. The SuperPredator thing was cool and different.

I don't really get your complaints. Isn't the whole point of seeing a new movie to see something you haven't seen before?

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Well they also spent a lot of time posing and decloaking and cloaking again, they seem more like the Redneck Predators, out hunting Humies while the one that came to Earth was Ex-Green Ops Commando Predator

i am telling myself that the ones we see in the movie are just out getting their predation licenses. the one that was tied up was basically their scout master or something.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Xenomorphs
    Was that a xenomorph skull on a stick in the fire at the predator camp?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    They just wanted to show us something we'd never seen before, hence throwing in Predadogs and Super Black Predators when classic predators would've sufficed. Hence setting this in an alien jungle, even though an Earth one would've served about the same purpose. Hence giving us three predators even though that didn't seem to have made them any more lethal or mysterious, and if anything detracted from this theme.

And why is showing us a new side of the predators a bad thing? If the whole movie had been one predator versus a bunch of armed guys in an Earth jungle, it would've just been Predator. It would've been a remake, not a sequel. Predadogs were cool and made enough sense to justify their presence.

The alien planet was cool and contributed to the plot and atmosphere. it's not enough that the humans have to survive; they have to survive and figure out how to get off an alien planet. They can't just walk in one direction until they find a village, or something.

Three predators upped the threat level. The SuperPredator thing was cool and different.

I don't really get your complaints. Isn't the whole point of seeing a new movie to see something you haven't seen before?

Of course it is. I'm not saying it's bad to show us something new, I understand those motivations entirely. What I'm saying though is that there are ways to do it with more subtlety so you don't take away from what made the original great in the first place, namely the mystery and the sense of an ever-present, lurking threat. I know it's starting to sound like a broken record but compared to the first film, I just didn't feel like these characters were in as much danger.

The first film was about the threat you didn't see. This seemed more about trying to bring something fresh to the table and then putting a sign over it, as if to say, "See? SEE? We're showing you something new!" I'm saying that in the process, they undermined what made Predators so awesome when it didn't need to be that way.

Glyph on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The falconer Predator never really got a chance to use his robo-falcon. Which was a shame given the setup it got.
    I dunno... I'm not that intimidated by a robotic bird of prey.
    roboowl.jpg

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

I mean there was a to be a ton of them dropped into the woods and they seemed to be anything but dangerous?

I feel like there's a deleted scene or something that covers these things more. I mean, the boxes and roachy goo work to add a sense of alien mystery, and the one sequence with the living alien is a nice homage to the pig scene from Predator, but it still feels like there was originally more planned.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The first film was about the threat you didn't see. This seemed more about trying to bring something fresh to the table and then putting a sign over it, as if to say, "See? SEE? We're showing you something new!" I'm saying that in the process, they undermined what made Predators so awesome when it didn't need to be that way.

Fair point. But in the first film, it wasn't just the commandos who hadn't seen the predator. The audience hadn't seen it, either. This film was made from the assumption that the audience had already seen predators 1001 times before they set foot in the theater. The film could've tried to throw some more mystique into the mix and keep the predators more hidden, but the payoff when we saw them would've been a lot smaller. Because we, the audience, already know what's there.

Once upon a time, someone compared Predators to Aliens, and I think the comparison holds. Alien and Predator were horror films with some action thrown in. Aliens and Predators were action movies with some horror thrown in. I didn't feel a lot of nervous tension during the movie, but I didn't get the feeling I was really supposed to, so it was okay. The mystery was more about who was going to die next, and how the humans were going to get off the planet.

Maybe we had different expectations for the film.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Fair point. But in the first film, it wasn't just the commandos who hadn't seen the predator. The audience hadn't seen it, either. This film was made from the assumption that the audience had already seen predators 1001 times before they set foot in the theater. The film could've tried to throw some more mystique into the mix and keep the predators more hidden, but the payoff when we saw them would've been a lot smaller. Because we, the audience, already know what's there.

Once upon a time, someone compared Predators to Aliens, and I think the comparison holds. Alien and Predator were horror films with some action thrown in. Aliens and Predators were action movies with some horror thrown in. I didn't feel a lot of nervous tension during the movie, but I didn't get the feeling I was really supposed to, so it was okay. The mystery was more about who was going to die next, and how the humans were going to get off the planet.

Well things might have gone a bit better if certain points had been fleshed out more. Like why would they need three predators for a group that's smaller, less organized, less equipped and arguably less deadly than the elite black ops unit from the first film? If they were trying to sweep up an entire platoon it might make more sense. Or if they were in the middle of a Predator civil war.

Like we were told there was a blood feud, but we never really saw it. We didn't see groups of classic predators versus the super predators with humans being caught in the crossfire. These were things that could've been given more time instead of just being hinted at. I kept waiting for a scene when it just broke into an all-out plasma caster firefight between two predator groups and it never came.

It would've been nice to see more rituals involving the two subspecies but that just became another loose end, as if they weren't really sure what direction to take the film so they just sort of waded in everything without taking the plunge.

Glyph on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I feel like there's a deleted scene or something that covers these things more. I mean, the boxes and roachy goo work to add a sense of alien mystery, and the one sequence with the living alien is a nice homage to the pig scene from Predator, but it still feels like there was originally more planned.

Yeah, I have a feeling that once they saw them in action, they realized how terrible they looked and cut them. Hence why you only get a glimpse of it in action and why they don't show much of it once it's dead.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well things might have gone a bit better if certain points had been fleshed out more. Like why would they need three predators for a group that's smaller, less organized, less equipped and arguably less deadly than the elite black ops unit from the first film? If they were trying to sweep up an entire platoon it might make more sense. Or if they were in the middle of a Predator civil war.

Like we were told there was a blood feud, but we never really saw it. We didn't see groups of classic predators versus the super predators with humans being caught in the crossfire. These were things that could've been given more time instead of just being hinted at. I kept waiting for a scene when it just broke into an all-out plasma caster firefight between two predator groups and it never came.

It would've been nice to see more rituals involving the two subspecies but that just became another loose end, as if they weren't really sure what direction to take the film so they just sort of waded in everything without taking the plunge.

I feel like these criticisms are still missing the mark. The Pred vs. Pred thing isn't a loose end, it's central to the climax of the movie. Sure we could have had a huge Predator civil war in the movie but that's completely unnecessary and doesn't fit with the idea of the setting being a planetary hunt. The three Predators are there not just to hunt humans but to hunt whatever else they brought to the planet. We know that in addition to our human characters the three big bad guys were hunting at least one other Predator, along with any number of those gray humanoid things and whatever those skinned corpses at the camp were (wild Pred-dogs?).

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    In my opinion, a Predator laser plasma civil war battle in the movie would have been incredibly lame.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Regarding the flower: I have done some exciting script diving.

As in the movie, it's called archaefructus liaoningensis. What's not mentioned in the movie (but is true and mentioned in the script) is that it's an extinct plant from the late Jurassic or early Cretaceous. As far as I can tell there've only been impression fossils found, so it's impossible to know if it contained any sort of neurotoxin...but it also doesn't look like a flowering bulge with a fin of spines like the movie.

The implication being that the Predators' game preserve is very old.

President Rex on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Oh for Christ's sake.

I'd say that the timing there was likely coincidence, but it was also pretty clear that the predators called off the dogs before the dogs had time to kill all of the earthlings. I doubt the predators would've much cared if a couple of the dozens of things they air-dropped onto their hunting range got killed by dogs.

It made decent sense to me, anyway.

Actually, the impression I got was
    They used the dogs as a distraction. Everyone buddied up when they scattered, except the cartel guy. The Predator got the guy who went it alone. He's gotten is prey from that attack, so he called off the dogs. It was a coincidence that he called them off right as she was about to top herself.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    - Post-effects. Because the in-camera work was so good, the photoshopped stuff looked so much worse in comparison. Nothing about the CGI "dogs" looked real or had any weight at all. Same goes for many of the "green blood" effects.

I would like to point out that the green blood was made in all the movies with a mixture of glowstick fluid and KY jelly. The glow was not added later.

I know for a fact this isn't true. I distinctly remember a scene in the first movie when the blood was left unaltered and was neither green, nor glowy.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    - Post-effects. Because the in-camera work was so good, the photoshopped stuff looked so much worse in comparison. Nothing about the CGI "dogs" looked real or had any weight at all. Same goes for many of the "green blood" effects.

I would like to point out that the green blood was made in all the movies with a mixture of glowstick fluid and KY jelly. The glow was not added later.

I know for a fact this isn't true. I distinctly remember a scene in the first movie when the blood was left unaltered and was neither green, nor glowy.

I remember hearing they had to replace it a lot. But I'm not exactly some movie expert or anything.

fake edit: wikipedia seems to agree with the ky jelly / glowstick thing. But I mean, I'm pretty sure they could have used something else in one scene or something.

real edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVBzkinUTqE

Pretty cool. I imagine it's cheaper than special effects ;).

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    edited July 2010

i am telling myself that the ones we see in the movie are just out getting their predation licenses. the one that was tied up was basically their scout master or something.

It was a hunting preserve. These were the Dick Cheneys of the Predator home world.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If it was a clan rivalry that doesn't mean civil war, it just means 2 clans don't like each other.

override367 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

The wiki page for Predator says they used the glow-stick/KY stuff for the blood. It also says they needed to make a shit-ton of it because it dried really quickly. Maybe it also lost its glow quickly when open to air, so what you saw was some "expired" blood?

edit: beatified

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Perhaps the film could've been made tighter, but I think the film you wanted to see was not the film they wanted to make. The plot was intentionally light; this was not a plot-driven movie. It was a movie about a bunch of monsters trying to kill humans for sport. It was about characters and tension and graphic action violence. Along the way they made a few attempts to deepen the mythology, which worked with varying degrees of effectiveness. But I think dedicating more time to the blood feud would've been a bad idea in this film, even if it might be cool to see in a different film.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

The wiki page for Predator says they used the glow-stick/KY stuff for the blood. It also says they needed to make a shit-ton of it because it dried really quickly. Maybe it also lost its glow quickly when open to air, so what you saw was some "expired" blood?

edit: beatified

Well, we all know how reliable Wiki can be, but that's very possible. I've been meaning to rewatch Predator again anyway, so I'll just keep an eye out for that, so I can post the time frame.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Anyone else notice Lawrence Fishburne's character singing Ride of the Valkyries at one point?

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Nucker wrote: »
    I'm gonna have me some fun. I'm gonna have me some fun.

There was talk earlier about Mac's freaking out in Predator--when he starts wheezing this song, that was my favorite part. Thinking about it, Bill Duke probably put out the best acting in that show.

I love that whole bit. In fact, every time I pick up a minigun in any game and start unloading bullets, I bust out with at least one Predator quote (alternating between "Ol Painless is waitin'" and "Gonna have me some fun").

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hmm, I got the idea that the alien spiky dogs weren't the Predator's pets, I think they may have just been another alien dropped there by this Pred clan as something else to hunt. Take for example, I don't need to have dogs as pets for the dog whistle I blow to have an effect on the dogs hearing it. This could also fit with why there was what looked like a skinned, hung spiky dog in the Pred camp/shrine.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png