As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Are you aware that [Predators] is getting decent reviews?

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh man, also: jeez use practical explosives guys. The explosions in this looked incredibly poor.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    and, thems hooting guns and not hitting things IS what happened.

and in Predator they shot the same gun, hit no one, and made it look awesome.

Over all, it's the same technical issues as that Knight and Day bullshit movie. Stuff works, only when the plot allows it.

so it didn't look awesome enough, got it.

can you accept that this is a different movie and they were in a different situation than in predator? maybe building up this crew of badasses wasn't the intent, but instead it was to show us how likely it was that they'd all die.

stuff only working when it suits the plot can be said of nearly any movie ever made, certainly a lot of action movies, even ones considered great.
    a predator took five grenades to the face and was stunned while a pistol made another bleed. This shit doesn't follow consistency in it's own damn universe.
    Oh man, also: jeez use practical explosives guys. The explosions in this looked incredibly poor.

no kidding. That CG blast in the relic looked fucking atrocious.

It's an action movie, I at least expect the action to be of presentable quality.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Also apparently these people don't know how frag grenades work because there is no way, no way, anything could have taken a half-dozen of them to the chest and gotten back up. Because it's entire body would have been shredded.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah the grenade part was a lot like watching superheroes punching each other and flying backwards instead of punching through each other like they should.

Still, all the quibbles I have with the film are minor ones. I'll take a dozen of these over another AvP travesty any day.

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Exarch wrote: »
    Yeah the grenade part was a lot like watching superheroes punching each other and flying backwards instead of punching through each other like they should.

Still, all the quibbles I have with the film are minor ones. I'll take a dozen of these over another AvP travesty any day.

Well... that's not much of a bar to set.
    I guess i'd still recommend it for a rental, it's bound to be better then a lot of the cheesy action flicks if that's what you feel like watching.

Also
    I fought so hard not to yell out FATALITY when they killed agent orange

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    NuckerNucker Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I still think my greatest joy from this movie was that they didn't fuck it up. Not only didn't they fuck it up, they did a pretty decent job of it--for people willing to overlook the minor inconsistencies, they did a great job.

They brought the human element back, they expanded the predators lore--I think they did a good job of moving away from the honorable warrior trend, since these guys were more like poachers than warriors. It was fun and a worthy sequal, whereas AvP and AvP 2 were boring, hackneyed and unsatisfying in about every possible way.

This movie makes further sequals possible in good faith--this makes me happy.

Nucker on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    edit: Oh, and is there like one Predator sitting at an office looking through craigslist for people to kill? I mean I get some of the guys, you just go to a war zone and abduct a bad ass, but finding guys on FBI's most wanted list? These guys are hard for humans to find, let alone aliens.

The guy on FBI's most wanted list was two days from death row. Not difficult to find.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    edit: Oh, and is there like one Predator sitting at an office looking through craigslist for people to kill? I mean I get some of the guys, you just go to a war zone and abduct a bad ass, but finding guys on FBI's most wanted list? These guys are hard for humans to find, let alone aliens.

The guy on FBI's most wanted list was two days from death row. Not difficult to find.
    more the serial killer
    for an alien though? How would you even know what they are? It's just some guys in orange jumpers in a box, how do they know that they're bad-asses and not snacks for other humans? I mean we do cook them in the end.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

more the serial killer
    for an alien though? How would you even know what they are? It's just some guys in orange jumpers in a box, how do they know that they're bad-asses and not snacks for other humans? I mean we do cook them in the end.

They speak English.

And have invisible space ships.

I imagine hanging around a city having your ship's computer look out for murders being committed would not be much of an effort compared to terraforming a moon/planet just to make a hunting preserve.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Why are we still putting everything in spoilers? It's out now, surely we can do away with such things?

It's been out for three days dude, jesus christ.

Standard practice is that as soon as it's out we stop doing spoilers. I wondered if there was a special reason (delayed release in a major territory or something)

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Standard practice is that as soon as it's out we stop doing spoilers. I wondered if there was a special reason (delayed release in a major territory or something)

Standard practice where?

Because that's a dick move.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

Standard practice where?

Because that's a dick move.

why would you be reading this thread right now if you haven't seen it?

you put [spoilers] in the thread title of course.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Because you want to know if it's any good? And yeah, you don't start omitting the tags until there's [spoilers] in the thread title.

Glal on
  • Options
    BarksBarks __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    I just got back from seeing it. Isn't even in the same discussion as Predator 1, nowhere close, and it probably wasn't quite as good as Predator 2 though pretty close.
    The thing about it is half of it is like a direct remake of the first movie, and even then none of the characters besides Brody and Fishburne are as interesting as the characters in P1. The Predators didn't seem as fearsome as the Predator in the first movie, especially when the Yakuza guy actually killed one in a straight up sword duel. There were just a lot of character development, plot, and pacing issues, and along with the lack of originality the movie didn't really deliver like I wished it would have. Still leagues better than the AVP stuff, though. And Brody was fantastic, I'd even say he compares to Arnold as far as action-star credibility.

edit: Someone mentioned Billie's death scene in the first movie not being shown, and that it's better the way it is in the new one. I think in this case, not seeing Billie's death built up tension far far more. It left it up to your imagination what happened to him. Made the Predator that much scarier.

Barks on
    madmensignaturePA.jpg
  • Options
    NuckerNucker Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Barks wrote: »
    ...none of the characters besides Brody and Fishburne are as interesting as the characters in P1.

Interesting how? You have the leader and the CIA guy, friends turned unwilling allies--okay dynamic. The buddies, Mac and Sexual Tyrannosaurus. The Indian Tracker. But then you have the woman prisoner, the radio guy and the boy scout dude who doesn't even get the chance to fight back.

The new movie doesn't necessarily offer up deep character development, but the premise that these are a group of people who really have no reason to trust each other and are only working together because something worse is trying to kill all of them works. Also, each individual character has some development, even if only a few funny one-liners.
    Barks wrote:
    And Brody was fantastic, I'd even say he compares to Arnold as far as action-star credibility.

Watch the Dark Knight and then watch Predators again--Brody was trying to be Batman. As far as the fight scenes go, he did well, but the "acting" involved was pretty forced.
    Barks wrote:
    edit: Someone mentioned Billie's death scene in the first movie not being shown, and that it's better the way it is in the new one. I think in this case, not seeing Billie's death built up tension far far more. It left it up to your imagination what happened to him. Made the Predator that much scarier.

This, I think, is just a matter of opinion on what works well. If you want tension, what you said makes sense. I think things were plenty tense at that point, though, and rather than blowing off some of that tension with a fight scene (and under-cutting Arnold's melee fight) they chose to just have Billie death-scream. It works, but...
    ...it's obvious that they can have two melee fight scenes and still maintain the tension. People that want action rather than tension probably would've appreciated getting to watch Billie duke it out with the Predator.

Nucker on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Great movie and only complaint I really ever had was at the end.
    So he sets up the fires to blind the predator and begins beating it sensless with an Alien Axe/Club thing. If it could sever limbs why the hell when he was winning wasn't cutting it the hell up. And two. He had his HUGE FUCKING BOWIE KNIFE ON HIS HIP THAT BEHEADS ALIEN DOGS. But its a Pred movie and disbelief for awesome is just something you have to take.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Billy didn't seem like the type to yell in pain. He was the stone-cold, down-to-business expert on the team. The Predator could have gutted him with a foot long knife an Billy wouldn't have uttered a whimper so his death squeal in the movie was that much more terrifying. I imagine the Predator ripped Billy's arm off and slapped him around with it.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Nucker wrote: »
    Example:
    The set-up for the Yakuza's sword fight. He stops in an open area. He takes off his shirt. He draws a melee weapon. The others stop for a moment, then keep running forward (not to mention the group running forward consists of two men and a woman). If you listen to this scene and the one from the original, even the music for the two scenes is exactly the same, probably down to the time signature. This was the most blatant one, I thought, and it just sort of rubbed me wrong.

Or this:
    Fishburn's entrance with the: "Over here, turn around."

Those 2 were total fanservice.
    People were pissed at not getting to see Billy fight the Predator. though they needed to skip that fight to keep the big melee fight for the finale (and the pacing worked better for it), the Yakuza guy basically just felt like an apology fight for missing that scene. I still totally dug it though.

And the 'Over here' and 'Turn around' are pretty recognizable for people who liked the other two movies but don't necessarily sit on message boards. Something for them to go 'hey, I remember that!'.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, just saw the movie, that was some good fun.
    I like to think that with the ending being what it was that Royce and Isabelle just end up replacing Noland, who knows, maybe even start some little alien planet human tribe that scavenges Predator and other alien/human's tech that gets dumped there.

Also, I think the whole dead man switch thing had a little extra put on it with this addition to the Predator lore, IMHO, they blow themselves up (or their ship in this movie), not to be a dick but so their tech doesn't fall into the hands of other species they use for their predatory needs. Probably with good reason, seems like Weyland-Yutani is the result. Of course that doesn't fit with the AvP lady but given how others here seem to hate that movie / novels / comics so much, I don't think anyone has a problem with anything that contradicts that material on some level.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I saw the movie last night. I enjoyed a few parts but overall found it to be pretty mediocre. The review at SomethingAwful sums up most of my major complaints about it.

Laurence Fishburne was definitely the best part of the movie though.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Nucker wrote: »
    ...none of the characters besides Brody and Fishburne are as interesting as the characters in P1.

Interesting how? You have the leader and the CIA guy, friends turned unwilling allies--okay dynamic. The buddies, Mac and Sexual Tyrannosaurus. The Indian Tracker. But then you have the woman prisoner, the radio guy and the boy scout dude who doesn't even get the chance to fight back.

The new movie doesn't necessarily offer up deep character development, but the premise that these are a group of people who really have no reason to trust each other and are only working together because something worse is trying to kill all of them works. Also, each individual character has some development, even if only a few funny one-liners.
    Barks wrote:
    And Brody was fantastic, I'd even say he compares to Arnold as far as action-star credibility.

Watch the Dark Knight and then watch Predators again--Brody was trying to be Batman. As far as the fight scenes go, he did well, but the "acting" involved was pretty forced.
    Barks wrote:

This, I think, is just a matter of opinion on what works well. If you want tension, what you said makes sense. I think things were plenty tense at that point, though, and rather than blowing off some of that tension with a fight scene (and under-cutting Arnold's melee fight) they chose to just have Billie death-scream. It works, but...
    ...it's obvious that they can have two melee fight scenes and still maintain the tension. People that want action rather than tension probably would've appreciated getting to watch Billie duke it out with the Predator.

The first Predator movie is all about tension and buildup, so not showing Billie's death scene and only hearing his scream was brilliant. Like the other guy said, he was a badass and for him to scream at something means whatever he was up against must be far far worse than him. That's what raises the stakes for the final Arnold vs. Pred fight. The movie is filled with little stuff like this that Predators was kind of lazy about. Like Jesse Ventura with the "I ain't got time to bleed" line, and his mannerisms, etc. All of those little things aid to the character development and plot buildup. Predators was a lot more sparse.

I was a fan of the Batman voice in TDK, I thought it worked really well, so if Brody is trying to emulate that at all I don't have a problem with it. Even though I don't really see the comparison in the first place, I thought he sounded perfectly fine throughout. It never felt forced to me.

Barks on
    madmensignaturePA.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Oh, and funnily enough my two favorite parts from the movie are on youtube:

Barks on
    madmensignaturePA.jpg
  • Options
    fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So...
    What exactly was that thing with the bugs crawling out of it?

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    fmz65 wrote: »
    So...
    What exactly was that thing with the bugs crawling out of it?
    I got the impression it was just something else they dropped in to hunt. If you look into the sky at the end, they're dropping in more humans on chutes and more bit cargo containers. So it seems they drop anything they find worthy of hunting.

I also got the impression the humans weren't meant to be hunted as a team, which is why they didn't grab say, a team of SEALs or something. it was just by the power of Plot that they all buddied up.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think I have an idea for a sequel.

Glyph on
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Glyph wrote: »

As silly as that is, you know... that... that wouldn't be a bad movie at all. Hell, I'd see the shit out of it.

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Caedere wrote: »

As silly as that is, you know... that... that wouldn't be a bad movie at all. Hell, I'd see the shit out of it.

pfft. the na'vi would get their asses handed to them. i think what makes humans worthy prey goes beyond our guns. it's our own ingenuity when it comes to killing. i don't think a bunch of space alien hippies are going to provide much of a challenge.

i'd be very interested though in seeing preds take on some colonial marines. the fact that out of all the AvP and alien movies we only have ONE film containing colonial marines is a travesty.

Guek on
  • Options
    GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Guek wrote: »
    Caedere wrote: »

pfft. the na'vi would get their asses handed to them. i think what makes humans worthy prey goes beyond our guns. it's our own ingenuity when it comes to killing. i don't think a bunch of space alien hippies are going to provide much of a challenge.

i'd be very interested though in seeing preds take on some colonial marines. the fact that out of all the AvP and alien movies we only have ONE film containing colonial marines is a travesty.

Hollywood knows it's a winning combination.

That's why they're consciously avoiding it.

They hate the viewing public. And money.

Glyph on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm still convinced a movie set on the Predator homeworld with just straight up Predators fighting Aliens with subtitles for when Preds talk to eachother would be fucking amazing. Kind of like that one scene in AVP1.

edit: This is cool. Best dad ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9h03bswU9Y&feature=related

Barks on
    madmensignaturePA.jpg
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »

Billy didn't seem like the type to yell in pain. He was the stone-cold, down-to-business expert on the team. The Predator could have gutted him with a foot long knife an Billy wouldn't have uttered a whimper so his death squeal in the movie was that much more terrifying. I imagine the Predator ripped Billy's arm off and slapped him around with it.

Agreed, this is what made Billy's death so effective.

Speaking of the original Predator, I love when Mac goes insane. Not the minigun scene necessarily, but his general descent into madness.

"I'm gonna carve your name into him. I'm gonna carve your name into him."

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    LaurlunaLaurluna Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Let me further increase your love then by informing you that mac is actually saying:

"I'm gonna' cut his name in two....I'm gonna' cut yo' name in two..."

(night scene on post watching over the dead body. Talking "to himself".)

He is so hurt over the loss of his friend that simply "killing" the predator isn't going to curb his anguish...

Absolutly love that movie....

"I seeee youuu..."

Edit: hmmm, having been interested in this, I checked wikiquote... they have it down the way you've written it...

WHELP, have to watch the badass movie again, just to be sure...!

Laurluna on
    Being casually elitist in WoW since 2005.
    First Blood 85 Priest 80 Mage 85 Paladin 83 Druid 80 DK 85 Huntard 85 Shaman
    "Tardo Wan" sounds like a Jedi that required 436 years to train and then killed himself by looking into his lightsaber while turning it on."
  • Options
    ZafinaZafina Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Saw it last night. Overall I liked it as a popcorn action movie with a badass movie monster. But I think the plot was kind of weak. The movie seemed to suffer from too much and too little exposition if that makes any sense. The whole being on an alien game preserve planet took too much film time to explain believably and I think it would of been better if it was just dropped all together. Conversely, not enough time was spent establishing the human characters and the group dynamics I really didn't care for them as body parts started flying.

I'm going to say this is about equal to predator 2 and way better then any of the avp movies. On a side note I saw the trailer for scott pilgrim vs the world before the movie. I haven't been brought to such murderous rage from a trailer in a long time. I wish ill on everyone related to that film.

Edit: Nothing too bad mind you. Maybe like a flat tire at most.

Zafina on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What's wrong with the Scott Pilgrim trailer?

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    unknownsome1unknownsome1 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I saw the movie just a couple of days ago. Saturday more specifically.

It's a good movie overall and I liked the overall concept. There could have been more action though and it gave a few nods to the first Predator film.

unknownsome1 on
  • Options
    fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I liked the blatant shout out to...
    Arnold in the jungle.

If only they incorporated Danny Glover somehow... (and wasn't Busey in the 2nd one too?)

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • Options
    unknownsome1unknownsome1 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    fmz65 wrote: »
    I liked the blatant shout out to...
    Arnold in the jungle.

If only they incorporated Danny Glover somehow... (and wasn't Busey in the 2nd one too?)

Busey was in the 2nd one. I remember seeing a quick scene of him in it while flipping channels.

unknownsome1 on
  • Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I enjoyed the film overall. My main issue was
    the ending. I can't say I was a big fan of them just "being trapped" on the planet and being hunted until they die. It felt like a Daybreakers style cash in to me imo. I was hoping that they would escape and make the second film based on Lawrence Fishbourne's character in form a prequel. That would be very entertaining imo.

Waffles or whatever on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Zafina wrote: »
    On a side note I saw the trailer for scott pilgrim vs the world before the movie. I haven't been brought to such murderous rage from a trailer in a long time. I wish ill on everyone related to that film.

Hey.

HEY.

You don't get to wish ill on Edgar Wright. EVER.

Predators was pretty good. Not quite on the level with the first one, but definitely in line with the second and a great way to wash the awful terrible taste of the AvP movies out of my mind.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Zafina wrote: »
    On a side note I saw the trailer for scott pilgrim vs the world before the movie. I haven't been brought to such murderous rage from a trailer in a long time. I wish ill on everyone related to that film.

Hey.

HEY.

You don't get to wish ill on Edgar Wright. EVER.

Predators was pretty good. Not quite on the level with the first one, but definitely in line with the second and a great way to wash the awful terrible taste of the AvP movies out of my mind.

While AvP was terrible AvP 2 wasn't as bad. I mean, it was a B movie. Ironically for a B Movie it was a lot better than AvP.

Waffles or whatever on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Waffen wrote: »
    While AvP was terrible AvP 2 wasn't as bad. I mean, it was a B movie. Ironically for a B Movie it was a lot better than AvP.

AvP 2 was okay for a B monster movie, and it had some entertaining action. It just crossed the line for me...
    With the kid at the start getting face hugged and the baby factories at the end.

-Loki- on