As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Are you aware that [Predators] is getting decent reviews?

• Options
    Cargo OccultistCargo Occultist Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Glyph wrote: »
    I think I have an idea for a sequel.

No, forget that. Predators vs. District 9 Prawns, all the way! Especially if they put a smart Prawn as the leader. With their lightning guns, it'd be a fair fight!

Cargo Occultist on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Waffen wrote: »
    Zafina wrote: »
    On a side note I saw the trailer for scott pilgrim vs the world before the movie. I haven't been brought to such murderous rage from a trailer in a long time. I wish ill on everyone related to that film.

Hey.

HEY.

You don't get to wish ill on Edgar Wright. EVER.

Predators was pretty good. Not quite on the level with the first one, but definitely in line with the second and a great way to wash the awful terrible taste of the AvP movies out of my mind.

While AvP was terrible AvP 2 wasn't as bad. I mean, it was a B movie. Ironically for a B Movie it was a lot better than AvP.

see, i felt AvP was pretty much the definition of mediocre but AvP:R was nigh unwatchable. i can't think of a single good thing about that movie.

Guek on
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    AvP: Requiem was awful.

I wanted to see Aliens fighting Predators, not One Tree Hill and oh yeah, here's some gore.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So my thoughts on it
    Awesome start. For the whole sci-fi premise it did a lot to make it feel grounded and intriguing. I'm glad they had some restraint and didn't show any Predators until it could really work up steam and gave us enough time to be familiar with all the cast members. Overall though I think they had too many plot elements that they could keep up with and really explore in any meaningful way. This really became obvious when they met Noland and got taken back to the alien building. I was super-stoked since this opened up all kinds of interesting possibilities. Then they rubbed out the wild card, returned to the jungle, hell returned to the shrine area and just replayed the same moments over and over (the decision to abandon Danny Trejo and then Topher and then Topher and the chick.) If they had stayed in the alien building it could be an interesting change of scenery and it'd be a chance to expand on the nature of conflict or the hunt. The sort of dependence and aggression that could result from a fight that absorbs two entities entirely. Imagine being completely stranded without any hope of ever returning home and having to fight for your life every day. It seems to me like the drive to win would be the only thing keeping a person from despairing just by having a purpose to keep going. By setting up a reliable hero character, Adrien Brody, and introducing a character that has been sent over the edge it gives the audience a way to observe said extremist character without being alienated by the film entirely. And by having a more moderate foil it makes the other seem all the more crazy in contrast.

Another obvious example of this; Topher's character. From the very beginning he's another wild card. Why is this guy here? He must be super fuckin crafty to keep up with a bunch of gun-totin commandos in the middle of the jungle with just a scalpel and the shirt he's got on his back. This is all resolved with one trick they set up an hour before and a couple lines of monologue about being a murderer and belonging on the planet. Then he's taken out and they recycle another trick from before, (grenades left on a dying prey) even though they already told us that Predators learn really quick.

tl;dr a smarter than average action sci-fi flick that adds a few new extra elements to the Predators canon but suffers from too many loose strings

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
  • Options
    MaverikkMaverikk Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Then he's taken out and they recycle another trick from before, (grenades left on a dying prey) even though they already told us that Predators learn really quick.

The Predators are just humans with a shifted morality and advanced equipment. Seeing as they're not an advanced robotic race, they still suffer from complacency. Maybe they learned a trick or two, that still doesn't prevent them from making really dumb decisions from time to time.

Also, I call the AvP movies abominations as much as anyone, but they're like eating that last intact buffalo wing you accidentally threw away. If you're really careful, if you're just so meticulous, you can reach in their and pull it out perfect and disease-free. This comes in the form of just youtubing awesome scenes, i.e. the part in AvP2 where the Predator shoots hot plasma onto an alien that in turn blows up in an acidic spray upon the generic jock. High-five Predator.

Maverikk on
  • Options
    fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Maverikk wrote: »
    Then he's taken out and they recycle another trick from before, (grenades left on a dying prey) even though they already told us that Predators learn really quick.

The Predators are just humans with a shifted morality and advanced equipment. Seeing as they're not an advanced robotic race, they still suffer from complacency. Maybe they learned a trick or two, that still doesn't prevent them from making really dumb decisions from time to time.

Also, I call the AvP movies abominations as much as anyone, but they're like eating that last intact buffalo wing you accidentally threw away. If you're really careful, if you're just so meticulous, you can reach in their and pull it out perfect and disease-free. This comes in the form of just youtubing awesome scenes, i.e. the part in AvP2 where the Predator shoots hot plasma onto an alien that in turn blows up in an acidic spray upon the generic jock. High-five Predator.

Another thing to remember is the other predators didn't see that tactic. They just know an explosion happened.

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    So i finally get to post. Loved it, think it was a worth addition to the franchise if a little light on the Predators themselves and got the Predator franchise itself back on track. Only complaint would be that it seemed very subdued in terms of violence, one one spine tear.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well, just saw the movie, that was some good fun.
    I like to think that with the ending being what it was that Royce and Isabelle just end up replacing Noland, who knows, maybe even start some little alien planet human tribe that scavenges Predator and other alien/human's tech that gets dumped there.

Also, I think the whole dead man switch thing had a little extra put on it with this addition to the Predator lore, IMHO, they blow themselves up (or their ship in this movie), not to be a dick but so their tech doesn't fall into the hands of other species they use for their predatory needs. Probably with good reason, seems like Weyland-Yutani is the result. Of course that doesn't fit with the AvP lady but given how others here seem to hate that movie / novels / comics so much, I don't think anyone has a problem with anything that contradicts that material on some level.

When their tech falls into alien hands you wind up creating Weyland-Yutani (See: Concrete Jungle)

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2010
    Saw it last night, and thought it was a pretty spiffy little action/sci-fi/horror flick. Two severed spines up.

One question/quibble:
    So doctor boy sees some weird-ass alien plant, and recognizes the species? Does this imply that the Predators populated this planet with plant species from Earth, or are we supposed to believe that the same species of plants just happened to evolve on completely separate planets? Or are we just not supposed to think about it too hard?

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Saw it last night, and thought it was a pretty spiffy little action/sci-fi/horror flick. Two severed spines up.

One question/quibble:
    So doctor boy sees some weird-ass alien plant, and recognizes the species? Does this imply that the Predators populated this planet with plant species from Earth, or are we supposed to believe that the same species of plants just happened to evolve on completely separate planets? Or are we just not supposed to think about it too hard?

I just thought he recognised similar characteristics. I mean it was an environment hospitable to humans, it makes sense that if the forest was growing like that, other similar plants would to.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    NuckerNucker Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

One question/quibble:

We're probably not supposed to think about it too hard, but it makes sense that the predators would make a hunting preserve with various types of foreign flora as well as fauna. Maybe they took a chunk of Earth, maybe they just engineered a fancy environment. Maybe they Harry Potter'd that shit.

Nucker on
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, just saw the movie, that was some good fun.
    I like to think that with the ending being what it was that Royce and Isabelle just end up replacing Noland, who knows, maybe even start some little alien planet human tribe that scavenges Predator and other alien/human's tech that gets dumped there.

Also, I think the whole dead man switch thing had a little extra put on it with this addition to the Predator lore, IMHO, they blow themselves up (or their ship in this movie), not to be a dick but so their tech doesn't fall into the hands of other species they use for their predatory needs. Probably with good reason, seems like Weyland-Yutani is the result. Of course that doesn't fit with the AvP lady but given how others here seem to hate that movie / novels / comics so much, I don't think anyone has a problem with anything that contradicts that material on some level.

When their tech falls into alien hands you wind up creating Weyland-Yutani (See: Concrete Jungle)

Yeah, that is my impression as well. The contradiction I was referring to was when the Pred hands the lady a staff spear thing at the end of AvP. The hand cannon ending up in the hands of the decedents of Weyland-Yutani seems less contradictory with Preds blowing their shit up, since I guess that Preds aren't aware that the tech survived the blast zone.
    Nucker wrote: »

One question/quibble:

We're probably not supposed to think about it too hard, but it makes sense that the predators would make a hunting preserve with various types of foreign flora as well as fauna. Maybe they took a chunk of Earth, maybe they just engineered a fancy environment. Maybe they Harry Potter'd that shit.

Well, I tend to think of it that its a bit of earth greenhouse / transplanted / terraformed stuff in there or I can't seem to reconcile how
    Noland survives there for the number of seasons he did - what would he eat or drink or breath if there wasn't enough in common with earth for his body to break down for nutrition and what not? Even cannibalism probably wouldn't have kept him alive that long.
    But that is probably thinking about it too much, still fun to think about though IMHO.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

One question/quibble:

I think his observation is meant to infer that they populated the planet with earth flora, at least partially. Pretty sure that
    Grace's character says it is the same plant. Hell, I'd not be surprised if they planted it their for him exclusively, it almost seems like it may have been something he used regularly on his victims, given his familiarity with it.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I didn't understand why
    none of the team questioned Topher about his knife when he whipped it out and dipped it into that plant - he'd just said a few minutes prior that he had no way to cut himself down from his parachute

I liked the movie, and hope that we see a sequel at some point.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I didn't understand why
    none of the team questioned Topher about his knife when he whipped it out and dipped it into that plant - he'd just said a few minutes prior that he had no way to cut himself down from his parachute

Maybe the knife was pinned in place due to his weight (haven't see the movie)

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lanz wrote: »

One question/quibble:

I think his observation is meant to infer that they populated the planet with earth flora, at least partially. Pretty sure that
    Grace's character says it is the same plant. Hell, I'd not be surprised if they planted it their for him exclusively, it almost seems like it may have been something he used regularly on his victims, given his familiarity with it.
    I know in movie-speak, "doctor" is just slang for generic smart person, but I've never met a physician with such intimate knowledge of random exotic plants. That he recognized it immediately seemed odd, but that it was there in the first place was odder still. It definitely seemed like a plot oversight, as none of the explanations seem tenable given the little information offered in the film.

rndmhero on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Wasn't it a little pocket knife? Against flesh its ok but I dont know about thick material.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    I didn't understand why

Maybe the knife was pinned in place due to his weight (haven't see the movie)
    I'm not entirely sure a scalpel could cut through that easily. It's made for cutting open flesh, not sawing whatever fibers are making up your alien-made parachutes

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wasn't it a little pocket knife? Against flesh its ok but I dont know about thick material.

Looked like a scalpel to me. A little random to have on your person unless...

Taramoor on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Looked like a swiss army knife to me, Id find a scalpel more suspect.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    it was definitely a scalpel.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah it was a scalpel. Doesn't make his character any more credible though.
    He wanted to live on the killer planet even after needing his ass saved on at least four separate occasions. Even for a psychopath that is DUMB. Anyone in his position would more likely want to get off the rock where everything can kill him and back to society where he's once again top of the food chain.

Glyph on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lanz wrote: »
    it was definitely a scalpel.

I've yet to see a switch blade scalpel.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, it wasn't a scalpel. He definitely pulled the played out a la swiss army knife.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, it wasn't a scalpel. He definitely pulled the played out a la swiss army knife.

Movie image--this, my friend, is a scalpel. Not a swiss army knife.

Nucker on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well unless they have retractable scalpels (they don't) I'm not sure what to tell you.

And by retractable I mean swiss army knife style.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Is that an advertising image or an actual image from the movie? Because things were different in the film than what was shown in advertising. Also thats not exactly the clearest image ever. If my net wasn't being so slow I'd go find an actual screencap of it but Id swear he flipped it out of a larger body, otherwise hed be stabbing himself in th eleg throughout the film.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    While he's holding it like one, it sure doesn't look like one. Scalpels have long handles like pen-knives to make them easier to use (notice the lack of a handle?). And he definitely un-folds it.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm on Team [strike]Edward[/strike] Scalpel.

Saw it last night and it was pretty much what I expected it to be so I enjoyed it. Though there was some minor points that made me and my equally annoying geek friends roll our eyes, we gave it a 3/5 it.

I kept hearing the voice from Mortal Kombat inside my head everytime something violent happend "Finish him!" "Fatality!" "Flawless Victory!" "Test your might!" etc.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This movie was really fun, one of the best action/suspense movies I've seen in a long while. It features a demonstrated mastery of....

i) Understatement - You see just enough to understand what you need to of what is going on, but not one piece more.
    ii) Timing - The deaths are unpredictable, dramatic and sometimes unexpected.
    iii) Payoff - Once the monster is revealed, the action gives you a few scenes where it is clearly visible, and the Predator uses all the tools at it's disposal, in a vaguely logical way.

Everything just works nicely together, oh, and you;ll also notice that they RESISTED THE URGE TO USE SHAKYcams! Hurrah, so the movie is cleanly shot and can be watched without feeling like it was shot by some nutcase with a videophone. No zooms to a knee, no half shot of trees totally obscuring the action, just well chosen camera angles.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2010
    I have a knife pretty much exactly like that one, size and shape and everything. I am reasonably sure that my knife is not a scalpel. And also, yes, it is freaking retractable. Scalpels are not.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have a knife pretty much exactly like that one, size and shape and everything. I am reasonably sure that my knife is not a scalpel. And also, yes, it is freaking retractable. Scalpels are not.

I bet it will be revealed he had two totally different knives. And then we all feel horrible for arguing about it and promise never to fight over such things again.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    tbloxham wrote: »
    This movie was really fun, one of the best action/suspense movies I've seen in a long while. It features a demonstrated mastery of....

i) Understatement - You see just enough to understand what you need to of what is going on, but not one piece more.
    ii) Timing - The deaths are unpredictable, dramatic and sometimes unexpected.
    iii) Payoff - Once the monster is revealed, the action gives you a few scenes where it is clearly visible, and the Predator uses all the tools at it's disposal, in a vaguely logical way.

Everything just works nicely together, oh, and you;ll also notice that they RESISTED THE URGE TO USE SHAKYcams! Hurrah, so the movie is cleanly shot and can be watched without feeling like it was shot by some nutcase with a videophone. No zooms to a knee, no half shot of trees totally obscuring the action, just well chosen camera angles.

I was about to unleash a torrent of insults on you but then I realized I'm in the Predators thread not the Airbender thread

Absolutely agree, omfg i hate shaky cams and I love action scenes where you can see what the fuck is going on (*cough* transformers 2 *cough*)

override367 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

I bet it will be revealed he had two totally different knives. And then we all feel horrible for arguing about it and promise never to fight over such things again.

*slaps you in the face with a white glove*

The reveal be damned, sir! We duel tomorrow at dawn, scalpels!

Nucker on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

No, Knives!

Taramoor on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Taramoor wrote: »

No, Knives!

Scalpel season!

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The true twist will be that it was a spoon the whole time.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »
    The true twist will be that it was a spoon the whole time.

I see you've played knifey spoony before

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

One question/quibble:

This bugged me as well. Don't think about it too hard.

So It Goes on