As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Transformers: Fall of Cybertron] Available now. Roll out!

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Why do you people play conquest, it's so bad.

Power Struggle is where it's at.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    DeMoN wrote: »

Because its better than Team Death Match and noone plays the other game modes?

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Tee hee, the Leader's Thermo Mine Respawner killstreak is ridiculous on Conquest.

*Plant mines all over C*

*Head over to defend B*

*Notified of 3 mine kills within 30 seconds*

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Drakeon wrote: »

Because its better than Team Death Match and noone plays the other game modes?

but there's always enough people playing Power Struggle to get a full game going!

And it's basically just Conquest but with one point that hops around a lot. I find it's way less of a clusterfuck with 1 point. I'm too easily stressed by multiple points as it seems I'm always the one guy on my team who goes for a certain spot and then I just get raped.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I had a rather hilarious situation earlier when I decided to level up my Scout. An enemy Scientist had just gotten the Nucleon Cannon and was standing with the rest of his team. I walked up to him, Marked him, and Scatterblastered his head off, immediately picked up the cannon, and then blew up the rest of his team. I can't imagine how pissed they were.

Iblis on
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I played a couple of great Escalation games with Prof. Snugglesworth last night; it's so good to have teammates who actually work with you and rush to revive anyone who's downed, unlike a good number of pubs. Here I thought the multiplayer modes wouldn't be as polished as the singleplayer game, but they've actually been stealing the show (even though the vast majority of MP games with any population are Team DM, Conquest, and the occasional Power Struggle game).

The devs really need to do some polishing and patching now that the game's been out for a little while, though. The last MP game I played before joining the Escalation match was riddled with lag, and I wound up being kept out of one Escalation wave because I got glitched through a floor and died just when the previous wave ended.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I played a couple of great Escalation games with Prof. Snugglesworth last night; it's so good to have teammates who actually work with you and rush to revive anyone who's downed, unlike a good number of pubs.

Ok... so I haven't played much multi (scout and soldier to level 10 or so I think, I haven't played scientist or leader yet), and I've only played with pubs. But just to reinforce your point. I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW IT WAS POSSIBLE TO REVIVE PEOPLE since I've never been revived. Not even once. Lol wow... yeah pubs suck bad.

Boogdud on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    it's only in escalation right? i've never seen someone go down in matchmaking

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, reviving is only in escalation and campaign.

The dlc should totally come with a game mode that includes reviving. Just to mix things up a bit.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, reviving is only in escalation and campaign.

The dlc should totally come with a game mode that includes reviving. Just to mix things up a bit.

I think Leaders can be revived in multi if they have the ability that let's them fire at enemies for a time after they're downed. It's the same thing as being downed in Campaign and Escalation, where someone can pick you back up.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I played a couple of great Escalation games with Prof. Snugglesworth last night; it's so good to have teammates who actually work with you and rush to revive anyone who's downed, unlike a good number of pubs. Here I thought the multiplayer modes wouldn't be as polished as the singleplayer game, but they've actually been stealing the show (even though the vast majority of MP games with any population are Team DM, Conquest, and the occasional Power Struggle game).

The devs really need to do some polishing and patching now that the game's been out for a little while, though. The last MP game I played before joining the Escalation match was riddled with lag, and I wound up being kept out of one Escalation wave because I got glitched through a floor and died just when the previous wave ended.

I was in on that Escalation matches as well (DamustheWolf). It was pretty fun and definitely better than the only prior match I played (playing with a matchmaking group). We were doing pretty damn good up until I believe wave 12. I didn't think that two Titans and a Brute would immediately spawn in the same room as I was in. Died with an assfull of laser.

And yeah, they definitely need to do some polishing. The amount of small but annoying bugs and lag issues are very annoying.

Iblis on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think the revive mechanic in this game is somewhat flawed. There's a reason you'll often find yourself not being revived, and it's not because the randoms are just terrible. There's actually a lot of gameplay elements working against the revive in this game.

First of all, the bleed out time is pretty short. It's only about thirty seconds or so. That might sound like plenty of time, but it's really not. Unlike a game like Modern Warfare 2 or something similar, enemies in this game can take a lot of rounds. Many are absolute bullet sponges, especially on the later waves in Escalation. So it's not like you can just quickly clear out a bunch of enemies surrounding your fallen comrade before going in and reviving him. You might have to spend a lot of time slowly dispatching them. By the time you've killed all the killer robots, it might be too late. Of course, the enemies can also kill the downed player while they're downed. So there's that.

Second of all, the revive process itself takes a long ass time. It's not like in Gears of War where you just press X and instantly pick them up off the floor. You have to stand there helpless for about a good seven or eight seconds while reviving. So if you don't clear out all the enemies around the area, you're basically standing there while they shoot you. This increases the odds that you'll go down as well, leaving two players bleeding out. That's not a good situation at all, which is why a lot of players won't risk rushing in and reviving you, it's just too dangerous.

So you either stay back and try killing all the enemies around the downed player, risking the guy bleeding out and dying, or you rush in and revive while getting shot, risking yourself going down. Both situations suck. They should've made the whole mechanic a bit more useful and player friendly, IMO. Shorten the time required to revive, and increase the bleed out timer. Then we'd see more players getting revived in co-op and Escalation.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    BookerBooker Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    All your points are valid, Delta, but the Barrier ability makes things quite a bit easier. You put a wall of... holo-energy stuff between you and the enemy, then revive. It doesn't work well out in the open, but it helps.

Booker on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I haven't tried escalation yet, but the reviving you have to do late in the Autobots campaign when
    Ratchet is hurt trying to heal Omega Supreme

was a pain in the ass and my least favourite part of the campaign.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Heh, yea. That was the one section on Hard that I found unbearable.

Of course, it didn't help that I played as Optimus instead of Warpath and didn't have access to Barrier.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It didn't help that it checkpointed me at one bar of health and I didn't know the Energon rays would run out/there were no cubes around.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Oh, it wasn't the fact that I was dying. I could hide out back with the overshields and stay alive just fine. But that would mean letting Ratchet bleed out to death. But if I went to revive him, they'd all tear me to shreds.

Kobayashi Maru scenario.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    That part is difficult if you don't grab the Energon Grenades from one of the supply areas. They respawn endlessly too, which can help when you run out of Energon Cubes/Repair Rays.

Edit: Holy shit am I getting sick of a particular Scientist "Strategy" in Conquest. Basically I'm seeing more and more Scientists take Shockwave and just continually suicide to Shockwave enemies off points. No strategy, no thought, just divebomb, shockwave, die, respawn, fly back, divebomb, shockwave, die, respawn, so they can hopefully delay the enemy taking points. It's really obnoxious and makes me wish there would be a bit more of a delay before someone respawns. At least if they just keep dying and dying.

Iblis on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm starting to wish I didn't let my brother borrow this. I really want to play the campaign to get the act specific achievements and to transform.
    And play multi.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Oh, it wasn't the fact that I was dying. I could hide out back with the overshields and stay alive just fine. But that would mean letting Ratchet bleed out to death. But if I went to revive him, they'd all tear me to shreds.

Kobayashi Maru scenario.

I wasn't doing too bad with 1 bar, it's just that I was on thin ice the whole time. And, yeah, protecting Ratchet.

Didn't know about the Energon grenades, but I swear I never saw a cube.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Kobayashi Maru scenario.

I wasn't doing too bad with 1 bar, it's just that I was on thin ice the whole time. And, yeah, protecting Ratchet.

Didn't know about the Energon grenades, but I swear I never saw a cube.
    Not sure if there are cubes or not, but there are a ton of supplies. The Energon Grenades are in a area to the side of Omega Supreme. There are two such areas, one having respawning grenades, and the other with a variety of weapon. Essentially the key to making this section bearable are the Energon Grenades. Full health, healing for Ratchet, and the ability to take damage while reviving him.

Iblis on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Ah, I only checked the area with a few different weapons. I was driving around every time I had to re-load going "THERE'S NO CUBES! Rabble, rabble, rabble."

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hmm. The Ratchet thing was never entirely difficult for me. He would go down from time to time, but I always got him up immediately. I think I died once on Hard, but for the most part, smart use of the overshields and getting to ammo quickly did all the work. Plus if you play as Warpath, you can pop the barrier up. That helps a lot.

Ceno on
  • Options
    PeffPeff Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Iblis wrote: »

I was in on that Escalation matches as well (DamustheWolf). It was pretty fun and definitely better than the only prior match I played (playing with a matchmaking group). We were doing pretty damn good up until I believe wave 12. I didn't think that two Titans and a Brute would immediately spawn in the same room as I was in. Died with an assfull of laser.

And yeah, they definitely need to do some polishing. The amount of small but annoying bugs and lag issues are very annoying.

Yeah, it was a good match (I'm Savage Oxygen). After round 10 when they started throwing Brutes en masse it was scary though. I think I really underestimated the Jets too...that overshield vending machine was my saving grace. Then I got that stupid error and dropped in round 11 >.>

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Brutes are like cakewalks compared to the Titans (who can shoot you backwards, such crap). jump melee stomp over brutes constantly.. its almost brokenly effective.

its not very effective when the game starts to chug though, hell nothing is very effective when that happens. Ive been in a game to wave 15 once but when 3 titans came up the stairs we all started dropping like flies.
    ====

During the Ratchet section, I believe there is an extra energon turret behind a wall in little alcove -cant remember if its behind Omega or on one of the sides though-

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That part is difficult if you don't grab the Energon Grenades from one of the supply areas. They respawn endlessly too, which can help when you run out of Energon Cubes/Repair Rays.

Edit: Holy shit am I getting sick of a particular Scientist "Strategy" in Conquest. Basically I'm seeing more and more Scientists take Shockwave and just continually suicide to Shockwave enemies off points. No strategy, no thought, just divebomb, shockwave, die, respawn, fly back, divebomb, shockwave, die, respawn, so they can hopefully delay the enemy taking points. It's really obnoxious and makes me wish there would be a bit more of a delay before someone respawns. At least if they just keep dying and dying.

I can think of a variety of counters to this, but I guess it's dependent on which class you play. Seems like counter-shockwaving before they get to the node, or setting up rocket sentries would work best. If you're in mid-whirlwind, are you still affected by shockwave? How about hover?

I don't play scientist, but this seems like a strategy this predictable would have some serious holes.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Delzhand wrote: »

I can think of a variety of counters to this, but I guess it's dependent on which class you play. Seems like counter-shockwaving before they get to the node, or setting up rocket sentries would work best. If you're in mid-whirlwind, are you still affected by shockwave? How about hover?

I don't play scientist, but this seems like a strategy this predictable would have some serious holes.

The main issue is that you can keep killing the Scientists over and over again and they'll be back in a ridiculously short amount of time on some maps. I ended up with no ammo, my abilities on cooldown, out of grenades, etc. And all they have to do is knock you off the point for a split second for the timer to reset. Of course, the map I was having the most trouble with was Berth which gives a lot of points of approach, particularly for point B. I was playing Scientist at first, but with Drain and a Sentry (I was going for a medic build) but switched to my Leader partway through.

I haven't tried counter-shockwaving, not sure if that would be possible. Rocket Sentries are generally just not worth it from what I've found, but I could be wrong. I believe a Whirlwinding soldier can be knocked back, but not sure about a hovering soldier. Either way though, if there's more than one Scientist doing this you are unlikely going to have a break for abilities to recharge.

Iblis on
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

My variation of that is to use drain instead of shockwave. DOn't forget the scientist will also pop a turret and drop a heal grenade as well.

edit: Oh I see, use shockwave to reset timer counter ...

And you are right ... when I die it takes me maybe 10 seconds or less to get back to the point (compared to other classes that might take 30 seconds or so)

Bamelin on
  • Options
    Quake MattQuake Matt Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I could be wrong but, in my experience, shockwave doesn't knock back anyone who's transformed into their vehicle mode. Not sure if that really helps much, though, unless there's a turret helping you cover the node.

Quake Matt on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I never get tired of the scene where the Dinobots completely trash (and eventually subjugate) the Sharkticons.

Hunger!

I want it so bad I can taste it!

Also, looking for more people to do Escalation with.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    GutterkisserGutterkisser Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What kind of longevity do you guys see for this game's multiplayer community? With none of my friends likely to ever get it, is it still worth the purchase?

The game wasn't on my radar at all, but I just grabbed the multiplayer demo on Xbox and that shit is surprisingly engaging, addictive, and - dare I say it - vaguely tactical?

I love how fluidly it controls, too - being able to launch over a ramp as the Recon car, jump, transform, cloak and melee some bastard before you even hit the ground feels tight.

Oh, and developers take note - REGION FILTER, REGION FILTER, REGION FILTER. That shit should be mandatory in all matchmaking games. 500 people playing this demo and it was actually matching me with other Australians, compared with 5 gazillion people playing MW2 or Bad Company 2 and perpetual bad matchmaking.

Gutterkisser on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I never get tired of the scene where the Dinobots completely trash (and eventually subjugate) the Sharkticons.

Hunger!

I'll be happy to play Escalation with you again, should have free time tomorrow in fact.

And in regards to Gutterkisser's question: I think it has a good chance of lasting a good while if the devs start polishing it. They've already fixed the whole host dropping loses everyone their XP thing, and hopefully they'll follow suite with several more patches.

Iblis on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    If they can put in host migration then I'll be a happy camper. Haven't had too many rage-quits, but it's a pain being kicked out of the lobby every time the host is leaving.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Hunger!

Once I get back in town and to my Xbox, I'll be happy to do multi.

Ceno on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I think it has a good chance of lasting a good while if the devs start polishing it.

*Sigh* every promising game seems to need this disclaimer these days. Is it that hard to release a finished product?

I'll probably cave and buy it, $49 AU seems reasonable I guess.

Gutterkisser on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It's a finished product, but it's the nature of any multiplayer game that there'll be something that needs tweaking.

Name one MP game which is and forever will be perfect from the moment it was released.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Goldeneye! Wait...

Gutterkisser on
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Hunger!

I'll be happy to play Escalation with you again, should have free time tomorrow in fact.

And in regards to Gutterkisser's question: I think it has a good chance of lasting a good while if the devs start polishing it. They've already fixed the whole host dropping loses everyone their XP thing, and hopefully they'll follow suite with several more patches.

I would've been playing more last night but the TF2 Engineer Update just dropped, and I'm one of the few people who've been playing other classes in a sea of Engies and Sentries. I should be free any time today, though.

EDIT: What they really need to fix up is the connection issues that have been plaguing most of my games - either I get dropped right when I start a match due to host connection or I start spazzing out because of lag.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If they can put in host migration then I'll be a happy camper. Haven't had too many rage-quits, but it's a pain being kicked out of the lobby every time the host is leaving.

I think the worst isn't curb-stomp rage quits, but close-match rage quits. I was in a team deathmatch that was 39-39 and the host quit.

Are you so fucking afraid of failure that you won't even try for a close victory? Seriously?

Delzhand on
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It didn't help that it checkpointed me at one bar of health and I didn't know the Energon rays would run out/there were no cubes around.

Did you open that back area with the three overshields and extra healing turret?

wonderpug on