As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doraleous and Associates] the rare combination of internet and quality

WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
With Flintlocke dead and buried and Order of the Stick dragging it's @$$ for like 2 years now, it's hard to find some high quality fantasy humor out there.

Enter...

17047_422684545116_901495116_10548397_6183699_n.jpg

An animated webseries which has an exponentially growing fan base and has received some very impressive attention including a behind the scenes spot on some big news channel (pretty damn good for an internet toon).

Summed up, it's a tale about Doraleous your cliche' brave, smart, heroic adventurer who wants to go out and better the world. So he put together a mercenary team composed of a smart-ass elf, a drunk wizard, and a brown-nosing dwarf... along with two consultants a beefy ultra-violent barbarian named Broff and a Christopher Walken knight creatively named Sir Walken.

The show is a satire that takes it's self seriously on the outside but is anything but serious. And while action is present, the vast majority of the show is composed of the team bickering amongst each other and generally pissing Doraleous off. The humor is dry and very reminiscent of British humor.

Both voice acting and music is amazingly high quality. The art and animation isn't as high quality, but that's because it's a weekly serious, and frankly, it's pretty damn good considering that.

The show just has a charm about it that's rare on the internet and tv.

All in all, I would have to say this is one of the best webseries of all time and certainly one of the best atm. GO CHECK IT OUT.

2nd episode (their front episode. Good representative of the series.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVDQ5FYlfsE

Series index (all episodes)

Episodes 1-4 http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/doraleous-and-associates?page=2

Page 2 Episodes 5-24 http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/doraleous-and-associates?page=1

Series on a three week break, will resume towards the end of july, and then every Thursday following.

WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
Wishpig on

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So, yeah, I just watched Episode 1

That shit seems pretty good. I am now a fan.

I think everyone missed this thread because you posted it at a time when I was at work, and I assume I wasn't the only one.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    Carrus ThraceCarrus Thrace Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Not as many laugh-out-loud moments as the notorious "Flintlocke's Guide to Azeroth" but "Doraleus and Associates" is one of the most well written and comically crafted animated webisode out there. I've watched every episode and while some are definately better than others every single one of them succeeded in putting a smile onto my face.

P.S. Don't forget about Walken

Carrus Thrace on
    What is your name boy?
    "Mort" Said Mort
    Funny, what a coincidence. said Death

Terry Pratchett's Mort
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've got a soft spot for any piece of entertainment with a Christopher Walken impression.

Edit: This should be made into a Bioware RPG.

Hoz on
  • Options
    Wandering IdiotWandering Idiot Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yes, it’s quite good, best thing on The Escapist (Zero Punctuation can be a bit predictable at this point). I always describe it as “Home Movies in a fantasy setting”, which isn’t entirely accurate but gets the idea across well enough. Maybe throw some Venture Brothers in there too.

Probably my favorite thing about it is that most of the characters and especially Doraleous himself are actually fairly skilled (not that it always helps much). The non-traditional voices for fantasy archetypes are also fun (wizard who sounds like an old black guy, redneck elf, squeaky-voiced dwarf, etc.) I think the first episode is still the best introduction, mostly because I really love (/hate) the Lady in the Lake. Agreed about the quality of the voice acting/music in comparison to the visuals, although I view it more as a matter of the art than the animation. Whoever does the animation seems to do what they can with fairly limited art assets of questionable quality- the fact that the fight scenes have as much energy as they do is pretty impressive. Even the characters who initially annoyed me, like the Christopher Walken-alike, have grown on me.

So go watch it, you jerks- it’s free. Then you can twiddle your thumbs waiting for the next season like the rest of us.

Wandering Idiot on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This is excellent so far.

Arrath on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm glad u guys liked it so much ;) . I was kinda worried I was gonna end up with a humiliating no response thread!

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, this is pretty good.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Didn't crack a smile. That style of humour isn't my cup of tea.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    RedThornRedThorn Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    After watching these, I found it funny that in the arena episode
    when Doraleous was talking about how at least all the other gladiators seem like competent warriors, I knew exactly where they were going with that one.

Also, the entire Trojan horse bit was gold.

RedThorn on
    League of Legends: Drokmir
    Steam: Drokmir
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Didn't crack a smile. That style of humour isn't my cup of tea.

It is very dry humor, and not for everyone, although sometimes it takes on a more slapstick feel, but rarely.

Wishpig on

• Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I very much liked the dry delivery. That sort of humor requires voice actors who can get it just right, and I think it works well here.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yes, it’s quite good, best thing on The Escapist (Zero Punctuation can be a bit predictable at this point). I always describe it as “Home Movies in a fantasy setting”, which isn’t entirely accurate but gets the idea across well enough. Maybe throw some Venture Brothers in there too.

I think it has much more of a "Frisky Dingo" in a fantasy setting vibe going for it myself.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Has this re-started yet?

I assume it has.

I need to look this up when I get home from work.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    what really

I need more

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Queer Village is by far my favorite episode.

Also, Neebs is a ridiculous asshole that I kind of hate and kind of like.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Just catching up with Season 2, a little late I know.

But this is still amazing and hilarious.

Burtletoy on