Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Buying an iPod on eBay

ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Some cunt stole my iPod Touch and I'm poor, so I'm looking to replace it with an iPod Nano. Some of the deals on eBay make me wonder a bit -- $112 new from South Korea? Should I be skeptical of refurbished models? How would you guys proceed?

Zeromus on
pygsig.png

Posts

  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Spending too much money eating out. That's about it. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Zeromus wrote: »
    Some cunt stole my iPod Touch and I'm poor, so I'm looking to replace it with an iPod Nano. Some of the deals on eBay make me wonder a bit -- $112 new from South Korea? Should I be skeptical of refurbished models? How would you guys proceed?

    Why not just buy straight from Apple if you're paranoid? It's only a tiny price difference and you'll have a warranty.

    "At first he thought it might be a natural occurrence - maybe a rabbit. But upon closer inspection, it was clear a knife had been used. And rabbits don't carry knives."

    Final Fantasy XIV:Lilja Sunblade
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The price difference is not really tiny for me, basically. And I'm not paranoid, though I would like to have a good idea of what I should look for and such.

    pygsig.png
  • 3drage3drage Registered User
    edited July 2010
    If you're scammed you'll pay twice as much to own one. Just get it direct.

  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Spending too much money eating out. That's about it. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Zeromus wrote: »
    The price difference is not really tiny for me, basically. And I'm not paranoid, though I would like to have a good idea of what I should look for and such.

    A seller with a good feedback rating? What exactly are you asking?

    "At first he thought it might be a natural occurrence - maybe a rabbit. But upon closer inspection, it was clear a knife had been used. And rabbits don't carry knives."

    Final Fantasy XIV:Lilja Sunblade
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Esh wrote: »
    Zeromus wrote: »
    The price difference is not really tiny for me, basically. And I'm not paranoid, though I would like to have a good idea of what I should look for and such.

    A seller with a good feedback rating? What exactly are you asking?

    As my OP says, I'm curious about refurbished models -- whether or not those are likely to break and so forth. And is there any reason to be skeptical of a seller from, say, Korea (as the OP also reads) if the rest of the listing seems legit?

    pygsig.png
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Spending too much money eating out. That's about it. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Zeromus wrote: »
    Esh wrote: »
    Zeromus wrote: »
    The price difference is not really tiny for me, basically. And I'm not paranoid, though I would like to have a good idea of what I should look for and such.

    A seller with a good feedback rating? What exactly are you asking?

    As my OP says, I'm curious about refurbished models -- whether or not those are likely to break and so forth. And is there any reason to be skeptical of a seller from, say, Korea (as the OP also reads) if the rest of the listing seems legit?

    I suppose they're more likely to break down than a brand new iPod. Are you looking for statistics or something? Like I said, look at the Feedback rating.

    "At first he thought it might be a natural occurrence - maybe a rabbit. But upon closer inspection, it was clear a knife had been used. And rabbits don't carry knives."

    Final Fantasy XIV:Lilja Sunblade
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Esh wrote: »
    Zeromus wrote: »
    Esh wrote: »
    Zeromus wrote: »
    The price difference is not really tiny for me, basically. And I'm not paranoid, though I would like to have a good idea of what I should look for and such.

    A seller with a good feedback rating? What exactly are you asking?

    As my OP says, I'm curious about refurbished models -- whether or not those are likely to break and so forth. And is there any reason to be skeptical of a seller from, say, Korea (as the OP also reads) if the rest of the listing seems legit?

    I suppose they're more likely to break down than a brand new iPod. Are you looking for statistics or something? Like I said, look at the Feedback rating.

    Perhaps someone who has had the experience of buying a refurbished model might lend their opinion.

    pygsig.png
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Spending too much money eating out. That's about it. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Zeromus wrote: »
    Esh wrote: »
    Zeromus wrote: »
    Esh wrote: »
    Zeromus wrote: »
    The price difference is not really tiny for me, basically. And I'm not paranoid, though I would like to have a good idea of what I should look for and such.

    A seller with a good feedback rating? What exactly are you asking?

    As my OP says, I'm curious about refurbished models -- whether or not those are likely to break and so forth. And is there any reason to be skeptical of a seller from, say, Korea (as the OP also reads) if the rest of the listing seems legit?

    I suppose they're more likely to break down than a brand new iPod. Are you looking for statistics or something? Like I said, look at the Feedback rating.

    Perhaps someone who has had the experience of buying a refurbished model might lend their opinion.

    I don't think that's going to help. Not all refurbished iPods are going to be the same. You could always buy refurbed from Apple. Cheaper and you'll get a warranty.

    "At first he thought it might be a natural occurrence - maybe a rabbit. But upon closer inspection, it was clear a knife had been used. And rabbits don't carry knives."

    Final Fantasy XIV:Lilja Sunblade
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Esh wrote: »
    Zeromus wrote: »
    Esh wrote: »
    Zeromus wrote: »
    Esh wrote: »
    Zeromus wrote: »
    The price difference is not really tiny for me, basically. And I'm not paranoid, though I would like to have a good idea of what I should look for and such.

    A seller with a good feedback rating? What exactly are you asking?

    As my OP says, I'm curious about refurbished models -- whether or not those are likely to break and so forth. And is there any reason to be skeptical of a seller from, say, Korea (as the OP also reads) if the rest of the listing seems legit?

    I suppose they're more likely to break down than a brand new iPod. Are you looking for statistics or something? Like I said, look at the Feedback rating.

    Perhaps someone who has had the experience of buying a refurbished model might lend their opinion.

    I don't think that's going to help. Not all refurbished iPods are going to be the same. You could always buy refurbed from Apple. Cheaper and you'll get a warranty.

    Thanks, I didn't realize you could do this and will almost certainly go this route now. Next time maybe try posting this before the belittling? ;-)
    Spoiler:

    pygsig.png
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Spending too much money eating out. That's about it. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Zeromus wrote: »
    Esh wrote: »
    Zeromus wrote: »
    Esh wrote: »
    Zeromus wrote: »
    Esh wrote: »
    Zeromus wrote: »
    The price difference is not really tiny for me, basically. And I'm not paranoid, though I would like to have a good idea of what I should look for and such.

    A seller with a good feedback rating? What exactly are you asking?

    As my OP says, I'm curious about refurbished models -- whether or not those are likely to break and so forth. And is there any reason to be skeptical of a seller from, say, Korea (as the OP also reads) if the rest of the listing seems legit?

    I suppose they're more likely to break down than a brand new iPod. Are you looking for statistics or something? Like I said, look at the Feedback rating.

    Perhaps someone who has had the experience of buying a refurbished model might lend their opinion.

    I don't think that's going to help. Not all refurbished iPods are going to be the same. You could always buy refurbed from Apple. Cheaper and you'll get a warranty.

    Thanks, I didn't realize you could do this and will almost certainly go this route now. Next time maybe try posting this before the belittling? ;-)
    Spoiler:

    There wasn't any belittling, but you're welcome.

    "At first he thought it might be a natural occurrence - maybe a rabbit. But upon closer inspection, it was clear a knife had been used. And rabbits don't carry knives."

    Final Fantasy XIV:Lilja Sunblade
  • JokermanJokerman Love is careless in its choosing. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That's Esh, he always sounds like that.

    Chanus wrote: »
    the best asians are white people
    My blog about Beer!
  • KalTorakKalTorak Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've bought refurbed from Apple a few times - worked perfectly every time. Plus they come with the same basic warranty as new items.

  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Spending too much money eating out. That's about it. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Jokerman wrote: »
    That's Esh, he always sounds like that.

    "At first he thought it might be a natural occurrence - maybe a rabbit. But upon closer inspection, it was clear a knife had been used. And rabbits don't carry knives."

    Final Fantasy XIV:Lilja Sunblade
  • JokermanJokerman Love is careless in its choosing. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Esh wrote: »
    Jokerman wrote: »
    That's Esh, he always sounds like that.

    Eshers gonna Esh.

    I also second buying a refurbed one from apple if you wanna go the refurbished route. They really do have great customer service, and while you might get one for a deal on ebay, you're probably gonna be looking at replacing the battery in the near future at the very least.

    Chanus wrote: »
    the best asians are white people
    My blog about Beer!
  • Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User
    edited July 2010
    I bought my iPod refurb 2 years ago and it is still going strong. Also bought my girlfriend a shuffle re-furb.

    Refurbished is totally the way to go for buying iPods

    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • illigillig Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    woot.com has the new nanos for $99 every couple of weeks... if you're that hard up for cash (and yet buying a $100 toy :P ) it may be worth to wait

Sign In or Register to comment.