As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D D&D 4E PbP] Debate and Discourse and Dungeons and Dragons (OOC)

WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
edited August 2010 in Critical Failures
This the thread for the Debate and Discourse Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition game!

I want to make it clear that I'm not recruiting, all the players who are joining the game have already been picked.

The people who volunteered to play are:

Thomamelas
Dread Pirate Arbuthnot
Ludious
Corbius
Chanus
Casual Eddy

Make sure that you confirm that you're going to play in this thread.

So, as far as details:
I'm going with a pretty standard D&D 4E setting here, though all the locations and history I'll make up myself, rather than going with any established settings. Feel free to make up your own towns and cities for the benefit of your back story, since the world is pretty malleable. Just be warned: I plan to muck around in everyone's back stories. I may mess with your character's past as the game proceeds or make an actual visit to your hometown or something. Ideally I'd like everyone to stick to the first two player's handbooks, anything past that and we'll have to talk about it. Also, make sure your character is already the sort of person who would be out and about traveling and adventuring.

Without going into any detail, the campaign starts deep below the sands of an arid desert, in the heart of an ancient temple in which you have all awoken, without any notion of how you got there.

You'll all start at level 1, with a level 1 magic item, level 2 magic item and 500 gp.

This is my first time DMing...ever, so it will be a learning experience. Feel free to point out egregious errors I happen to be making. Hopefully I didn't miss anything.

Here's a link to the IC thread.

Winky on

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Confirming.

I'll get a character done up probably this evening once I get home.

Anyone have a role they prefer? I'm good with whatever.

Woo.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Confirming. I'm planning on using my rogue/face from the previous one.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    CorbiusCorbius Shepard Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Confirmed.

Time to dust off my dwarven axe enthusiast warrior.

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
    PSN: Corbius
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So, I'm putting together an Elf Cleric.

How much of the info do you need as far as stats and stuff?

Chanus on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    And a quick question, for the magic items, do they count against the 500 gp?

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Ooh. Good question. I assumed no :P

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Nah. It doesn't count against the 500.
    Chanus wrote: »
    So, I'm putting together an Elf Cleric.

How much of the info do you need as far as stats and stuff?

Go ahead and put up a character sheet on Orkos.

Winky on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Okay. Preliminary:

http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/2177

Lemme know if anyone thinks I should do anything differently. I'm not heavily into 4E yet, so I just do what sounds good on Character Builder.

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Remade my warrior a little bit, change some powers, items etc.

If I have time this weekend I might add some character notes.

http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/2179

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'll have my character up tonight

I'm going to roll a fighter and be the group's defender :D

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Pieter

Pieter is the son of an Elven Bard and a Human Noble woman of the city of Riverhaven. Both mother and son were heavily cloistered to keep the shame from being public. Pieter was raised by tutors but at night rebelled by climbing the cities rooftops. A failed expedition one night brought him to the attention of the city's spymaster who saw rare potential. Someone who can move in the highest social circles but with a love of trickery and a knack for breaking and entering. Pieter found himself with a new set of tutors and a surrogate father. Now he's on his first assignment for Riverhaven, using his cover as a wandering adventurer to help set up a web of contacts for Riverhaven. His cover is that he's nothing more then the bored half-blood son of a noble family, filled with wanderlust and a craving for danger.

Appearance:
    Height 5'11"
    Weight 160
    Eyes: Hazel
    Hair: Dirty blond
    Distinguishing marks: A scar just above his left eye, and one running from his right shoulder to his right elbow.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Oh, and Winky, can you allow Martial Power 1 & 2? They are a pretty big deal for Martial characters.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Oh, and Winky, can you allow Martial Power 1 & 2? They are a pretty big deal for Martial characters.

Absolutely.

If anyone else has any other stuff they want to add then just ask.

Be aware that I might need help with that stuff, though.

Winky on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/2184

Requine is the daughter of two of the most influential and powerful merchants in the south. At a young age, she was often offered in marriage to some young lord of lesser power or another, but her foul nature and hot temper made any prospective matches impossible. Despite being attractive, taught in the finest of manners and etiquette, educated, and wealthy, Requine prefers nothing more than being in the fray of a bar brawl or smashing kobolds to bring their skins to market. After wheedling the finest armor one could buy out of her tractable and gullible father, Requine set out as part of a mercenary band with some of her chums. One by one, they all fell off due to boredom, injury, or lossof novelty. Only Requine remains, traversing the countryside and looking for an excuse to smash faces and laugh at lesser men.

Appearance:
    Height: 5'5"
    Weight 175lb
    Eyes: Blue
    Hair: Red
    Distinguishing marks: None

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Okay, it was brought to my attention that my stats may not have been legal as I used the auto-roll in Character Builder instead of the points system... so reroll of Arian:

Arian is an elf of a less-than-usual sort. While having been raised in forest life is not terribly unusual, he does not possess the calm and stoic nature so often associated with his kind. Arian is a child of the storm, servant of Kord, and prefers to perform his restorative duties on the front lines, in the thick of battle. Rather than hanging back and tending to the wounded, his faith and powers are inspired by the crush of his morning star against the flesh and bones of his adversaries.

Appearance:
    Height: 5'8"
    Weight 160lb
    Eyes: Grey
    Hair: White

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Alright, so far we've got

2 Warriors
    1 Rogue
    1 Cleric

Haven't heard back from Eddy or Ludious yet.

Winky on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Do you invite commentary from the peanut gallery?

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Alrighty thinking about making druid, probably sometime tonight

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    delroland wrote: »

I'll take some. I haven't played since 2nd Ed, so I'm relearning.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

One peanut pointed out the error with my original stats, so it has been welcome so far, in my opinion.

Chanus on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

You should drop your INT to 10 and raise your CON to 14. This will improve your FORT defense, hit points, and number of healing surges at little cost since you have no trained skills relying on INT.

You're in a floating city, so I'm not sure how useful having a horse or tent might be. Maybe consider a healing potion or two instead.

I'd seriously consider taking Bluff over Athletics, being that you are a Charisma rogue; why not take advantage of all your bonuses?

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    edited July 2010

You should drop your INT to 10 and raise your CON to 14. This will improve your FORT defense, hit points, and number of healing surges at little cost since you have no trained skills relying on INT.

You're in a floating city, so I'm not sure how useful having a horse or tent might be. Maybe consider a healing potion or two instead.

I'd seriously consider taking Bluff over Athletics, being that you are a Charisma rogue; why not take advantage of all your bonuses?

I'll make the stat adjustments. I'm not sure what I was thinking with those. The Athletics was to cover up the weak strength score. Might it be a good idea to shift Str up to 10 instead just to wipe out the penalty?

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Oh, yeah, I guess I should've mentioned this already, no mounts or anything to start.

Since the story begins in the bottom of a dungeon, you should only have anything that you could have realistically carried with you inside.

Winky on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh I would love some guidance on a druid from the peanut gallery, I've never made one!

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Winky, can we have an exemption for potions towards the magic item count? Or can we spend the 500g on magic items beyond what you allowed?

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, sure, buy enough potions to knock yourself out.

Don't be worried about gimping yourself by keeping pocket change either.

This isn't really an exact science I'm going to be honest with you.

Winky on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Winky wrote: »
    Yeah, sure, buy enough potions to knock yourself out.

Don't be worried about gimping yourself by keeping pocket change either.

This isn't really an exact science I'm going to be honest with you.

Hrm, so I have 210g. Figure 50g for emergencies. So 160g to spend. On spy gear. Woo!

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Hey guys, go ahead and find an image you'd like me to use for your character's token.

Winky on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Hey guys, go ahead and find an image you'd like me to use for your character's token.

Jokey answer:
    topatoco-and-my-axe-shirt1.jpg

More serious answer:
    thoric2.jpg

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Too late bro you're getting the first one.

Winky on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Thats the one I really wanted.

I included the second option in case there was any chance we were going to take this "seriously".

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Corbius wrote: »
    Thats the one I really wanted.

I included the second option in case there was any chance we were going to take this "seriously".

As far as seriousness goes, off the top of my head a close example of what I'm going for is something like Homestuck (maybe a bit more serious). Where very silly things may happen often throughout the course of the adventures, but ultimately the storyline on a whole is pretty serious.

Please feel free to have your character be as silly or as serious as you'd like. Though make 'em genuine, and if at all possible fit the mood of what's going on at the time.

Of course I'm kind of winging it here so this may change once we start playing and things may go mostly serious or mostly silly.

Winky on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Winky, let me give me my character concept in one sentence.

Its not complicated.

"Axes fix problems."

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Its not complicated.

"Axes fix problems."

But what fix axes?

Winky on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Its not complicated.

"Axes fix problems."

But what fix axes?

Bigger axes.

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Its not complicated.

"Axes fix problems."

But what fix axes?

Bigger axes.

I'm...

I'm not sure that's how it works.

Winky on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Its not complicated.

"Axes fix problems."

But what fix axes?

Bigger axes.

I'm...

Axes all the way down.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    You understand Thom.

We will get along.

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Its not complicated.

"Axes fix problems."

But what fix axes?

Bigger axes.

I'm...

Axes all the way down.

You get 200 free experience points if you make it so your character actually believes that the world rests on a giant axe, and that there is some sort of incredible divine power to axes.

Winky on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Chanus wrote: »
    Okay, it was brought to my attention that my stats may not have been legal as I used the auto-roll in Character Builder instead of the points system... so reroll of Arian:

Arian is an elf of a less-than-usual sort. While having been raised in forest life is not terribly unusual, he does not possess the calm and stoic nature so often associated with his kind. Arian is a child of the storm, servant of Kord, and prefers to perform his restorative duties on the front lines, in the thick of battle. Rather than hanging back and tending to the wounded, his faith and powers are inspired by the crush of his morning star against the flesh and bones of his adversaries.

Appearance:
    Height: 5'8"
    Weight 160lb
    Eyes: Grey
    Hair: White

I was checking your character sheet, and I couldn't find Sonnlinor's Hammer in the Player's Handbook 1, 2, or Divine Power....where does it come from?

Also, don't you want a holy symbol?

Winky on