As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rape is hilarious to G4TV

Sol InvictusSol Invictus Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Games and Technology
Apparently, it is. How the fuck is any of this appropriate?

http://www.tvsquad.com/2010/07/08/attack-of-the-show-gets-supremely-awkward-video/

Sol Invictus on

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Shrug. FCC doesn't really govern cable TV. I guess you need to go complain to them?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Welcome to the internet. If you aren't thick skinned by now, good fucking luck.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    eeeiish.... watching that made me feel so awkward and strange. Really bad strange.

And it wasn't what they said even... didn't surprise me too much. But G4 just makes me feel bad inside.

ShinyRedKnight on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Shrug. FCC doesn't really govern cable TV. I guess you need to go complain to them?

I don't think you get it. I'm thinking, how the fuck is it appropriate for a TV show like AOTS to make light of rape? Not only does it reinforce the stereotype that gamers are a bunch of assholes, but holy mother of fuck, this isn't a subject they should be joking about.

Sol Invictus on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Are you telling me it isn't?

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    And it wasn't what they said even... didn't surprise me too much. But G4 just makes me feel bad inside.

Kris on
  • Options
    ZedarZedar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Not wanting to turn this into some kind of d&d topic on socially acceptable topics, but I don't see why rape jokes are so out there and unacceptable when people joke about killing each other all the time.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I don't think you get it. I'm thinking, how the fuck is it appropriate for a TV show like AOTS to make light of rape? Not only does it reinforce the stereotype that gamers are a bunch of assholes, but holy mother of fuck, this isn't a subject they should be joking about.

It's Attack of the Show. If you're even remotely aware of what the show is, tact is not their forte.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Rape is never funny.
    Unless it's a clown.
    HONK HONK!
    More importantly, who cares? Attack of the Show is annoying as it is; the host just makes it completely unwatchable anyway. Much more importantly, thumbs up to AOTS for doing something dumb related to games. Can't wait until this gets spun into games being rape simulators.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Can anyone tell me what's behind the link?

Henroid on
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

G4TV is the stereotype of gamers being assholes. You're complaining about a barn being red.

And the fact that the jokes weren't being funny, you're complaining about a barn being on a farm.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Not wanting to turn this into some kind of d&d topic on socially acceptable topics, but I don't see why rape jokes are so out there and unacceptable when people joke about killing each other all the time.

Yeah, I don't see why black people jokes are so bad either when people joke about killing each other.

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The problem here isn't the jokes, it's watching anything G4 puts out in the first place.

Clearly you were asking for it.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wow, this thread is going places.

If you want to discuss G4 being stupid, that's fine, but G&T on the Penny Arcade forums probably isn't the place to do it. Talk about it on their forums.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Henroid wrote: »

From that site (minus the video):
    Eesh. It doesn't get much more awkward than this.

'Attack of the Show' (Weekdays, 7PM ET on G4) host Kevin Pereira tosses to Alison Haislip for a news break by announcing that it's time for news to be "shoved" into viewers.

"Whoa! That sounds kind of rapey," Haislip responds. Then, she goes on to make several rape-related puns, all of which are awkward and not even remotely funny. Hey, guys, word of advice: Stick to reporting on tech.

Astale on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Henroid wrote: »

rape

MrDelish on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcFryjunIjw&has_verified=1

Rent on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

It's Attack of the Show. If you're even remotely aware of what the show is, tact is not their forte.

Yeah? And if they'd started slinging the N word around there would've been some very angry executives calling for her dismissal. It's not okay.

Sol Invictus on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Rent wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcFryjunIjw&has_verified=1

George Carlin is funny for being who he is and for saying the things he says. AOTS isn't George Carlin nor should they attempt to be. Carlin's making an excellent point about free speech, but he's not saying that it's okay to go around and be a fucking douchebag.

I have just as much freedom of speech to call out AOTS on their bullshit.

Sol Invictus on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Yeah? And if they'd started slinging the N word around there would've been some very angry executives calling for her dismissal. It's not okay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu9q4sM1vmc&feature=related

Rent on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Fig-D wrote: »
    Wow, this thread is going places.

If you want to discuss G4 being stupid, that's fine, but G&T on the Penny Arcade forums probably isn't the place to do it. Talk about it on their forums.

Yeah, it's probably not. I should've put it up on D&D, so I will in a bit.

Sol Invictus on
  • Options
    GutterkisserGutterkisser Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Not great for the gamer image, but not nearly as bad as I was expecting.

At least it was metaphorical rape, and the joke was really only perpetuated by a female. Which is kind of a dumb double standard but isn't that how these things are perceived?

Gutterkisser on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

George Carlin is funny for being who he is and for saying the things he says. AOTS isn't George Carlin nor should they attempt to be. Carlin's making an excellent point about free speech, but he's not saying that it's okay to go around and be a fucking douchebag.

No, he's making a joke about rape.

Making a joke about something isn't condoning it. I mean, let's use that logic and extend it to its logical extreme- whenever you play a video game with killing in it, are you condoning killing?

Also, its pretty equitable because AOTS is a tech humor show, so it's not like CNN started making black jokes or something. There's the expectation that if you watch that show you will see humor on it

Edit: Also you can't have the double standard. Either rape is never funny, in which case George Carlin is just as bad as AOTS, or rape can be funny, in which case AOTS is excused, being a...tech humor show

Rent on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So uh. What are her puns? Like written out?

Henroid on
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Not great for the gamer image, but not nearly as bad as I was expecting.

as a gamer, i find rape hilarious

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There's the expectation that if you watch that show you will see humor on it

To be fair, with AOTS... they're very very low expectations.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    this isn't a subject they should be joking about.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2003/11/19/

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/01/07/

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2000/10/02/

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/05/09/

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/04/16/
    There's the expectation that if you watch that show you will see humor on it

To be fair, with AOTS... they're very very low expectations.

Oh I'm not saying it's funny

What I am saying is is it's expected, thus it is ignorant and foolish of the OP to play moral guardian on this and be on a forum of a comic that makes jokes about rape

Rent on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

No, he's making a joke about rape.

Making a joke about something isn't condoning it. I mean, let's use that logic and extend it to its logical extreme- whenever you play a video game with killing in it, are you condoning killing?

Also, its pretty equitable because AOTS is a tech humor show, so it's not like CNN started making black jokes or something. There's the expectation that if you watch that show you will see humor on it

Edit: Also you can't have the double standard. Either rape is never funny, in which case George Carlin is just as bad as AOTS, or rape can be funny, in which case AOTS is excused, being a...tech humor show

I didn't find him funny, and I don't find jokes about that (or the N word) funny. But AOTS isn't Carlin. Their audience isn't a bunch of intelligent, well-educated comedy club goers. Their audience is teenage boys. There is clearly a difference.

Sol Invictus on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Making a joke about something isn't condoning it.

This. Some people need to freaking chill out.

Monty Python said that anything is fair game if it's funny. Hell, they cracked jokes at Graham Chapman's funeral.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLBoAhslJdw

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Alright, I just watched the video.

What was I supposed to be offended by?

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    just watch the video it's really not that bad.
    i'm not offended, but i can easily understand people who are.
    i knew someone who had been raped, and a few times without thinking i cracked rape jokes around her. the first few times i didn't realize until someone reminded me later. but once you say a joke and then realize they heard, you instinctively look at them and it just makes things worse.
    really of course it's a touchy subject but it's no controversy

i find dead baby jokes sickening but people find those fucking hysterical

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I didn't find him funny, and I don't find jokes about that (or the N word) funny. But AOTS isn't Carlin. Their audience isn't a bunch of intelligent, well-educated comedy club goers. Their audience is teenage boys. There is clearly a difference.

It's premium cable. It's not teenage boys that are their main audience, it's the all-important white male aged 18-25 demographic.

But that's not important. What is is you saying 'you shouldn't make rape jokes! grrr!", and then I point out your hypocrisy with the insane number of rape jokes in every other media you consume besides this. So unless you're gonna make a thousand threads, starting with George Carlin and ending with PA, you'd be best to leave this well enough alone. You've looked foolish enough already

Rent on
  • Options
    JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Let's face it, on this forum alone the words "Raped by Bears" shows up pretty often.

Junpei on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

It's premium cable. It's not teenage boys that are their main audience, it's the all-important white male aged 18-25 demographic.

But that's not important. What is is you saying 'you shouldn't make rape jokes! grrr!", and then I point out your hypocrisy with the insane number of rape jokes in every other media you consume besides this. So unless you're gonna make a thousand threads, starting with George Carlin and ending with PA, you'd be best to leave this well enough alone. You've looked foolish enough already

Since when did drawing attention to a single instance of this mean that I bore the burden of drawing attention to the countless other instances where this has happened? You are completely irrational.

And who's to say that I don't bring it up when the situation/audience merits it?

Sol Invictus on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    is this show live or something? is it scripted at all? was that part of the script or did she just decide to go off on that rape tangent?

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Since when did drawing attention to a single instance of this mean that I bore the burden of drawing attention to the countless other instances where this has happened? You are completely irrational.

And who's to say that I don't bring it up when the situation/audience merits it?

No I'm not. Either you, again, think rape is never funny, in which case to be fair you have to bring up every other case in which rape jokes are raised to be nonbiased, or you think it can be funny, in which you have to excuse AOTS because one of its primary purposes is humor.

Your choice bud

Rent on
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Really? That's offensive? Did it hurt you personally? Do you want them to be fined?

AotS is a crappy show with terrible hosts and embarrassingly bad banter. Nothing they could do would offend me because I don't hold some reverence (or even much respect) for their words.

I swear, people are just looking for stuff to be offended by these days. It's one thing to mutter to yourself about a show being insensitive and "offensive," but to post angrily on an internet message board about it? Boo fucking hoo.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ITT: people that haven't experienced sexual violence making sure that everyone knows that it's okay to joke about sexual violence.

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    -Tal wrote: »
    is this show live or something? is it scripted at all? was that part of the script or did she just decide to go off on that rape tangent?

Pretty sure it's live, and she ad libbed the whole thing. She makes fun of it on Twitter, too.

http://twitter.com/alisonhaislip/status/17990332339

Sol Invictus on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Pretty much everything is funny, including racism. Sometimes especially racism. Rape can be funny too. Especially bro rape.

But this being G&T, yes, the obvious problem was that somebody was actually watching AOTS rather than the fact that somebody was offended by something they could have just changed the channel on. This isn't even like some asshole in a restaurant telling horribly offensive jokes despite the fact that there are kids around or something. It's a dumb person on a dumb show making dumb comments.

It's not illegal, so who cares? Change the channel, find something better to watch. Enjoy your victory over bad taste. Don't remember where I heard it, but either everything is fair game for humor or nothing is. Anything else is hypocrisy.

Also, threadlock imminent. ^5 for making life harder for the mods!

Ninja Snarl P on
This discussion has been closed.