Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Different Time Zones-Time Managment

KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Freelancing for people in different time zones is starting to make me go crazy. Is there a free application that will manage the different time zones? Googling has lead me to a couple that cost money, but there are no reviews and I dont buy things with out seeing peoples reaction.

Im really looking for a little app that can just run in the background that I can Alt+tab to really quick to see when to make calls and send emails. (Clients specific about when they want things mailed/called to them.)

Im willing to pay for a program that alerts me when its 11:am eastern and 11:am Pacific. When its 9 am in australia.. etc..

Kendeathwalker on

• SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Outlook can do this pretty easily.

You could try combining http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meeting.html with a calendar/task program, too

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu ___________PIGEON _________San Diego, CA Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
  • KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    how can outlook do this? Im navigating the help menu so I may answer my own question

• mtsmts Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    there is a google labs thing that will do this . or alternatively you can probably find a clock widget with multiple clocks on it

camo_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    google desktop gadget- Problem solved. You can lock it up.

• SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Creating reminders based on timezones in Outlook 2007:
    1. Ctrl-Shift-A (create new calendar event)
    2. Click on the time zones button in the Appointment area of the ribbon. This adds timezone to the time
    3. Set start time to when you need to be reminded of something, set reminder to '10 minutes' (or 30 minutes or whatever), voila! Outlook will automagically manage the timezones so if you set something to be occur at 5pm EST and you're in PST, it will remind you at the right time.

Outlook time management:

The calendar has the ability to display two timezones on it. I regularly display a North American timezone and an Australian time zone. This is in Calendar options or something. It's not quite what you're looking for but can still be very useful!

edited July 2010
    much apprecaited. Thanks

• Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Aren't you over complicating this?

If the work 9 to 5 and are say 2 hours ahead of you why don't you just write down next to the client name - contact hours 7AM to 3PM?

edited July 2010
    Yea- I tried that. Documents get lost or you come up with a filing system but new variables get introduced. Are you currently starting your own company? Are you working on 4 separate graphic novels? Are you filling the role of about 5 different creatives all by yourself?

I appreciate that you left me helpful advice not the backhanded way in which you did it. You have no idea of my context (which is quite complicated) and I already stated I found a solution.

And before you get your panties in a bunch and say thats not the way it is let me demonstrate a more amicable way you could have communicated

Blake T wrote: »
    Something that has worked for me in the past that seems less complicated is:

If the work is 9 to 5 and they are say 2 hours ahead of you - I just write down next to the client name - contact hours 7AM to 3PM