As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bad Power Switch/Source on PC?

Dr. FaceDr. Face King of PantsRegistered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
Ok, this is driving me insane. The wife's computer is tormenting me to no end.

Problem: It only turns on when it wants to. Press the power button and it might turn on, but not now. Usually 30 min to an hour later it will boot. WTF? I'd swear I can hear it laughing while it does this too.

It’s a small form factor Shuttle that has worked for years with no problems. No spare power sources (of the right size) to test if it’s the PSU. And I'd rather not go buy one unless I am sure it’s the issue. If its the switch I don't know how I would figure that out or how to fix it if that’s the case. Anyone run into this before/know how I can diagnose?

What I've tried: New power cord (borrowed from work), multiple power outlets on different circuits using different (or no) power strip, unplugged each drive from the power source trying to power up between each, checked all power source internal connections.

Am I doomed to pay far too much for a repair job on this thing or is there any aid the PA communal brain can give?

jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
Dr. Face on

• Options
    fogeymanfogeyman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If you have a local hardware store with a good return policy (like Fry's), you could buy a PSU and if that doesn't fix the problem, simply return it. In any case, it sounds like a faulty power supply, though it may be the case (the wire from the power button to the motherboard may be busted).

fogeyman on
  • Options
    DJDMDJDM Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sounds like a bad power source.

DJDM on
    GameDemoAnimation101806.gif
  • Options
    Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've only had power sources work or die, but nothing like this (I've only owned/built about 6 PC's in my life though). Most of the stores around here are real asshats and I doubt they have good return policies, but I will have to check the fine print. I'll likely try this unless some magic fix is posted here before tomorrow after work.

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • Options
    garathkanegarathkane Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    sounds like a powersupply issue. I would be confident enough in that to drop the $40 or so on a new one. Better than spending any money on a tech to look at it.

edit: and I have had a similar issue in the past. It wouldn't always turn on when I pushed the power button (I would often have to try multiple times up to a half hour) and it would DEFINATELY not turn on again for at least an hour if I turned it off. It was the power supply.

garathkane on