As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Katamari

DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
edited July 2010 in Games and Technology
I played Katamari Damacy back in my college days. I recently downloaded a demo for a Katamari game on my ps3. I had no idea there were new Katamari games. How many are there? Are they as much fun as the original? The demo for the ps3 was pretty great.

How long are the Katamari games? I remember thinking the first one was kind of short, but really, really awesome. And the extra characters, the Prince's cousins, are pretty cool looking, but do they control differently?

DouglasDanger on

• Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The second game, also for the PS2, is amazing, and the only other one by the original creator.
    After that he went and did the equally fantastic Noby Noby Boy.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    All the Katamari games are pretty similar as far as controls. None of them are really bad, but none of them are quite as good as the original and, especially, We Love Katamari. That's the one you need to seek out.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Xagarath wrote: »
    The second game, also for the PS2, is amazing, and the only other one by the original creator.
    After that he went and did the equally fantastic Noby Noby Boy.

I watched Kasius's mini LP of Noby Noby Boy, and it looked like you could spend hours just dicking around. It looked like alot of fun.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Play the first two and skip straight to Noby Noby Boy for maximum joy.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Hm. I will get the ps2 games at some point.

How is Katamari Forever? Katamari Forever looked amazing when I played the demo, and some reviews mentioned it has several different graphical filters that are all really amazing looking.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Katamari Forever is basically the best bits from the two PS2 games with HD graphics, with some new levels thrown in.
    If you like the previous games you'll more than likely enjoy it.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The original Katamari is great for the whole "What the fuck am I playing" feeling you get the first time you boot it up. The music was the most pleasant surprise for me.

However it did have some slight annoyances, that were quickly solved in the sequel, which is amazing.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    The DermThe Derm Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have Katamari Forever and quite enjoy it.
    I don't have any history with the game other than playing some of the earlier ones with friends at PAX. My only complaint is that some times the camera angles can be a little troubling. That, and after about 90min on a HD screen my eyeballs start sweating.

The Derm on
    Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position
    Such a heavy burden now to be the one
    Born to bare and read to all the details of our ending
    To write it down for all the world to see
    But I forgot my pen...
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    We Love Katamari is the best Katamari game. There's a huge variety in levels by comparison to the first, there's more to see and do, and the story told through cutscenes is actually really awesome. I've even grown to like its music more.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ValleoValleo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm kind of surprised by the love for Noby Noby Boy. I loved the Katamari games, but thought Noby Noby Boy was kind of boring.

Anyhow, if you haven't played any Katamari since Damacy, Katamari Forever is worthwhile, since it contains a good amount of games from the previous PS2 titles and the XBox 360 game (as well as two original levels I believe). Well worth it.

Valleo on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Actually, that's a point.
    Given that the first game never got a PAL release, is Katamari Forever a decent substitute?

Noby Noby needs to be approached the right way. It's ideal for relaxing in short bursts.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm going to get Katamari Forever. Maybe some day I will get the old ps2 games. I want to roll in 1080.

I really love the bizarre design in these games. One of the Cousins is named Dangle, and he walks on his hands and uses his little feet to steer the katamari. So weird, but so great.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Since I don't own a PS2 or PS3 I'm limited to the Katamaris that are released outside of those systems.

I own the PSP title and the iPhone/iPod Touch title with only the 360 version left to acquire.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Since I don't own a PS2 or PS3 I'm limited to the Katamaris that are released outside of those systems.

I own the PSP title and the iPhone/iPod Touch title with only the 360 version left to acquire.

You can get the 360 Katamari game on Games on Demand. I think its like $20.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Skull2185 wrote: »

You can get the 360 Katamari game on Games on Demand. I think its like $20.

I considered that but I need to acquire more storage for my 360.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    UbuRoiAAUbuRoiAA Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have Beautiful Katamari on the 360 and I like it, but I can't compare since it's the only Katamari game I ever played.

UbuRoiAA on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    From what I have gathered from reviews, Forever is pretty much more of the same, but in 1080. So I am getting it.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    We Love Katamari is by far the best in the series.

I am however enjoying Beautiful Katamri for the 360 now that I finally tracked it down. But it sucks you have to download half the game. dlc at its worst. :x

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Katamari Forever also added a jump, activated by flicking the Sixaxis upwards... or you could save yourself the trouble and press one of the shoulder buttons instead (I forget which). However, We Love Katamari has the best music in the series; some of the Forever remixes are just plain crap.

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    We Love Katamari is by far the best in the series.

I am however enjoying Beautiful Katamri for the 360 now that I finally tracked it down. But it sucks you have to download half the game. dlc at its worst. :x

Going to have to second We Love Katamari as the best of the series, although the newest one for the PS3 was quite good too.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I thought We Love was okay but the 360 one is pretty terrible.
    Less of the same, actually, since there are a number of taunting DLC options.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg