As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Networking Guru's, help me out!

Hey AshtrayHey Ashtray Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I posted a couple weeks ago about some internet woes. Basically, I was being told that my laptop IP address was the same as the Router's IP address, which was causing some problems with internet sharing.

So today I went to my routers page in Safari (typing 192.168.2.1 into the address bar), and noticed that under advanced settings the Private Network ip is set to 'Configure Manually'. There, the IP is set as 192.168.2.1, whereas the default option shows 192.168.1.0.

I feel like if I switched the router over to default, my problems would be solved, BUT: I live with 5 other people. The warning at the top of the page states:

"If you change the IP address range, you must renew the DHCP lease on all devices on the network."

If I set the router to default IP, is this gonna fuck anyone up? Or will everyone's computers just reconnect to it automatically? Usually I'd just go ahead and do this, but I just moved in and don't want to break the internet.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hey Ashtray on

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If your laptop has a manual IP, supposedly set to 192.168.2.1, changing the router IP won't solve anything. All you'll be doing is shifting everyone's addresses (they'll automatically get a new address if they're set to dynamic (usually)) and your laptop will be all on it's own with no connection. It won't be conflicting anymore, sure, but you won't have any connection to your network. :P

The solution is to tell your laptop to grab an IP address dynamically, is there a reason you aren't doing that?

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yes it'll fuck them up, but only temporarily or if they have a static IP.

If your IP address is 192.168.2.1 and your router's ip is 192.168.2.1 then you'll have issues. Are you thinking changing the third group of numbers will keep you kosher? It's the very last digit you have to worry about on a LAN.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Ok so I went ahead and set the router/modem to default.

My router ip is now 192.168.1.254. I'm running a mac, so when I check my IP in terminal using ifconfig en0 it tells me it is 192.168.2.1. When I go to Network Preferences, get to the TCP/IP tab through Airport, it tells me my IPv4 is 192.168.1.64. Are these the same thing, or is IPv4 something else?

What I'm trying to do is share the internet from the ethernet port to my Xbox. I've had this working before at a different apartment with a different router. If I put in the 192.168.2.1 as my IP, the xbox connects to the network but fails connecting to the internet. It says:

Your DNS server can't resolve the names of the Xbox LIVE servers or Xbox.com

Your Console has these manually-defined DNS settings:

Primary DNS: 192.168.1.254 (My Router)
    Secondary DNS: 192.168.1.254 (again)

I don't know if you're still following this. I didn't choose a manual IP for my laptop. If I use the IPv4 address, the xbox won't even make it as far as connecting to the network.

Anyway, hopefully you can help, I've been beating my head against this for a couple weeks.

Hey Ashtray on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    So you have internet sharing through your laptop wireless, the XBOX plugged into the wired port of the laptop?

Assuming it doesn't break anything with however you setup the sharing, change your 192.168.2.1 IP to 192.168.1.253 so that it's on the same subnet (since you changed to 192.168.1.x now) and it shouldn't be conflicting with anything so may be good to go at that.

If not then you'll need to reconfigure the sharing stuff, I'm not familiar with that on mac side.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    What's the point of the internet sharing again?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm assuming he can't wire it straight into the router from wherever his XBOX is and he doesn't have a wireless adapter for it.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Man it'd almost be worth buying a $50 cable to not have to deal with this kind of nightmare in the future.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    You're right! But I've had this working before and it has been so easy, I just followed a guide and it was painless. The only reason I'm putting this much time into it is because I know it can work.

Here's the latest: I changed my IP to 192.168.1.253. Airport tells me this is my IP, so does one of those stupid what is your ip sites, but when I run ifconfig en0 it still tells me my inet is 192.168.2.1, and the Xbox will STILL only connect to the network using that address. Not my actual IP address. And it still blames the inability to connect to the internet on my DNS settings.

I'm at a loss.

Edit: Why, when even the router page shows my Devices IP as 192.168.1.253, will the XBOX only respond to 192.168.2.1, when this is no longer even my IP? It is baffling, haha.

Hey Ashtray on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Macs.

Without being there (and being completely stupid to the networking commands for Macs) I think I'm pretty much at a loss here.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    You're right! But I've had this working before and it has been so easy, I just followed a guide and it was painless. The only reason I'm putting this much time into it is because I know it can work.

Here's the latest: I changed my IP to 192.168.1.253. Airport tells me this is my IP, so does one of those stupid what is your ip sites, but when I run ifconfig en0 it still tells me my inet is 192.168.2.1, and the Xbox will STILL only connect to the network using that address. Not my actual IP address. And it still blames the inability to connect to the internet on my DNS settings.

I'm at a loss.

Edit: Why, when even the router page shows my Devices IP as 192.168.1.253, will the XBOX only respond to 192.168.2.1, when this is no longer even my IP? It is baffling, haha.

You changed the wrong IP, you want to leave your wireless (airport) to dynamic (like it did before when it grabbed .64) and change the en0 one.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Could this be a port forwarding thing? Is there any chance it can't resolve the DNS info because the router isn't allowing Xbox Live to connect through it?

Hey Ashtray on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Infidel wrote: »

I'm at a loss.

You changed the wrong IP, you want to leave your wireless (airport) to dynamic (like it did before when it grabbed .64) and change the en0 one.

Yes! That is what I want to do! Do you have any idea how to do it, haha? Cause you're absolutely right.

But it seems what the xbox isn't liking isn't the IP address, it's my DNS Server info, which I believe is the Router IP, correct?

Hey Ashtray on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Ahah I see what's happening now.

You have 2 networks. So your setup should look like this:

networkdiagram.gif

Your whole network set up should be like so, if I understand this right:

Router:
    IP : 192.168.1.254
    Leave everything else defaults

Apple PC:
    Airport: DHCP should work here
    LAN: 192.168.2.1
    ... not sure what else you'd need to set up here for internet config.

XBox:
    LAN: 192.168.2.whatever (needs to be on the same network as that LAN card in your apple)
    DNS: 192.168.2.1
    Gateway: 192.168.2.1

bowen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah! Except I'm using a laptop, can you redraw that reflect my setup?

Just jokes, that's exactly it.

The router and Mac info is correct. How come you have my DNS on the xbox as 192.168.2.1? From what I've read my DNS should be set as my router's IP.

This is obviously a little over my head, but thank you for the help so far.

Hey Ashtray on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I have helped people with Macs before but that was when I had one available for me to work out the steps.

I don't right now so I can't really give you any detailed instructions sorry. We all know what needs to be done, it's just how. :P Someone surely will come along that knows.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Haha, thanks anyway! It's going to end up being something really simple, I know it.

Edit: Portforwading didn't do anything, it's still failing when trying to connect to the DNS, with both 192.168.1.254 or 192.168.2.1 as the DNS.

Hey Ashtray on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

The router and Mac info is correct. How come you have my DNS on the xbox as 192.168.2.1? From what I've read my DNS should be set as my router's IP.

The DNS should generally be your router's IP address, however, I believe that when Internet Connection Sharing is running, the Laptop is basically acting as a router for the xbox, so it should be your laptop's IP.

Edit: Sorry, actually I wasn't paying enough attention. The gateway should be your laptop's IP address. The subnet should be 255.255.255.0, and according to this: http://macapper.com/2009/01/29/tutorial-mac-internet-sharing-with-xbox-360/ the DNS should in fact be your router address. However, there are then some comments at the bottom that indicate that it doesn't work for them unless they use the laptop IP as the DNS.

Have you opened the ports the xbox needs in your Mac's firewall (if you're running one)?

Daenris on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Daenris wrote: »

The DNS should generally be your router's IP address, however, I believe that when Internet Connection Sharing is running, the Laptop is basically acting as a router for the xbox, so it should be your laptop's IP.

This link agrees:
    http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20041112101646643

Yeah, and this is how it worked last time, sooo simple. So I'm doing all of this, and it's not working. Stupid Xbox not being able to auto detect all this stuff.

Hey Ashtray on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Maybe run the wizard again?

bowen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, I run it every time I make a change. No dice, and I'm heading out now so ef this. If you guys think of anything else I will try it as soon as I get back.

2701HG-G Gateway is my router, maybe that has something to do with this.

Hey Ashtray on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I vote buy a large fucking cable. :^:

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Here's some lime in your coke. Maybe we should advise him to drink it all up?

bowen on
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    bowen wrote: »

Here's some lime in your coke. Maybe we should advise him to drink it all up?

For example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119165

100 feet, under $15, and you don't have to worry about whether your laptop is getting a decent wireless signal to share.

Daenris on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You can get 100ft of Cat5 for just shy of 9 bucks at monoprice.com. If you only need, say, 50ft, you can get it for just under 5. Shipping not included.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Haha, yes yes. But there's something so satisfying about solving a computer problem, isn't there? I'll look into stringing a cable through the house, but again I share it with a lot of people and the router is in someone elses room. I'll probably just buy the adapter.

Hey Ashtray on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]