As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Quest (PA)IX!! FINAL INSTRUCTIONS!! OP UPDATED!! I'M YELLING!

• Options
    BarbadusBarbadus Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    MoociferX wrote: »
    The Mrs. and I are making T-Shirts today with our characters on them! September 3rd can't come soon enough, eh.

Nice! Any chance at seeing some mock-ups of the what the shirt's are gonna look like?

Barbadus on
  • Options
    ShigglesShiggles Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm a little late for the twitter update but here be me:

@promotefreehugs

11 days until PAX! See you all there.:mrgreen:

Shiggles on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Beat the game, time to map hunt and shit.

@ArikadoPA

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Definitely packing DQIX for PAX. @Artereis.

Artereis on
  • Options
    monkeyholemonkeyhole Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm going to suggest we all use the hashtag #PAXDQIX to differentiate ourselves from the regular #PAX tags and the regular #DQIX tags once the convention begins.

What do you guys think? Because I think I'm a genius.

monkeyhole on
  • Options
    TeletheusTeletheus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    incubusjax wrote: »
    I'll be a PAX all three days and I'm bringing my DQIX!

I just got it and a DS last week. I really love it, I never liked hand held games before but I love the DS and DQiX, so glad I decided to pick both up!

Same here. On all counts. Last handheld I owned was the original Game Boy. :) The DSi is pretty awesome, though.

I know there's a lot of talk about passerby connections and maps, but are there any plans to meet up and play together? I don't know anyone else around here that has the game, so I haven't had the opportunity to try the multiplayer mode yet and I'm not really sure how it works.

Teletheus on
    PSN/XBL/Steam/Twitter: Teletheus
  • Options
    KjeldorKjeldor Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    Teletheus wrote: »
    I don't know anyone else around here that has the game, so I haven't had the opportunity to try the multiplayer mode yet and I'm not really sure how it works.
    Same here. I've had the game for a bit now, but only really started playing it this past weekend, so I missed out on the gamestop and bestbuy events and such. Total noob when it comes to the MP aspect of the game.

Kjeldor on
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Teletheus wrote: »
    are there any plans to meet up and play together?

I believe a meetup is planned for Friday at 3pm in the Handheld Lounge.

akjak on
    Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    KjeldorKjeldor Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    Is that the same place as "Console, Tabletop, Handheld and PC Freeplay" listed in the gaming schedule? Just a heads up, the 2nd round of the omegathon is at 3:30 in there.

Kjeldor on
  • Options
    MoosiferXMoosiferX Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Barbadus wrote: »
    Nice! Any chance at seeing some mock-ups of the what the shirt's are gonna look like?

Here's mine:
    canvassing1.jpg

It'll just be that image on a black T-shirt. My wife hasn't finished up her design yet, but I'll post it when she does!

MoosiferX on
  • Options
    ArkanoidArkanoid Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I will be using the shirt I got with the Best Buy map as a flag of some sort. Hopefully somehow attached to my backpack and visible from across the room. Be on the lookout for:
    PartySlime_KD.jpg

Arkanoid on
  • Options
    honestDhonestD Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    monkeyhole wrote: »
    I'm going to suggest we all use the hashtag #PAXDQIX to differentiate ourselves from the regular #PAX tags and the regular #DQIX tags once the convention begins.

Genius! I'm down with this if you all are...

Also, OP updated!

honestD on
    In Vancouver? Want to meet up and play some Games?
    http://www.meetup.com/Vancouver-Gamers-Group/

Now with Twitter! @HonestoDoragon

Pokemon Black: 4555 9510 3686
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    akjak wrote: »
    I believe a meetup is planned for Friday at 3pm in the Handheld Lounge.

Awesome. Would it be worthwhile to get a head count on who's playing as what vocations? I just hit the part of the game where I can change vocations if I want (I know, I know, I'm behind) and I'm wondering if there's a particular vocation I should be advancing to make for better grouping at PAX. Right now I'm leaning toward the Warrior or Priest classes (I think I want to go Paladin eventually), but I can see how the Warrior class in particular might be pretty popular, and it seems like a party of 4 Warriors might not work all that well in multiplayer.

Teletheus on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Currently my party looks like this:

MC - Paladin level 35
    Priest - 41
    Mage - 38
    Martial Artist - 35 (will go back to Ranger when his claw skill is max)

akjak on
  • Options
    ndotondoto Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Arkanoid wrote: »
    I will be using the shirt I got with the Best Buy map as a flag of some sort. Hopefully somehow attached to my backpack and visible from across the room. Be on the lookout for:
    PartySlime_KD.jpg
    I regret missing the Best Buy events more than ever now. Oh my gosh. That is freakin' AWESOME.
    monkeyhole wrote: »

Sounds like a plan to me! :^:
    akjak wrote: »
    Currently my party looks like this:

MC - Paladin level 35
    Priest - 41
    Mage - 38
    Martial Artist - 35 (will go back to Ranger when his claw skill is max)

Oh man, I'm so behind! My MC is still a level 22 Minstrel, and I don't think any of my other party members have made it to 20 yet. I just finished the Alltrades Abbey event, so I've been trying to complete the class unlock quests you pick up there.

ndoto on
    3DS: 4038-6001-4289
  • Options
    ZerhackermanZerhackerman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I wouldnt worry about being "behind" I bet there will be a pretty wide range of levels and experience. not to mention just the pure relief of having someone, ANYONE, to play with

Zerhackerman on
  • Options
    BitTWistBitTWist Kitsap CountyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Is there any correlation between Grotto level difficulty and MC level. If I have a party of lvl 40 characters, should I be able to complete a lvl 40 grotto?

BitTWist on
    3DS:2552-1222-3225 / PSN:BitTwist
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, don't worry about "behind," I'm not. I might even finish the main story by PAX, but I might not. So long as you've opened up tag mode at the Quester's Rest, you'll be able to get down on some social DQ ;)

akjak on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    In regards to none of us being the same levels -- I'm sure some of us people who are higher up in level would be happy to revocate and start fresh. Once you get a Metal King Slime map you can pretty much level to 30 or so on just a few guys!

It'd actually be a lot of fun to have a group of us start fresh and see how fast we can get back to 99. :mrgreen:

MoosiferX on
  • Options
    SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    MoosiferX wrote: »
    In regards to none of us being the same levels -- I'm sure some of us people who are higher up in level would be happy to revocate and start fresh. Once you get a Metal King Slime map you can pretty much level to 30 or so on just a few guys!

It'd actually be a lot of fun to have a group of us start fresh and see how fast we can get back to 99. :mrgreen:

Once you get a MKS map and can survive to get there and live through the non MKS on the floor (only MKS were visible, but they like to have friends)

Solelron on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Solelron wrote: »
    Once you get a MKS map and can survive to get there and live through the non MKS on the floor (only MKS were visible, but they like to have friends)

My MKS map has them on the first 3-4 floors, fortunately. As far as avoiding the tougher mobs, Holy Water/Vanish is my BFF. My friends and I just split up onto different floors hunting them until we can find one, and it's been working out great!

And the frequency with which they bring friends seems to be pretty low on the map I have. So it shouldn't be too much of a problem. ^^

MoosiferX on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Solelron wrote: »

My MKS map has them on the first 3-4 floors, fortunately. As far as avoiding the tougher mobs, Holy Water/Vanish is my BFF. My friends and I just split up onto different floors hunting them until we can find one, and it's been working out great!

And the frequency with which they bring friends seems to be pretty low on the map I have. So it shouldn't be too much of a problem. ^^

My MKS map brings all the boys to the yard... I could teach you, but you'll have to grind.

I was thinking of doing a couple of events for the "3pm" meetup:

a) Those of us who have the Masayuki map beaten (the "haves") could tag and then guide people who don't have the map (have nots) through the map. That is, the have not would go down to lvl 15 solo where the MKS live (the promised land), then call to arms a bunch of other people into their game. With Vanish and holy water, it's easier for a single person to make it through the map all the way down to Lvl 15. Grind for a bit, then beat the map, unlocking for the host. Lather, rinse, repeat.

b) All the haves, just show up to the event already inviting people into your game, with you waiting on Lvl 15. Put out a call to arms, and BOOM (headshot), instant grind fodder for the have-nots.

Wujda think?

Also, I'm doing a Paladin (lvl 88, 2nd rev, probably have a couple more revs before PAX if SCII doesn't get in the way too much), but can change to fit the party. Woo!

honestD on

• Options
    PythosPythos Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I am pretty excited by this. I haven't been able to attend any events in the Houston area and I can't wait for post-story goodness.

I am closing in on the end of the story. Only
    Barbarus and Corvus to beat.

Hopefully that will get accomplished tonight. That should give me some time to get some maps before next weekend. See y'all there.

Pythos on
    PinnyPal Lanyard

azNQyjX.png

XBLA: Pythos07
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    honestD wrote: »
    Wujda think?

Also, I'm doing a Paladin (lvl 88, 2nd rev, probably have a couple more revs before PAX if SCII doesn't get in the way too much), but can change to fit the party. Woo!

Sounds solid to me!

How did you end up getting the Masayuki map anyways? I'd always heard about it when the game came out in Japan. Can you canvass the Japanese version of the game? Or did you just end up getting it by chance? Just curious! I'm pretty stoked to get it.

MoosiferX on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Wujda think?

Sounds solid to me!

How did you end up getting the Masayuki map anyways? I'd always heard about it when the game came out in Japan. Can you canvass the Japanese version of the game? Or did you just end up getting it by chance? Just curious! I'm pretty stoked to get it.

I actually got given the Masayuki map at a local meetup. haven't beaten it yet (not ready with only level 50ish chars) but have made it to 15. But by the time I got down there I was so beat up that anytime something partnered with the slimes I was getting blasted.

I think both the options sound good. Share the map out+help us others out to get the map available to share.

Solelron on
  • Options
    CovetCovet Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wujda think?

Great idea! Maybe we should also add an MC list to the OP?

I'm bringing a Sage who is currently 44 (+2), but I'm hoping to have her at least at 80 (+3) for PAX. Hey, everyone's gotta have a goal in life, eh?

I also feel like there are some loose ends on additional meetups. Did we want to try to schedule something on Saturday and Sunday, too? Since 3 pm didn't work for those days, what about noon at one of the handheld lounges?

Covet on
  • Options
    BinkleyBinkley Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Could I get added to the twitter list? (Username is my forum name)

Though I guess I am like a slumdog with my level 20 minstrel and 0 maps. :P

Binkley on
    A video blog about random jank:
    The KB Life
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    You're added :)

akjak on
  • Options
    DTJAAAAMDTJAAAAM Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Covet wrote: »
    Great idea! Maybe we should also add an MC list to the OP?

Good idea. Like I said a few posts back, my level 99 warrior +10 will be able to help out for a little while.

DTJAAAAM on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Updated OP and added some character classes/lvl.revocation.

Please note that as we approach PAX, people's levels are going to change, so this list may not be accurate for the purposes of LFG (ie unemployed dude who's the same level as you now is going to go through four or five revocations in the two weeks until PAX.)

Please post your PROJECTED main class(with current lvl.rev) that you'll play at PAX and lead it with your twitter user name, just to make it a bit easier for me to correlate who's who on the list. Example:

@HonestoDoragon Paladin 99.2

Thanks!

honestD on

• Options
    BitTWistBitTWist Kitsap CountyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    ok, I may be missing something, but how ar you guys leveling so fast? I finished the main story with my MC being lvl 38. Just now hit lvl 40 after a week. Is there a certain place or method for gaining good xp?

BitTWist on
    3DS:2552-1222-3225 / PSN:BitTwist
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    BitTWist wrote: »
    ok, I may be missing something, but how ar you guys leveling so fast? I finished the main story with my MC being lvl 38. Just now hit lvl 40 after a week. Is there a certain place or method for gaining good xp?

I know that me & DT are both levelling on the Masayuki map, some others are using good old stick-to-ivity!

honestD on

• Options
    edited August 2010

I'm almost ready to go back to the misayuki map, but i'm currently using the bowhole to gather some skillpoints, plus 10K exp per Liquid metal slime.

Solelron on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Just went from Minstrel to Warrior yesterday; planning on going Paladin eventually, but not sure I'll unlock that in time to level it for PAX. Then again, considering that I'm still at a relatively low level -- 11ish, I think -- maybe I should try a less popular support class (like Priest). Any suggestions?

Teletheus on
  • Options
    Blackfox138Blackfox138 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    No Twitter acc, but I totally plan on hanging with ya'll doing some multiplayer 8D
    MC: 99 Arma no revoc but completed all other class trees. Masayuki map is a great help...

If I feel like it I might try to 99 all the other classes... if I feel like it.

Blackfox138 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Is there a certain place or method for gaining good xp?

Metal Slimes in Quarantomb > Metal Medleys in the Bad Cave > Liquid Metal Slimes in the Bow Hole
    OR
    Any grotto map with lotsa King Metal Slimes

Any member of the metal slime family is worth boatloads of xp. So I hunt them when I don't feel like advancing the story right then (about to hit Gittingham Palace).

Sometimes it's fun to just grind a few levels in a grotto. :)

akjak on
  • Options
    CovetCovet Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I know that me & DT are both levelling on the Masayuki map, some others are using good old stick-to-ivity!

I, too, grind my levels in the Masayuki map. I go there once a day so I can get the treasure resets, but I pretty much live there the entire weekend.

@puckgoodfellow Sage 99.2

(I'll update if I think I'll get another revocation in, but for now, that's what I'll definitely be able to bring.)

Covet on
  • Options
    mtjimmermtjimmer Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm mostly a novice myself, but for those who are coming to the party, and feel under-leveled:

I picked up level 100 spear, and a demon spear - thunder thrust is a 50% KO chance...very useful against metal slimes and liquid metal slimes that you might have access to. Demon Spear is something like a 10% KO effect, for any kind of swing that does damage. This means you can feel like you're participating in the kills, instead of just watching.

I haven't used Holy Water and Vanish yet...Vanish is a 32-point Ranger ability. (I'll have both ready for the show.) And I can get better maps! Ah...

Looking forward to meeting up - not a twitter person, but I'll definitely be around. Not sure what class I'll be running around as though. Mage has Oomph, which is pretty handy for boosting melee types - do you guys typically handle your own boosts in multi-player?

mtjimmer on
    3DS: 4940-5610-9523; Pokemon Safari: [Poison] Gloom, Ariados, Whirlipede
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    To Clarify: I'll add another spoiler in the OP for non-Twitter participants, but please post your info IN THE FOLLOWING FORMAT:

<forumname> <Class> <lvl.revocation>

Like this:

HonestD Paladin 99.2

This is mostly because I'm a lazy fuck and don't want to do any more work than simply cutting and pasting. Thanks for your co-operation!

honestD on

• Options
    edited August 2010
    This is going to change drastically in level by PAX, but:

@akjak Paladin 38

akjak on