As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Steam Support

ForkesForkes Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
When I first started using Steam, it was terrible. I could not get anything to work properly on it. Then it got better! And I was happy.

Since then I have been singing it's praise, telling everyone to check out the deals, and pretty much bullying people into installing it.

Recently (last Friday), I purchased COD 4, for the sole purpose of playing online. I really don't care about the multiplayer. I purchased it from Steam, and did the old digital download, as it seems like it's the easiest thing to do these days. The thing is, whenever I am trying to play online, it is asking me for the CD Key.

I have followed the steps listed on the Steam support page, and I can't find this key anywhere. I checked the email I got from them, nothing. I set up a ticket/support email with them, but that was last Friday, and I have not gotten a response yet.

Any ideas on how I can speed this process up?

siggy-1.jpg
Forkes on

• Options
    GoofballGoofball Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Find the game in your Steam Library, right click on it and select "View game CD key".

If that doesn't work for you you'll have to wait for Steam Support. They are notoriously slow but they will eventually respond. Patience.

Goofball on
    Twitter: @TheGoofball
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Right clicking on the game in the list and selecting "View CD Key" doesn't do it, I presume?

edit: DRAT, BEATEN AGAIN.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, there is just no option for it when I right click it. The single player works fine, but it asks me to verify the CD key when I try and play online.

Forkes on
    siggy-1.jpg
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Forkes wrote: »
    Yeah, there is just no option for it when I right click it. The single player works fine, but it asks me to verify the CD key when I try and play online.

I think it might be under "View Support Information" in the right-click menu.

Are their seperate launchers for COD4? I can't remember, but check both the singleplayer and multiplayer launchers if there is.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    These are the only options that I have.
    steam.jpg

When I launch it, it asks me if I want to launch the Single or Multiplayer.

Forkes on
    siggy-1.jpg
  • Options
    BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The "View Support Info" is in that "Properties" in the right-click menu if I recall.

BoomShake on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    There is no "View Support Info" in there. Only a General tab, Updates, Local Files and Language, none of which have anything like a serial or CD Key.

Sigh. And still no word from Steam.

Forkes on
    siggy-1.jpg
  • Options
    blakfeldblakfeld Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i think you can view it if you do the shifty tab thing from inside the game

blakfeld on
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I believe if you hit the shift-tab thing to bring up the Steam menu in game it may show you the cd key, or at least give you a link to it.

emp123 on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2010
    Should be on the right on the full game page in your library:

cdkey.jpg

Echo on
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh and to head off another H/A thread in the making you'll need to disable the steam overlay to play CoD 4 online otherwise punkbuster kicks you from the game.

Casual on