As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Age 2 - [PLEASE POST IN NEW THREAD]

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What was that line from the Mass Effect thread?

"I'm sorry I can't bear you children Shepard..."

That's horrible!
    "No exclusive organization. No saving the world. No ancient evil." [David Gaider]

Awww, how can I go on without saving the universe from an ancient and all powerful evil?

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

That's horrible!
    "No exclusive organization. No saving the world. No ancient evil." [David Gaider]

Awww, how can I go on without saving the universe from an ancient and all powerful evil?

Oh, I hope there's a long tutorial area, followed by a quest to find four magic artifacts I have to collect and I can choose which order I go after them in!

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    dragonagecentral is so sad now that they moved the official forums

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Story structure sounds like Alpha Protocol
    Which is not a bad thing

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

That's horrible!

Oh, I hope there's a long tutorial area, followed by a quest to find four magic artifacts I have to collect and I can choose which order I go after them in!

Maybe they will form part of a magic sword, or staff, or dagger.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    finnith wrote: »

That's horrible!

Maybe they will form part of a magic sword, or staff, or dagger.

There also needs to be an older type character who serves as T-Hawks mentor who dies valiantly at the end of that tutorial.

Edit for T-Hawk: Sf-thawk2.gif

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The BSN forums have a thread listing what's known so far:
    Until there's an official FAQ, I thought it might be useful to post what few cold, hard facts we have in one place, with links.

DA2 home page: http://dragonage.bioware.com/da2/
    Official DA Twitter: http://twitter.com/dragonage

From the press release:

* The main character's surname is Hawke

* Hawke survived "the Blight"

* Hawke is known as "the Champion of Kirkwall"

* Hawke is a "refugee"

* DA2's story will span 10 years

* DA2 will be released in March 2011 for PC, XBox 360, and PS3

From the forums:

* Morrigan is NOT Hawke's mother; Hawke is NOT the "god baby" [Victor Wachter]

* Hawke can be male or female [David Gaider], [Mary Kirby], [Chris Priestly]

* Hawke is human [Chris Priestly]

* DA2 is a single-player game [Chris Priestly]

* "More than half" of the Dragon Age left by the time Awakening begins [David Gaider]

* "Hawke can, indeed, be a mage." [Mary Kirby]

* There will be more DLC and patches for DAO before DA2 is released [Chris Priestly], [Chris Priestly]

* No word so far on different editions [Chris Priestly]

* There is no "morality meter" in the style of Mass Effect's Paragon/Renegade meter [David Gaider]

* The game does NOT take place "10 years after Origins." It SPANS a 10-year period. When it starts hasn't been revealed. [David Gaider]

* There will be companions/followers [David Gaider]

* You won't be able to romance your sister Bethany. [David Gaider] Just in case you were...you know...wondering.

* "No exclusive organization. No saving the world. No ancient evil." [David Gaider]

* All Hawke voiceover artists have already been cast. [David Gaider]

From GameInformer (take with a grain of salt, some links not available - Summary Here):

* Hawke will be voiced [Five Facts]

* Hawke lived in Lothering during the events of DA:O, fled north to Kirkwall [Five Facts]

* Kirkwall is a major population center in the Free Marches [Five Facts]

* "Hawke will also spend time in other areas of the Free Marches" [Five Facts]

* Game will use imported save from Dragon Age: Origins [Print magazine]

* Flemeth will appear [Print magazine]

* Intra-party conflict may be more significant (?) [Print magazine]

* Mass Effect-style dialogue wheel with paraphrased lines and symbols denoting tone [Print magazine]

* “Dragon Age II has a framed narrative structure, which means that the exploits of Hawke occured in the past, but are being retold in the present.” [Print magazine]

* "At the current point in the timeline, Hawke is already the Champion of Kirkwall" “Narrators with unique insights into the events in question tell the tale of his past adventures.” [Print magazine]

* Events from Dragon Age: Origins may be seen from a different viewpoint [Print magazine]

* PC combat largely unchanged, console combat changed to better suit the controller [Print magazine]

From German gaming site GameStar [English translation]:

* Bethany is a companion who is a mage and also Hawke's sister.

* Cassandra is an "Inquisitor" with an "interest" in Hawke. (Whatever that means)

* Varric is a Dwarf who was with Hawke on his travels and is a narrator

From elsewhere:

* Kirkwall is located on the southern edge of the Vimmark Mountains, north of Ferelden [this map]
    I'm glad to see that there wont be a morality meter - that makes me less concerned about the simplifcation of the dialogue system.

I suggest you don't go there yourself looking for info, I barely made it out alive. Rabid talifans everywhere.

Thanks for posting this.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Whatever, kids. I'm naming my character Mosquito.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxorhynchites

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Hopefully Bethany doesn't die or disappear right before the end of the tutorial mission. Still, I have this feeling Bethany's going to pull a Theresa on us.

finnith on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Theresa? Who?

Also, apparently they just chose to release the bad concept art:
    Also, patch 1.04 is coming this week, apparently.

And dragon age central apparently doesn't crawl the DA2 board

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Hopefully Bethany doesn't die or disappear right before the end of the tutorial mission. Still, I have this feeling Bethany's going to pull a Theresa on us.

Varric looks pretty good, but Cassandra looks a bit too weird.

Theresa was your sister from Fable 1 for those who don't get the reference.

finnith on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    ...and what did she pull?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    It's more the fact that the Fable games seems to have a kind of tradition of having terrible things happening to your in-game sister. I guess Molyneux has some unfinished buisness in that regard..

Silpheed on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    She pulled a "be abducted by bandits and spend most of your life being beaten and raped until your latent magical powers manifest and you use them to obtain a place of power next to the bandit king"

So...it's unlikely it'll happen here, too.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It starts in Lothering just as Ferelden is hit by the Blight, so you never know. They might pull a Mhairi.

finnith on
  • Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Also, apparently they just chose to release the bad concept art:

Urgh, the concerns about the graphics seem more reasonable now considering this is what they're aiming for.

Looks like some dumb cartoon. They should get Guild Wars' artists.

Jimmy Marku on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Silpheed wrote: »
    It's more the fact that the Fable games seems to have a kind of tradition of having terrible things happening to your in-game sister. I guess Molyneux has some unfinished buisness in that regard..

I hope she doesn't get kidnapped because traveling with family members is always fun in RPGs.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It saddens me that I won't be able to play a dwarf. Maybe there will be a mod for it snuck in between the nude and hardcore sex mods.

Strikor on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's kind of weird but I kind of like the way Bioware are going with the art style for DA 2. Since most attempts for photorealism in games tend to give you characters that looks like they lack a chromosome or two I kind of prefer the "saturday cartoon" style.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I really, really hope that the romantic interludes are better than Dragon Age's

Mass Effect 1's were okay, Mass Effect 2's were downright tasteful, Dragon Age's made me physically ill

That goddamn music was the worst music ever

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »

Mass Effect 1's were okay, Mass Effect 2's were downright tasteful, Dragon Age's made me physically ill

Yeah.

I would go one further. At this point I would like the option to just cut the sex scenes out if you want. Honestly, a fade to black would be okay for me.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »

Yeah.

I would go one further. At this point I would like the option to just cut the sex scenes out if you want. Honestly, a fade to black would be okay for me.

Half the time, this is what Mass Effect 2 did

And I was A-OK with it!

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That or they need to go oldish school and bust out the live action full motion videos!

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, what they need to do is go straight old school with it.

Miranda: Hi Shepard, there seems to be something wrong with my computer! What ever shall I do now?

Shepard: Lemme see if I can....fix that for you baby.

Roll Music: Bow chick bow wow

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    NartwakNartwak Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    they should have full frontal nudity so Olivaw pukes on himself in shame

Nartwak on
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ok, back to Dragon Age for a sec.

Long story short, I just traded in the PS3 version. I have a ton of credit right now, and the Gamestop Buy 2 Get 1 used deal ends today. I'm getting the 360 version, but I'm just curious if it's that much better than PS3. In other words, do enemies drop loot immediately like they should? Does the audio cut out for no good reason? Is the framerate dismal? I'm stuck getting it no matter what, cuz my wife loves the game. I just want to make sure it's not going to disappoint me.

Fawst on
  • Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Fawst wrote: »

Long story short, I just traded in the PS3 version. I have a ton of credit right now, and the Gamestop Buy 2 Get 1 used deal ends today. I'm getting the 360 version, but I'm just curious if it's that much better than PS3. In other words, do enemies drop loot immediately like they should? Does the audio cut out for no good reason? Is the framerate dismal? I'm stuck getting it no matter what, cuz my wife loves the game. I just want to make sure it's not going to disappoint me.
    Never had any problems with it in about 100 hours over two play-throughs.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    jefe414 wrote: »
    I disagree.
    txDE5upu93ObbM0.jpg
    922350-rawk_hawk_large.jpg

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Iroh wrote: »
    Fawst wrote: »

Never had any problems with it in about 100 hours over two play-throughs.

Good, cuz on the PS3 I had problems halfway through a 90 hour playthrough, and ever since then it's been fucked. Thanks for the heads up.

Fawst on
  • Options
    HenryVapeHenryVape Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If they are going to put in a sex scene, they need to bust out the saxophones. I will accept no immoral act unless i hear that sexophone vail.

HenryVape on
    tf2_sig.png
    Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

That's horrible!

Oh god, that's not actually dialogue in ME2, that's from a horrible, horrible fanfic that someone found and posted in the ME2 thread.

Causing the thread to be locked.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    3clipse wrote: »

That's horrible!

Oh god, that's not actually dialogue in ME2, that's from a horrible, horrible fanfic that someone found and posted in the ME2 thread.

Causing the thread to be locked.

I know, I found the whole thing to be quite hilarious.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Are we talking about the sex scenes in DA:Origins?

Because holy smokes, I got laid as often as possible so I could laugh hysterically at what the main character's eyeballs do during a sex scene.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Bethany being in the party camp during the sex scenes is going to result in an interesting conversation.

finnith on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Captain K wrote: »
    Are we talking about the sex scenes in DA:Origins?

Because holy smokes, I got laid as often as possible so I could laugh hysterically at what the main character's eyeballs do during a sex scene.

My favorite was if you decide to do the ritual with Morrigan. I know it's supposed to look romantic or whatever, but my character staring at Morrigan while moving back as far as he could on the bed just gave him this look of abject terror which was priceless.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I picked up awakenings during the last steam sale and I'm not interested in continuing to adventure with my previous character. However, I do have another character that I created and never got to play at all. While I can load that character into awakenings, I'm not sure if it consider him a new character or if it considers him the hero form the first game. I'm interested in starting fresh with a new character, anyone have any idea of how this works?

EDIT: figured this out myself, the opening dialogue calls you the hero of frewldyn, even if you load a lower level character. You have to start a new one to start afresh.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Bethany being in the party camp during the sex scenes is going to result in an interesting conversation.

I don't really like opposite sex family party members. Or really young ones. I want to be a conversational force of nature, not have an awkward conversation ripe with mockery about my sex life with my sister/mother/younger brother.

I do that shit in real life way too often anyways.

Kazaka on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I picked up awakenings during the last steam sale and I'm not interested in continuing to adventure with my previous character. However, I do have another character that I created and never got to play at all. While I can load that character into awakenings, I'm not sure if it consider him a new character or if it considers him the hero form the first game. I'm interested in starting fresh with a new character, anyone have any idea of how this works?

EDIT: figured this out myself, the opening dialogue calls you the hero of frewldyn, even if you load a lower level character. You have to start a new one to start afresh.

talk about a butchered word :lol:

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    What's a good mage build for Awakenings?

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »

talk about a butchered word :lol:

Generic Fantasy World #3217

Uselesswarrior on