Options

Blocking Websites on iTouch

MimMim I prefer my lovers…dead.Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm trying to block Facebook on my browser on my iTouch. Is there a way to do it? I tried google but they suggested other apps and I'm wondering if there is a way to do with with the system itself. Any ideas?

Mim on

• Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You could jailbreak your phone and block it at the system level. There is no option built into the OS nor Mobile Safari to block IPs or hostnames. iCab mobile lets you set up filters, and you can disable Safari in the Settings app.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm honestly curious, why would you block sites on a personal handheld device?

Sipex on
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's possible it's for a sibling or relative.

If the iPod will remain on a single wireless network, you could block it at the router level.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    You could jailbreak your phone and block it at the system level. There is no option built into the OS nor Mobile Safari to block IPs or hostnames. iCab mobile lets you set up filters, and you can disable Safari in the Settings app.

Its not an iPhone, just a regular iTouch, and I'm blocking it because I am trying to prevent myself from looking at profile pictures that show up when you google someone and I do not trust my own willpower at the moment.

And if I block it at the router level, will it block everyone else in the house's access to it? The rest of my family does use facebook.

Mim on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just stop googling your ex's name, man.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, backing away from this one... You've answered your own question, and it's apparent the problem lies within you now. Might want to rename the thread to reflect this. It's not the iPod's fault

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    Yeah, backing away from this one... You've answered your own question, and it's apparent the problem lies within you now. Might want to rename the thread to reflect this. It's not the iPod's fault

I'm not...blaming the iTouch? I just want to help myself and I've done it already with my laptop. I see nothing wrong with wanting help to aid me while right now my willpower isn't so strong. I recognize I have a problem, I'm in therapy about it but I also want to help myself and blocking it would help that.

Mim on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    There is a thread at Macrumors about blocking websites on the iPhone, which is no different as far as browsing goes: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=541073

Doesn't look like it's possible, and pretty much comes down to "all or none". I can't remember if the iPod had "parental controls" on it like the phone...

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Mim wrote: »
    And if I block it at the router level, will it block everyone else in the house's access to it? The rest of my family does use facebook.

This depends entirely on the router. My D-Link router allows Web Filters to be setup, but they only take effect if they are added to an Access Control policy. If your router has the same options, then you could easily slap a policy on your iPod Touch's MAC Address.

Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man, technology brings the weirdest problems with it.

Kyougu on