As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] [Shaman], Enhancing your PVPs like crazy

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Flame shock has to be on the target when you cast for the autocrit, so, no.

captaink on
  • Options
    ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Captaink, due to the flight time of Lava Burst, it'll work, but not all the time. I've done it before when I've tried to gank people. It's mostly going to be affected by latency and distance from the mob.

Toothy on
  • Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Toothy wrote: »
    Captaink, due to the flight time of Lava Burst, it'll work, but not all the time. I've done it before when I've tried to gank people. It's mostly going to be affected by latency and distance from the mob.

This is a misperception-- since damage is calculated as you finish a cast there's no way for what you're describing to be the case. What you're seeing is lava burst critting as per your normal crit chance.

Grape Ape on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hmm, I'm positive that there have been a number of spells where several things are not calculated until it hits, but I don't know if they were procs, or hit chance, or whatever else.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Other spells have worked that way, but not lava burst.

Netherwind Presence, for a very old example.

captaink on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Played around with WoWTal 2 a bit today, and decided this will be my enhancement spec... unless I decide to drop Imp Fire Nova and pick up Call of Flame. Which I believe I will.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Makershot wrote: »
    Played around with WoWTal 2 a bit today, and decided this will be my enhancement spec... unless I decide to drop Imp Fire Nova and pick up Call of Flame. Which I believe I will.

That, and if that Lava Lash Glyph is accurate, you may wanna switch out lightning bolt. Maybe the Nova glyph, depends on whether or not you're raiding.

naengwen on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah Lava Lash is your hardest hitting ability already, boosting it by 20% (again, if glyph is accurate) is extremely worth switching out LB for.

I have no idea what's going on with the SS glyph since SS doesn't boost damage anymore, but increases nature spell crit chance against the target.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Glyph of SS apparently incorrectly states 8% damage. Now provides 8% extra crit.

Top prime glyphs:

Lava Lash
    Feral Spirit
    Stormstrike

Top Priority:

1) MWx5 LB
    2) Feral Spirit
    3) Flame Shock
    4) Searing Totem (if not up)
    5) Lava Lash
    6) Storm strike
    7) Earth Shock
    8) Shammy Rage (w/ 2piece T10)

Stats:
    1) Reforge your haste/crit for Hit/expertise to get capped if you're not already.
    2) Regem Agility instead of Haste.
    3) Reforge your haste/crit for Mastery. Mastery is superboss for Enhance since so much of our damage is elemental.

Dac on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So they never went through with giving enhancement and survival a different mastery bonus, eh? I know when all the masteries were first revealed, there was discussion about how they were supposed to be unique, but enhancement and survival ended up with the same thing.

I don't care one way or the other, but I can see how some people would be disappointed. Of course the two specs go about doing their elemental damage quite differently, but still.

forty on
  • Options
    ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Elitist Jerks are saying Focused Insight is recommended for serious resto shammies. Fuck. That. Shit.

Toldo on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Why fuck that?

Focused Insight is pretty darn good, and its part of the talents designed to make us the most effective when we don't just stand back and spam heals. This is a design I support wholeheartedly.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Is Focused Insight the spirit/hit talent in Elemental? I can't check at the moment. If so, the fuck that is because it would mean no runspeed/instant Ghost Wolf.

So yes, fuck that shit.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    No it's the one that discounts your heals if you cast a shock.

captaink on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Focused Insight: After casting any Shock spell your next heal's mana cost is reduced by 75% of the cost of the Shock spell, and its healing effectiveness is increased by 30%. (At three points)

What else are you going to take to get down the tree anyway? The other three talents available range from "garbage" to "not great" unless you're doing PvP.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Thank god! Because there's no way I'm giving up run speed/instant Ghost Wolf for some lousy efficiency buff.

But yeah... shock/heal/heal/shock doesn't seem too bad. Though, don't Shocks have an awfully high mana cost themselves for what they do? I guess it must be a net gain but I'd think it'd be pretty minor.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Playing around with a Resto build. Can't imagine taking Telluric Currents outside of soloing and PvP, and the glyphs seem good--possibly swap out Earthliving for Water Shield if/when mana management becomes easier to handle, and possibly swap Chain Heal/Healing Wave for Hex, should one's style call for better CC over group/individual heals.

And Focused Insight's main benefit is the the 30% healing boost. Most resto shamans nowadays throw out a few shocks as it is (Earth Shock is great if you don't have a warrior TCing), so it's essentially making those shocks cheaper and your heals beefier.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Also updated the Enhancement glyphs on me other build... I'm considering dropping Ghost Wolf for Chain Lightning as well, but I'd like to see how PvE handles with the new less AoE/more CC mentality first.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Maybe I spoke too soon. I'm all for the healing experience becoming more... less spammy, but I have to figure out how healing is going to feel before throwing in Focused Insight. What would the points come out of, though? Cleansing Waters?

Toldo on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Major Glyphs will be Fire Nova, Chain Lightning, and either Lightning Shield or Shammy Rage.

Dac on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Dac wrote: »
    Major Glyphs will be Fire Nova, Chain Lightning, and either Lightning Shield or Shammy Rage.

I'm not sure AoE-oriented glyphs are necessary for much of 4.0.1.

Ghost Wolf is a reliable bet; indoor GW is the most significant thing Blizzard gave enhancement in Cata. Healing Stream's nice if you plan on light groups/solo stuff. Shammy Rage if you like having control over your own dispels, which can be nice on bosses like Deathwhisper. Lightning Shield depends on how careful Blizzard's been about accidental ticks. Chances are they haven't been, making it a nice choice for PvE and PvP; otherwise, just the latter.

Thinking about it, Grounding Totem seems like a fun one for Battlegrounds, but not practical. Thinking of reflecting those 50k arcane blasts people are qq'ing about right now puts a big, fat grin on my face.

I can't really see why they kept in Glyph of Shocking. Is it still bugged?

naengwen on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I meant for me. sorry, I wasn't clear.

Dac on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Fair enough; go for Lightning Shield. :D

naengwen on
  • Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Now, I wasn't in beta, but trying out the new enhancement mechanics in a dungeon today was a tad awkward. Found myself with a lot of moments waiting for something, be it a stack to complete or a cooldown to finish. I'm guessing things are going to be better once the Unleash Weapon spell is learned?

Also, what should I be gemming for with this update? Haste still, or has that changed to agility?

Dys on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Enhance DPS minmaxers state that Lava Lash should be used once it's up, for now. Don't wait for the stack, just hit it if wolves or MW5 aren't up.

I'd imagine Unleash Weapon will help fill in the blanks, but that's still 15 seconds. Blizzard doesn't want anyone to mash a button on every cooldown, since it doesn't give a lot of time for thought. Too bad there isn't much for thought at the moment.

Survey says Expertise until capped, then Agility for gems. Reforge Mastery from hit if you're over cap, then crit. Some are saying to reforge expertise then mastery; I don't think those people realize we can't gem mastery until level 81, though.

naengwen on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I dunno about level 80, but at level 36, Enhancement busts peoples heads in now :P It jumped in power pre-40 about five fold.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The new sound effects for Lightning Orbs, Lightning Bolts, Chain Lightning, and Stormstrike are incredible.

Xehalus on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I haven't heard Stormstrike and I'm not sure if I've heard Lightning Orbs, but Lightning Bolt and Chain Lightning definitely.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    daggahdaggah Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Shaman questions, since I don't have access to Elitist Jerks:

Enhancement - Do you guys bother with Primal Strike? I made room for it on my action bars but then when I realized it shares a cooldown with Stormstrike, I figured there'd be no reason to hit Primal Strike ever.

Elemental - I'm going to start buying Elemental T10 and building a PvE set...it's somewhat of a priority system because of the flame shock clearing the cooldown on Lava Burst, right? So:

Open with Flame Shock

Priority:

Keep Flame Shock up
    Elemental Mastery
    Lava Burst every time it's up
    Fulmination (9 LS charges)
    Lightning Bolt

Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't seem all that complicated, but actually playing, it doesn't seem to flow very well. Maybe I'm just not used to playing a "nuke" style DPS class (my only other caster I've really leveled is my warlock, and I've always played him as affliction)

Since Totem of Wrath is on any fire totem, but it doesn't seem to stack with Flametongue, do I put down Searing?

Gem priority? Hit to cap, then Int, then Haste? How much intellect does a socket bonus have to give for it to be worth gemming something like Reckless Ametrines?

Reforging: should I reforge mastery? With the spellpower-> intellect conversion, I'm up to like 40% spell crit (pvp gear, at least) That seems pretty high to me, so I was thinking of reforging some of my crit to mastery or haste. The mastery bonus seems nice.

daggah on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Oh, and I know that 4.0.1 just came out, are there any shaman mods that say, "oh hey moron, you have 9 LS charges...hit your earth shock already!" or "wink wink nudge nudge, your Lava Burst just came up available!" Was kinda disappointed that Blizzard's new proc notification system (which is really awesome on my frost 2H spec DK) doesn't notify of stuff like that.

daggah on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    daggah wrote: »
    Oh, and I know that 4.0.1 just came out, are there any shaman mods that say, "oh hey moron, you have 9 LS charges...hit your earth shock already!" or "wink wink nudge nudge, your Lava Burst just came up available!" Was kinda disappointed that Blizzard's new proc notification system (which is really awesome on my frost 2H spec DK) doesn't notify of stuff like that.

I use Power Auras Classic. Takes a little configuring, but it works like a charm.

I agree that Blizzard's version doesn't work with our new stuff, though.

Edit: Daggah:

Primal Strike's purpose is to give low level enhancement shamans a button until they get Stormstrike. It's not meant to be used end-game.

Yes, you probably should drop searing totem. Keep in mind, though that it only has a 20 yard range, whereas your other spells have a 40 yard range.

I'd say gem spirit instead of hit. I provides the same amount of hit rating, but actually provides blue gems.

Reforge crit into haste unless you already have haste on that piece, in which case forge mastery. This is, of course, assuming you're at hit cap with your gear.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Hit is a blue gem now, not sure if you're aware of that.

daggah on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    daggah wrote: »
    Hit is a blue gem now, not sure if you're aware of that.

Ah, touche. Still, I'd go with spirit, if only to be able to use it in resto gear.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    elemental is basically a proc watcher now.

Power Auras really makes it less annoying to. I have it set up so I can see how many lightning shield charges I have, and it pulses when its 9. Then the built in combat text should pop up lava surge when you get it, I have a power auras for that too but the combat text seems to be faster.

I considered making a macro but I am not sure if it would work. If you macroed to cast lava burst and cast lightning bolt in the same macro, but list lava burst first, would it cast lightning bolt when lava burst is on CD? Would be a nice no screw up way of handling things, and would make lag not cause me to miss a lava burst anymore.

Kai_San on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Kai_San wrote: »
    elemental is basically a proc watcher now.

Power Auras really makes it less annoying to. I have it set up so I can see how many lightning shield charges I have, and it pulses when its 9. Then the built in combat text should pop up lava surge when you get it, I have a power auras for that too but the combat text seems to be faster.

I considered making a macro but I am not sure if it would work. If you macroed to cast lava burst and cast lightning bolt in the same macro, but list lava burst first, would it cast lightning bolt when lava burst is on CD? Would be a nice no screw up way of handling things, and would make lag not cause me to miss a lava burst anymore.
    Nope, can't do that. The macro will just try to cast Lava Burst every time (and spam you with "spell is not ready yet" most the time).

forty on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    so no cleansing totem or cure toxins (I think that was the name) anymore? I stopped playing a few months ago and coming back right now I'm a little sad D: I should have looked up these specific changes.

healing is awesome though, virtually infinite mana.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Don't worry, that won't last.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    that's fine! it's great for me getting back into things though

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Quoting myself on another forum:
    OK, public service announcement time. Dunno if there are any holy paladins or resto/ele shamans reading, but if you ARE, and, like me, you had a hard time picking up a decent caster shield, then you have a task next time you log in. Run (don't walk) to the veteran arena vendor in the Dalaran sewers, and go pick up your new Wrathful caster shield for *70* honor. Don't worry about the tooltip saying it has a ratings requirement. Just go right click it and claim it as your own.

For reference, you get 90 bonus honor the first time you win a BG every day. So that should tell you just how much effort is required.

Ele shamans, you can probably easily justify buying the "healer" shield since you get +hit from spirit.

daggah on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    naengwen wrote: »
    Enhance DPS minmaxers state that Lava Lash should be used once it's up, for now. Don't wait for the stack, just hit it if wolves or MW5 aren't up.

If you have ST down, then after your first lava lash, by the time LL comes back up again you'll have a full stack of Searing Flames on your target anyway.

daggah on