As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sturdy headphones

VistiVisti Registered User regular
Hey guys, I'm apparently an idiot with headphones, so I need some new ones. My most recent pair is, or was, a beautiful-sounding pair of Koss Porta Pro 25th Anniversary Editions and, eh, both the ear pads snapped clean off. First the left one, mended it with duct tape, then the right one. Just from taking them off my head. I wasn't particularly rough with these and has had a pair of Portas last me years until I lost them, so I don't know what happened there.

Anyway, I also destroyed the jack of my Sennheiser HD 201s and prior to that also my Koss UR40, which just don't make any sound anymore and I can't find a break or anything going across the cable. All of my friends and my SO use the same Koss stuff (because it plains sounds amazing) with no trouble. So again, I might just be an idiot.

tl;dr - I need some headphones that sound good (I'm spoiled by my previous ones) and that I won't easily destroy. I prefer full-size or overear pads, but can be persuaded by a good suggestion for something else.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Visti on

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Aren't Grados supposed to be built to withstand nuclear war?

wonderpug on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    That's apparently what's needed. I'll give those a looks, thanks!

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    You can replace the jack on your headphones if it came off.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I know, I replaced it with a goldtipped one at one point, but there was also a loose connection in the cable and on top, they weren't that great. I just want something that I can't accidentally snap in half like my latest pair.

And boy, those Grados are expensive. I guess my budget is around their iGrado to SR60 versions, so I'm putting those down as potentials.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sony MDR-7506

I don't leave home without them.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Buy the more expensive ones. Maybe that will force you to be less abusive to them.

:P

I'd love to know how people kill headphones so much. I use my headset at my desk and it hangs on a dragon statue when I don't use it. I have a headset for travel that doesn't leave my laptop. It's mind boggling.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    openflyopenfly Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Grados fall apart. They'll repair em for free, but they fall apart.

I've been pretty happy with the Sony MDR-V6. Which I guess is the mainstay of cheap monitor headphones. At 70 bucks a pop they are pretty damned cheap in spite of being of terrific quality.

Replacing ear pieces is a piece of cake. Plenty of drop in replacements are sold in different materials.

The Frame is collapsible and therefore pretty solid in transit. In use they hold up very well. I have two pairs. I repaired one after it took some damage during a move, but I am a huge fan of these headphones. Old school for sure, but everyone and I mean everyone uses em for remote recording rigs.

I'd recommend these for durability + quality.

Grados are great headphones, but they tend not to hold up well. Easy as hell to repair though if you are the DIY sort.

openfly on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Buy the more expensive ones. Maybe that will force you to be less abusive to them.

I'd love to know how people kill headphones so much. I use my headset at my desk and it hangs on a dragon statue when I don't use it. I have a headset for travel that doesn't leave my laptop. It's mind boggling.

I honestly have no idea. The latest Koss fell apart as I was sitting in front of my laptop with them, I pulled them off my ears to get them off and they just fucking snapped. They are in a case when I travel with them in my bag and I only ever use them walking or just sitting. I'm kinda leaning towards a bad model on that one (especially since I had the same version, just not special edition, last for years).

The other ones.. yeah, I was sort of a jerk to them.

I'm leaning towards one of the MDRs now, they look pretty neat. The 7506 might be a little pricey, though.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Are you looking for earbuds? I've had a set of Sony MDR-XD100 for about two years now. They have taken ridiculous amounts of abuse and still work perfectly.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Visti wrote: »

I honestly have no idea. The latest Koss fell apart as I was sitting in front of my laptop with them, I pulled them off my ears to get them off and they just fucking snapped. They are in a case when I travel with them in my bag and I only ever use them walking or just sitting. I'm kinda leaning towards a bad model on that one (especially since I had the same version, just not special edition, last for years).

The other ones.. yeah, I was sort of a jerk to them.

I'm leaning towards one of the MDRs now, they look pretty neat. The 7506 might be a little pricey, though.

The 7506 and V6 are essentially the same construction, the only difference is sound quality. But a 70 dollar V6 is probably still a pretty reasonable headphone, and dollar for dollar you're going to get more sound from a Sony than, say, a Bose.

Yeah, I said it.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Not a slam on you Visti. I know people who use headphones/headsets purely for desktop computer use and yet still manage to go through multiples in a year. It seriously boggles my mind. I'm not sure if I want to know what violent, acrobatic feats they are attempting at their desks.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Are you looking for earbuds? I've had a set of Sony MDR-XD100 for about two years now. They have taken ridiculous amounts of abuse and still work perfectly.

Not really looking for buds, they hurt my ears after a while. Well, I haven't really tried any higher-range ones, but I seem to also miss a bit of bass from them at times.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    My Sennheiser PX-100s are mostly metal around the frame, and have withstood a pretty solid amount of abuse from me over the years. They also sound fucking nice.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Not a slam on you Visti. I know people who use headphones/headsets purely for desktop computer use and yet still manage to go through multiples in a year. It seriously boggles my mind. I'm not sure if I want to know what violent, acrobatic feats they are attempting at their desks.

This would be me. I am currently on my 3rd pair of headsets for 2010. I don't put strain on the cable, don't abuse them, place them on the desk when I get up and put them on my head when I sit down. Something dies eventually. Either a speaker will stop, the microphone stops or they just fall apart usually at the ear cups. I have terrible luck with headphones. This happens to me with cheap ones (~$50ish) and more expensive ($100 - $200).

I like Sennheisers for straight audio headphones. They seem to last the longest for me and sound pretty good.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Visti wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Not really looking for buds, they hurt my ears after a while. Well, I haven't really tried any higher-range ones, but I seem to also miss a bit of bass from them at times.

Sorry, the ones I recommend aren't buds. Was trying to figure it out. The Sony MDR-XD100 cost like $20 and last through the apocalypse.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm also looking to replace my headphones, Sennheiser PX200s, and rather than create a new thread I'll just put my requirements here instead. I really like them but the jack and cable are fraying due to overuse. Now I could replace the jack I think, since it shouldn't be a complicated procedure, but does anyone have any suggestions for replacements - basically light headphones that would ideally be able to be folded up? Budget - 30-50 pounds/50-100$

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Kalkino wrote: »
    I'm also looking to replace my headphones, Sennheiser PX200s, and rather than create a new thread I'll just put my requirements here instead. I really like them but the jack and cable are fraying due to overuse. Now I could replace the jack I think, since it shouldn't be a complicated procedure, but does anyone have any suggestions for replacements - basically light headphones that would ideally be able to be folded up? Budget - 30-50 pounds/50-100$

PX200 II's?

ronzo on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If you want sound quality with HUGE earpads that cover your ears completely (I wear glasses, and smaller ones that press on the lobes cause pain after an hour or so) what would you guys suggest?

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    yellowdart2yellowdart2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Pheezer wrote: »
    My Sennheiser PX-100s are mostly metal around the frame, and have withstood a pretty solid amount of abuse from me over the years. They also sound fucking nice.

I'd also recommend pretty much any of the Sennheiser headphones. They're fairly sturdy and sound amazing, if you don't mind the higher price tag.

yellowdart2 on
  • Options
    ConnorConnor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have had the same pair of Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's for going on 3 years now. The sound is unbelievable and they are quite sturdy. Not a scratch on them and i certainly don't baby them.

These

Connor on
    XBL/PSN/ORIGIN/STEAM: LowKeyedUp
    2dd40bd72f597f21.png