As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] Rambunctious Young Krogan Lasses

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It'll be great. The movie Shepard will take a renegade interrupt, and half the theater will stand up cheering, the other half will stand up booing.

Orca on
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Of note should probably be that the 3 books released (third impending), none of them have Shepard in them, and they're still great books in a great universe.

Film can do the same.

BlackDove on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    When is the third book supposed to be released anyway.

Dragkonias on
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Orca wrote: »
    It'll be great. The movie Shepard will take a renegade interrupt, and half the theater will stand up cheering, the other half will stand up booing.

The theater will have buttons and the audience will vote on interrupts. If 40% take the interrupt within 2 seconds of when it flashes, it'll trigger. This will totally not frustrate audience members, and instead get them to see the movie multiple times for the different outcomes.

Bobble on
  • SychocydeSychocyde Registered User new member
    edited July 2010
    Part of the problem I have with Mass Effect, and Dragon Age 2 from what I've seen of it so far, is that despite all of Bioware's claims that the PC is completely up to the player, it pretty obvious that there is an intended character. All the arguing over Manshep or Femshep is a moot point, as Bioware's "canonical" character is the guy gracing the cover.

I think I'd prefer it if they would get have a set character be the main, a la The Witcher and give them a bit more development.

Sychocyde on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Bobble wrote: »

The theater will have buttons and the audience will vote on interrupts. If 40% take the interrupt within 2 seconds of when it flashes, it'll trigger. This will totally not frustrate audience members, and instead get them to see the movie multiple times for the different outcomes.

Your ideas are intriguing, and I would attend your next shareholder meeting.

Synthesis on
  • NartwakNartwak Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    it's like some sort of... video... game!

Nartwak on
  • ShrieveShrieve Game Designer CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

luke_darthv.jpg

A) That's Impossible!
    B) Rule Together? Hmm...

Shrieve on
    FkbtS.png
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »

27th

wearing my N7 hoodie when picking it up, hope to have a "Shepard. Wrex." exchange like that one guy

also

blank.gif

New comic coming to explain TIM's orgins HELL YES

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The Mass Effect movie could basically just be The Fifth Element with a few names changed and biotics.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    -Tal wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »

27th

wearing my N7 hoodie when picking it up, hope to have a "Shepard. Wrex." exchange like that one guy

also

blank.gif

New comic coming to explain TIM's orgins

Created by the Reapers.

Orca on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Well, that explains the title.

The first one is indeed worth playing, just be ready for the rather mediocre combat (collision detection problems, stupid enemies, stupid allies, drunk sniper action, etc.) Oh, and bugs. Still worth playing.

I don't know about anyone else, but I had waaay more clipping problems, especially getting stuck, in ME2 than in even my adept with the other 2 biotics run in ME1

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    k9doj6.png

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    k9doj6.png

Okay, TIM may be a morally questionable person, but he is a damn good dresser, and also it seems he is a badass as well.

Ad astra on
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Shrieve wrote: »

luke_darthv.jpg

A) That's Impossible!
    B) Rule Together? Hmm...

:^:

Bobble on
    edited July 2010
    Ad astra wrote: »
    k9doj6.png

Okay, TIM may be a morally questionable person, but he is a damn good dresser, and also it seems he is a badass as well.

Bah, this one will take no more of your disingenuous pro-Cerberus propaganda.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    Shepard never held a pistol sideways

take notes, Commander

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Pete0rPete0r Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    In the background of that image is yet another cerberus project going up in flames.

Pete0r on
    edited July 2010
    So if you talk to EDI after the block are removed, Cerberus only has 150 personnel over 3 projects. Now after the defection of the Normandy 2 and all the dead bodies in overlord, how many are left, 3?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Since a new thread has started, I will add my two cents on ME2.

I finished it last night, and it took me around 5 hours longer than ME1 did since I strive for 100% completion in these games (although I skipped all of the stupid fetch/find quests in the first one). My final time was around 48 hours, which I'm pretty sure is the longest time I've put into an RPG so far in my life.

The combat was definitely a HUGE step up. I really didn't care for the first game's combat; I turned it down to easy pretty quickly. In 2, the difficulty level was just perfect on the default setting.

I liked that the side missions were a lot more varied (balancing on the crashed ship, fixing a planet's barrier, etc).

But I'm upset that a lot of the RPG elements were thrown out the window entirely. There weren't even any awesome moments where you could hack a system and avoid a massive combat area because of it, like there normally are in Bioware's games. There were a ton more charm/intimidates, but nothing with the "shit that's awesome" scope that the major hacks had in KOTOR and ME1.

The level system was reduced like woah, but I liked the new powers, I thought they were more balanced between classes and carried more of a punch than in ME1.

I don't really dig having to constantly switch/upgrade weapons and armor all the time, so I kind of liked ME2's system better. At the same time, I wish there had been more guns to pick up in a logical upgrade progression. It's a fancy idea, but there were so few of each weapon that it led to the gameplay becoming very stale.

I also wish there had been more options for Shepard's armor/appearances. Not necessarily upgraded armor, but just different aesthetic costumes beyond the two default armors.

My bigger complaint is that the game's story as a whole kind of sucked. It really felt like the plot hadn't been advanced at all by the end. This brings the game down to the characters and all of their personal missions, which were fun and well-designed, but there was no sweeping, epic story to hold everything together. Just felt like filler while they toil away on 3 somewhere.

tl;dr version

-I liked the streamlining of everything, but there needed to be more guns to pick up, and more aesthetic armor styles for Shepard to wear.

-I didn't care for the reduced emphasis on leveling, but I loved how the powers were implemented and better-balanced between classes (even as a soldier, I could do a bunch of cool stuff).

-I wish there had been more traditional RPG elements, and a lot more branching paths/alternate options for completing major combat areas.

-The overall story of the game was super weak and made me miss the first game's constant twists and development.

HadjiQuest on
    edited July 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    So if you talk to EDI after the block are removed, Cerberus only has 150 personnel over 3 projects. Now after the defection of the Normandy 2 and all the dead bodies in overlord, how many are left, 3?

Two and a Half.
    Charlie Sheen.

HadjiQuest on
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    k9doj6.png

it's fucking Kirk.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

Two and a Half.
    Charlie Sheen.

He is the Illusive Man's son...

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    aw yeah add some nepotism to the mix

make that incompetence genetic

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
    edited July 2010
    oh come on, what did TIM ever do to you guys except resurrect you and give you a ship and a nymphomaniac yeoman

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
    edited July 2010
    Are there other mass effect comics in trades? This is pretty much the only game I love enough to buy expanded universe stuff for.

HadjiQuest on
    edited July 2010
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Are there other mass effect comics in trades? This is pretty much the only game I love enough to buy expanded universe stuff for.

yeah there are a few

they've got good art, but a generally crappy story

although that might be a function of one of them starring liara

i think this is needed again
    065.jpg

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ad astra wrote: »
    k9doj6.png

Martin Sheen is young again!
    Well, that explains the title.

The first one is indeed worth playing, just be ready for the rather mediocre combat (collision detection problems, stupid enemies, stupid allies, drunk sniper action, etc.) Oh, and bugs. Still worth playing.

I don't know about anyone else, but I had waaay more clipping problems, especially getting stuck, in ME2 than in even my adept with the other 2 biotics run in ME1

Enemies never got stuck in walls in ME2. Especially enemies whom you had to kill in order to trigger the next objective. 'Nuff said.

Synthesis on
  • major_tommajor_tom Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So Overlord. Man do I regret poo-pooing it before it came out. Unbelievable soundtrack, fantastic use of the hammerhead, probably the game's biggest genuine emotional gut-punch for a resolution.

Dammit Bioware i'm sorry I doubted you please take me back baby...

major_tom on
    This is what i get for caring about gamercards...
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Enemies damn near always got stuck in walls in ME2. Especially enemies whom you had to kill in order to trigger the next objective. 'Nuff said.

You must not have played a biotic.

BlackDove on
    edited July 2010
    In my last 10 hours of game play, I got stuck in walls a lot.

Especially in the mission to get Tali, where it happened 2 or 3 times.

HadjiQuest on
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I really want to purchase the Aegis Pack. Is that sad? Has anyone got it yet? From the small graphic on the site, it looks like only the helmet has a unique graphic style, but it's really hard to tell. I think I'll get it if the rest of the armor has unique looks as well. Anyone know?

EDIT - Oh my god one of the Equalizer Pack helmets kind of looks Quarian-ish. I bet the Tali nerds were "all my dicks" and such over that

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'll more than likely get it tomorrow. I'll tell you how effective it makes just meleeing people.

joshgotro on
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    k9doj6.png

it's fucking Kirk.

Its Kirk with a Pompadour.

And from the description, He is supposedly Future Daniel Jackson

Buttcleft on
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So TIM was on Shanxi during the Contact War? That can't be, he's too young.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    TrippyJing wrote: »

First Contact was only like, 30ish years before Mass Effect, It most certainly could have been alive then.

Buttcleft on
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dude has robot eyes. He could be 90.

joshgotro on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So am I alone in being sad they're releasing TIMs backstory via a comic?

I was hoping they'd either 1) not reveal it at all and leave it up for speculation or 2) have it be a major plot reveal in ME3.

Its going to kill a bit of the mystique of TIM to have his history revealed and that makes me sad.

On top of that I am still anti-major plot related things being told out of the primary media. It's fine to have books and comics etc for the ME universe but the core story of the core characters should be told in-game; not via some other method that casual gamers might not even know exists or know to check.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

edited July 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »

First Contact was only like, 30ish years before Mass Effect, It most certainly could have been alive then.

i think he's saying TIM looks too young in that picture, First Contact was 28 years ago and TIM is what, 300

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • VicktorVicktor Infidel Castro Rancho ChupacabraRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »

i think he's saying TIM looks too young in that picture, First Contact was 28 years ago and TIM is what, 300
    He could be a brain floating in a jar somewhere.

We never actually meet him. There's the cut scene with him interacting with Miranda, but is that another holo interaction like with Shepard?

Personally I think it would be awesome to have him physically show up sometime and cap a reaper or something with lazer beams from his eyes... Right after Shepard (femshep) seduces (commands) them over to 'our' side.

TIM and the 'enhanced' Shep got me thinking: With all the fighting and technology and biotics and such, do people just get old limbs regrown or slap on cybernetics. I'd think cybernetic implants/enhancements would be much more prevalent in the ME universe than we see. Particularly in ME2.

Vicktor on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Viycktor