As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The New Reading/Book Thread: With That Same Ol' Bad Taste!

• Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Um, they're rad as fuck, maybe?

Penguin Incarnate on
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What role do you see the hamster playing? I mean you've got the squirrels (elves), the moles (dwarves), the mice (men), the badgers (fuckass awesome), the hares (ok this analogy thing is breaking down). What are hamsters good for?

Peen on
    edited July 2010
    If you gotta ask, you'll never know.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The otters were my favourite. Maaan I really wanna read the Bellmaker again. But I might get those kind of looks if I start going to the kids' section of the library.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i'm waiting to come across that right book i need to read

usually it happens that way for me but i've had a really dry spell

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • TidwayTidway Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Redwall was amazing. When I was in 7th grade we had Accelerated Reader, and we got extra credit appended to our English grade for reading books, most people were reading shit like "See Spot Run" or whatever. I read the first 17 or so Redwall books, and the first 14 or so of the Xanth series. I think I ended the year with about 120%.
    bsjezz wrote:

Could try The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, it is seriously one of the best things I've read in a long time. I couldn't stop reading it and I haven't had that feeling in a long time. Might resurface with Dune though, we shall see.

Tidway on
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Tidway wrote: »
    Started reading John Dies at the End.

Wow. Don't know what I was expecting, but it shattered whatever my expectations were as soon as I opened the book.

In a good way, or a bad way?

In a really good way. It's creepy and weird and off-the-wall and hilarious. I think it was in the foreword to Lolita that whoever was writing the foreword said that Nabokov wrote prose joyfully, almost ecstatically. That's the best way I can describe how David Wong writes.

Even before the prologue was finished I was hooked.

freakish light on
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I enjoyed the Name of the Wind less as I progressed through it. I thought it was an interesting story and loved the way it was written, but Kvothe really got on my nerves by the end of it. All super cool but whining that he didn't feel as cool as he should or something. I really hope he gets a few more genuine flaws in the second book or he's going to put me off the rest of the trilogy.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Peen wrote: »
    What role do you see the hamster playing? I mean you've got the squirrels (elves), the moles (dwarves), the mice (men), the badgers (fuckass awesome), the hares (ok this analogy thing is breaking down). What are hamsters good for?
    being fucking adorable is what!

Bedlam on
  • thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    replying to a post from january
    thorgot wrote: »
    Balefuego wrote: »
    thorgot wrote: »
    ok i'm finally going to use my barnes and nobles gift cards

i have watchmen, the killing joke, and the dark knight returns and i thought all three were great

getting moon, this hardcover red son, but what other comics should i get?
    get old man logan
    and 1985

and Y: The Last Man
    it's too late, i already got the first sandman

but i found a $50 amazon gift card when rummaging in my wallet so i will buy some of these things when i have read the comics i bought
    i just got y: the last man volume 1 and it's good so i will probably get the rest, thanks bale

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • HuxleyHuxley Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hi books thread! Looking for suggestions. Must meet the following criteria:

1) Be in paperback and small enough to carry-on;

2) Likely available at my nearest B&N;

3) Longish (cross-country flight, 6 days away);

4) Have an awesome freakin' dragon on the cover (bonus points for actually being about dragons).

Huxley on
  • GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yessss Neil Gaiman's coming to Sydney in early August to give a premier reading of his new short story

Just booked my ticket, I am squealing like a fangirl

Gatsby on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So is there some version of Dune in particular that I should buy?

DouglasDanger on
    edited July 2010
    edited July 2010
  • GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dune is one of those things I just never got into, but still understand almost all the references to it.

Gatsby on
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Huxley wrote: »

4) Have an awesome freakin' dragon on the cover (bonus points for actually being about dragons).

Have you considered His Majesty's Dragon?

freakish light on
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Tidway wrote: »
    bsjezz wrote:

Could try The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, it is seriously one of the best things I've read in a long time. I couldn't stop reading it and I haven't had that feeling in a long time. Might resurface with Dune though, we shall see.

thanks for the suggestion, but i don't read fantasy and i had a fight with rothfuss

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I love Dune

The first movie with Patrick Stewart and Sting and oh Gosh I love it

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited July 2010
    Fandyien wrote: »
    I love Dune

My Dad and my brother were all about this movie, and I couldn't stand to watch it once. I haven't read the book yet, it was just too damn bizarre and weird.

DouglasDanger on
    edited July 2010
    I love Dune

My Dad and my brother were all about this movie, and I couldn't stand to watch it once. I haven't read the book yet, it was just too damn bizarre and weird.

Read the book, watch the movie, and marvel at the depths of it's radness

Or I will hunt you down

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Huxley wrote: »

here you go:

http://www.amazon.com/Knight-Book-One-Wizard/dp/0765347016/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b

Centipede Damascus on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Jacques didn't put hamsters in because they're fucking pussies. If anything they'd fill the role of hapless villagers who almost escape the rampaging vermin horde.

Guinea pigs would be the jolly fat guy who dies in the first act.

KalTorak on
    edited July 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Jacques didn't put hamsters in because they're fucking pussies. If anything they'd fill the role of hapless villagers who almost escape the rampaging vermin horde.

Guinea pigs would be the jolly fat guy who dies in the first act.
    You're a hateful, hateful man.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The only Jaques book that I read as a kid was Martin the Warrior.

Langly on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Redwall was half the books I read in middle school. I loved that series so much.

Centipede Damascus on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I read 3-4 Redwall books before I got bored of the concept

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2010
    I love Dune

Read the book, watch the movie, and marvel at the depths of it's radness

Or I will hunt you down

You know, I was going to buy a book by this Murakami guy you dudes rave about, but I have been meaning to read Dune for several years. I know my brother has a ton of Dune books, and I think he left them at our parents' place when he shipped out for the Navy. I will see if my parents can find the first one, as I have a nice vacation coming up soon.

I bought him Hyperion, and have yet to read it, so I will see if that can be located too.

DouglasDanger on
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Iolo wrote: »
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    So I'm about half-way through V. and I'm pretty sure I'm in love with Thomas Pynchon. This book is just so damn... exciting. It's an absolute feast.

I'm tempted to go onto Gravity's Rainbow immediately after I finish V.

V. also has the best advice ever in the world, delivered by Slothrop himself.
    "Keep cool, but care."
    Are you at the Mondaugen chapter yet in South Africa? What a mind-scrambler.

I just read that chapter last night. I was quite affected by it. I wasn't really expecting the novel to address genocide, etc etc.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    bsjezz wrote: »

This is exactly how I am and how I've been lately. It's why I have such a completely ridiculous book collection - so the right book is right at my fingertips when I want it.

Well, that's one reason, among many.

But I generally find that when I finish one book the next thing that's juuust right somehow manages to find its way to my hands within a few days. But this past month has been one picked up and abandoned book after another. I can't seem to really stick with anything.

There is an expanding collection of books with bookmarks scattered around my bedroom, is what I'm saying.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    edited July 2010
    You have precisely the same inclinations I do, LS and bj

I have tons and tons and tons of books, dozens of bookmarks, and I'm stuck in a bookless limbo. Right now I'm trying out Orn by Piers Anthony because of my hard-on for science fiction.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Fandy, piers Anthony is the worstest, just as a warning

Currently reading 2666 by Roberto bolano. It's a bit intimidating, but pretty fascinating!

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Book thread you move too fast.

Columbine flew by in only two posts pages ago before I could 'third' Pharezon's recommendation of it and say that it might actually be an important book for our modern times. I mean, I guess I've done that now. Still...

About a third of a way through Kraken and enjoying it, although the writing quality seems to fluctuate from awesome PSS/The Scar Mievielle to somewhat over-earnest King Rat Mieville from time to time. Who knew London was so wrapped around giant squid worship?

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    edited July 2010
    lostwords wrote: »
    Fandy, piers Anthony is the worstest, just as a warning

Currently reading 2666 by Roberto bolano. It's a bit intimidating, but pretty fascinating!

Oh, I know his reputation, but I find even the trashiest science fiction from that era totally fascinating

I'm going to read Solaris next, or possibly now, if I don't get into Orn.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i'm on BART right now

at every stop this little drama plays out. cute girl gets on: ok, you have my attention. glasses, book (!), serious expression? i like you already, tentatively! alright, here goes, check the book. if it's something good you'll have made my d... aw, it's an airport novel. welp, back to sleep till next stop.

redhead on
    edited July 2010
    Fandy, what kind of sci-fi are you looking for? Have you Richard Morgan's Takeshi Kovacs books? Or Neal Asher's Polity books?
    DO NOT GO TO ASHER'S BLOG
    He found a dog that someone tried to burn and tried to save it, and took pictures of it as he was trying to heal it and everything and oh my god I am still torn up about this.

DouglasDanger on
    edited July 2010
    Fandy, what kind of sci-fi are you looking for? Have you Richard Morgan's Takeshi Kovacs books? Or Neal Asher's Polity books?
    DO NOT GO TO ASHER'S BLOG
    He found a dog that someone tried to burn and tried to save it, and took pictures of it as he was trying to heal it and everything and oh my god I am still torn up about this.

I haven't read either of those authors, putting them on my list

And I am into any kind of science fiction, I read it all. It's the one area of writing where I'm trying to build a legitimate expertise

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Also fandy, if you like supercheesy, fun space opera scifi, check out Simon r. Green's Deathstalker series. It's lightweight trashy fun involving an evil empire and sword fights and espers and weird aliens and forbidden tech and space pirates and etc etc

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
    edited July 2010
    lostwords wrote: »
    Also fandy, if you like supercheesy, fun space opera scifi, check out Simon r. Green's Deathstalker series. It's lightweight trashy fun involving an evil empire and sword fights and espers and weird aliens and forbidden tech and space pirates and etc etc

you just gave me a boner

addin' it to the list for post stanislaw lem readin'

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited July 2010
    I think there is an order you should post cyberpunk stuff in. I kind of did it wrong, but I imagine things would be super-amazing if you were able to read the cyberpunk "canon" (gibson's sprawl, snow crash), then read some other stuff, then branch out into the nutso balls to walls overload of things like Death's Head or the hrrrggg nihilistic manliness of the Kovacs books.

I've been meaning to read Stanislaw Lem's stuff and Stainless Steel Rat.

DouglasDanger on
This discussion has been closed.