As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Alien Swarm: She thought they said "illegal aliens" and signed up.

• EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    alset85 wrote: »
    I could still host with the unpatched tesla and people could connect to me just now. And then I restarted steam like an idiot and forced my game to update. Fuck!!!

Aw what a shame.

Endaro on
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Traikan wrote: »
    The Tesla gun is now fixed, so I hope everyone who still needed to get the Tesla kills achievement got it while it was possible to do so.
    I got my Tesla kills achievement before it was nerfed and I wasn't even using it to try and kill things, just incapacitate them. Basically it's like how I currently use it :P

You can still easily kill the parasites that harvesters spawn and the swarm grubs that you see all over Residential to pad your kill count with its current incarnation.
    alset85 wrote: »
    I could still host with the unpatched tesla and people could connect to me just now. And then I restarted steam like an idiot and forced my game to update. Fuck!!!

I don't think I've updated my dedicated server since the fix. It still does that "lag between map changes" shit that I don't have happen when I host in-game, but I might test it to see if it's still broken there.

EDIT: Yeah, with Sarge it does 1 (+75) on my server.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • SonarSonar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Has anyone replace the weapons guys responses with the tf2 heavy voice yet? The idea of the aliens sounds plus the heavy "oh this is bad" is more amusing than it should be.

Sonar on
    I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
    steam_sig.png
    caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    endaro is terrible at this game.

speedrunning with him is like, bad.

cause endaro is bad.

Buttcleft on
  • MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Captain K wrote: »
    So if and when some good maps come out, can we get a list going in the OP or something? :)

and here's a really promising video (click through for HD) of a WIP called "The Facility":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft5rsFOGBwU

This one's really impressive--notice how interactive the switches on the map are, and how there's (what seems to be) a laser beam trap oriented so that you have to roll through it to reach the switch to turn it off.

So, it looks like there's definitely talented mappers out there working on stuff that we'll be able to play soon! It's a good thing, too, because I took a look at some of the tutorials for working with the SDK and Hammer and I think it might be beyond my available free time.

There are tons of awesome ideas in that clip but unless the map is intended to be played solo I can't see it being a good map for regular gameplay. No open spaces, a hack sequence every twenty seconds? Anyone not playing the tech would just get bored and die of friendly fire in hallways every time.

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
    edited July 2010
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    a hack sequence every twenty seconds?
    Gotta make a tech feel useful somehow. Frequently forced to carry a welder (other classes can, but it's more convenient since you always have the speed bonus), and one is mandatory on most missions and there is usually only one or two hack sequences in each one. You're taking up space because of LOLValve/mission design since there is basically no good reason to take a tech over any of the other classes.

I'd feel better if there were larger, less linear levels where a tech could provide alternate routes (possibly somewhat safer than the main ones) and access to extra rooms with health kits, weapons, and ammo as you progress through a map. Maybe give them an innate welder in instead of making someone carry the thing, but lessen the speed bonus on it as a trade-off (equipping the normal welder would be full speed).

Barrakketh on
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    a hack sequence every twenty seconds?
    Gotta make a tech feel useful somehow. Frequently forced to carry a welder (other classes can, but it's more convenient since you always have the speed bonus), and one is mandatory on most missions and there is usually only one or two hack sequences in each one. You're taking up space because of LOLValve/mission design since there is basically no good reason to take a tech over any of the other classes.

I'd feel better if there were larger, less linear levels where a tech could provide alternate routes (possibly somewhat safer than the main ones) and access to extra rooms with health kits, weapons, and ammo as you progress through a map. Maybe give them an innate welder in instead of making someone carry the thing, but lessen the speed bonus on it as a trade-off (equipping the normal welder would be full speed).

Don't forget, the tech marine provides the motion tracker. If the tech is dead or not in the mission, you don't get one.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, all it would take really would be a bunch of extra already-welded rooms with valuable health/ammo inside to make Techs much more useful. Possibly also more siege points where being able to weld a bunch of doors shut is more an asset than an annoyance.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Unwelding doors doesn't matter (unless you're going to reweld it, which could be used in some cool situations in fan maps), and you never need the welder. It's very helpful in places like the hack of Deima bridge, because there's two doors and a ton of aliens happy to pour in, but at that particular point you're going to kill them anyway when you're done so if you have a squad you can just deal with them as they come.

Welded doors in the way bow to the might of the chainsaw (or shooting/punching, if necessary).

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Tech is the best though.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There's plenty of potential behind the tech if you add a bit of clever level design, alternate paths along with ammo stashes just being one of them. Requiring hacking for a turret could provide some excellent cover fire (curious if the turret could be controlled by anyone once hacked) while saving ammunition. I'm also curious if there's a trigger for fast hacks that could provide additional benefits, or even a detriment for not completing a fast hack.

Personally, I think the tech should be the only one that could carry turrets, or at least benefit from one more than the other classes. It would give them quite a bit more function compared to the rest, and it would make a bit of sense.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • TraikanTraikan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    All you people trashin' on techs.

Don't forget, Vegas has the strongest melee attacks of the group, 1.8x damage. Yes, that applies to the chainsaw as well. Vegas with freeze nades + chainsaw makes short work of any of the big bugs.

Traikan on
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Rami wrote: »
    Tech is the best though.

This guy has the right idea. Even if it's just because the prototype assault rifle is the best gun that's not a vindicator.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • HazeAIHazeAI Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Could I get a group invite? Steam ID is same as forum name, 'HazeAI'

HazeAI on
    I wish it were time for cheers, but its not, its time for vengeance!
    - The Maxx
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    the chainsaw is the end all be all ultimate weapon

Buttcleft on
  • shelakshelak Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    the chainsaw is the end all be all ultimate weapon

It even kills the rocks in Timor! However i find it to be something to use on speedruns ( two man or solo ), i dont use it on "normal" gameplay to down doors and stones, looks too wierd.

I agree that some benefit to a fast hack other then achievements would be nice and help with the chainsaw madness.

EDIT: maybe getting logged/downing a door triggering a horde spawn ?

shelak on
    edited July 2010

Don't forget, Vegas has the strongest melee attacks of the group, 1.8x damage. Yes, that applies to the chainsaw as well. Vegas with freeze nades + chainsaw makes short work of any of the big bugs.
    For Sewer Junction I like bringing a freeze sentry. Drop it before the shield bug rush and grab the chainsaw nearby. Makes it much easier and conserves ammo.

Barrakketh on
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Designing a map and want techs to be more useful? Instead of a breakable door, grab the bridge from the final nuke map and instead of just pressing the button, make it a hack point. Alternative to hacker? A long deadly path.

And that is just one possible solution. Not all doors are the kind that can be chainsawed down.

Want more inspiration? Its not like we don't hack stuff in other games. Perhaps robots (mobile turrets), transportation, full reveal of a mini map, lights being turned on/off, auto turrets coming out of storage, data steals that do or don't set off alarms, data bombs, lockdown spawns with fire doors, turn off defense systems, etc... And why have doors be the only objects that can be welded/cut open? *shrug*

Resident Evil style map with the Red Queen being a bitch?

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

so wait
    do power gloves affect chainsaw?

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Jaunty wrote: »

so wait

No.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • MorrandirMorrandir Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Jaunty wrote: »

so wait

It was intended, but not implemented.

Edit: I should refresh before replying.

Morrandir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • KasanagiKasanagi Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    As opposed to speed runs, which rely on the chaotic skill only a few of us here have. I'd love to propose "theme" runs.

For example, a chainsaw + chainsaw + adrenaline run. So much slowmotion chainsaw gibbing you can taste it!

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
  • EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    endaro is terrible at this game.

speedrunning with him is like, bad.

cause endaro is bad.

Lies cannot fix the shame you feel for how bad you are at this game.

Endaro on
    edited July 2010
    techtalk:

I'm not saying there is a problem with the gameplay function of a tech

I am saying that having a door in every room that needs hacked is preposterous
    You're going to bore everyone to death. For as much cool stuff as that map shows off it misses some really basic points, like the part where this is a game about shooting aliens and not a top-down metal gear solid

Molybdenum on
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, tech hacking should involve everyone. See the hack at the end of Landing Bay for a good example. The list posted earlier in this thread was great, sealing doors, providing supplies, activating turrets, etc. The team should always have something to do while the tech does their own thing.

Traikan on
  • FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Timor Station on Insane is, in fact, insane. D:

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
    edited July 2010
    Be nifty to have a mode where if a marine dies, they get to control a drone alien. As long as the drone's melee can't damage other aliens, there'd be no real way to continue helping the marines. Only real way to troll like this would be to die right off the bat and attempt to kill the marines as a drone, but at that point, you'd be better off bringing a chainsaw and a grenade launcher, and just killing them with those.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • KasanagiKasanagi Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just had an epic run of Timor. Me and a decent pub player, myself as Jaegar and him as Sarge (flamer/vindi loadout ftw).

I spawned bots for Vegas and Faith, with them carrying ammo packs and healing packs. It works amazingly well in most levels, but in Timor the bot pathing breaks at two key points. The center rotating bridge, and the cave with rafters near the nuke-setting hack. I managed to override their broken waypointing by ordering them to drop health/ammo when it came time to cross the bridge, this seemed to give them a direct move order to that spot, overriding any screwy AI prioritizing they might have had going on. This worked pretty much until we got halfway back during evac, when they both decided to stop on the middle of the bridge. Sarge had gotten pinned down by a bunch of drones before we reached the bridge (having lag issues) and I had to use the F1-F3 keys to manually move all three remaining marines across the bridge due to their brokenness. I got them across but they still wouldn't move, so I had my Jaegar torch em. Two friendly fire kills and a clip of flamethrower ammo later, I hustled for the evac point. I've gotten quite good at the fast-reload, and the flamethrower "puffing" method to ignite drones, giving me precious time to maneuver. I basically danced around 3 shieldbugs, 12 drones, a boomer, and a few of the spitters while the timer ticked below 10 seconds remaining.

Just as the timer reached 0, and the screen started brightening, I ran onto the roof of the bloodhound and got the hell outta dodge. It was glorious.

As if that climax wasn't awesome enough, the resulting experience got me my chainsaw (first promotion, L23). Needless to say I am pleased with tonight's endeavor.

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
  • shelakshelak Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I saw on the steam forums someone stating that they got a bug where Timor station sets itself to hard difficulty after restarting the mission due to failure on normal difficulty.

I must say that when i was trying to do my solo speedrun, i noticed that some times i would get alot more spawns (i.e. the catwalk after the bridge had several harverters and not just a mortar bug ), but i never did put some thought into it until now.

Has anyone experienced this bug?

shelak on
    edited July 2010
    shelak wrote: »
    I saw on the steam forums someone stating that they got a bug where Timor station sets itself to hard difficulty after restarting the mission due to failure on normal difficulty.

I must say that when i was trying to do my solo speedrun, i noticed that some times i would get alot more spawns (i.e. the catwalk after the bridge had several harverters and not just a mortar bug ), but i never did put some thought into it until now.

It all makes sense now. D:

I guess our two man speed run was actually accomplished on Hard. D:

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited July 2010
    Infidel wrote: »
    shelak wrote: »

It all makes sense now. D:

Unlikely. After you fail you can change the difficulty, so unless the server operator (or a script that runs on map change) changes the difficulty it should be on normal. I just tested it and the difficulty was still Normal after I chose restart.

There's some variance in swarm spawns, it won't be the exact same on every mission. On Sewer Junction I've had instances where a shield bug would spawn before you get to the shield bug rush area (this is right before the gate that has to be broken open), and other times where it wouldn't appear. This was on Insane.

Barrakketh on
    edited July 2010
    Seems odd that they have it add or not all of them wholesale. It's either barren or swarming.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited July 2010
    Seems odd that they have it add or not all of them wholesale. It's either barren or swarming.
    Try looking in the swarm\resource\alien_selection.txt file. There's a set number of times waves of enemies will respawn, the selection is pseudo-random (I'm sure the SDK could give more details, but selection is weighted so some bugs are rarer than others). In all likelyhood it decided to spawn a drone instead of a shield bug.

Barrakketh on
    edited July 2010
    wow

reading back on RPS's original AS article I'm glad this version isn't mind-flayingly difficult.

Games like Neotokyo (and from what I gathered, the UT2k4 AS) just turn me into a nervous wreck. Strategy is great, but if it becomes more work than play I'm not interested

Molybdenum on
    edited July 2010
    Mapping in this game is seriously easy.

I've been working in the toolset for about 4-5 hours and I've gone from never having used a 3D mapper to having a working, playable (ugly and small) map with doors, aliens, hacks and objectives.

If you've ever wanted to try mapping, I would say this is a great game to start on.

Traikan on
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

The highest of fives

Burnage on
  • rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

I've been working in the toolset for about 4-5 hours and I've gone from never having used a 3D mapper to having a working, playable (ugly and small) map with doors, aliens, hacks and objectives.

If you've ever wanted to try mapping, I would say this is a great game to start on.

Any chance you'd like to share your creation here?

rRootagea on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Designing a map and want techs to be more useful? Instead of a breakable door, grab the bridge from the final nuke map and instead of just pressing the button, make it a hack point. Alternative to hacker? A long deadly path.

And that is just one possible solution. Not all doors are the kind that can be chainsawed down.

Want more inspiration? Its not like we don't hack stuff in other games. Perhaps robots (mobile turrets), transportation, full reveal of a mini map, lights being turned on/off, auto turrets coming out of storage, data steals that do or don't set off alarms, data bombs, lockdown spawns with fire doors, turn off defense systems, etc... And why have doors be the only objects that can be welded/cut open? *shrug*

Resident Evil style map with the Red Queen being a bitch?

This.

All this.

Sir, I like the way you think.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    edited July 2010
    rRootagea wrote: »

Any chance you'd like to share your creation here?

Well I tried to figure out how but I've never used Google Docs before and it's just a bit confusing.

So here is the file available as a super basic example of a map created purely in hammer.

Wasn't there a mapping thread at some point? Should that be dug up?

Traikan on
    edited July 2010
    Anyone else manage to get pushed up on the z-axis somehow? I forgot which map, but I managed to get on top of a thin pipe going across the ceiling of a room.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png