As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Alien Swarm: She thought they said "illegal aliens" and signed up.

• Options
    KasanagiKasanagi Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Honestly, I didn't go into much detail with the twin pistols, as I hadn't used them due to generally negative reviews by the PA folks I've played with. I'll give them a fair shake and edit my post.

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VarelseVarelse Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Kasanagi wrote: »
    Honestly, I didn't go into much detail with the twin pistols, as I hadn't used them due to generally negative reviews by the PA folks I've played with. I'll give them a fair shake and edit my post.

Wildcat with pistols will be a good demo. The reload is so fast you only miss about 2-3 shots (without quickload).

Varelse on
    cranksig5mu.png
  • Options
    proyebatproyebat GARY WAS HERE ASH IS A LOSERRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm thinking of mapping a pyro panic script whenever I have Vegas wielding a chainsaw. That melee bonus is slap-chop amazing. Chunky Drone Salsa or your money back.

proyebat on
    455Bo4O.png
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    guys, use the blink pack, it's awesome

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Captain K wrote: »
    www.swarmarmory.com

I'm working on an OP for the next thread and it would be rad if some dudes wanted to playtest a few of the more promising custom maps/campaigns. Let me know if you're interested.

I'm in.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Assault jets are the coolest thing ever 8-)

but I can almost never find a good excuse to drop a more generally useful item in trade

I demand a campaign level where everyone must equip assault jets to go defend an otherwise unreachable position from a swarm event and then jump back to get their items again.

Also a map with alternate routes only accessible by jet- say there are wall-crawling drones like on cargo elevator but to shoot them you need to jet to a sniper perch.

Also, PDW's are underrated as far as easy/normal/sometimes hard goes. the number of bullets it takes to kill a drone is so low that as long as you pack either ammo bags or an ammo-friendly weapon as your secondary you'll be fine, in addition to having the spray+pray room clearing power should you need it. You just have to be a little smarter about how you use them than easymode assaultrifle.

übergeek wrote: »
    www.swarmarmory.com

I'm working on an OP for the next thread and it would be rad if some dudes wanted to playtest a few of the more promising custom maps/campaigns. Let me know if you're interested.

I'm in.

same.

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Can I confirm that Adrenaline does NOT slow down the clock? Me and my 2 cousins were trying speed runs and we're always 5-10 seconds short, despite doing everything almost perfect.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    pheknophekno Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wondering if I can get a Steam group invite? I'm not sure when I'll be able to play, but I'll try this weekend. I just joined Steam, so I don't really have any friends on there. :(

Steamid is phekno.

phekno on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jedijzjedijz Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Airan wrote: »
    Can I confirm that Adrenaline does NOT slow down the clock? Me and my 2 cousins were trying speed runs and we're always 5-10 seconds short, despite doing everything almost perfect.

Pretty sure it slows it down. My group did a speed run using adrenaline 6 times and we got to the exit under the time limit.

jedijz on
    Goomba wrote: »
    It is no easy task winning a 1v3. You must jump many a hurdle, bettering three armies, the smallest.

Aye, no mere man may win an uphill battle against thrice your men, it takes a courageous heart and will that makes steel look like copper. When you are that, then, and only then, may you win a 1v3.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/BlindProphet
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

No, you may not.

It works fine for speedruns.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Ok thanks, at least that means we can carry on using adrenaline freely.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    which ones were you trying?

adreno is always good for speedruns, but only absolutely necessary for hack sequences.

Molybdenum on
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yea! Finally got my Insane achievement.

I fell down from the Bloodhound though. :?

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Molybdenum wrote: »

adreno is always good for speedruns, but only absolutely necessary for hack sequences.

I'm trying them all as a 3-man, only got the Reactor achievement so far. The next closest is the Cargo Elevator which we need to shave 3 seconds. I'm thinking that our flamer is being held back by the bugs - cuz y'know, they still block while burning. I think that just needs more rushing, less shooty.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man, you guys are crazy I rock the K80s and consistenly outkill my closest teamate by a 2-1 ratio.

You just have to be good at actually hitting things.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Molybdenum wrote: »

I'm trying them all as a 3-man, only got the Reactor achievement so far. The next closest is the Cargo Elevator which we need to shave 3 seconds. I'm thinking that our flamer is being held back by the bugs - cuz y'know, they still block while burning. I think that just needs more rushing, less shooty.

Two commandos to shotgun the living hell out of everything in the way. Bring hornet barrages to clear the nasty rooms, and a firewall mine behind you will kill EVERYTHING. Spam those hornet barrages, as you want them empty so whoever is on point can grab a medkit without having to spend any time waiting for the switch-item animation. Once you're on the elevator, drop your turrets but don't finish building them: leave them mostly-finished and just spend the slow-motion portion punching the shit out of aliens. When it's over, finish them, sit back, and cruise your way to victory.

The third person seems superfluous, really.

Garthor on
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Finding good random people to play with is as unlikely as finding a dodo bird in the wild. All the people I tried playing with today apparently don't know what "teamwork" and "coordination" mean; they either ran ahead alone or stayed back blasting every bug they saw, both ending in swift doom. Why didn't they allow you to play through the whole campaign offline like in L4D?

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    PhantPhant Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Would like a invite to the group, steamname thingy is Fook. Someone here I think should have me friended from tf2.

Phant on
  • Options
    TalonSETalonSE Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Finding good random people to play with is as unlikely as finding a dodo bird in the wild. All the people I tried playing with today apparently don't know what "teamwork" and "coordination" mean; they either ran ahead alone or stayed back blasting every bug they saw, both ending in swift doom. Why didn't they allow you to play through the whole campaign offline like in L4D?
    While I agree that a proper offline mode would be preferable, you can achieve the same thing by creating a friends-only game and populating it with bots. The downside is the bots are...bots. They know how to shoot at bugs and that's about it. Well almost, the tech can be ordered to hack and (un)weld doors but the medic has no clue how to use heals unless you take direct control of it and do it yourself. Anyway, to allow creation of a solo game (with bots) you have to use some console commands, best way is to create an autoexec.cfg file in /steamapps/common/alien swarm/swarm/cfg (your path may vary) and add something like the following:
    asw_realistic_death_chatter 1
    asw_hear_from_marine 1
    asw_ignore_need_two_player_requirement 1

bind "kp_end" "Sarge"
    alias "Sarge" "sarge_on"
    alias "sarge_on" "cl_selectm 0 -1; alias Sarge sarge_off"
    alias "sarge_off" "cl_dselectm 0; alias Sarge sarge_on"

bind "kp_downarrow" "Wildcat"
    alias "Wildcat" "wildcat_on"
    alias "wildcat_on" "cl_selectm 1 -1; alias Wildcat wildcat_off"
    alias "wildcat_off" "cl_dselectm 1; alias Wildcat wildcat_on"

bind "kp_pgdn" "Faith"
    alias "Faith" "faith_on"
    alias "faith_on" "cl_selectm 2 -1; alias Faith faith_off"
    alias "faith_off" "cl_dselectm 2; alias Faith faith_on"

bind "kp_leftarrow" "Crash"
    alias "Crash" "crash_on"
    alias "crash_on" "cl_selectm 3 -1; alias Crash crash_off"
    alias "crash_off" "cl_dselectm 3; alias Crash crash_on"

bind "kp_5" "Jaeger"
    alias "Jaeger" "jaeger_on"
    alias "jaeger_on" "cl_selectm 4 -1; alias Jaeger jaeger_off"
    alias "jaeger_off" "cl_dselectm 4; alias Jaeger jaeger_on"

bind "kp_rightarrow" "Wolfe"
    alias "Wolfe" "wolfe_on"
    alias "wolfe_on" "cl_selectm 5 -1; alias Wolfe wolfe_off"
    alias "wolfe_off" "cl_dselectm 5; alias Wolfe wolfe_on"

bind "kp_home" "Bastille"
    alias "Bastille" "bastille_on"
    alias "bastille_on" "cl_selectm 6 -1; alias Bastille bastille_off"
    alias "bastille_off" "cl_dselectm 6; alias Bastille bastille_on"

bind "kp_uparrow" "Vegas"
    alias "Vegas" "vegas_on"
    alias "vegas_on" "cl_selectm 7 -1; alias Vegas vegas_off"
    alias "vegas_off" "cl_dselectm 7; alias Vegas vegas_on"

Those binds allow you to add/remove characters in the lobby with the numeric keys 1 (Sarge) thru 8 (Vegas).

TalonSE on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sweet, ubergeek, Fencingsax and I are about to playtest a custom map.

Captain K on
  • Options
    TraikanTraikan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The map is still in the super alpha stage and probably won't go beyond that because I'm going to start making a new map, but if anyone would like to give ASI-ButtFacility a try, you're welcome to.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1CURDPH4

Traikan on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    TalonSE wrote: »
    While I agree that a proper offline mode would be preferable, you can achieve the same thing by creating a friends-only game and populating it with bots. The downside is the bots are...bots. They know how to shoot at bugs and that's about it. Well almost, the tech can be ordered to hack and (un)weld doors but the medic has no clue how to use heals unless you take direct control of it and do it yourself. Anyway, to allow creation of a solo game (with bots) you have to use some console commands, best way is to create an autoexec.cfg file in /steamapps/common/alien swarm/swarm/cfg (your path may vary) and add something like the following:
    asw_realistic_death_chatter 1
    asw_hear_from_marine 1
    asw_ignore_need_two_player_requirement 1

bind "kp_end" "Sarge"
    alias "Sarge" "sarge_on"
    alias "sarge_on" "cl_selectm 0 -1; alias Sarge sarge_off"
    alias "sarge_off" "cl_dselectm 0; alias Sarge sarge_on"

bind "kp_downarrow" "Wildcat"
    alias "Wildcat" "wildcat_on"
    alias "wildcat_on" "cl_selectm 1 -1; alias Wildcat wildcat_off"
    alias "wildcat_off" "cl_dselectm 1; alias Wildcat wildcat_on"

bind "kp_pgdn" "Faith"
    alias "Faith" "faith_on"
    alias "faith_on" "cl_selectm 2 -1; alias Faith faith_off"
    alias "faith_off" "cl_dselectm 2; alias Faith faith_on"

bind "kp_leftarrow" "Crash"
    alias "Crash" "crash_on"
    alias "crash_on" "cl_selectm 3 -1; alias Crash crash_off"
    alias "crash_off" "cl_dselectm 3; alias Crash crash_on"

bind "kp_5" "Jaeger"
    alias "Jaeger" "jaeger_on"
    alias "jaeger_on" "cl_selectm 4 -1; alias Jaeger jaeger_off"
    alias "jaeger_off" "cl_dselectm 4; alias Jaeger jaeger_on"

bind "kp_rightarrow" "Wolfe"
    alias "Wolfe" "wolfe_on"
    alias "wolfe_on" "cl_selectm 5 -1; alias Wolfe wolfe_off"
    alias "wolfe_off" "cl_dselectm 5; alias Wolfe wolfe_on"

bind "kp_home" "Bastille"
    alias "Bastille" "bastille_on"
    alias "bastille_on" "cl_selectm 6 -1; alias Bastille bastille_off"
    alias "bastille_off" "cl_dselectm 6; alias Bastille bastille_on"

bind "kp_uparrow" "Vegas"
    alias "Vegas" "vegas_on"
    alias "vegas_on" "cl_selectm 7 -1; alias Vegas vegas_off"
    alias "vegas_off" "cl_dselectm 7; alias Vegas vegas_on"

Those binds allow you to add/remove characters in the lobby with the numeric keys 1 (Sarge) thru 8 (Vegas).

It seems like they tried or planned on having a single player mode like the UT mod at one point, with you being able to switch marines and give them basic orders. I wonder why they didn't go through with it all the way

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Wow I just typed a fucking essay's worth of feedback on the map we just played

I should be getting paid to review maps maybe

Captain K on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wow I just typed a fucking essay's worth of feedback on the map we just played

I should be getting paid to review maps maybe

Looks like you covered everything.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    KasanagiKasanagi Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've been using the cl_selectm command to fill slots with bots when necessary, and it works fine on any difficulty up to the later levels on hard. These bots will behave pretty much exactly like their offline practice mode counterparts, so if you're using a medic bot, just give her the med-packs and an AR. Tech bot should cary his proto-rifle and ammo. You can then use the number keys and shit + number keys to make them interact, just like in offline practice. If they're still not behaving, you can then use F1-F4 to take control of them yourself.

Other than a few slight pathing issues in the levels after cargo elevator, these bots serve their purpose fairly well. Just don't count on them to save your ass from a shieldbug or a parasite infestation.

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jedijzjedijz Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sweet, I just did a solo speed run through sewer junction.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEGS1nvILtI

jedijz on
    Goomba wrote: »
    It is no easy task winning a 1v3. You must jump many a hurdle, bettering three armies, the smallest.

Aye, no mere man may win an uphill battle against thrice your men, it takes a courageous heart and will that makes steel look like copper. When you are that, then, and only then, may you win a 1v3.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/BlindProphet
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    okay that was badass

Captain K on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    slow motion grenade launching is the coolest grenade launching.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    www.swarmarmory.com

I would very much be interested in this (I am interested in it for L4D stuff too, love finding custom co-op gems, reminds me of Sven Coop days...). See you in the chat room for Wing-Wong & Wang to coordinate and/or just contact by PM?

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Add me to the group if you could.

SteamID: anon the felon

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    Running this on a laptop. Runs semi decent. Any tricks I can do to improve it?

I'm down to play with anyone. ID is Sheeeeeeep

Who should I send invites too?

Is there a Steam Group I should join?

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    sheep- post up a link to your Steam profile so you can get group invite goodness

check the group chat room for players- it has been a bit empty the past few days, sadly, but I could go for a round of cargo elevator.

Molybdenum on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/sheeeeeeep

I don't have a mic. Hope that's not a problem.

Sheep on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2010
    I've been slacking on the Aliens quotes in the title. Shame on me.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I like the game so far. Find it hilarious that we failed the same mission about 5 times in a row, only to get a new medic, and then finished it up without a problem.

Sheep on
  • Options
    ShadowofVTShadowofVT Robot Overlord Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Can I get an invite for the swarm group too:

Steam Profile

My attempts to play in the last week or two have been absolutely derailed seconds into the first map by either unbearable lag to the server or miserable teammates.

ShadowofVT on
  • Options
    Bwah?Bwah? Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Bwah? on
    MGSsig.jpg
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've been playing this off and on, and man normal is kicking my ass. Someday I will make it all the way across the surface bridge. Someday...

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Bwah? wrote: »

wait eff I sent the invite for the wrong group

D: why is Steam so stupid about these things

Molybdenum on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Can I get a group invite? I dunno the difference in linking to my Steam ID and how these guys are linking to their "Steam Profiles".

Sheep on