As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Awkward Moments [Shibby casting dark magic all up in here]

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Goddamn

Well my awkward moment pales in comparison to that. Was just at a friend's place for a party and one guy leaves, realises he left something in the apartment and comes back. However my friend lives in no. 9. This guy accidentally, and of course drunkenly, opens the door to no. 7. Cue awkward moment for us all when the owner knocks on the door and asks who barged into his place and how did they get in.

Even worse was when he first came around, we all pleaded ignorance and broke down into hysterics when he left. Then when the guy who started this leaves, the owner of no. 7 is just waiting outside the door for a proper answer. He then just says "I heard everything." Dude was cool when we explained what happened and that it was an honest mistake, but it was still a fairly awkward moment.

Gatsby on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That's fucking terrible.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have awkward moments with customers all day. I'm immune to them at this point.

Seriously, you get a real view on how people's reactions to COMPLETELY NORMAL THINGS are so fucking varied because apparently most people are legit crazy.

Like when you laugh and tell me that you won't ever come back, what do you want me to say? I'll just hand you your change quietly, because fuck, I ain't apologizing to you for shit. Or any other variation of high-and-mightiness that I am not impressed with, and then they seem upset when I just stare blankly at them.

Sara Lynn on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    My favorite customer tomfoolery is the jackasses that pull the, "I'm a business owner and I would never treat my customers like this!". And I'm just thinking, yeah that's probably why your business is still so tiny dude.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    yeah customer service is probably the fastest track to becoming a bitter sociopath that I know

Beasteh on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    the "I gave you a ten cent tip so kiss my boots" behaviour made me want to punch people, too
    and made me realize I'm never ever going to work behind a counter, if I can avoid, not even for a short summer job

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sara Lynn wrote: »
    I have awkward moments with customers all day. I'm immune to them at this point.

Seriously, you get a real view on how people's reactions to COMPLETELY NORMAL THINGS are so fucking varied because apparently most people are legit crazy.

Like when you laugh and tell me that you won't ever come back, what do you want me to say? I'll just hand you your change quietly, because fuck, I ain't apologizing to you for shit. Or any other variation of high-and-mightiness that I am not impressed with, and then they seem upset when I just stare blankly at them.

When customers told me that they would never come back I always thought, "How is that a punnishment to me? It means you aren't coming back?"

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    No disrespect to my Canadian friends here, but I have to say that when I worked at Starbucks' corporate office it was the broad consensus that Canadian customers were the whiniest, most entitled pieces of shit. They routinely demanded ridiculous compensation for the most trivial crap that they'd blow out of proportion as if it were a critical matter of international diplomacy.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Also, there are a stupid amount of people that use corporate cards and forget their itemized receipts. Since we work in an airport and a more expensive establishment, we ask EVERYONE if they need it. I don't have one of these cards, obviously, but my boss says he would never forget a receipt. People call us days after they've been here asking us to print one out for them, and I'm sorry, but Micros don't play that shit. It is lost in a sea of thousands and THOUSANDS of transactions per day.

Sara Lynn on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just last week I stopped to get a coffee at a local chain, and the douche fuck in front of me dumps her coffee while trying to take the lid off to add her sugar and milk. She then proceeds to go into a tirade at the clerk for not informing her how lids work and that hot coffee is hot, or some similar shit. It sounded like a child bitching about not getting dessert before dinner.

So of course the clerk tries to defuse the situation and starts getting a new cup ready, and the bitch customer has the audacity to criticize the timing and to demand compensation. She wanted a second cup and her money back for her own stupidity. The clerk tried explaining she could give her a new cup but refunding her for spilling her own coffee was out of the question. This started a new, more shrill round of bitching.

Finally, I had to speak up. Mostly because I was next and was sick of waiting for my coffee, but also I've worked customer service and know how much it sucks. I stepped forward, gave the clerk a $5 which is more than enough for 2 coffees, and told her to give the crazy lady her money back out of that. The guy behind me then loudly says "I'll chip in for a biscotti if she shuts up too". I cracked up.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Hunter wrote: »
    Just last week I stopped to get a coffee at a local chain, and the douche fuck in front of me dumps her coffee while trying to take the lid off to add her sugar and milk. She then proceeds to go into a tirade at the clerk for not informing her how lids work and that hot coffee is hot, or some similar shit. It sounded like a child bitching about not getting dessert before dinner.

So of course the clerk tries to defuse the situation and starts getting a new cup ready, and the bitch customer has the audacity to criticize the timing and to demand compensation. She wanted a second cup and her money back for her own stupidity. The clerk tried explaining she could give her a new cup but refunding her for spilling her own coffee was out of the question. This started a new, more shrill round of bitching.

Finally, I had to speak up. Mostly because I was next and was sick of waiting for my coffee, but also I've worked customer service and know how much it sucks. I stepped forward, gave the clerk a $5 which is more than enough for 2 coffees, and told her to give the crazy lady her money back out of that. The guy behind me then loudly says "I'll chip in for a biscotti if she shuts up too". I cracked up.

More customers need to dogpile idiots like this instead of staying silent. They need to be shamed into silence. If they have a sense of shame that is.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    you and the guy behind you are what is good in this world

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Man I hate when customers spill their coffee. Not because I have to clean it up, but because I don't want them to scald themselves and then make a huge fuss. My first reaction is OMG ARE YOU OKAY and if they are I'm like okay whatever here is your new coffee go away so I can mop this up.

Sara Lynn on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It wasn't text message breakup bad, but my last girlfriend was a pretty awful breakup. I'd been off gallivanting and not talking to her for a week or two, for reasons entirely unrelated to the fact that I was probably going to break up with her soon. I didn't have a computer at the time, and couldn't talk to her online, and was busy with rehearsals or something in the evenings and after that my alcoholic roommates and shows on the weekends and so on and so forth. So we hadn't really been talking much, other than the occasional text message. I finally call her, intending to meet up with her in person to break up with her, and she's really upset about all this, and she says something along the lines of, "I thought you were going to break up with me or something!"

I couldn't lie to her, it'd be even worse, so I just kinda had to do it.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hah, nice story Hunter

And Sara I remember you mentioning some of your stories elsewhere, yeesh you encounter some major entitlement complexes in that field

Going from retail to teaching has been such a major power switch, because you say goodbye to the terribly generic customer is always right bullshit and instead step into a role of authority

Which leads me on to one of the most awkward moments of my life: going to a school for an interview and realising that one of the 16/17-year old students there was the same girl who drunkenly made a pass at you three days ago at a bar

Awwwwkward

Double fucking awkward if I end up doing support for a class that she goes to

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh my god Edcrab that is the best

Did she recognize you

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Haha yeah, I broke up with a lady on New Years just after I brought her back to her place from a party. We'd only been dating for about 3 months and I had been realizing that she annoyed the fuck out of me for about a month, and then at the party it just became inescapably obvious that I wanted nothing more to do with her. The awkward part was that she'd volunteered me to give a couple she knows a ride to the party, so we were saddled with them and when we got back to her apartment, I just pulled up and didn't park. They figured it out pretty quickly and just muttered, "well uh, good night I guess". And then I dumped Tami and felt relieved. :)

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah I really liked this girl, we were just pretty terrible at being a couple, so I felt so bad about what I ended up doing, but my hand was kinda forced, and lying about it would've meant another couple of weeks in a relationship that was stagnating, which could've been real bad, knowing my nature.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Straightzi wrote: »

Did she recognize you

She was walking towards me as I was being given a tour by the department's head

She kind of gave me a nod and a smile... and then I think she registered that I was wearing a Visitor tag and posh clothes and she kind of cut across us and vanished down a side corridor very very fast

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Edcrab wrote: »

Did she recognize you

She was walking towards me as I was being given a tour by the department's head

She kind of gave me a nod and a smile... and then I think she registered that I was wearing a Visitor tag and posh clothes and she kind of cut across us and vanished down a side corridor very very fast

Ahahaha yes this is going great places

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah I really liked this girl, we were just pretty terrible at being a couple, so I felt so bad about what I ended up doing, but my hand was kinda forced, and lying about it would've meant another couple of weeks in a relationship that was stagnating, which could've been real bad, knowing my nature.

Yeah awkward or not it's the right thing to do in that situation I guess: and it's sure as hell classier than seasonal text message breakups

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    In Tami's case, all she really had going for her was a pretty face, a nice rack, and an interest in scuba. However she was incredibly boring to fuck and had all the personality and intelligence of a cardboard box.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    L|ama wrote: »
    I'll be honest

as dumb as that is, I would quite possibly be running right out there to see if any sand got turned into glass

we once glassed some sand in a public park five years ago, we being me and my high school friends

it was a Co2 canister filled with gunpowder, with five ziploc bags of gunpowder wrapped to it, surrounded by six 40oz bottles of kerosene

my buddy rigged up an electric detonator and we all watched from ~20 feet half behind a log when he flipped it open and hit the switch all movie-style

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Edcrab wrote: »
    Hah, nice story Hunter

And Sara I remember you mentioning some of your stories elsewhere, yeesh you encounter some major entitlement complexes in that field

Going from retail to teaching has been such a major power switch, because you say goodbye to the terribly generic customer is always right bullshit and instead step into a role of authority

Which leads me on to one of the most awkward moments of my life: going to a school for an interview and realising that one of the 16/17-year old students there was the same girl who drunkenly made a pass at you three days ago at a bar

Awwwwkward

Double fucking awkward if I end up doing support for a class that she goes to

Oh man, that's weird.

My buddy went into teaching and he had that issue for years because he looked so young he could pass as a high school student. It wasn't until he grew a beard that they left him alone.

Although, he did score a few times with girls coming back after their freshmen year of college. He figured they were 18 or older, and were not at the school he taught at so why not.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Man I am going to have such problems if I end up teaching

Which is incredibly likely, honestly

I am one of the youngest looking dudes in existence

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I am almost certainly going to end up an English teacher of some manifestation. I'm really good with kids and people, but the more I interact with them, the more I hate stuff on the inside. I'm like this vitriol spewing, hateful, bastard but nobody knows unless they need to.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man I am going to have such problems if I end up teaching

Which is incredibly likely, honestly

I am one of the youngest looking dudes in existence

just don't wear a backpack

the young teacher at my high school who wore a backpack always got mistaken for a student, while the ones who did not were not

satansfingers on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wear tweed jackets and smoke a corncob pipe

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Pffft I look about 12 but I won't have any issues with it in the long run

I mean it's not like students frequently drink a lot and end up inebriated and liable to hit on people who they'd never hit on in normal circumstances

Right?

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    All you dudes who complain about lookin' young are being silly

No way you can look that young

Though I do know this girl who is 23 and I would swear was like 17 if I didn't know better

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    HeavyVillainHeavyVillain Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Fandyien wrote: »
    I am almost certainly going to end up an English teacher of some manifestation. I'm really good with kids and people, but the more I interact with them, the more I hate stuff on the inside. I'm like this vitriol spewing, hateful, bastard but nobody knows unless they need to.

Im increasingly sure that you're just an edcrab alt

Hang on wait you came first

ed is actually Fandyien

HeavyVillain on
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    my brother is 5 years older than me and people always think he's the younger one

it's all because i have a beard and he has a baby smooth face

satansfingers on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Wear tweed jackets and smoke a corncob pipe

Already halfway there

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Though I do know this girl who is 23 and I would swear was like 17 if I didn't know better
    30149_1312332163520_1087110187_30806145_6924373_n.jpg

Hi I'm a guy who can drink legally.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

When I was dating my wife when we were in college, she would be asked if she wanted a kids menu.

She's 31 now, and people still ask her if she just graduated college.

Hunter on
  • Options
    Josiah_9Josiah_9 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I used to work for a conference center, the kind of place that provides rooms for up to a couple hundred people, all the audio/visual tech you need and feeds your group lunch/dinner.
    I was the 2nd in command of the service department (head go-for) and took care of most of the clients immediate needs. I worked in the state capital at the time and the Governor had created some bureaucratic waste of taxpayers money.
    So, this group is everything I hated in a group: full of self-absorbed “important people”, over demanding to a fault, and no matter how many times they came in they would never confirm for enough people. They would also make us rearrange the set up every time they came in.
    On the day in question all my coworkers are in a tizzy because the Governor is coming today. My day starts as usual, the head of the group shows up and wants me to rearrange the set up for a hundred people in the half hour before they show up. I get to work and get it done, and as I finish I go out on a smoke break. As soon as I light up, I get radioed that the meeting is starting, but it looks like they have 20 or so extra people.
    Now, I am a little pissed that I don’t get to smoke put to be honest I expected it. I run up to the room and start bringing in extra fold up tables and chairs as the meeting starts. The tables that we used for this room CANNOT be set up quietly. The locking mechanism that keeps the legs closed for storage is plastic and metal, the metal grinds and the plastic pops loudly when you open them.
    So I am in zoned out working, Bang! Pop!, Bang! Pop!, Bang! Pop!, when I notice that it is unusually quite. I start to replay the last few minutes of the Governor in my head. “So and So has passed sense our last meeting lets have a moment of silence in respect.

:?

Josiah_9 on
    Saturate.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    my brother is 5 years older than me and people always think he's the younger one

it's all because i have a beard and he has a baby smooth face

hah, this happened to me yesterday

My brother is six years older then me and we went to the local neighborhood coffee place to get some coffee and ran into one of his high school teachers with whom he had taught last semester and spent 4 years taking classes with so he knows her quite well

She thought I was the older one even though I had just shaved off my beard and he has a goatee-stache thing

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm almost 44 and I often get people thinking I'm in my mid 30s

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm worried my vices will start taking their toll on my appearance sooner rather then later, though

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    Drew-BDrew-B Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I look too young to be taken very seriously.

It's dog shit.

Drew-B on
This discussion has been closed.