As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Legal help. It involves business and property.

DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Long story short. My grandfather purchased a property many years ago. He had all of the documents in regard to that property signed and notarized by the state. He paid taxes and did everything required for the land and building for about 15 years before selling to another party.

A few years after that a third party emerged and claimed that the property was sold to my grandfather illegally and that he should pay for any losses incurred in that 15 year period. He did so.

Now present day. The party that my grandfather paid is deceased along with the original owner who my grandfather believed he made a legal purchase from.

Given the situation is he able to recover any sort of damages or reparations from the state for having paid taxes etc on land and property he did not actually own or receive some sort of commiseration for the hardships he had to endure during the legal battle which he eventually had to forfeit because of failing health?

steam_sig.png
DasUberEdward on

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Uh. Go talk to a lawyer. I am a lawyer. I can't give you an opinion, nor can anyone else, without poking through all the documents myself, though my initial and fairly certain impression is "no" on having either a cause of action against the state or other parties. You shouldn't have a problem getting a free consult with a lawyer, which is what you need to do next.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    HerkimerHerkimer Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    kaliyama wrote: »
    Uh. Go talk to a lawyer.

Yeah, this. I can't legally give you any advice on your situation, and even if I could, legally, ethically, I can't. And any non-lawyer who gives you advice is, no offense, not doing you a damn bit of good. You need to sit down with a lawyer who's licensed in your state, and tell him/her everything you know about the situation. If you have any sort of documents regarding the matter, might as well bring them too.

Herkimer on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah that is what i am figuring. He kind of dumped a load of documents on me since I was a pre-law student and I am looking at everything and very confused.

I think the big issue here is has there ever been a precedent of a person who paid taxes on a property they did not own to receive reparations?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah that is what i am figuring. He kind of dumped a load of documents on me since I was a pre-law student and I am looking at everything and very confused.

I think the big issue here is has there ever been a precedent of a person who paid taxes on a property they did not own to receive reparations?

You're about six steps ahead of yourself. Talk to a lawyer. As a parallel bit of advice, a "pre-law" major is the biggest waste of your time imaginable and you should be doing something intellectually stimulating and rewarding before you consign yourself to the practice of law.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    edited July 2010

if you tell me what state you're in, I can possibly direct you toward some lawyers to talk to, but seriously, in the context of this thread, this "oh hey has there been precedent xyz" is not going to work. Even if I knew the answer (I don't) I couldn't tell you without getting balls deep in potential shit

Herkimer on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

You're about six steps ahead of yourself. Talk to a lawyer. As a parallel bit of advice, a "pre-law" major is the biggest waste of your time imaginable and you should be doing something intellectually stimulating and rewarding before you consign yourself to the practice of law.

ahh i know that and pre-law definitely isn't my major.

i'm philosophy major. pre-law minor (i don't even want to go to law school anymore. but again. superfluous. they came to me hoping for answers and i don't have them

jokes aside. i'm neither because i dropped out after 3 and a half years. but this isn't about me. I just don't know what to make of this situation.

I'm in Ohio.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010

jokes aside. i'm neither because i dropped out after 3 and a half years. but this isn't about me. I just don't know what to make of this situation.

I'm in Ohio.
    Talk to a lawyer.

I don't think I know anyone in Ohio, so I can't directly refer you to anyone, but shoot out some calls. Shitcan anyone who feels sleazy to you; there are plenty of good lawyers who do this kind of one-off work that you don't have to settle for a shyster. And good luck.

AND TALK TO A LAWYER IRL

Herkimer on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Where in ohio?

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Where in ohio?

Canton. Northeast Ohio.

I want to give him decent advice but I really don't know what to say. Basically the majority of the whole thing will be handed down to me and if that's the case I would like to have some idea if this even has a chance of being a viable case.

As far as I understand it from a criminal standpoint. He made a purchase that was not legal and it's his problem. . .

but when they bring in that he has payed taxes for the last 15 years I am confused.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I know some Ohioans in the legal community and will ask if they can suggest anyone. No promises, though, as my professional network is the corporate bar.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Quite alright. I don't expect a lot out of this and I mostly believe he has been taken legally but I do not want to crush his dream if there is a chance.

I know it is a convoluted story and I appreciate your advice.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wait, are you sure the property was sold to him illegally? That's where I'd start digging around (with a lawyer!) if I were you. It sounds kind ridiculous that someone would emerge to make this claim fifteen years after the sale.

Marty81 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Marty81 wrote: »
    Wait, are you sure the property was sold to him illegally? That's where I'd start digging around (with a lawyer!) if I were you. It sounds kind ridiculous that someone would emerge to make this claim fifteen years after the sale.

I can't say. From all of the documentation I have read his purchase of the property looked to be absolutely legitimate.

Fifteen years down the line (after he sold it to another party) an heir appears and demands restitution for the property that was supposedly sold illegally. My grandfather falls into some health issues and gives up fighting the case.

All of this is 100% verifiable. I just don't want to get his hopes up or put him through another stressful situation if the case is tenuous. As I understand it the heir who filed for restitution is now deceased so I am thinking I should tell him to give up.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ok, IAAL, but I am not your lawyer. This does not constitute legal advice.

First and foremost make an appointment to see a real estate lawyer. A real estate lawyer in your jurisdiction should be versed in the local law enough to give you a simple yes/no answer in a consultation.

Before you go, look through your stack of documents and look for anything relating to title insurance, and give that to the lawyer. Title insurance exists for basically this reason, defaults in the title causing damages. Basically study the stack of documents so that you can quickly and reasonably answer the lawyers questions, and hopefully you can get an answer right then and there.

Simpsonia on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Will do.

I just didn't want to incur any unnecessary cost before presenting the whole thing if it was hopeless.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i had no idea there were quite a few lawyer forumers here. i only know of a few law students like myself :o

while also echoing the advice of getting a free consult from practicing lawyer, i would also say you should look out for anything in those docs indicating the property's chain of ownership. who owned the property before ther person who sold the property to your grandfather, and all that.

VERY generally speaking, towns and cities often retain records of property transfers. it's been a while since i studied property law, but that would be a good thing to look out for.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562