As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer Problem Diagnosis

RT800RT800 Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So i don't know very much about computers or how to fix them. Mine's broke. I think it's the video card. I don't really know it's the video card though, which makes me reluctant to buy a replacement.

Describing the symptoms: Watchin' a YouTube video on fullscreen. Screen freezes, audio freezes, computer won't respond to anything. I flick the power switch, turn it back on. Seems normal. Few minutes later, it happens again. Switch-off switch-on, it boots up with scrambled graphics, eventually freezes. I leave it alone for a day hoping it will magically fix itself (haha). It doesn't.

So basically my question is: now what? Should I buy a new graphics card? Could it be something else?

RT800 on

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Could be a number of things. Knowing more about your computer would help... like at least the make/model.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Does it freeze only when you play video or will it freeze just sitting there after you have booted?

BlindZenDriver on
    Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If it's only watching a youtube video that does it, it's most likely a software issue. If other things do it, it could be your video card or your RAM, or again a software issue.

Without knowing anything else, you could simply start swapping parts to see if that fixes it.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well it first happened while watching a YouTube video, but since then it just happens during bootup or shortly thereafter before I even have a chance to do anything.

I don't know much about the computer. I can try to dig up some of the specifics, though the only way I know to find them is to check the computer itself, which won't reliably boot-up.

What little I do remember is that it's 4 gigs of RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo processor... either nVidia GeForce 8600 or 8800 graphics card. Operating system is Windows Vista. I dunno if that helps.

RT800 on
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Figgy wrote: »
    Without knowing anything else, you could simply start swapping parts to see if that fixes it.
    Yea, and video card is easy. You most likely have onboard video w/ your MOBO.
    So just pull out the card and see if it stops.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    nescientistnescientist Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If you're up to it, a Linux live cd is a good way to remove software issues from the equation without actually messing with your present system. The CD runs a version of Linux straight from your CD or USB drive, leaving your current Vista install untouched. I guess try to do something that taxes the graphics card and see if you get the same issue. If you don't, then the problem is probably with your windows install and you might as well backup your stuff then just nuke (ie, reformat) the machine and reinstall the OS with your OS CD (sometimes this is cleverly disguised as a "System Restore" disc with your OEM's logo on there; nevermind this, it's a god-damned OS CD).

If the same problem shows in Linux then you've confirmed a hardware issue, and then you're pretty much boned. The only conceivable at-home fix would be to clean out the inside of your computer (best way I've found is with canned air). Over time dust just cakes in there and this can bring vital cooling fans to a grinding halt. So if you get those fans clean and they're spinning fine (or you just run GPU-Z and eyeball the temps yourself) and you're still having problems then something's broken. Not necessarily your video card really.

So, start by removing the video card from the equation. If you have nowhere to plug your monitor in after removing the video card, then you don't have an on-board card and you're going to need a spare card to test. Borrow one from a friend. If the video card is innocent of wrongdoing then it's probably either your RAM or the motherboard itself. Borrow the rest of your friend's computer for this testing (maybe cook the friend dinner or something, because this could get a little time-consuming)

EDIT: I once had a power supply die, and as it went it seemed like graphics card problems because my huge power-thirsty 7800gtx wasn't getting enough power. This is probably pretty unusual though, and you should hope it isn't what's happening to you. When power supplies die, they have a nasty habit of taking out other important bits with them.

nescientist on
  • Options
    theclamtheclam Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sounds like overheating, a broken/inadequate power supply, or bad RAM to me. Clean out the fans and run this: http://www.memtest.org/

theclam on
    rez_guy.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Unfortunately the motherboard has no on-board video and I don't have access to another video card. The interior and fans were already pretty clean, but I dusted them out with compressed air and a vacuum as best I could anyway. The problem persists.

To better describe exactly what happens: I boot up and everything is normal. I make it to the desktop and a few seconds later blue "static" appears all over the screen on top of the icons and wallpaper. The mouse cursor blips around on the screen (as opposed to a smooth animation) and eventually the whole thing just freezes.

Possibly related, but maybe not: For a few weeks prior to this, the computer would occasionally reset my screen resolution for no apparent reason. For instance, I'd put the computer into power-saving mode at 1024x760 and it'd come back at 800x600 and I'd have to reset it. This happened frequently, but not always.

One thing that has given me pause in blaming the video card entirely is the fact that when the display froze while watching that YouTube video (the entire screen, not just the video), so too did the audio. The freeze happened mid-sentence and the audio repeated continuously. I'm not sure if that would happen if the problem was solely with the video card.

RT800 on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    RT800 wrote: »
    Unfortunately the motherboard has no on-board video

How old is this computer?

Chanus on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Chanus wrote: »
    RT800 wrote: »
    Unfortunately the motherboard has no on-board video

How old is this computer?

If this is to imply that his computer must be really old if his motherboard doesn't have onboard video, that's silly. In the dozens of PCs I've built over the years, I have yet to use a motherboard with onboard video.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Chanus, higher end motherboards don't have onboard video. He's running 4gb of RAM and a C2D, so it can't be too old.

From the symptoms described up to now, it's almost certainly a videocard problem. Try uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, in the hopeful event of them only being corrupted. But it seems like your card finally bit the dust.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well, I stand corrected.

I had never seen a motherboard without on-board video. I also don't do much involving high-end gaming rigs.

Chanus on
  • Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You can also park the machine in BIOS for awhile and see what happens. Watch your temps in there and see what's going on.

Probably not very useful though, since I think it's the video card. When you checked your fans, did you check the video card fan? Look at it closely, sometimes they fail without completely stopping. They're spinning, but it's so slow that they aren't really cooling anything. If you try to stop it with your finger on the hub it should resist a bit. When you let go it should spin back up quick with little or no wobble. If you can see the individual blades it's going too slow.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'd start with drivers first, could be a corrupt video card driver that is causing that. , I also agree with AtomBomb, check out the fan on the video card itself.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041