As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wetshaving and safety razors

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I'm not a fan of heavily scented products, so it's not quite what you're looking for, but after I shave my head I give my melon a quick rub-down to a couple of ice cubes. Closes up the pores and shrinks up any weepers, and doesn't leave me smelling like a fratboy for the rest of the day. And it's cheap, as in free.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Agreed, I find that a good ol' splash of cold water is enough for my face outside of the summer. During humid weather my face itches like crazy after shaving, unfortunately.

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Apparently, Walgreen's now carries an As Seen On TV safety razor. I left my usual razor at home so as not to get hassled by the TSA, but I couldn't stand not shaving for that long and picked this thing up.

It actually seems like a reasonable butterfly style razor. The blades are definitely not awesome, and I ended up buying some from art of shaving.

Still, not a bad last minute purchase for $20.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    $20 DE shouldn't be expected to be the best thing ever, anyhow. Still beats those disposable face manglers I've tried in the past.

I've been quite happy with my Edwin Jagger, even if it's not exactly premium. When I want to feel fancy, I use a straight razor.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    After three years I started using my safety razor again when an Art of Shaving venue introduced me to shaving oil, which I was not using.

Now I can use the damn thing without carving my face up. I also bought a stand, to prevent the incident where I reached for a toothbrush, grabbed the razor instead and was bleeding for half an hour.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Cantido wrote: »
    After three years I started using my safety razor again when an Art of Shaving venue introduced me to shaving oil, which I was not using.

Now I can use the damn thing without carving my face up. I also bought a stand, to prevent the incident where I reached for a toothbrush, grabbed the razor instead and was bleeding for half an hour.

Yeah! Shaving oil was a big help to me too, but I've found Art of Shaving ridiculously overpriced. It's $25 for 2oz, and the unscented oil is somehow scented. Clove, lavender and pepper are actually pretty irritating for your skin, and that's not what you want right before a shave.

That's not to say it hurts more than it helps, but there are better alternatives.

An ordinary bottle of mineral oil is $8.75 for 16oz on Amazon. Some people in this very thread have even endorsed olive oil too.

templewulf on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    templewulf wrote: »

Yeah! Shaving oil was a big help to me too, but I've found Art of Shaving ridiculously overpriced. It's $25 for 2oz, and the unscented oil is somehow scented. Clove, lavender and pepper are actually pretty irritating for your skin, and that's not what you want right before a shave.

That's not to say it hurts more than it helps, but there are better alternatives.

An ordinary bottle of mineral oil is $8.75 for 16oz on Amazon. Some people in this very thread have even endorsed olive oil too.

Almond oil and coconut oil also work and may work better than olive since they absorb into your skin as opposed to tending to sit on it like olive oil does. They also make great moisturizers for the skin as well.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Woo, my shaving kit came in today.

LMdnM6L.jpg

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options

Almond oil and coconut oil also work and may work better than olive since they absorb into your skin as opposed to tending to sit on it like olive oil does. They also make great moisturizers for the skin as well.

I've never tried almond oil, but I know coconut oil is popular in lots of hygiene products for skin and hair for that reason.

For now, I just need to figure out a suitably gentlemanly method of storing and using shaving oil. Bourbon decanter?

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Coconut oil is great for everything. I use it for cooking and I used it to soften my beard when I had one.

Also, good luck @Stabbity Style; I just wanted to say though that I recommend trying out Feather blades. They are super sharp and I've had the best experience with them (never any burrs or badly honed blades) but everyone's experience differs so don't take my word for it.

• Options
    m!ttens wrote: »
    Coconut oil is great for everything. I use it for cooking and I used it to soften my beard when I had one.

Also, good luck @Stabbity Style; I just wanted to say though that I recommend trying out Feather blades. They are super sharp and I've had the best experience with them (never any burrs or badly honed blades) but everyone's experience differs so don't take my word for it.

I don't know if it's just the power of suggestion, but I tend to cut myself way less with Feathers. Other blades tended to catch more often. Oil + Feathers made me feel way more capable!

• Options
    musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »

I don't know if it's just the power of suggestion, but I tend to cut myself way less with Feathers. Other blades tended to catch more often. Oil + Feathers made me feel way more capable!

I believe this relates to my philosophy regarding the knives I carry with me...the sharper they are the safer I feel. When the knife cuts right through stuff there is almost no force applied and you can be delicate and precise. When it's dull you end up pushing and dragging more and that's when things can get ugly.

sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    Everyone's face, hair, and skin are different so some people are going to do really well with Feathers. I did pretty well with them but Astra blades seemed to cut my hair just as well while being gentler on my precious flesh.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Oh, forgot to post the results.

Before:
    YxI4f1A.jpg

After:
    qFEGNAH.jpg

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    You cut some of the black from your shirt.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I got a Merkur DE razor and Persona blades. I do not have shaving cream (or a brush) and I just had to get my wisdom teeth removed so money is tight. Eventually though!

Edit: I have shaving gel.

Magus` on
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    @Magus`,

You can get a pretty okay brush for around $10 on the 'Zon; don't feel like you need to drop $50+, that's just crazy talk. I would recommend trying to find a 100% badger brush over a boar-hair brush as the badgers are much softer on your skin and build up a nicer lather.

I personally like milled soap but other folks have had success with glycerin soaps as well. I've used non-foaming creams before (usually when traveling) and they work okay in a pinch, especially when trying to save space and weight.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Thanks, I'll keep it in mind!

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Magus` wrote: »
    I got a Merkur DE razor and Persona blades. I do not have shaving cream (or a brush) and I just had to get my wisdom teeth removed so money is tight. Eventually though!

I got a brush that is all vegan for pretty cheap. It's the older cousin to this Omega brush: http://smile.amazon.com/Handle-Syntex-Synthetic-Shaving-Cruelty/dp/B004L08KSO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1447914925&sr=8-4&keywords=vegan+shaving+brush

I like a lot of different shaving soaps and creams, but even some of the cheap creams are pretty good. Like http://smile.amazon.com/Derby-Shaving-Cream-Lemon-Ounce/dp/B00615QJ0S/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1447914990&sr=8-7&keywords=lemon+shaving+cream

Finally, I find that a small application of oil before soap makes more difference than a big soap upgrade. You can use any skin-safe oil. I just ordered some of this: http://smile.amazon.com/Swan-Mineral-Oil-USP-oz/dp/B005BUNQSM/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1447915111&sr=8-8&keywords=mineral+oil

@m!ttens is right! Just taking your time and doing all the different steps is more important than your brand of products.

templewulf on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Magus` wrote: »

I went back to gel after trying brush/soap for a few months. I just get a better shave. Go with whatever works best.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I just got a safety razor!

Van der Hagen, also got their shave butter and soap.

Didn't notice a huge difference to be honest. Used it just like my old multiblade. Maybe I'm missing something?

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Forgot my shaving gear, and bought this while in Thailand:
    GL1000_l.jpg

Shaves comparatively well, for a cheap, light plastic razor. It was something like 20 baht, so... 50 cents?
    Uses DE blades, so still better than those disposables.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

Didn't notice a huge difference to be honest. Used it just like my old multiblade. Maybe I'm missing something?

How much stubble did you have? Safety razors work best every day or every other depending on thickness of your beard. If you had a few days stubble the first shave isn't going to be very close.

Also the angle for safety razors is very important, the wrong angle and you won't get as clean a cut, or it will glide over the hairs.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

How much stubble did you have? Safety razors work best every day or every other depending on thickness of your beard. If you had a few days stubble the first shave isn't going to be very close.

Also the angle for safety razors is very important, the wrong angle and you won't get as clean a cut, or it will glide over the hairs.

I have like, peach fuss after 3 days of not shaving.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    haha. Nice!

Blades make a big difference too. It's usually worth picking up a sampler pack to try out a few different ones.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options

Some of the differences will vary greatly from person to person as we all have different faces and skin.

You have much finer hair apparently so a few won't apply to you.

A good shave soap will feel a lot nicer than an canned cream but not all shave soaps are as rich. And if you don't have skin that's as sensitive as others, you may not feel it as much either.

A difference you WILL notice though is how much cheaper the replacement blades are. After the initial outlay it's much less expensive to maintain the equipment so long as you don't start collecting things.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I got a Merkur Long Handle and a DE Razor Mix Pack via Amazon from the good woman almost five years ago along with an Escali 100% Badger Hair Brush and I still have not replaced anything. In fact, I'm maybe half through the razor mix pack and I shave twice a week. Total cost was fifty bucks including the stand and a random shave soap I put in a coffee mug.

I cannot tell you how much more I like shaving like this. It makes the process more of a ritual than a nuisance and is kind of fun!

Although, at least for my skin, those Shark Blades are goddamn terrors. They shred my skin like crazy and I'm thinking about just tossing them.

My favorites have been the 7 a.m. and the Astra Platinum.

Stay away from those fucking Sharks, though.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    So, I have a new acquisition! I'm pretty pumped to add it to the collection. I've since polished off the SRP logo on the face of the blade.

Spoilered for size:

hddgpixbkyid.jpg

• Options

A difference you WILL notice though is how much cheaper the replacement blades are. After the initial outlay it's much less expensive to maintain the equipment so long as you don't start collecting things.

This part I especially agree with. I bought a hundred pack of feather blades, and I honestly don't even remember how long ago that was. Over a year, I think?

It was 30USD.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    jmcdonald wrote: »
    So, I have a new acquisition! I'm pretty pumped to add it to the collection. I've since polished off the SRP logo on the face of the blade.

Spoilered for size:

hddgpixbkyid.jpg

Awesome!

I've been using a straight razor for about a year now. It's pretty bitching, except for the time it takes to shave. That's why it's mostly in weekend use, so I can take it slow and methodical. It's almost like meditation to shave with it.
    75399d1312778734-srd-dovo-best-quality-black-5-8-straight-razor-set-51f5b32b125fd8bfb6f54f1d8712047e.image.750x388.jpg

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    This part I especially agree with. I bought a hundred pack of feather blades, and I honestly don't even remember how long ago that was. Over a year, I think?

It was 30USD.

Yeah, it's silly how cheap blades are in bulk. Last time I ordered blades I threw in some shave oil because it felt like I was ripping them off otherwise.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Ah, so this is razor burn.

Do not like.

JusticeforPluto on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

Do not like.
    Witch Hazel does wonders and I like Nivea fragrance-free aftershave lotion to complete my routine.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

How did you use your old multi blade?

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options

Do not like.
    Witch Hazel does wonders and I like Nivea fragrance-free aftershave lotion to complete my routine.

I used the badge hair brush and soap for the first time. Must not of used enought lather.

Applying some shave butter on after wards seems to have helped.

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    Make sure not to push down hard on the handle; ideally the blade should be doing most of the hard work.

• Options
    Gim wrote: »
    Make sure not to push down hard on the handle; ideally the blade should be doing most of the hard work.

Yeah, I like to think of it as brushing your hair. You don't grind the bristles of a brush into your scalp, right? Just brush the blade through the hair itself. No pressure whatsoever.

I also find a coating of shave oil goes a long way to keep small mistakes from turning into bleeding. I use plain mineral oil in a rad and gentlemanly glass pump. http://images.prod.meredith.com/product/f4f1569f0336731b9d9556d00c6108b0/7e026cae820cec2bcdf73f8a99ff7e8b83b28bcf544a931efc37453dae32ffe3/m/threshold-antique-glass-soap-dispenser-blue

• Options

Do not like.

I used the badge hair brush and soap for the first time. Must not of used enought lather.

Applying some shave butter on after wards seems to have helped.

It's easy to underlather your first few times. Compare what you produce versus what others get with the same setup and soap. You can probably find some photos from when people do reviews of a soap.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Instances of razor burn and cuts are at an all time high. I also have a patch of minute pimples.

Maybe I'm under lathering still, or shaving to often (I though I heard safety razors work best when used every day) for the amount of hair I have. Either way, never had these issues with my multiblade. Kinda at a loss as to why.

• Options
    Instances of razor burn and cuts are at an all time high. I also have a patch of minute pimples.

Maybe I'm under lathering still, or shaving to often (I though I heard safety razors work best when used every day) for the amount of hair I have. Either way, never had these issues with my multiblade. Kinda at a loss as to why.

That kinda sounds odd, since most people have the exact opposite progression. Are you shaving against the grain? For some people that causes the pimples.